Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Don't buy a 10 year old car from a dealer. Buy it from the owner, ideally a long term owner with many receipts.
Do not, under any circumstances, buy a 2007 sebring. Jesus.
Also, buy a prius.
Finally, I love my mazda, but I love in California. Why is this important? Mazdas rust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm in the market for a ~10 year old used sedan for my now longer commute. For the past 18 months I've been driving a 20 year old truck, and it wasn't so bad when my daily commute was 8 miles, but now it's anywhere from 20 to 60.

I did some searching around me, and rather than any specific car/make/model, I found a used dealer that seems pretty good (at least as far as I could tell, I suppose they could have fake reviews,) and am looking for advice on what car from their inventory in my price range might be "best."

I'm not a car person, so I really have almost no preference other than 4-door, decent mileage (again, just compared to a 99 Mazda truck,) and not a POS.

The dealer is https://www.802autovt.com/, and of their inventory, I'm looking right now at just the ones that are under $4k.

Specifically, I'm deciding between the 2010 Mazda3, 2007 Civic (regular, not the hybrid, because I'm leary of a 10 year old battery), 2010 Focus, and 2007 Sebring.

The Mazda is winning, but I don't know why other than I guess I like the way it looks (and I suppose there's some nice symmetry in my existing vehicle being a Mazda.) The Focus is probably in last place...I had to drive one as a company car at my last job and it never really "clicked" with me.

From my (albeit limited) research, the Sebring could potentially have issues with the engine stalling, the gear shift being stuck in park, and the brake rotors being undersized that might have been taken care of from recalls/tech bulletins, but maybe not. But if they have been taken care of, then it's doing well in terms of cost.

The Sebring coupe was terrible, avoid it. The Sebring convertible was a completely different car that shared only a name with the coupe and was pretty good.

Get the Mazda.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Deteriorata posted:

The Sebring coupe was terrible, avoid it. The Sebring convertible was a completely different car that shared only a name with the coupe and was pretty good.

Get the Mazda.

Ahhh, that's probably why in my head I was thinking 'Sebring is good, right?'

nm posted:

Finally, I love my mazda, but I love in California. Why is this important? Mazdas rust.

Everything here rusts, some just rust a little more than others.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is it reasonable for me to hold firm and demand that they meet the price of $23,000, even though Dealer A has the Costco Program behind them? Is Dealer A able to offer that lower price because Costco is giving them some form of compensation? I'm willing to pay a little bit of a higher price to support a good dealership, but $500 seems like too much to me.

Costco negotiates the price but that's about it. A lot of times dealer can actually go lower than that price though it depends on the car. I would personally take which ever is cheaper assuming they are the exact same car. You might even want to email a third dealer that has the same car instock to get a best out the door price, but I probably wouldn't physically visit another dealership at this point.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is it reasonable for me to hold firm and demand that they meet the price of $23,000, even though Dealer A has the Costco Program behind them? Is Dealer A able to offer that lower price because Costco is giving them some form of compensation? I'm willing to pay a little bit of a higher price to support a good dealership, but $500 seems like too much to me.

Using Costco is only worth it if you get a kickback from Costco. You can almost always negotiate better than the Costco price, unless you get special rebates or Costco gift cards.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

OldSenileGuy posted:

That 23000TTL is going to be a little more than 23500. Not sure about your state tax rate and whatnot, but that's likely going to push you into the 24-25k range.

If the other dealer can offer you 23500 Out The Door (including tax, title, paperwork fees), then go with them. You can also appeal to them (saying with tax and everything that $500 ends up being significant to you) and see if they bite.

There's absolutely no reason to do Costco if you can get a lower price somewhere else, assuming you're not eligible for a $500 Costco gift card or whatever the special of the moment is. The dealer doesn't get a Costco kickback fee or compensation, they just use the partnership as another avenue to rope in clients.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Sorry, I should have clarified, the 23500 is also 23500 plus TTL. So either way I'm looking at an approx $500 difference. But now that I know that the Costco price is just a negotiated price and not the result of some backroom kickbacks by Costco, I feel better standing firm on the $23000 price at the dealer I like. I'm in NY, so the tax rate is going to be roughly 8% and the doc fees are going to be capped at $75 at both places.

