Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Have you guys seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRkYP7wnD40

Pretty cool, but uhh wow at doing it all in AE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Dang that guy went allll out on reconstructing the exact look he wanted to pay homage to. At first I was like "Why not just build this stuff in 3d and then do contour rendering?" but as it went on I saw all the things he thought of and man. Impressive.

Near the end of that video he mentions being inspired by this animator who made an 80 minute film by himself: https://creators.vice.com/en_uk/article/kbndam/animator-hand-draws-film-in-4-years-nova-seed

Gotta hand it to these people. I know one person personally who made a feature length animated film called Boxhead and Roundhead, and there's a couple of guy in Japan who have singlehandedly created 30-40 minute films by themselves (one is the guy who later directed Your Name.) That's serious work ethic.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 13, 2018

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Has anyone ever used a Thickness map before? I got one for a mesh from a client that I need to hook up to a shader in Max, but I have never heard of such a map. It's got a Red/Orange/Purple/Yellow spectrum and seems different from a Depth Map, which are greyscale. I think it was exported from substance?

Putty fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 14, 2018

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Putty posted:

Has anyone ever used a Thickness map before? I got one for a mesh from a client that I need to hook up to a shader in Max, but I have never heard of such a map. It's got a Red/Orange/Purple/Yellow spectrum and seems different from a Depth Map, which are greyscale. I think it was exported from substance?

Are its RGB channels showing something when you look at them in isolation?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's a map used to simulate subsurface scattering if that helps.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Odddzy posted:

Are its RGB channels showing something when you look at them in isolation?

Nothing really distinct. I did suspect channel packing at first but the reference didn't seem to have any need for that.

Synthbuttrange posted:

It's a map used to simulate subsurface scattering if that helps.

Yeah hooking it up to scattering on the physical shader gave me the most notable results, but not what I wanted. I actually found out today that the client gave us the completely wrong assets, so it's moot at this point. Thanks to you both though!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Hi thread. I've always been interested in 3d but never really spent the time to better myself. I farted around with POVRay years ago, but I'm too dumb for that poo poo. I also had some cracked copy of Rhino a long time ago and spent a lot of time learning hard-surface modelling (the wrong way w/NURBS), saving as mesh and importing that into POVRay. I never got very far.

Anyway, fast forward 100 years and I decided to give it a whack again. I picked up Blender two weeks ago and am trying to learn it. I'm embarrassed to post this here, but I suppose people who are good telling me why what I'm doing sucks is going to be a great motivator. My first modelling attempt after spending several days learning all the keyboard shortcuts was based on a bottle my wife got from one of her old companies. I added a simple fake company logo to learn Blender UV mapping and then added way too much vignetting to learn the Blender comp system.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Lol whats up Rhino buddy

I also learned to model a bit with it and also hosed me up because Nurbs are weird (I thought it was the future, double lol).

Anyway the render looks good... I don’t use Blender but I thought models were supposed to be all quads these days? Or that was preferred, instead of triangles.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Lol whats up Rhino buddy

I also learned to model a bit with it and also hosed me up because Nurbs are weird (I thought it was the future, double lol).

Anyway the render looks good... I don’t use Blender but I thought models were supposed to be all quads these days? Or that was preferred, instead of triangles.

It is all quads. Blender has a wireframe material node that shows triangles for some reason.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Lol whats up Rhino buddy

A lot of renderers convert the quads to triangles at render time, I think the quads are more important for the purposes of animation?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Listerine posted:

A lot of renderers convert the quads to triangles at render time, I think the quads are more important for the purposes of animation?

Yep. Triangles are bad on subdivided meshes because of unpredictable and ugly creasing they cause, especially in animation. But that's just for the low-poly base mesh, before subdivision. After subdivision it doesn't matter if there are triangles, and in fact at render time all polygons are converted to triangles because that's how they are rendered.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Quads don't actually exist. They are a shortcut provided by the modeling package for ease of understanding and control.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'll go one step further: cgi is actually fake

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Oldstench posted:

Anyway, fast forward 100 years and I decided to give it a whack again. I picked up Blender two weeks ago and am trying to learn it. I'm embarrassed to post this here, but I suppose people who are good telling me why what I'm doing sucks is going to be a great motivator. My first modelling attempt after spending several days learning all the keyboard shortcuts was based on a bottle my wife got from one of her old companies. I added a simple fake company logo to learn Blender UV mapping and then added way too much vignetting to learn the Blender comp system.

You're off to a good start man, just break things down and don't overwhelm yourself and you'll be golden.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

ceebee posted:

You're off to a good start man, just break things down and don't overwhelm yourself and you'll be golden.

