Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

again, it's trying to serve two masters. some students are going to school to learn computer science and eventually get an advanced degree in the field and find a job at adobe creating new image processing algorithms. other students are going to school to learn to CRUSH CODE and make skinner box phone games or web portals for carpet salesmen. nearly every field has the same problem of balancing pure science/research with teaching practical skills within a limited timeframe.

there is no single good solution. a seemingly obvious strategy is to split it into an academic stream and a professional stream -- perhaps the university teaches computer science, with the understanding that your bachelor's degree won't cover the hottest new frameworks, while the community college does the equivalent of coding bootcamps but skips the advanced math. but stupid elitists (googlers, parents, etc) inevitably turn it into the smart/dumb stream because they don't get the nuance and so everyone just tries for the academic path even if it's highly ill-suited to their goals or capabilities and we're back to where we started.

and even if you could stream the education effectively, you still miss out on a lot of cross-pollination. while i think universities should put a lot more weight on a professor's quality of teaching, i stop short of saying that there should be a pure-teaching path, because bringing research or professional work into the classroom is a lot more interesting than just droning on about topic 101 straight from textbook. if all you do is teach java frameworks all day that's cool but you aren't advancing the state of the art. professors should be creating new ideas and then teaching those to the students -- but that in itself is a huge challenge. sometimes one person can't do it by themselves. why, this would be easier if we just had it all under one roof, right?

no answers, only attempts

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

really the fundamental problem is wages. you can't get a job that pays a living wage unless you have a bachelor's degree, so everyone has to get one even if it's pointless, so the students complain when their degree was "useless" for the field (that never should have needed one in the first place), so universities bend to that pressure and try to teach practical skills, so that dilutes the pure-academic value of the undergraduate degree, so we have tons more people getting master's degrees if they want to do real academics, so that depresses the pay for people with lower degrees even further, and so on and so on

pay people with community college diplomas (and high school diplomas, for that matter) a proper wage and a ton of problems evaporate

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

pay people with community college diplomas (and high school diplomas, for that matter) a proper wage and a ton of problems evaporate
if we did this some wealthy people would have slightly less money so it’s literally impossible

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lmao

https://twitter.com/adrianhon/status/1051904464406401024

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

an ouroborus of stupidity and arrogance

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

again, it's trying to serve two masters. some students are going to school to learn computer science and eventually get an advanced degree in the field and find a job at adobe creating new image processing algorithms. other students are going to school to learn to CRUSH CODE and make skinner box phone games or web portals for carpet salesmen. nearly every field has the same problem of balancing pure science/research with teaching practical skills within a limited timeframe.

there is no single good solution. a seemingly obvious strategy is to split it into an academic stream and a professional stream -- perhaps the university teaches computer science, with the understanding that your bachelor's degree won't cover the hottest new frameworks, while the community college does the equivalent of coding bootcamps but skips the advanced math. but stupid elitists (googlers, parents, etc) inevitably turn it into the smart/dumb stream because they don't get the nuance and so everyone just tries for the academic path even if it's highly ill-suited to their goals or capabilities and we're back to where we started.

and even if you could stream the education effectively, you still miss out on a lot of cross-pollination. while i think universities should put a lot more weight on a professor's quality of teaching, i stop short of saying that there should be a pure-teaching path, because bringing research or professional work into the classroom is a lot more interesting than just droning on about topic 101 straight from textbook. if all you do is teach java frameworks all day that's cool but you aren't advancing the state of the art. professors should be creating new ideas and then teaching those to the students -- but that in itself is a huge challenge. sometimes one person can't do it by themselves. why, this would be easier if we just had it all under one roof, right?

no answers, only attempts

also require them to take some loving humanities classes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"why do I have to take these stupid humanities classes? literature is stupid and the professor is mean and gives me bad grades and they aren't even going to get me a job anyway"

"why are you wasting my son's time making him take humanities classes? I'm paying for his education, I'm the customer, I want the best value for my money"

I have had students literally ask me how much more money they're going to make in their career having taken required class X compared to someone who hasn't, and then try to argue their way out of the class on that basis

MIT requires, or at least used to require, that every undergraduate student take one physical education class per semester. It can be baseball or track or it can be ultimate frisbee or scuba diving or whatever, but you will get off your rear end and out of the lab and go do something healthy. Even the mega nerds seem to recognize the value of a balanced education

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Endless Mike posted:

also require them to take some loving humanities classes

Programming is part of the humanities

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

Programming is part of the humanities

Programming is a trade skill, actually

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

"why do I have to take these stupid humanities classes? literature is stupid and the professor is mean and gives me bad grades and they aren't even going to get me a job anyway"

"why are you wasting my son's time making him take humanities classes? I'm paying for his education, I'm the customer, I want the best value for my money"