They haven't asked, but I assume if they do ask I should NOT reveal the name of the dealership that's offering me the low price?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

There’s no harm in saying who has the better offer. If anything, you withholding the name of the other dealer looks like you don’t actually have another offer and are just trying to get them to negotiate against themselves.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

OldSenileGuy posted:

Sorry, I should have clarified, the 23500 is also 23500 plus TTL. So either way I'm looking at an approx $500 difference. But now that I know that the Costco price is just a negotiated price and not the result of some backroom kickbacks by Costco, I feel better standing firm on the $23000 price at the dealer I like. I'm in NY, so the tax rate is going to be roughly 8% and the doc fees are going to be capped at $75 at both places.

They haven't asked, but I assume if they do ask I should NOT reveal the name of the dealership that's offering me the low price?

What car did you decide on? If it's the Hyundai and you're financing through a credit union you can get an extra $500 rebate check. https://bonusdrive.com/

I found it through old LeaseHackr posts and sure enough after about 10 weeks I got a check in the mail.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

There’s no harm in saying who has the better offer. If anything, you withholding the name of the other dealer looks like you don’t actually have another offer and are just trying to get them to negotiate against themselves.

Ah, ok. I didn't know if these dealerships talk to each other and collude with each other. I was worried I would tell them who the cheaper dealership was, and suddenly the cheaper dealer wouldn't be able to go below $23500 because the $23000 price was a "limited time offer" or some bullshit.

EDIT2: Also - if I call or email some other dealers that have the car I want in their inventory, is it better to just ask them for their best price, or tell them the price I'm trying to beat?

quote:

What car did you decide on? If it's the Hyundai and you're financing through a credit union you can get an extra $500 rebate check. https://bonusdrive.com/

I found it through old LeaseHackr posts and sure enough after about 10 weeks I got a check in the mail.

Decided on the Honda Insight EX. Its the one I liked the most, and also happens to be the cheapest. I only wish it was a crossover instead of a sedan, but I'll live with it. The Kia is my backup if for some reason all the Honda stuff falls through.

EDIT: What credit union did you use? I spent a good amount of time yesterday looking for the credit union that had the best rate. it's an arduous process.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 15, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

OldSenileGuy posted:

EDIT2: Also - if I call or email some other dealers that have the car I want in their inventory, is it better to just ask them for their best price, or tell them the price I'm trying to beat?
Just straight out tell them you're trying to beat X price. You'll save both parties the time.

There's a good chance they'll give you a "Why don't you come out and test it and then we can talk turkey" speech, or just plain say "nope, can't do that price".

You might also get the "yep, come down and let's sign" to find out they 'accidentally' sold the one car they had at that price but this one's only $800 more...

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm in the market for a ~10 year old used sedan for my now longer commute. For the past 18 months I've been driving a 20 year old truck, and it wasn't so bad when my daily commute was 8 miles, but now it's anywhere from 20 to 60.

I did some searching around me, and rather than any specific car/make/model, I found a used dealer that seems pretty good (at least as far as I could tell, I suppose they could have fake reviews,) and am looking for advice on what car from their inventory in my price range might be "best."

I'm not a car person, so I really have almost no preference other than 4-door, decent mileage (again, just compared to a 99 Mazda truck,) and not a POS.

The dealer is https://www.802autovt.com/, and of their inventory, I'm looking right now at just the ones that are under $4k.

Specifically, I'm deciding between the 2010 Mazda3, 2007 Civic (regular, not the hybrid, because I'm leary of a 10 year old battery), 2010 Focus, and 2007 Sebring.