I appreciate that. I am already overwhelmed. It's mindblowing how little I know.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Oldstench posted:

I appreciate that. I am already overwhelmed. It's mindblowing how little I know.

I have been doing this for 16 years, it is normal to feel this way - know it, but don't let it bother you. Be aware of it without feeling constrained by it I guess!

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 18, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Another zbrush Inktober.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

Oldstench posted:

Hi thread. I've always been interested in 3d but never really spent the time to better myself. I farted around with POVRay years ago, but I'm too dumb for that poo poo. I also had some cracked copy of Rhino a long time ago and spent a lot of time learning hard-surface modelling (the wrong way w/NURBS), saving as mesh and importing that into POVRay. I never got very far.

I’m “the 3D guy” at my work, and it looks like you already know way more about Blender than me.

Blender-related rant: I’ve had to use it at work recently for exporting to gltf and everything about it pisses me off. Can’t rearrange meshes in the outliner. Right click is left click. Is the opportunity cost involved in learning the interface really worth it? At least with Zbrush there’s a payoff.

I’m missing something here.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

raging bullwinkle posted:

I’m “the 3D guy” at my work, and it looks like you already know way more about Blender than me.

Blender-related rant: I’ve had to use it at work recently for exporting to gltf and everything about it pisses me off. Can’t rearrange meshes in the outliner. Right click is left click. Is the opportunity cost involved in learning the interface really worth it? At least with Zbrush there’s a payoff.

It's free.

Also you can switch the left/right-click thing in the settings. File->User Preferences->Input->"Select With:"

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Blender works pretty similar to Max and Maya, and like them it has its own quirks. But it’s incredibly full featured, so you may just need to figure out why it does what it does.

First up, outliner - no, you can’t sort directly. But you can search by name, organize by visible, and dive deep into how the assets are referenced, and when combined with the layer setup in 2.79 and below, is more functional in some respects than just sorting a-z or z-a. Note that outliner treats capitals different, so you can sort by lowercase and capital first letters.
Remember that you can make multiple outliner windows too - I like to have one set to “visible only” and the other set to “selected only”, so I can navigate quicker.
There’s also grouping, which is the most common way to sort besides layers. Grouping is also great for creating asset “packs” which can then be linked into other scenes (ie referenced, so the scene doesn’t contain the asset, only links to it). This is the workflow we use when we render in Cycles - it lets lighters/layout work on the scene at the same time the assets are being worked on.

The right click select thing is the biggest point of contention, but after decades of max and Maya experience, it makes perfect sense. Think of it this way - normally, left click will both select faces and move them. This meant I was constantly accidentally shifting things around in max and Maya. By separating select and action, Blender gives you a bit more control over how to edit meshes.
The 3D cursor button should be set to something else though. I have it set to a thumb mouse button, which makes left click strictly for editing stuff, while right click is for selecting.

From the perspective of a professional Blender artist, I think it’s worth learning. Like any other DCC, it’s a tool, so it’s not worth building your identity around. But it can do pretty amazing stuff, has the best modeling tools I’ve used, and is (very slowly) getting adopted. Still not my first recommendation if someone is looking to break into games or VFX, but the skills do transfer.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
Thanks for the 3D cursor tip. I’ll definitely change that binding.

It might be worth me watching some videos of other people using it so I understand why it’s made the way it is. Maybe all the things I see as mistakes are actually useful in some way, like the selecting/moving separation you mentioned.

I also suspect that the gltf exporter plugin could be causing issues since the software crashes frequently. Like, at least once every hour. Usually when I hit cmd + z. I doubt this is normal Blender behaviour.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Don't expect there to be a good reason for everything, some things just are bad. :v:

Like the outliner, but I believe that's being redone in the next version. The transform orientation system (which enables you to work on arbitrary axes, kind of) is my favorite example, because it's supremely clunky and has either had the same bug for years or works as intended with some inscrutable logic.

The reason you'd want to learn Blender is that you want its capabilities, which are many, but it does have its flaws.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 18, 2018

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Thanks for the 3D cursor tip. I’ll definitely change that binding.

If you could make the right button to a context sensitive menu (vertex, edge, face, object and so on) that would make me really happy. Never figured that out, even with scripting.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

The first thing I did was change the right-click/left-click thing. I just couldn't get used to it behaving the opposite of everything I've ever used.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Right click select is one of the best things Blender does. Means selection (the most common action) does not conflict or interfere with any basic left-click UI interaction (the second most common action). The amount of times I accidentally select when trying to interact with the UI or vice versa in other software is a constant frustration.

