Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh D&D Sports had to change it's name. Seemingly because they are not actually affiliated with WotC.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?654227-DnD-Sports-Changes-Name-To-RPG-Sports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh D&D Sports had to change it's name. Seemingly because they are not actually affiliated with WotC.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?654227-DnD-Sports-Changes-Name-To-RPG-Sports

Ok that's a lol

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
This bodes well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Somehow I'm not surprised that you have 1500 posts and the same obsessive-compulsive instinct to defend 5e over there as you do here.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

Somehow I'm not surprised that you have 1500 posts and the same obsessive-compulsive instinct to defend 5e over there as you do here.

Nothing I said in that thread is defending 5e.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Arivia posted:

fart npoise

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

"We’ve heard a lot of great feedback, but one thing we weren’t expecting was SO much interest for us to expand outside of just Dungeons & Dragons! Therefore, we’ve decided to broaden our approach and become RPGSports!

Yes, this is definitely the reason a unofficial esports thing isn't calling itself "Dungeons and Dragons X" anymore, after their big announcement.

Farg posted:

fart npoise

More white noise doesn't drown out other white noise. Stop responding or report her if you have an issue.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 18, 2018

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

This is one of those times were I definitely thought Wizards was behind this thanks to the name so I definitely think they told them to quit it and name it something else.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

mastershakeman posted:

D&d needs more ability scores not less. 3 physical (strength, toughness, agility) 3 mental (memorization, problem solving, mental agility) and then another 3 (luck, leadership, looks)

I tried making a system like this once until I realized I had accidentally recreated Vampire: the Masquerade.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Yes, this is definitely the reason a unofficial esports thing isn't calling itself "Dungeons and Dragons X" anymore, after their big announcement.

More white noise doesn't drown out other white noise. Stop responding or report her if you have an issue.

it was a fart noise not white noise

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SettingSun posted:

This is one of those times were I definitely thought Wizards was behind this thanks to the name so I definitely think they told them to quit it and name it something else.

they announced a "d&d mtg crossover esport" or some nonsense a while back. idr but I thought it was this

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Arivia posted:

Dude this is starting to get creepy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arthil posted:

Dude this is starting to get creepy.

MonsterEnvy linked the thread he commented in and that forum software displays post counts with every post. Nothing weird dude.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

MonsterEnvy linked the thread he commented in and that forum software displays post counts with every post. Nothing weird dude.

Yeah but you said I made 1500 posts defending 5e on that forum. When I did not mention 5e in that thread. And the last time I had an actual 5e rule discussion on that forum was back in August. So the assumption is that you decided to run through my entire post history.

Though I think it's clear you did not. As I mainly discuss D&D lore and upcoming books on that forum rather then the rules.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I'm shocked that someone who has a lot of posts about dungeons and dragons on a dead comedy forum also has a lot of posts on a dungeons and dragons forum

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Any good tips on running a Celestial Warlock as a primary healer? I'm strongly considering skipping Eldritch Bolt and Hex and loading up on Utility stuff.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Toshimo posted:

Any good tips on running a Celestial Warlock as a primary healer? I'm strongly considering skipping Eldritch Bolt and Hex and loading up on Utility stuff.

I used one. Go with Pact of the Chain and the Gift of the Ever-Living Ones invocation to maximize your efficiency when healing yourself so you have as much to spare on your allies.

Since you're so limited in spell slots, and a lot of utility spells don't necessarily increase in potency with levels like attack spells do, you'll want to make use of your Healing Light as efficient as possible.

I'd also save healing light for bringing people up from unconscious, if at all possible (IE unless they are going to be taking 2+ hits after going down and getting crit hit and failing death saving throws).

Also of note, "Healing Light" doesn't count as a spell, so you can still use your action to cast another spell as you want.

Pick up the healer feat so you can heal people up out of combat without using healing light or your precious spell slots.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Toshimo posted:

Built-in Healing Word is nice but Cure Wounds has terrible scaling, and even with regaining slots on short rests it isn't going to compare to the sustain of Prayer of Healing or Healing Spirit. Basically, it's better than not having anyone able to pick people up, but it isn't going to keep the group in top shape between fights, either.

Your ability to contribute in combat is really going to suffer without Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast + Hex. Understand that Warlocks only have 2 spell slots and if you're going to do the usual 2-3 fights between short rests, your budget for each one is therefore one spell. You cast it and... what are you going to do with your remaining 3-4 turns?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

MonsterEnvy posted:

Does nobody realize how brands work? There's a big Twitch streamer going through the same thing because he decided to call a video game tournament "Code Red" because he's apparently literally never heard of Mountain Dew before.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Your ability to contribute in combat is really going to suffer without Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast + Hex. Understand that Warlocks only have 2 spell slots and if you're going to do the usual 2-3 fights between short rests, your budget for each one is therefore one spell. You cast it and... what are you going to do with your remaining 3-4 turns?

Cantrips? The same as every other caster?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Cantrips? The same as every other caster?

