Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Cessna posted:

I think my logic is pretty straightforward: gently caress Nazis. They want to degrade, hurt, and murder innocent people, so I don't want them or their viewpoints to be accepted. I don't like entertainment media that - even inadvertently, even through ignorance - makes their views more mainstream or commonplace.

Totally agree, but we run the risk of the terrors and horrors perpetuated by the Nazi's being forgotten. And they will. because people are like that.

The fact that we still have Holocaust deniers out there, and some even in government offices should keep folks well aware of the danger of forgetting and ignoring unpleasant parts of history.

Kinda like a lot of folks have no clue what Stalin did to his own people during and following the war. Or who Pol Pot is and what he did in Cambodia. Or the Ottoman's genocide of the Armenians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

EvilMerlin posted:

Kinda like a lot of folks have no clue what Stalin did to his own people during and following the war. Or who Pol Pot is and what he did in Cambodia. Or the Ottoman's genocide of the Armenians.

Or Columbus Day.

Fangz posted:

Yes. Also because those games are pretty niche, appeal to an older crowd, and from a genre point of view are less capable of being persuasive and engaging.

Crazycryodude posted:

Yes, they're not personal stories about war criminals they're abstract counter-pushing, of course they have less impact on what people think.

darthbob88 posted:

I believe so, and also grant strategy games like that show the atrocities from 30,000 feet.

Okay, that's at least consistent. But it's weird to see this sentiment ("You can tell a story about Nazis if you want, but only if it's really superficial or abstract and isn't too popular or engaging") in a thread about history. Wouldn't that stance trouble you if it was applied to any other form of art? What makes Das Boot okay, then? Or Signs of Life? If these things are good art, then isn't it better if more people see them? Or does Das Boot suddenly become bad art if more people start watching it?

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 18, 2018

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

bewbies posted:

If the answer is "gently caress nazis" that's fine, but that isn't logically consistent.

I am well aware of the horrible crimes against humanity committed by Communists in the name of Communism - but I believe Naziism and far-right extremism presents a more violent and immediate threat today.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Phanatic posted:

Or Columbus Day.

As a Native American... don't even get me started.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Cessna posted:

I am well aware of the horrible crimes against humanity committed by Communists in the name of Communism - but I believe Naziism and far-right extremism presents a more violent and immediate threat today.

On a individual level? Sure, of course, especially in Northern Europe. But as a global level, there are still countries run under the guise of Communism that are doing a lot of very bad things to its citizens and the globe as a whole. Look at what China (when it wants to that is), Venezuela, Cuba, North Korea and Laos do to their people on a daily basis. Vietnam is finally learning that Communism is not a good thing for a country or its people.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Not the US! Maybe Britain, but I’m sure they were happy to have more colonies.

Um nope. Even in the late nineteenth century you get people in the government saying things like 'we have quite enough to deal with already, can you please stop trying to add more poo poo for us to have to administer Mr Rhodes'. Britain did not join WW1 because it had a burning desire for German Africa.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

EvilMerlin posted:

Totally agree, but we run the risk of the terrors and horrors perpetuated by the Nazi's being forgotten. And they will. because people are like that.

I think this is - and I swear, I'm not trying to be insulting here - a bit of a derail.

"We can't tear down Confederate statues, people will forget their history!"

No, they won't. History isn't taught through statues. It's taught in schools, and we should teach more of it. Teach school kids - in age appropriate ways, of course - about things like the fact that slavery was horrible. Teach history classes in schools, teach them in colleges. Don't leave it to statues.

Same deal here, but for Nazis and video games.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

EvilMerlin posted:

They reduced the armour on the Panzers in class 5 and 6 down so low it was silly. There were times playing you watched a Tiger I get holed thru the front mantlet by a T-50. Uh... no. Not even with the most advanced Soviet ammo could that happen even at a range of 100 meters...

War Thunder has (had?) a serious issue that can cause this problem. Shells have no diameter, and are just modeled as points. This means that you can have a perfectly-aimed 45mm shell go right through a periscope hole and bypass the armor completely.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Phanatic posted:

What economic distress are you talking about?