Now, I'll grant you 3D cursor being on left click - it's a useful too, but definitely not most-important-computer-button level of usefulness. Not sure why it's set to that.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
is the blender for artists plugin worth trying? wondering if anyone else has experience with it https://www.bforartists.de/

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

im working on making a big package of greebles i can use. anyone got reference/tips on good greebles?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Adam Savage has a lot to say about them. Apparently there's a specific shape that they found super useful and they would use it all over the place on everything. Some kind of dome piece from a specific model kit. He mentioned it in a YouTube video, maybe search Tested for greebles or greeblies.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

mutata posted:

Adam Savage has a lot to say about them. Apparently there's a specific shape that they found super useful and they would use it all over the place on everything. Some kind of dome piece from a specific model kit. He mentioned it in a YouTube video, maybe search Tested for greebles or greeblies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dncRHH9f6MI

It's actually in Kanine's collection already, bottom row sixth from the right.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
That greeble collection is pretty nifty, I gotta make one up at some point!

Been spending a bunch of time in Designer at work, and I feel like I’ve made the biggest breakthroughs with that program this week. Figured out functions, got a handle on a bunch of nodes, and have been able to push the quality of my mats a bit.

Also started making custom variations of procedurals for artists - one guy wanted some specific features added to the brick generator in Painter, so I was able to enhance the generator a ton and gave him some features he didn’t even know he needed!

The second or third asset I ever did in VFX was done through Designer, but I quickly fell into a pattern of only having the time to sit down with it for a couple materials a show at most, everything else was done via Painter.

But I finally got a little break, schedules aligned, and I’ve been able to do material R&D all week for a big set piece.

It might be because I like to work by trial and error, and only go for tutorials when I’m pressed for time or get stuck... but Designer feels like this massive structure I’m unearthing, getting little bits poking up here and there but I don’t know for sure how they connect or what else I’ll find.

Is this what it feels like for you occasional Houdini guys? Where you can use a program professionally but feel like you don’t really know anything about it?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I have a model in Zbrush, it's of the heart and I was looking to extend the pulmonary trunk (one of the large arteries that leaves the heart) and I realized I was working in the wrong view after extending it. I now want to rotate that bit to get it back in the correct plane (image shows the model, I just want to rotate that tube part around the Z axis), and I was wondering how you folks would go about doing that- I can think of a couple methods that I've used in the past, but they were never very easy, lots of stretching that I would have to correct afterwards.

Basically I'm wondering what a pro would do to re-pose a chunk of a model that wasn't a human figure, as I'm sure there's an easier way than how I would work.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Listerine posted:

I have a model in Zbrush, it's of the heart and I was looking to extend the pulmonary trunk (one of the large arteries that leaves the heart) and I realized I was working in the wrong view after extending it. I now want to rotate that bit to get it back in the correct plane (image shows the model, I just want to rotate that tube part around the Z axis), and I was wondering how you folks would go about doing that- I can think of a couple methods that I've used in the past, but they were never very easy, lots of stretching that I would have to correct afterwards.

Basically I'm wondering what a pro would do to re-pose a chunk of a model that wasn't a human figure, as I'm sure there's an easier way than how I would work.

Without knowing the poly flow or UV considerations, I would just mask that area and have a very blurred edge, then use transpose to rotate it into position, then unmask and tweak any weird deformation. If it was weirdly stretched I would zremesh it, unless you need to preserve point count or uvs.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

mutata posted:

Terrorforge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dncRHH9f6MI
It's actually in Kanine's collection already, bottom row sixth from the right.

lol yeah terrorforge is right

update on dem greebles. im at 83 right now. im going to get to 100 small ones and then im going to start on some larger more complex pieces for kitbashing as this set. im thinking when im done i might sell it on gumroad/artstation/etc. like i know anyone could easily do this but i feel like a lot of people might buy it for like $2.00 to save themselves the tedium of making a greeble kit themselves.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Kanine posted:

lol yeah terrorforge is right

update on dem greebles. im at 83 right now. im going to get to 100 small ones and then im going to start on some larger more complex pieces for kitbashing as this set. im thinking when im done i might sell it on gumroad/artstation/etc. like i know anyone could easily do this but i feel like a lot of people might buy it for like $2.00 to save themselves the tedium of making a greeble kit themselves.

Not a bad idea, there’s only a few packs of Greebles in the store (although a couple are free, hard price to beat). If you’ve done the work, why not.

I’d like to do something like this, seems like great practice. I was thinking of modelling logos, or some of those free vector shapes... any suggestions for a newb at modelling

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Listerine posted:

In Houdini I'd do a soft transform with a mask, so basically I'd select the bulk of the trunk and position that with the blend/falloff/smooth transitioning into the trunk/base of the heart. I'd go back over it with a smooth sculpt brush to fix any topology issues.