The Mazda is winning, but I don't know why other than I guess I like the way it looks (and I suppose there's some nice symmetry in my existing vehicle being a Mazda.) The Focus is probably in last place...I had to drive one as a company car at my last job and it never really "clicked" with me.

From my (albeit limited) research, the Sebring could potentially have issues with the engine stalling, the gear shift being stuck in park, and the brake rotors being undersized that might have been taken care of from recalls/tech bulletins, but maybe not. But if they have been taken care of, then it's doing well in terms of cost.

Mazda3 should be ok if it wasn't ridden too hard. Check for rust.

Civic is the other good choice.

Avoid the sebring at all costs. And the Focus would only be a deal at 1000.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ahhh, that's probably why in my head I was thinking 'Sebring is good, right?'

Everything here rusts, some just rust a little more than others.

Mazdas rust quite a bit worse than say, a Toyota. Toyota and the non-italian Europeans seem to have the best rust proofing. Mazda is sub-Honda.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Sebring Convertible was a Mexican built version of the Sebring sedan. The Sebring Coupe was a DSM and loosely based on the Mitsubishi Galant. They both had the same Chrysler I4 engine and 4 speed trans, the Coupe could be had with the Mitsubishi 2.5l V6 and the Convertible the 2.7l Chrysler V6.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Don’t ever buy anything with a 2.7 Chrysler V-6in it, this should probably be in the thread title.

Anything with a water pump inside an oil-filled timing chain cover(this includes current FWD/AWD 3.5/3.7 Ford V6’s) is an extremely expensive disaster waiting to happen; no matter how careful you are about maintenance and how you’re super vigilant about watching your gauges, a water pump failure can/will fill the crankcase with coolant and gently caress up your bottom end before you realize your car is overheating. You won’t even notice leaks or steam because its leaking internally.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

JnnyThndrs posted:

Anything with a water pump inside an oil-filled timing chain cover(this includes current FWD/AWD 3.5/3.7 Ford V6’s) is an extremely expensive disaster waiting to happen; no matter how careful you are about maintenance and how you’re super vigilant about watching your gauges, a water pump failure can/will fill the crankcase with coolant and gently caress up your bottom end before you realize your car is overheating. You won’t even notice leaks or steam because its leaking internally.

Jesus wept, I thought the LT1 water pump/optispark situation was the height of bad design

Isosceles
Oct 31, 2004
The triangle philosopher

nm posted:

Mazdas rust quite a bit worse than say, a Toyota. Toyota and the non-italian Europeans seem to have the best rust proofing. Mazda is sub-Honda.

Is this still the case with newer models? I see a lot of rusty ~10 yr old Mazdas but was wondering if they improved their rustproofing recently.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I believe Mazda significantly improved it for MY2010. My 2011 has been a snow state car since new and there's no signs of rust yet.

Helps that it's been garaged and washed regularly.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Isosceles posted:

Is this still the case with newer models? I see a lot of rusty ~10 yr old Mazdas but was wondering if they improved their rustproofing recently.

He's looking a 10 year old mazdas. I honestly don't know, but I have not heard of a massive improvement. Maybe in the new generation 3.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

OldSenileGuy posted:

EDIT: What credit union did you use? I spent a good amount of time yesterday looking for the credit union that had the best rate. it's an arduous process.

Northwest FCU. I went with them through the dealer and they ended up giving me a slightly better rate than I could get locally. When we bought our Pacifica I also went through the dealer and got a rate that couldn't be beat. What I'm saying is definitely lineup outside financing but you'll probably get better indirect rates through the F&I guy.

Also a word of warning- local CUs have terrible online bill paying so be prepared if you go that route.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Anyone have or know anyone with a Toyota Avalon and does it suck or is it okay? I tried one and it was pretty comfortable but I am car-stupid. Otherwise, is there another similar car you might recommend?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Reliability wise they're good. Look at Lexus ESes too, they're very similar and used probably price out about the same.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pick posted:

Anyone have or know anyone with a Toyota Avalon and does it suck or is it okay? I tried one and it was pretty comfortable but I am car-stupid. Otherwise, is there another similar car you might recommend?