I have had students literally ask me how much more money they're going to make in their career having taken required class X compared to someone who hasn't, and then try to argue their way out of the class on that basis

MIT requires, or at least used to require, that every undergraduate student take one physical education class per semester. It can be baseball or track or it can be ultimate frisbee or scuba diving or whatever, but you will get off your rear end and out of the lab and go do something healthy. Even the mega nerds seem to recognize the value of a balanced education

i took archery which was pretty relaxing once we started using the outdoor range.

i wanted to do language classes, but every one of them conflicted with core computer engineering classes so i ended up doing a concentration in philosophy. there are few things more annoying than philosophy students. philosophy of technology was interesting but back in 2008 the field wasn't nearly as ripe as it is today; i actually emailed my philosophy of tech prof recently about this and he said his biggest problem is scaling down to just a semester's worth of topics. back when i took it there was poo poo like "cyborgs: good or bad?" but now you could do a whole semester just on google

Sagebrush posted:

Programming is a trade skill, actually

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

read the grandma part and ignore the rest. it’s spineless_nerd.txt

dont sign my posts

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pham Nuwen posted:

back when i took it there was poo poo like "cyborgs: good or bad?" but now you could do a whole semester just on google
only MIT students forced to take some general eds would not be able to immediately respond that google was bad

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

i mean you're paying an absolutely enormous amount of money for those classes

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pham Nuwen posted:

"cyborgs: good or bad?"
theyre bad, op

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
we're never gonna uphold those bogus treaties

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

academic achievement as gatekeeping in the business world is designed so failsons can legacy into an ivy and get a job that may otherwise go to a better qualified candidate who didn't win the uterus lottery

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

looking back, i'm legit glad that i went to a school that placed a heavy emphasis on humanities no matter what your major was. if nothing else, it gave me a grounding and continued interest in topics that i probably never would have explored otherwise

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol @ the verge

quote:

Why the Pixel matters

Sales are a measure of sales, not importance

By Vlad Savov
double lol

quote:

When the original Pixel was unveiled by Google in October 2016, many questioned why the Mountain View company was entering the business of designing, building, and selling phones. Two years on, that sentiment still lingers, as expressed by Andreessen Horowitz analyst Benedict Evans when he asks, “What purpose do Google’s Pixel phones serve?”

Critics of Google’s strategy are correct to say it looks contradictory: the company has invested time and treasure into building devices, but it hasn’t accompanied them with the necessary distribution and marketing to truly challenge for a big slice of the market. Google claims to be serious about its hardware business, but the Pixel phones are still available in only a limited number of countries and through a limited number of carriers.

And yet, to declare the Pixel irrelevant simply because it isn’t selling in large quantities would be naive. That would be akin to saying Nokia was thriving back in 2010 because it sold the most phones at the time. Google’s fraught decision-making notwithstanding, the Pixel phones are influential far beyond the unimpressive number of people who own one. Here are three of the most important ways in which Google’s Pixels matter.
The Pixel competes with the iPhone for mind share, not market share

Apple can no longer claim to have the best camera on a phone. Google gets to say that. If my illustrated love poems to the Pixel camera haven’t been enough to convince you, check out what The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times have had to say about the first two Pixel generations. This year, Google is investing substantially in amplifying the message about its camera lead. It has recruited famous photographer Annie Leibovitz — previously a vocal endorser of the iPhone’s camera — to do a photo tour of the United States with a Pixel in hand, and it’s paid Condé Nast to shoot seven different magazines’ covers with the Pixel, featuring such high-profile stars as Ryan Gosling. Google isn’t trying to make money out of its phone business as much as it’s working to pad out its reputation as a tech leader.

In the battle for mind share, in the Trumpian quest to be part of every conversation, the Pixel far outweighs its piddling sales. iPhone X and iPhone XS reviews have been full of camera comparisons against Google’s phones. When another Android vendor releases a new device, the benchmark for its user experience is the one provided by Google itself. The Pixel matters because, within the narrow contexts of camera image quality and Android user experience, they are the best you can get.
"oh noooo were losing mind share" shrieks timb as he prepares for a $100bn holiday quarter

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

FMguru posted:

lol @ the verge

double lol

"oh noooo were losing mind share" shrieks timb as he prepares for a $100bn holiday quarter

google isn’t in this to make money, you guys. they are trying to prove a point. that point being that they can make a knockoff iPhone except worse in every way except camera benchmarks.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

google isn’t in this to make money, you guys. they are trying to prove a point. that point being that they can make a knockoff iPhone except worse in every way

they did that

..um, ten years ago

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

they did that

..um, ten years ago

this time it’s different.