Well in the US median household wealth has dropped by tens of thousands of dollars since 2008 and never recovered. Plus skyrocketing housing costs in many cities combined with basically zero wage growth for the past 30 years.

For my part i'm from the UK where economic austerity has been going on for 8 years, causing the premature death of over 120,000 people and measurably driving people into the arms of UKIP and towards Brexit. So...yeah.

Lobster God posted:

To be fair, there were serious discussions among the Tory brexiteer crowd about Brexit being an opportunity for 'Empire 2.0'.

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1046825778539888640

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EvilMerlin posted:

On a individual level? Sure, of course, especially in Northern Europe. But as a global level, there are still countries run under the guise of Communism that are doing a lot of very bad things to its citizens and the globe as a whole. Look at what China (when it wants to that is), Venezuela, Cuba, North Korea and Laos do to their people on a daily basis. Vietnam is finally learning that Communism is not a good thing for a country or its people.

Can we please not do this particular derail again?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

EvilMerlin posted:

I do not disagree, but I don't live there, I live here in the States - and given that we're talking about games that are produced here...

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Gnoman posted:

War Thunder has (had?) a serious issue that can cause this problem. Shells have no diameter, and are just modeled as points. This means that you can have a perfectly-aimed 45mm shell go right through a periscope hole and bypass the armor completely.

I didn't know what. I haven't played it in nearly 18 months.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

This, or the 1993 Stalingrad.

Both movies show Wehrmacht joes fighting the war. I don't think either movie shows them committing (or being ordered to commit) any war crimes, nor does either movie make any serious foray into German politics. They both just try and show some average dudes in incredibly lovely situations and then they both progress to very depressing and morally ambiguous endings.

Cessna posted:

Pointed out already but I've been neck deep in China's politics and military the last several months and there's an awful lot of people in Xinjiang and elsewhere that would heartily disagree with this (I do also).

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 18, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

Can we please not do this particular derail again?
someone brought up harmful totalitarianism, thoughts are going to lead in the direction of harmful totalitarianism

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Cessna posted:

I do not disagree, but I don't live there, I live here in the States - and given that we're talking about games that are produced here...

Battlefield 5 was from Dice I thought. Are they not Swedes? And Criterion is in England?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Phanatic posted:

Or Columbus Day.

Okay, that's at least consistent. But it's weird to see this sentiment ("You can tell a story about Nazis if you want, but only if it's really superficial or abstract and isn't too popular or engaging") in a thread about history. Wouldn't that stance trouble you if it was applied to any other form of art? What makes Das Boot okay, then? Or Signs of Life? If these things are good art, then isn't it better if more people see them? Or does Das Boot suddenly become bad art if more people start watching it?

My personal opinion is not that they 'aren't allowed to tell this story', but that there are pretty high stakes here.

I'm sure I said something similar with the call of duty wwii game. Which was bad.

Edit: I think the das boot example is more complicated. If Disney was to make a PG13 remake of Das Boot aimed at making it more mass market I *would* actually be quite worried. The production of mainstream mass media implies certain compromises. See e.g. marvel selling Heil Hydra t-shirts.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 18, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bewbies posted:

Pointed out already but I've been neck deep in China's politics and military the last several months and there's an awful lot of people in Xinjiang and elsewhere that would heartily disagree with this (I do also).

I too disagree that the heart of the worldwide capitalist economic system and source of most of the world's consumer goods these days is in any meaningful way Communist. It's a bit like saying it's a People's Republic.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

EvilMerlin posted:

The fact that we still have Holocaust deniers out there, and some even in government offices should keep folks well aware of the danger of forgetting and ignoring unpleasant parts of history.

This is really dumb. Nazi atrocities are going to be forgotten if video games dont let you play as nazis? What?

bewbies posted:

Both movies show Wehrmacht joes fighting the war. I don't think either movie shows them committing (or being ordered to commit) any war crimes, nor does either movie make any serious foray into German politics. They both just try and show some average dudes in incredibly lovely situations and then they both progress to very depressing and morally ambiguous endings.

In the novel, the sub accidentally torpedoes a neutral spanish civilian liner because it has a confusing entry in the ship index.

