Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Floppychop posted:

Finally got my first knight painted. Started with one of the babbies as a proof of concept with the color scheme.

Kind of a quick and no frills scheme since I have to get 3 more armigers and 3 big knights painted in ~3 weeks for a planned "big game". No transfers yet, but planning on just simple aquilas on the shoulders and whatnot.

This looks great! Can't wait to see the whole crew!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Groetgaffel posted:

https://youtu.be/c2066-Bioi0
I love the GW community team. :allears:

These guys actually have pretty good timing, unless all British people are just born knowing how to do that type of comedy.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's actually why they ended up with so many colonies. They were playing straight men for a prank show and people believed they were actually raging rear end in a top hat despots.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

(I'm phoneposting, sorry!)

Anyone know where these wings are from? I got a feeling theyre from a tyranid kit

https://www.tga.community/gallery/image/3550-varghulf-conversion/

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
How do I do a sexy white like ya'll do on tanks and stuff?

Also, working on a morty!

(Time to hack together a lightbox, photos kinda suck, sorry)

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Will 40k ever have more Primarchs? What is there now, Mortarian, Magnus and Guilliman?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TheBigAristotle posted:

Will 40k ever have more Primarchs? What is there now, Mortarian, Magnus and Guilliman?

They'll round out the Daemon primarchs at least. Fulgrim will probably be next.

Business Gorillas posted:

Anyone know where these wings are from? I got a feeling theyre from a tyranid kit

Yeah they look like Hive Tyrant wings

susan
Jan 14, 2013

TheBigAristotle posted:

They'll at least flesh out the other single-pantheon Chaos Legions (Angron, Fulgrim), and then add a couple Loyalists to counterbalance (Russ, Johnson). Might be a while though. Like a 9th/10th edition while.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

It's actually why they ended up with so many colonies. They were playing straight men for a prank show and people believed they were actually raging rear end in a top hat despots.

So, the whole British Empire was just a misunderstanding? Checks out.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Do we have any idea what else might be in Chapter Approved this year? I'm tracking Sisters beta codex, which should be really interesting to see. Curious if it will just be an update to Index rules, or if we will see any new units previewed.

What else do people want to see in it?

Personally, I'd like them to go back and address some of the earlier Codex books that don't seem to be as powerful or well developed as the more recent books. I'm mostly thinking Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines (maybe not needed), and Grey Knights. For Marines, I'd love to see a few changes to rules that seem to be universally hated, ie: split between old Marine and Primaris vehicles. Wouldn't GW get more sales of Land Raiders and Rhinos if we could put some Primaris dudes in them?

Maybe something like:
Razorback - no Primaris
Rhino - 5 Primaris, no Gravis
Land Raider - 6 Primaris or 3 Gravis

Other than that, something to make Terminators and Dreadnoughts stronger. Probably better armor or invulnerable saves.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Business Gorillas posted:

Those are not Hive Tyrant wings, though there's a lot of similarities. Hive Tyrant wings have an additional top flap above the arm, has a carapace look, additional holes in the membranes, etc.
The look of the edge highlights along the membranes makes the plastic/resin look thick, which is not really consistent with any modern model I'm familiar with.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

PierreTheMime posted:

Those are not Hive Tyrant wings, though there's a lot of similarities. Hive Tyrant wings have an additional top flap above the arm, has a carapace look, additional holes in the membranes, etc.
The look of the edge highlights along the membranes makes the plastic/resin look thick, which is not really consistent with any modern model I'm familiar with.

Almost looks like Terminus wings from Warmachine:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Do we have any idea what else might be in Chapter Approved this year? I'm tracking Sisters beta codex, which should be really interesting to see. Curious if it will just be an update to Index rules, or if we will see any new units previewed.

What else do people want to see in it?

Personally, I'd like them to go back and address some of the earlier Codex books that don't seem to be as powerful or well developed as the more recent books. I'm mostly thinking Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines (maybe not needed), and Grey Knights. For Marines, I'd love to see a few changes to rules that seem to be universally hated, ie: split between old Marine and Primaris vehicles. Wouldn't GW get more sales of Land Raiders and Rhinos if we could put some Primaris dudes in them?