I think the point is that it isn't wise to ignore the cantrip that Warlocks are designed around. There is also utility in having the spell, even if you do not use is as your primary source of damage. Pulling/Pushing enemies for instance. Toll the Dead does far more damage, for certain. I'd personally take both if I had the choice, as it is good to have options to attack a save and AC.

The main reason why most Warlocks go EB+Fun Invocation Stuff+Hex is because they are all separate beams... and each one adds the Hex damage.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pleads posted:

Does nobody realize how brands work? There's a big Twitch streamer going through the same thing because he decided to call a video game tournament "Code Red" because he's apparently literally never heard of Mountain Dew before.
These two situations are barely comparable.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

y'all are just listing adjectives

the secret to fixing ability scores is to realize that there's no reason the mechanic that improves your effectiveness should be the same mechanic that gates your access to power lists

the other secret is that the first thing is called "level" and the second thing is called "class" and that unless you're going to make further meaningful subdivisions you don't need anything else in that space
I completely agree with you in principle, but sometimes there's merit in trying to address the second half of "It's a bad idea done badly".

If nothing else it's good practice for working in corporate.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Arthil posted:

I think the point is that it isn't wise to ignore the cantrip that Warlocks are designed around. There is also utility in having the spell, even if you do not use is as your primary source of damage. Pulling/Pushing enemies for instance. Toll the Dead does far more damage, for certain. I'd personally take both if I had the choice, as it is good to have options to attack a save and AC.

The main reason why most Warlocks go EB+Fun Invocation Stuff+Hex is because they are all separate beams... and each one adds the Hex damage.
Toll the Dead deals a bit more damage without invocations, but it's hard to pass up Agonizing Blast. Once you're adding your charisma mod to each beam, Eldritch Blast outpaces it. By level 11 you're doing 3d10+15 vs. 3d12 and averaging 31.5 vs. 19.5 (assuming all bolts hit/they fail their save). Plus, no-save push/pull is cool, strong tactically (especially if you have a sentinel in the party and can keep pushing an enemy out of their range so they need to re-enter a threatened space) (or if you're just near a cliff), and at will. You need to burn a bunch of invocations on it, though.

e: Also Eldritch Blast has long range (120') and deals force damage, which is basically always at full effectiveness.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Oct 19, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Elysiume posted:

Toll the Dead deals a bit more damage without invocations, but it's hard to pass up Agonizing Blast. Once you're adding your charisma mod to each beam, Eldritch Blast outpaces it. By level 11 you're doing 3d10+15 vs. 3d12 and averaging 31.5 vs. 19.5 (assuming all bolts hit/they fail their save). Plus, no-save push/pull is cool, strong tactically (especially if you have a sentinel in the party and can keep pushing an enemy out of their range so they need to re-enter a threatened space) (or if you're just near a cliff), and at will. You need to burn a bunch of invocations on it, though.

e: Also Eldritch Blast has long range (120') and deals force damage, which is basically always at full effectiveness.

The forced pushing/pulling doesn't trigger Sentinel, most forms of forced movement won't. And yeah, in the end it'll be more. I'm kind of surprised they didn't take the opportunity with Celestial Warlock to make it a sub-class that could ignore EB if it wanted. They almost had it... but only being able to add your CHA mod to one source of damage of radiant/fire isn't quite as good. Honestly, it probably works out better as a bump to Draconic Sorcerers who take 6 into Warlock than anything else.

Honestly I'd probably play a Divine Soul Sorcerer over a Celestial Warlock, in the end.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Elysiume posted:

Multiple attack rolls and a high minimum damage roll also means more reliable damage output. Two chances to roll at least 5 at level 5 beats one chance to potentially roll 2. And each hit triggers its own concentration check.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I get that EB has some good damage things going on, but the trade-offs don't seem worthwhile for what I'm doing.

We're doing Waterdeep HB (so only level 1-5) and the party is:

• Vhuman Paladin
  • Halfling Thief
  • Halfling Dex Fighter
  • Me

So, I'm going to be basically 100% of our healing, CC, utility, darkvision, etc. All that on the minimum warlock slots. So, spending a slot every short rest on Hex doesn't seem worthwhile. I'll let the martials handle the damage part of the equation.

My general plan was to take Mage Hand + Minor Illusion in my 2 Cantrip slots because I get free Poison Spray, Light, and Sacred Flame, so I've got decent cantrip damage and a way to deal with out darkvision shortage. For L1, I take Cure Wounds and Guiding Bolt. For Invocations, I think Armor of Shadows, Beguiling Influence, or Eldritch Sight could all do a lot of work.

I mean, I can take EB + Hex and sink my Invocations on it, but it's actually giving up a lot for an eventual power spike just at the end of the HB.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Toshimo posted:

I get that EB has some good damage things going on, but the trade-offs don't seem worthwhile for what I'm doing.

• Vhuman Paladin
  • Halfling Thief
  • Halfling Dex Fighter
  • Me

So, I'm going to be basically 100% of our healing, CC, utility, darkvision, etc. All that on the minimum warlock slots. So, spending a slot every short rest on Hex doesn't seem worthwhile. I'll let the martials handle the damage part of the equation.