Anyways, yes, it is factual that neither movie actually grapples with German politics, and thus they are failures to convey an actual anti-nazi concepts. They arr not kind to Nazis, but neither is Indiana Jones.

Lothar Gunter Bucheim actually denounced the Das Boot film as combo of "cheap, shallow American action flick" and a "contemporary German propaganda newsreel from World War II". Thats an artist being temperamental imo, but it makes your appeal to art sound a little halfassed to me.

Im pretty sure youre just sore about reading too many dumb anti-wehraboo posts so get off your 0edestal and stop pretending this is some rational position

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

this country is illiterate

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Fangz posted:

I mean the way I would do it would be to have the tiger commander guy recount all those stories about killing hundreds of shermans, and have the main character slowly realise he's making all that poo poo up.

I'd play an LA Noire style game where you go out on the battlefield and verify this guy's kill count. Then watch your report get binned as your superior signs the Knights Cross award order anyway.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

This is really dumb. Nazi atrocities are going to be forgotten if video games dont let you play as nazis? What?

Don't be daft, I wasn't talking specifically about video games. I was talking about books, movies etc. all of it. Some people want to eliminate all references to Nazi's and that is not a good thing. THAT is what I am saying.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

bewbies posted:

I don't object to Das Boot of 1993 Stalingrad one bit. I am certainly not saying "no Nazis ever."

I AM saying "if you're going to make the Nazis the protagonists, take a long hard look at how you're doing it."

Now, that said - Das Boot doesn't take a hard look at Nazi politics, but it does take numerous political stands nonetheless. Consider:

The crew, unshaven and filthy after a long time at sea, meet with a supply ship. The supply ship's crew live in opulence, decry their frustration at not being able to fight, and give champagne toasts to the u-boat crew and "our beloved fuhrer" while the u-boat crews stare slack-jawed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hvoMyhHQHg

The 1st Watch Officer is portrayed as an ardent Nazi - blond hair, clean uniform, a family with money from their overseas estate (i.e., he's not an average joe) - and is regarded as a bit of an rear end by the rest of the crew.

The message here is clear: Nazis are assholes, and are different from the more sympathetic protagonists.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Cessna posted:

I don't object to Das Boot of 1993 Stalingrad one bit. I am certainly not saying "no Nazis ever."

I AM saying "if you're going to make the Nazis the protagonists, take a long hard look at how you're doing it."

This makes much sense.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

I too disagree that the heart of the worldwide capitalist economic system and source of most of the world's consumer goods these days is in any meaningful way Communist. It's a bit like saying it's a People's Republic.

This is probably well outside the scope of this thread so I'll drop it if there's no interest in further discussion, but contemporary Chinese leadership has taken a hard Marxist turn in recent years.

They certainly don't always practice what they preach (especially their ever growing quasi capitalist oligarch class and their dealings overseas) but the government line is absolutely one of hardline Marxism internal to China.

Cessna posted:

I suspect we all agree with this. I also suspect that the game in question is probably going to strongly resemble Stalingrad in both timbre and content.

Again, if I'm wrong, and it does come off as a celebration of nazi, I'll be pissed, and I also think that'll be it for that game company.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 18, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

Now, that said - Das Boot doesn't take a hard look at Nazi politics, but it does take numerous political stands nonetheless. Consider:

The crew, unshaven and filthy after a long time at sea, meet with a supply ship. The supply ship's crew live in opulence, decry their frustration at not being able to fight, and give champagne toasts to the u-boat crew and "our beloved fuhrer" while the u-boat crews stare slack-jawed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hvoMyhHQHg

The 1st Watch Officer is portrayed as an ardent Nazi - blond hair, clean uniform, a family with money from their overseas estate (i.e., he's not an average joe) - and is regarded as a bit of an rear end by the rest of the crew.

The message here is clear: Nazis are assholes, and are different from the more sympathetic protagonists.

Would this be possible to tell as a story about a "regular joe in the German army"?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bewbies posted:

They certainly don't always practice what they preach (especially their ever growing quasi capitalist oligarch class and their dealings overseas) but the government line is absolutely one of hardline Marxism internal to China.