Maybe something like:
Razorback - no Primaris
Rhino - 5 Primaris, no Gravis
Land Raider - 6 Primaris or 3 Gravis

Other than that, something to make Terminators and Dreadnoughts stronger. Probably better armor or invulnerable saves.

We know that they will rebalance points. I would love to see them address issues with Marines themselves but I don't think they would do that until a new edition. As much as I want to see it there won't be any new units because GW doesn't release rules without a model.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Also, working on a morty!

(Time to hack together a lightbox, photos kinda suck, sorry)

General rule for white is start with ulthain grey(comes in a spray as far as I know, so good base for vehicles) then recess shade with nuln and highlight with white.

Ps Morty looking good!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Harvey Mantaco posted:

For anything other than a shoulder pad sized area, spray white on either with a rattle-can or with an airbrush, otherwise it gets frustrating as hell. It's a lot easier to shade down from white, than it is to go up from grey (gods primer) or (dear god) black primer. Just be super careful with the shading as it's a bitch to clean up mistakes on white.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zark the Damned posted:

The bit I'm not looking forward to explaining to new players is that all my boyz will be using the same Clan rules despite being painted as different Clans because they are based on older editions where Ork tribes were a mixture of all of them and not just a single one like the current fluff :(

Yes I could use each unit as it's painted Clan but I'd lose out on free benefits and screw that.

Yeah this is frustrating and I worried it was what would happen. I'd say "maybe there's a rule like Raiding Party," but that rule sucks now.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I like in the article it points out the new claw boss buggy is an hq that can keep up with fast stuff. Not like they have a boss on a bike codex entry. I get its to push the stuff but is the claw thing just replacing the warboss completely?

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

For_Great_Justice posted:

I like in the article it points out the new claw boss buggy is an hq that can keep up with fast stuff. Not like they have a boss on a bike codex entry. I get its to push the stuff but is the claw thing just replacing the warboss completely?

I expect so as they don't make a model for it. Biker bosses, meks and painboyz should be available in the index.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

I'm hoping bike mek an pain bikes stay. Mek bikes can at least give a 5++ bubble to keep thing alive on the move same with pain bikes for the FNP aura an rando heal when bikes get into assault an he doesn't have to move around.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Floppychop posted:

Finally got my first knight painted. Started with one of the babbies as a proof of concept with the color scheme.

Kind of a quick and no frills scheme since I have to get 3 more armigers and 3 big knights painted in ~3 weeks for a planned "big game". No transfers yet, but planning on just simple aquilas on the shoulders and whatnot.

This is cool, I like the scheme.

I'm hoping bike mek an pain bikes stay. Mek bikes can at least give a 5++ bubble to keep thing alive on the move same with pain bikes for the FNP aura an rando heal when bikes get into assault an he doesn't have to move around.

No model no codex option. They'll be index-only unless there's something they haven't told us, which I can't imagine there is.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

No model no codex option. They'll be index-only unless there's something they haven't told us, which I can't imagine there is.

What does "index only" even mean in that context? Rules and price stays the same no matter what?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What does "index only" even mean in that context? Rules and price stays the same no matter what?

Yep. The units will be available to use, but only as their original Index entry, which will typically be overcosted and underpowered compared to current codex entries. Almost every army has had some of these occur and they pretty quickly get dropped for codex units if you’re looking for efficient units.

If Meks and Painboys don’t get a speedy option though, this may be a case where they’ll still see continued use.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

Yep. The units will be available to use, but only as their original Index entry, which will typically be overcosted and underpowered compared to current codex entries.

Points costs for any weapon options will update to the codex points, just not the base points for the units.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What about when it's a missing wargear option? Like twin autocannons for dreadnoughts or lascannon/twin plasma gun for razorbacks?

Do you use the model's index cost or the codex version? Same goes for the weapons where applicable.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Safety Factor posted:

What about when it's a missing wargear option? Like twin autocannons for dreadnoughts or lascannon/twin plasma gun for razorbacks?