it’s a premium phone. you can tell by the price tag

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

The_Franz posted:

looking back, i'm legit glad that i went to a school that placed a heavy emphasis on humanities no matter what your major was. if nothing else, it gave me a grounding and continued interest in topics that i probably never would have explored otherwise

i was a cs major a million years ago and by far the best class i ever took (as a filthy non believer) was Faith and Reason in Christian Thought, taught by a prof of divinity or w/e

it was loving fascinating b/c the class was basically a survey of notable theologians from Paul to Hartshorne/Cobb in the format of "this dude wrote/believed abc b/c his unshakable core bedrock tenants of his world view were xyz" and i was like holy poo poo this makes the history of christianity a billion times more interesting than the poo poo i was taught in church when i was a kid

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Oh yays, the utoob is having problems.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MrMoo posted:

Oh yays, the utoob is having problems.
good

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
For context Levandowski is the guy that went on to Uber and prompted the trade secrets stealing lawsuit

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ShadowHawk posted:

For context Levandowski is the guy that went on to Uber and prompted the trade secrets stealing lawsuit

the company he founded specifically to get bought by uber had a “safety is job #3” poster on the wall

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ShadowHawk posted:

that guy is a real piece of poo poo eric schmidt

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i read a thing about how google was restricting android developers from pulling users' contacts and emails to third-party improve ads, with the spin that it was google eschewing profits for user privacy like the actual reason isn't to get developers to switch to google ads.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The Management posted:

there’s computer science and there’s software development. different disciplines. college should teach you data structures and algorithms and complexity. that’s computer science. they should then teach you engineering principles to deal with these.
unfortunately to bootstrap these they need to teach you some stupid language. hopefully it’s something somewhat practical but with minimal complexity to get in your way while you learn the important stuff.

yeah my school had a software engineering program and a comp science program. the former was mostly concerned with how you gather requirements and then scope/design/build/maintain an actual system while the latter was the applied mathematics side of programming. obv there was a ton of overlap in the freshman/sophomore classes

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
No surprises here but self taught and boot camped engineers generally aren't awesome at data structures and algorithms. Turns out good computer science fundamentals aren't necessary to keep some company's blog online.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

You'd think that self taught engineers would get caught saying stupid things like "let's just make a program that inspects if this code ever terminates" but, again, how often does that come up

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/Q1w2Gx8.gifv

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

getting a bachelor's in CS kinda sucks cause it turns out that all that stuff's been done already and what you actually do is use a library. actual value of my degree is, uh, I can spot o(n^2) loops pretty good. i bought some algo books a while back just in case i needed to do some work where it wasn't immediately apparent what library to use, and nope. have never needed them

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

getting a bachelor's in CS kinda sucks cause it turns out that all that stuff's been done already and what you actually do is use a library. actual value of my degree is, uh, I can spot o(n^2) loops pretty good. i bought some algo books a while back just in case i needed to do some work where it wasn't immediately apparent what library to use, and nope. have never needed them

getting a bachelors in anything boils down to learning stuff that's already been done. even a masters is usually just adding a few courses on top of a bachelors.

e: it's even worse in the more mature fields. don't expect to get anywhere near real research in anything having to do with biology without a ph.d

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 18, 2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you need to know how to write data structures from scratch because everywhere you interview will give you a stupid coding challenge where you have to do that or some smuglord who parses zip codes all day will ask you to reverse a linked list on a whiteboard so he can feel smart

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

The interviewing and recruiting thread is an endless stream of people getting asked "but how would _you_ invent the wheel"

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

The_Franz posted:

getting a bachelors in anything boils down to learning stuff that's already been done. even a masters is usually just adding a few courses on top of a bachelors.

e: it's even worse in the more mature fields. don't expect to get anywhere near real research in anything having to do with biology without a ph.d

i know. still sucks. I graduated knowing how to do an algorithm and data structure. lets use that knowledge! oh, nobody doing anything interesting will give me the time of day due to 3rd rate state school and no internships. now im a senior zip code parser and nobody wants a senior zip code parser to work on their distributed graph database or w/e

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

you need to know how to write data structures from scratch because everywhere you interview will give you a stupid coding challenge where you have to do that or some smuglord who parses zip codes all day will ask you to reverse a linked list on a whiteboard so he can feel smart

if you can’t reverse a linked list then you shouldn’t be writing code. it is a test of fundamental skills and one of the most basic things you can do in programming. anyone who feels smart about being able to do it must feel extremely smart when they tie their shoes in the morning

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i wear loafers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

The Management posted:

if you can’t reverse a linked list then you shouldn’t be writing code. it is a test of fundamental skills and one of the most basic things you can do in programming. anyone who feels smart about being able to do it must feel extremely smart when they tie their shoes in the morning

eh if it's something you figure out in the interview maybe. i've got no interest in seeing someone's algo that they memorized

• Locked thread