Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Or any of the Mel Brooks / Gene Wilder collaborations. They aren't limited by the decade they released in, like a lot of comedies are.

No way in hell Blazing Saddles is acceptable in these modern times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Haha, I remember my mom sitting me down when I was like 13 or 14, saying you should watch this movie, it was one of your dad's favourites. It was Blazing Saddles, and it is a drat hilarious movie. Is there much in it that's offensive? I mean, Mel brooks as an Indian could be argued as racist, but it's not an unfavourable impression? Obviously the language can be a bit strong, but I wouldn't say it's racist or anything. But I'm white, so I dunno.
The other great movie that my whole family got down to watch that was my dad's favourite was Slapshot (AKA the best hockey movie [better than Mighty Ducks]). Unfortunately, he forgot about the nudity and explicit language.
I still think these movies rule, and I don't think, on the face of it, that it's super offensive. Possibly a bit of bigotry towards gays, since one woman is gay and multiple references are made that if she's a lesbian, does that make her husband a gay?
It's a shame though, since it is still pretty drat funny. Newman was the man.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ferrule posted:

No way in hell Blazing Saddles is acceptable in these modern times.

The movie by a Jewish director starring a black man ripping apart racist Americans for 90 minutes isn't acceptable today? Blazing Saddles isn't an endorsement of racism in any way, it actively punches racists in the dick and makes you laugh while doing it.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Arcsquad12 posted:

The movie by a Jewish director starring a black man ripping apart racist Americans for 90 minutes isn't acceptable today? Blazing Saddles isn't an endorsement of racism in any way, it actively punches racists in the dick and makes you laugh while doing it.

"I'm paying you to build a rail-road, not jump around like a bunch of Kansas City..."

Or the entire end sequence.

edit: And if it is supposedly such a wonderful teaching movie about intolerance how come it is so highly edited when it airs on TV?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ferrule posted:

"I'm paying you to build a rail-road, not jump around like a bunch of Kansas City..."

And both of those guys get punched in the dick. Well, Slim Pickins gets clocked with a shovel, but Dom DeLuise gets dick punched.

As far as TV edits go, have they ever been to a film's benefit.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Arcsquad12 posted:

And both of those guys get punched in the dick.

Buddy and his entire dance troupe didn't get punched in the dick.

I love that movie, but it's from a different era.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ferrule posted:

edit: And if it is supposedly such a wonderful teaching movie about intolerance how come it is so highly edited when it airs on TV?

Because anti racism is bad

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah idk where this is unacceptable but I don't want to be there. Saudi Amerikkka I guess

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure they use the word Chinaman once, but I don't think there are any Asians in Blazing Saddles.

Is it racist to omit them or would it have been racist to include them?

There's no such thing as ethical screenwriting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm pretty sure they use the word Chinaman once, but I don't think there are any Asians in Blazing Saddles.

Is it racist to omit them or would it have been racist to include them?

There's no such thing as ethical screenwriting.

A Chinese worker collapses from exhaustion at the start of the movie so they dock him a day's pay for napping on the job.

And one of the crazy Johnsons from Rock Ridge says that they'll give land to the blacks and the asians, but not the Irish.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
A lot of blazing saddles aged poorly as a lot of comedy does, but ultimately it still holds up

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Ferrule posted:

The dance number during the end sequence could be seen as hella homophobic.

Of course, the same could be said for portraying Hitler as a flaming gay dude in The Producers.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Strom Cuzewon posted:

New Scooby Doo is absolutely amazing - caught when when off work sick a few years ago - they were investigating a rigged golf tournament featuring a famous golfer, "Cougar Woods" who, when he caught them snooping around asked "hey! are you kids meddling?"

Now that's highbrow comedy!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Arcsquad12 posted:

Howard Stern's Private Parts.

In place of each censored sequence, Stern appears in front of a chalkboard, wearing a lab coat, to diagram the joke and explain why it was cut. It's funnier than the jokes themselves.

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.
That sounds great. Can't find it on youtube though.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Aleph Null posted:

The dance number during the end sequence could be seen as hella homophobic.

Of course, the same could be said for portraying Hitler as a flaming gay dude in The Producers.

I'll give you that, but only because we Americans associate being gay and campy to the point that they're synonymous here, so the movies would have been written with that intent.

Funny thing is that the original Producers portrayed Hitler as a burnout instead of a big sissy, so it actually got more offensive over time.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Jedit posted:

Kids In Scooby's Service, indeed.
Makes sense to me.

Len posted:

The sequel was supposed to have Hulk Hogan but surprising nobody he was racist and got kicked out of the WWE

Eh...As someone who grew up on 80's wrestling, and bought in to all the wrestling spectacle hook line and sinker, and viewed these literal giants as god-like figures, representing the battle between good and evil, every week, it was one hell of a surprise. And the one, never changing constant during the 80's was that Hulk was THE good guy. Never fought dirty. Never did a heel turn. Acted the part of Captain America of the ring. OOH-rah! USA! Take your vitamins! Say your prayers! Be good little hulkamaniacs.

It's bad enough growing up and seeing these men transform from mythical beings to just some schmoe who performed in a muscle soap opera is bad enough. But to find out that same schmoe, the one who was presented as the pure embodiment of goodness in a land where everyone else had to measure up against his example, is a racist piece of poo poo, is heartbreaking on a level I can't even express.