If it's a super complicated piece of geometry I'd do a temp throwaway rig, lay down a few joints, do a biharmonic capture [volume sample based, so you don't have to paint out shared assignments on veins/branches] and pose it to the new position then bake out the model.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

EoinCannon posted:

Without knowing the poly flow or UV considerations, I would just mask that area and have a very blurred edge, then use transpose to rotate it into position, then unmask and tweak any weird deformation. If it was weirdly stretched I would zremesh it, unless you need to preserve point count or uvs.

This is mostly for 3D printing so I'm not so concerned with poly flow/UVs, but this was generally what I was doing except without the blurred edge. Made all the difference and can't believe I forgot about blurring masks.

Big K of Justice posted:

In Houdini I'd do a soft transform with a mask, so basically I'd select the bulk of the trunk and position that with the blend/falloff/smooth transitioning into the trunk/base of the heart. I'd go back over it with a smooth sculpt brush to fix any topology issues.

Took the time to give this a go, only issue was that I didn't decimate before exporting the .obj from Zbrush so my point count was just way too high and made it hard to actually see the falloff lol. Seems like I could have more control over the transformations/deformations this way.

Big K of Justice posted:

If it's a super complicated piece of geometry I'd do a temp throwaway rig, lay down a few joints, do a biharmonic capture [volume sample based, so you don't have to paint out shared assignments on veins/branches] and pose it to the new position then bake out the model.

I know nothing about rigging, what would be the benefit to doing it this way? Better control over the posing?

Have you tried out the modeling tools with H17? I watched part of a promo video a couple weeks ago but I didn't see anything really cool/new- seems like they're just playing catch-up in that area.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Can anyone recommend any tutorials on modeling theory? I'm interested in hard surface modeling, but the tutorials I've looked at are very product specific. I don't need to know how to do something in Blender or Maya or MAX or whatever, I need to know why I'm making these choices. I've found some documentation on suggestions as to how to move poles around and some minor information on edge-flow, but I really need some help with starting to think like a 3d modeler. Does that make sense?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oldstench posted:

Can anyone recommend any tutorials on modeling theory? I'm interested in hard surface modeling, but the tutorials I've looked at are very product specific. I don't need to know how to do something in Blender or Maya or MAX or whatever, I need to know why I'm making these choices. I've found some documentation on suggestions as to how to move poles around and some minor information on edge-flow, but I really need some help with starting to think like a 3d modeler. Does that make sense?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?GuerrillaCG

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Oldstench posted:

Can anyone recommend any tutorials on modeling theory? I'm interested in hard ysurface modeling, but the tutorials I've looked at are very product specific. I don't need to know how to do something in Blender or Maya or MAX or whatever, I need to know why I'm making these choices. I've found some documentation on suggestions as to how to move poles around and some minor information on edge-flow, but I really need some help with starting to think like a 3d modeler. Does that make sense?

I’m (very slowly) practicing the stuff in Pushing Points by William Vaughan and it’s a very good book about modeling. I’m currently at the “making coffee cups” learning stage, but from what I’ve seen, Grant Warwick is my next thing to check out

Free sample:

https://3dtotal.com/tutorials/t/hard-surface-essentials-grant-warwick-modeling-max#article-video-part-3

Since I’m still not comfortable with Modo, I feel like his full course would be wasted on me, but it’s probably my next target. Has anyone checked it out, is it worth it?

https://masteringcgi.com.au/course/mastering-hs/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

This link is bad, but when I search for that user I'm getting some absolute basic tutorials. I think I might not have been clear. I'm looking for more in-depth stuff on the theory of topology and edge flow that isn't platform specific. I don't need to know how to weld verts or extrude faces in Blender or Maya or whatever. I'm more interested in the theory of proper ways to deal with ngons, going from low density mesh to high density mesh to add details, things like that. Something like this but even more in depth.

e:

I’m (very slowly) practicing the stuff in Pushing Points by William Vaughan and it’s a very good book about modeling. I’m currently at the “making coffee cups” learning stage, but from what I’ve seen, Grant Warwick is my next thing to check out

Free sample:

https://3dtotal.com/tutorials/t/hard-surface-essentials-grant-warwick-modeling-max#article-video-part-3

Since I’m still not comfortable with Modo, I feel like his full course would be wasted on me, but it’s probably my next target. Has anyone checked it out, is it worth it?

https://masteringcgi.com.au/course/mastering-hs/

Thanks, I'll check these out.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 22, 2018