My Mom has a 2003 with about 150,000 miles on it. It is still in very good shape and seems quite reliable. It's a boring sedan, but that's fine if it's what you're looking for.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Casu Marzu posted:

I believe Mazda significantly improved it for MY2010. My 2011 has been a snow state car since new and there's no signs of rust yet.

Helps that it's been garaged and washed regularly.

My 09 lives outside in a snow state and I never wash it. No rust. Anecdotes are useless though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Deteriorata posted:

My Mom has a 2003 with about 150,000 miles on it. It is still in very good shape and seems quite reliable. It's a boring sedan, but that's fine if it's what you're looking for.

I like a boring but very comfortable sedan with enough fixins to feel not completely generic. Was spying a 2017.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

They can be stupid expensive my stupid boss spent more on one than a comparable Lexus bc I think it had a bunch of expensive packages of stuff that's base on the Lexus?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if you like the Avalon you can get an Impala for like a fifth of the price roughly

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well I'm looking for a sedan in the $25k range that is sorta cool but mostly just really functional.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Check out the '18 Accord, it's a thread favorite. Wins in almost every category. The Camry is also a Good But Relatively Boring car.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ehhh but aren't they kind of weenie base cars? Like I want a sedan that's sort of trying to be more than just, hey [don't] look at me, I'm a sedan.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Pick posted:

Ehhh but aren't they kind of weenie base cars? Like I want a sedan that's sort of trying to be more than just, hey [don't] look at me, I'm a sedan.

Buy a mazda 6 then. It or the accord are the best sedans. The 6 looks the best. Get it in red.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Civic SI comes in sedan and is within your price range. Only comes in stick though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pick posted:

Well I'm looking for a sedan in the $25k range that is sorta cool but mostly just really functional.

Mazda6

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

If by weenie you're referring to power, the '18 Accord Sport 2.0t has 252HP, it's very competent. If you want something cooler you'll have to look at Mazda or increase your budget, I really like the Audi A4, you may also want to look at a BMW 328i
or Mercedes C class but all of those will run up the MSRP real quick.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pick posted:

dodge charger seems like your style

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
If a dealer doesn't have the car I want in the exact trim and color in their inventory, but he is telling me he "can get it" or "can find it", does that really mean "I might be able to find it and get it here and there's going to be a ton of extra delivery fees/finder's fees that I won't tell you about until the last minute?"

EDIT: Also, do new incentives generally start on the first of the month? I'm going to be out of town end of next week and next weekend, so assuming I don't buy a car this weekend, does it basically make sense to just wait until Nov 1 to see if some new cash back deal or financing deal drops?

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 18, 2018

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

dodge charger seems like your style

this is charger.txt

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

OldSenileGuy posted:

If a dealer doesn't have the car I want in the exact trim and color in their inventory, but he is telling me he "can get it" or "can find it", does that really mean "I might be able to find it and get it here and there's going to be a ton of extra delivery fees/finder's fees that I won't tell you about until the last minute?"

EDIT: Also, do new incentives generally start on the first of the month? I'm going to be out of town end of next week and next weekend, so assuming I don't buy a car this weekend, does it basically make sense to just wait until Nov 1 to see if some new cash back deal or financing deal drops?

it means that it's at another dealer, the dealer will do a trade to get the car on the lot

you can ask if there is any cost associated with them getting the car, usually they will do it gratis to make the sale but it's good to check

incentives are typically quarterly although there are both monthly and spot programs

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

You can also find the car yourself (most dealers have their inventory online). If you find one at a higher volume dealer you can probably get it cheaper that way too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Are there end of the calendar year deals usually? Sorry, I haven't bought a new car since 2002, but a red light runner crushed my 16 year old explorer. :ohdear: