Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like Triumph and Tragedy due to the cardplay and cool ability to influence various powers.it can be argued it’s less a WW2 sim as a political sim around that time because of how much of a sandbox it is.

Unconditional surrender is my go to for strategic scale mini monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

So am I right in imagining that the GMT sale is going to go live, and the pent-up enthusiasm and frustration for a sale that hasn't been held for years is going to alternate between crashing their site and having everything in stock sell out immediately? I started to P500 games right when they stopped doing sales, so I haven't been through one of their sales before.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

admanb posted:

I doubt there's even a gooncensus on whether those are all WWII simulators.

Yeah, imo, one of those is a simulator, one is a beer and pretzels strategy game, and one is a party game. You decide which is which. ;)

Think about it.

No, you think about it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

homullus posted:

So am I right in imagining that the GMT sale is going to go live, and the pent-up enthusiasm and frustration for a sale that hasn't been held for years is going to alternate between crashing their site and having everything in stock sell out immediately? I started to P500 games right when they stopped doing sales, so I haven't been through one of their sales before.

That’s what I imagine. 1846 is probably one of the few titles that’ll be available unless there’s more overlap between xx grognards and wargame grognards than I imagine. 1862 can’t come quickly enough

Maybe the right answer is to buy thunder alley

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

That’s what I imagine. 1846 is probably one of the few titles that’ll be available unless there’s more overlap between xx grognards and wargame grognards than I imagine. 1862 can’t come quickly enough

I'm already looking forward to my own feeling of disappointment and dumb GMT hand-wringing about how they didn't foresee it.

Edit: sadly, I already have Thunder Alley

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

CaptainRightful posted:

This is essentially how the US government described the actual Vietnam War Conflict.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
GMT Sale Update

Sale starts at 1PM Pacific. Goes until midnight October 25.

Sale is open to anyone/everyone (no matter what you've ordered in the past), but everyone is limited to a maximum 20 game order.

All in-stock games will be 50% off.

Sales Code: GMTSale2018

EDIT: aaaaaaaand the website is timing out

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 18, 2018

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

GMT Sale Update

Sale starts at 1PM Pacific. Goes until midnight October 25.

Sale is open to anyone/everyone (no matter what you've ordered in the past), but everyone is limited to a maximum 20 game order.

All in-stock games will be 50% off.

Sales Code: GMTSale2018

Did everyone just crash their site? :smith:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Site’s dead, congrats GMT

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Chill la Chill posted:

1846 is my target with Colonial Twilight as a "nice to have."

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I know wargames are kind of a niche product with limited sales but it can't possibly be so insanely unprofitable as for their website to barely be family-owned restaurant quality.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
reminder that this is the user experience immediately after GMT's completion of a two year "upgrade" of the website and backend ordering system

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 18, 2018

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
re: wargames set in WWII - I guess what I'm trying to get is a political sandbox of WWII that lets you play within the time period. It sounds like Triumph and Tragedy is the winner there?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Well I mean their website still looked like an early 2000s relic and their search never worked

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Impermanent posted:

re: wargames set in WWII - I guess what I'm trying to get is a political sandbox of WWII that lets you play within the time period. It sounds like Triumph and Tragedy is the winner there?

Yeah, unless you have a lot of friends and cataclysm is supposedly better. IDK though, the cardplay and sandbox of T&T is hard to beat

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Spare a thought for those of us in Europe. The shipping on a standard size GMT game is about $30 at a minimum which kinda wipes out any discount.

Take into account the customs fees and Royal Mail's "handling fee" for doing that customs clearance and you're almost certainly better off just buying from a regular online store.

Pity me, I say!!!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
The site is working, but it's s-l-o-w. I'm gradually adding items to my cart.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

How do we know what's "in stock"?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

How do we know what's "in stock"?

There's an option for in-stock games in their games section.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Space Empires might be my only GMT sale purchase. Is Replicators essential or skippable? Too bad the Empire of the Sun reprint isn't out yet. I've been tempted by Sekigahara but the only person in town that I can imagine wanting to play it against me already owns it.

Does the sale only include GMT games in stock or also the Hexasim games they distribute?

Impermanent posted:

I would tell you more about Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg, but I still have never got it to the table. I've read about half of the rulebook.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

GMT Games posted:

We expect numerous games to sell out during the sale. When you try to add a game to your cart and get a message that the order exceeds quantity remaining in stock, it's sold out. Please choose other games. We'll do our best to update these with sold out notifications on their thumbnails and moving them out of the in-stock category as quickly as possible during the sale to avoid confusion.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

VoodooXT posted:

There's an option for in-stock games in their games section.

lol there it is... under "Departments"

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

CaptainRightful posted:

Does the sale only include GMT games in stock or also the Hexasim games they distribute?

Only GMT Games in stock.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

The site was functional enough to get 1846, Colonial Twilight, and counter trays into my cart, which means now I don't have to add to the traffic until 1.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I can't even load my cart, anymore.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Those Next War games are gonna be sold out and I'm gonna be gettin real mad online in a minute here

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I have everything I want in my cart, but some of the quantities I need to change (some of them I have 2 of them).

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah I have 4 Next War: Taiwan in my cart right now.

If it doesn't let me update my quantities then welp guess I'm buying $962 worth of board games... it'll be 50% off though! :v:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Half price might force me to get Fields of Fire, a game I have bounced in and out of my cart a 100 times.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Spare a thought for those of us in Europe. The shipping on a standard size GMT game is about $30 at a minimum which kinda wipes out any discount.

Take into account the customs fees and Royal Mail's "handling fee" for doing that customs clearance and you're almost certainly better off just buying from a regular online store.

Pity me, I say!!!

I am extremely glad I stumbled across Thunder Alley on discount in my FLGS

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, unless you have a lot of friends and cataclysm is supposedly better. IDK though, the cardplay and sandbox of T&T is hard to beat

this is a definite why not both situation we have on our hands here

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

lol @ at the gmt site

i love this dead hobby

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

As near as I can tell all the stuff in interested in (1846, comancheria, ADP or FITL, Sekigahara) isnt on sale?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You need to use the code.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Jordan7hm posted:

You need to use the code.

And the code will be valid at like 1pm pacific time.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Oh cool. Now someone tell me not to blow a bunch of money on games I won't play

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pretty lovely sale, GMT.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

CommonShore posted:

Pretty lovely sale, GMT.

Seems great to me.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
It's getting to the point where I'm feeling I should just give up on this sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

VoodooXT posted:

It's getting to the point where I'm feeling I should just give up on this sale.

At least if the server is inaccessible nothing can go out of stock!