My general plan was to take Mage Hand + Minor Illusion in my 2 Cantrip slots because I get free Poison Spray, Light, and Sacred Flame, so I've got decent cantrip damage and a way to deal with out darkvision shortage. For L1, I take Cure Wounds and Guiding Bolt. For Invocations, I think Armor of Shadows, Beguiling Influence, or Eldritch Sight could all do a lot of work.

I mean, I can take EB + Hex and sink my Invocations on it, but it's actually giving up a lot for an eventual power spike just at the end of the HB.

Think about whether divine soul sorcerer might fit that role better. Twinned healing word is all you really need and you’ll have better utility at the cost of CC.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kaysette posted:

Think about whether divine soul sorcerer might fit that role better. Twinned healing word is all you really need and you’ll have better utility at the cost of CC.

I considered it, but the character has already been sacrificed on the Altar of Arr Pee, so here we are.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Toshimo posted:

• Vhuman Paladin
  • Halfling Thief
  • Halfling Dex Fighter
  • Me

Mage Armor is just 1 AC over Studded Leather. Not worth an invocation.
Beguiling Influence is 2 extra skills. It's not worth an invocation - if you want Persuasion/Deception, just take them at chargen.
You don't necessarily need to use Hex since there are other good concentration options and you won't be running against strong saves/resistances most of the time, but Agonizing Blast is still a significant damage buff. In any case, you can swap invos between levels so it'll be up to you to feel whether you can be more useful during combat.
Here's the thing for utility: take Pact of the Tome, which gives you 3 extra cantrips, and take the Book of Ancient Secrets invocation, which gives you all rituals as long as you can get your hands on them, and you're done. Find Familiar, Detect Magic, Identify, Comprehend Languages, and later Tiny Hut, is 99% of what groups need.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Also with tome you can aspect of the moon and multiclass divine soul sorcerer and go full coffeelock.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

He's only doing 1-5 anyway.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Splicer posted:

Also with tome you can aspect of the moon and multiclass divine soul sorcerer and go full coffeelock.

:sigh:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Mage Armor is just 1 AC over Studded Leather. Not worth an invocation.
Beguiling Influence is 2 extra skills. It's not worth an invocation - if you want Persuasion/Deception, just take them at chargen.
You don't necessarily need to use Hex since there are other good concentration options and you won't be running against strong saves/resistances most of the time, but Agonizing Blast is still a significant damage buff. In any case, you can swap invos between levels so it'll be up to you to feel whether you can be more useful during combat.
Here's the thing for utility: take Pact of the Tome, which gives you 3 extra cantrips, and take the Book of Ancient Secrets invocation, which gives you all rituals as long as you can get your hands on them, and you're done. Find Familiar, Detect Magic, Identify, Comprehend Languages, and later Tiny Hut, is 99% of what groups need.

I'm unlikely to be able to make use of Book of Ancient Secrets. It's a 1-5 HC and we did rolled wealth, so I don't even have an armor or weapon L1 (not that either is a great loss, yet). I can save up for Studded Leather, or just throw Mage Armor at it. And I think you are undervaluing 2 bonus skills.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Conspiratiorist posted:

He's only doing 1-5 anyway.
Coffeelock's earliest kickoff is exactly level 5

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Splicer posted:

Coffeelock's earliest kickoff is exactly level 5

Sooooo basically useless, got it.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Toshimo posted:

I'm unlikely to be able to make use of Book of Ancient Secrets. It's a 1-5 HC and we did rolled wealth, so I don't even have an armor or weapon L1 (not that either is a great loss, yet). I can save up for Studded Leather, or just throw Mage Armor at it. And I think you are undervaluing 2 bonus skills.

Two bonus skills at those levels means just a +2 bonus, most of the time. In literally 90% of the cases that doesn't matter anything, because the D20 rolled so high or so low as to make that proficiency bonus irrelevant. Unless you have expertise or are planning to play at higher levels, its impact is fairly minimal.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kaysette posted:

Sooooo basically useless, got it.
That's weirdly harsh. Are you having a bad day?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Toshimo posted:

It's unlikely you'll get to make use out of Find Familiar, Detect Magic, and Identify, and the 3 cantrips, all of which you'll get automatically upon taking the invocation at level 3? (rather, you'll need a scroll, 50 gold and an hour to get a 3rd spell, but 2 of them are free)

If you get to level 2 without enough money for Studded Leather then take Fiendish Vigor for 8 extra tHP that refreshes whenever you get a free minute. This, too, you'll want to swap out when you get to level 3. You'll surely have the gold for studded leather by 3.

The skills, as previously mentioned, are a nothing. Consider them when you get to level 5 and feel like you really need that +3 to checks for the last session.

Or... take Book for Guidance and now you have 1d4 on all skill checks for you and the rest of the party starting level 3.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Ugh I’m going to be playing 5e on Monday. At least it’s a one-shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why are you doing that?