Do you use the model's index cost or the codex version? Same goes for the weapons where applicable.

I present to you THE CHART

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

richyp posted:

For anything other than a shoulder pad sized area, spray white on either with a rattle-can or with an airbrush, otherwise it gets frustrating as hell. It's a lot easier to shade down from white, than it is to go up from grey (gods primer) or (dear god) black primer. Just be super careful with the shading as it's a bitch to clean up mistakes on white.

My marines are halved blue and white and I prime them black. For the white side I base with Astronomicon Grey, then layer with Vallejo silver grey and highlight white scar.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lungboy posted:

My marines are halved blue and white and I prime them black.

You are a fool to yourself. A hobby idiot.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PierreTheMime posted:

Yep. The units will be available to use, but only as their original Index entry, which will typically be overcosted and underpowered compared to current codex entries. Almost every army has had some of these occur and they pretty quickly get dropped for codex units if you’re looking for efficient units.

If Meks and Painboys don’t get a speedy option though, this may be a case where they’ll still see continued use.

I would be very surprised if the book doesn't give the option for Mek bikers, or in some way incorporate a speedy KFF. Meks on trikes, mek bikers, something.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

I will certainly be using mek an pain bikes codex option or not. A 5++ to trukks, buggies, bikes an trikes that can keep up with them is a no brainer. An about the only invul you can get outside of mega armor. A new mek bike or pain bike model set would be a no brainer though to create an sell I would think.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

I will certainly be using mek an pain bikes codex option or not. A 5++ to trukks, buggies, bikes an trikes that can keep up with them is a no brainer. An about the only invul you can get outside of mega armor. A new mek bike or pain bike model set would be a no brainer though to create an sell I would think.

Given the size of the buggies, it may be difficult to keep enough within 9" to make the cost of a biker mek worthwhile.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

It's mainly for bike swarms or protecting a boss. It's finicky but you can get a reasonably sized boss on a bike, pain boy an nine bikes in 9" of the mek bike

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would be very surprised if the book doesn't give the option for Mek bikers, or in some way incorporate a speedy KFF. Meks on trikes, mek bikers, something.

It doesn't have to; the Index still exists. Unless GW's going to start producing a model for it I don't see why they'd include it in the Codex. It'd be a hole in the Codex if you're ignoring all the other units available to you, yeah, but I don't see that stopping GW.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

It doesn't have to; the Index still exists. Unless GW's going to start producing a model for it I don't see why they'd include it in the Codex. It'd be a hole in the Codex if you're ignoring all the other units available to you, yeah, but I don't see that stopping GW.

True. Honestly it's mostly wishful thinking on my part.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Seattle people, I'm going to try and head to Beer & Battles Miniatures Night at MOX Seattle tonight. I figure there's a 40% chance I'll actually make it, I'm easily distracted. If I go, I'll be bringing 1000 and 1500 point lists.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

True. Honestly it's mostly wishful thinking on my part.

Bikers are cool in general and GW slowly phasing them out across most lines is really disappointing.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
snap ill be at beers and battles tonight too hopefully, but i'll just have some kill teams + the underworlds base set

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

Bikers are cool in general and GW slowly phasing them out across most lines is really disappointing.

I don't think they're phasing them out. Look at Custodes and Orks getting them in the new boxed set.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I realized I was looking at the calendar wrong and beer & battles is not this week. I'll still try and swing by with an army. I don't have a Kill Team list because I don't understand Kill Team enough yet to build a list. I'm barely understanding 40k so far, I don't have any war lords and aren't using any command points.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't think they're phasing them out. Look at Custodes and Orks getting them in the new boxed set.

Custodes bikes aren't actual bikes; most of the new Ork stuff looks bigger than a bike. I meant along the lines of the Space Marine biker characters, or the Ork biker characters we were just talking about. Those represent easily two thirds of the entire bike model line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

Custodes bikes aren't actual bikes; most of the new Ork stuff looks bigger than a bike. I meant along the lines of the Space Marine biker characters, or the Ork biker characters we were just talking about. Those represent easily two thirds of the entire bike model line.

That's true.

At least there's the OP FW biker character.