It would be like going to Disney World, looking down a side alley, and not only do you see that Mickey Mouse is just some guy in a costume, but he's dealing meth and trying to sell you pictures of naked kids.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Arcsquad12 posted:

John Goodman smashing a sports car with a golf club while screaming "This is what happens when you find a stranger in the alps!" Is funnier than anything the Coen brothers have ever written

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

RandomFerret posted:

John Goodman smashing a sports car with a golf club while screaming "This is what happens when you find a stranger in the alps!" Is funnier than anything the Coen brothers have ever written

I quote this line almost as much as the rest of the movie combined tbh

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Is this before or after they realize that if demons are real then hell and heaven are real and have an absolute panicking existential breakdown?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I’m watching a forgettable horror flick called Harbinger Down which is essentially The Thing set on an arctic fishing boat. Aside from the cheesy 16-bit video game sound effects and mediocre acting performances (other than the always enjoyable Lance Henriksen), it does its best.

A bit of self-awareness I genuinely did appreciate though was the background shot of a “chess wizard” computer terminal, which was featured in The Thing. It’s just a set piece that doesn’t have any attention drawn to it, and I like the subtle nod to the original film.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Escobarbarian posted:

For years when I was a kid I thought the Harlem Globetrotters were just Hanna-Barbera characters

It took me a news article about their appearance in Futurama for me to realise they were real. The first time they appeared was the episode Time Keeps on Slippin' in 2001, at which point in time I was well into my 20s.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Memento posted:

It took me a news article about their appearance in Futurama for me to realise they were real. The first time they appeared was the episode Time Keeps on Slippin' in 2001, at which point in time I was well into my 20s.

I love the Globetrotters in Futurama but I did at times wonder if Ethan "bubblegum" Tate was a robot-racist (robocist?) because he just seemed to really hate Bender for no reason.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I guess y'all missed that Gilligan's Island TV movie where the Harlem Globetrotters had to play basketball against a team of evil robots

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I guess y'all missed that Gilligan's Island TV movie where the Harlem Globetrotters had to play basketball against a team of evil robots

Remember there was a Gilligan's Planet cartoon

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I am aware that Gilligan's Island exists as a thing but all my knowledge of it comes from it being referenced in other things.

Don't think I've ever even seen a clip of the actual show though

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Henry Kissinger is an honorary Globetrotter

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CzarChasm posted:

It would be like going to Disney World, looking down a side alley, and not only do you see that Mickey Mouse is just some guy in a costume, but he's dealing meth and trying to sell you pictures of naked kids.

Why didn't you just say "like going to Disney World"?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Ferrule posted:

Lmao Tv censors don’t give a poo poo about a movie’s message.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Ferrule posted:

The movie is a commentary on racism in movies from about 2 decades prior. There's a reason all the ones who use racial slurs are ignorant yokels.

And the FCC doesnt care about context, censor the word it doesn't matter. Reminded me of when Macklemore's "Same Love" got a lot of airplay and "human being" was censored even though its specifically calling out people who use it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember there was a Gilligan's Planet cartoon

There was also a cartoon where the Globetrotters were superheroes.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Cat Hatter posted:

Funny thing is that the original Producers portrayed Hitler as a burnout instead of a big sissy, so it actually got more offensive over time.
What the hell? The film was from 1967, the role was a parody of hippies but Dick Shawn made it amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4ht5we3qzY How is that offensive?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Stuttering was a comedy staple for decades, it was pretty much Porky Pig's entire shtick. There were a ton of comedians doing acts like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTnlO9MA7Zo

At least in this one the stuttering isn't the punchline. It's just a delivery method for the classic "the audience thought I was going to say something filthy, but I didn't" bit as seen in classics like Shaving Cream and Polkadot Undies.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

trickybiscuits posted:

What the hell? The film was from 1967, the role was a parody of hippies but Dick Shawn made it amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4ht5we3qzY How is that offensive?

I think he means that in the '67 version he was a burnout/hippy. In the '05 musical film (and presumably the stage show it was based on) the hippy role is replaced with a camp gay stereotype. So over time (in the remake) the original version was replaced with an arguably more offensive version.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

SiKboy posted:

I think he means that in the '67 version he was a burnout/hippy. In the '05 musical film (and presumably the stage show it was based on) the hippy role is replaced with a camp gay stereotype. So over time (in the remake) the original version was replaced with an arguably more offensive version.

Is it a camp gay stereotype if said actor is campy and gay irl?
Because I've got a few things to tell you about Gary Beach.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

RagnarokAngel posted:

The movie is a commentary on racism in movies from about 2 decades prior. There's a reason all the ones who use racial slurs are ignorant yokels.

I'll also argue that Brooks casting himself as the Indian chief in the flashback was a purposeful joke about the casting non-native actors as Indians in most Hollywood movies. Even his headdress has Hebrew lettering on it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mojo1701a posted:

I'll also argue that Brooks casting himself as the Indian chief in the flashback was a purposeful joke about the casting non-native actors as Indians in most Hollywood movies. Even his headdress has Hebrew lettering on it.

His headdress has Hebrew lettering on the poster, in the film his Indian Chief character spoke Yiddish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAYt6dpCgOI

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
One of the extremely lost tribes of Israel.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

One of the extremely lost tribes of Israel.

You know thats an actual mormon belief, right? Like the reason Jesus rode in a concrete submarine to America for the three days he was dead was to preach to the lost tribes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also all the dark skinned ones were evil orcs.