I would rather ask where they DO practice what they preach. Words are cheap. What are they doing differently now that is actually Marxist?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

EvilMerlin posted:

Battlefield 5 was from Dice I thought. Are they not Swedes? And Criterion is in England?

Looking at the list posted above and checking via company websites:

Battlefield 1942 – Electronic Arts, headquartered in California, USA. Yes, EA Dice is in Sweden, but they’ve been a subsidiary of EA since 2006.
BF1943 – See above
Medal of Honor – Dreamworks Interactive from California, USA, published by EA from California.
About a dozen MoH sequels – See above.
Day of Defeat – Valve Corporation, from Washington State, USA.
Call of Duty - Infinity Ward, Treyarch, and Sledgehammer games, all from California, USA.
About a dozen CoD sequels – See Above.
Day of Defeat - Still from California.
World War 2 Online - Strategy First, from Canada.

One from Canada, the rest from the USA or studios owned by US companies.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

bewbies posted:

I suspect we all agree with this. I also suspect that the game in question is probably going to strongly resemble Stalingrad in both timbre and content.

Again, if I'm wrong, and it does come off as a celebration of nazi, I'll be pissed, and I also think that'll be it for that game company.

Yeah, I think we're on the same page here.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

How extremely Marxist of the modern PRC to ruthlessly crack down on striking factory workers and start disappearing communist student groups that support said workers. This is definitely Marxism that real Marxists who read Marx do and not just slapping a coat of red paint on Gilded Age level capitalist bullshit.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

feedmegin posted:

I would rather ask where they DO practice what they preach. Words are cheap. What are they doing differently now that is actually Marxist?

https://www.ft.com/content/766d2a42-419d-11e8-803a-295c97e6fd0b

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideology_of_the_Communist_Party_of_China

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The first one is paywalled, what is it?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Crazycryodude posted:

How extremely Marxist of the modern PRC to ruthlessly crack down on striking factory workers and start disappearing communist student groups that support said workers. This is definitely Marxism that real Marxists who read Marx do and not just slapping a coat of red paint on Gilded Age level capitalist bullshit.

Sounds Marxist to me.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Your first link is pay walled. Your second is about words, which are cheap. What recent concrete changes has China made to, for example, enact 'from each according to their ability, to each according to their need'? What massively leftist policies have been enacted to benefit Chinese workers and reduce income inequality? Where's the shiny new Chinese NHS?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

grassroots communist party membership drives and education

expanding the role of party officials in SOEs, and consolidating power at the heart of the CCP

exporting chinese socialism to developing countries

doubling down on an authentic chinese-style socialism as a fundamental part of the long term development plan for the country

etc

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

And this does what for the average Chinese sweatshop worker? 'The Chinese Communist party pushes to expand its control' does not mean the 'Communist' in that name is any more real.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Item 3 is also describing just straight-up imperialism which basically every communist theorist ever has loudly decried as bad and part of capitalism. Painting your capitalism red and putting "communist" in the name of everything but not actually changing the concrete things you do doesn't make it actual Marxism.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

feedmegin posted:

They do a pretty good job of suppressing dissent and controlling the information the public is exposed to, including the press.

feedmegin posted:

And this does what for the average Chinese sweatshop worker? 'The Chinese Communist party pushes to expand its control' does not mean the 'Communist' in that name is any more real.

What did collectivization do for the average farm laborer? What did the Great Leap Forward do for anyone? You’re No True Scotsmanning pretty hard here.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

I'm assuming this is a no true communist situation, and no amount of proposed or actual Chinese reforms or policies are going to satisfy whatever it is you're looking for here.

To answer your post directly, it actually was in part the state of sweatshops, and the enormous disparity in wealth throughout the country, that led to Xi's rise in power and the CCPs recommitment to Marxist policy.

that being said if there is actual interest and me making an effort post about the ongoing Chinese reform efforts I'm happy to do so. there probably isn't a more important and interesting global friction right now than that between the CCP and the atomically wealthy Chinese oligarchs, but it also definitely isn't military history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Pull up thread! Otherwise ArdentCommunist is going to come in here and he's going to be pissed