Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2023 All Star Break

70-28, 714, 1st place, NL West

We had a bit of a rough start...on May 19, we were 30 and 19, after having lost to the Dbacks 3-0.

....we didn't lose again until June 11th...19 games.

We went arm-heavy in the draft and snagged two good looking young pitchers with our first two picks. With the 32nd pick we snagged Robbie Nelson, who I liked because 1) he throws a cutter and a forkball and 2) he's 6'2", 180.

Our international signing was Juan Lamparello, who sports a lazy attitude along with a 60 contact tool and a 65 power tool.

Nagamatsu has been everything advertised. He's currently sitting at 299/365/670, with 36 dingers and 26 2Bs, leading the NL in OPS+ and WAR. Wallner hasn't been far behind: 277/362/575, with 32 dingers. Lugo slotted in nicely at 2B: 295/351/441, with 27 steals. Mejia and FTJ have regressed a bit from last year, but even so, we've hit 173 HOME RUNS at the all star break. That puts us on pace for a cool 285 for the season.

Pitching has also been excellent: Munoz/Feltman/Booh are an elite trio out of the pen. Gohara, however, who has one job (get out left handed batters) has not been doing his job very well, especially for $3m a year. It is just about DFA time for him. As such, we probably need to trade for a LOOGY. Felipe Vazquez is out there and he's good, but I think the most interesting option might be 39 year old Cole Hamels.

Most important news: Wallner got to pitch to two batters. He struck them both out.

We've stayed pretty healthy, aside from losing Royce again for an extended period, plus Wingenter is out for a while with a back thing...he's been very good though as a limited-IP starter. I kind of like the approach. He tends to pitch about 4 great innings per start, then hands off to a LRP in the pen. He's a pretty good value at $2.2m

All stars were Gore, Feltman, Munoz, Booh, Mejia, Mallner, Lugo, FTJ, Nagamatsu, Reynolds, and Beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bewbies posted:

All stars were Gore, Feltman, Munoz, Booh, Mejia, Mallner, Lugo, FTJ, Nagamatsu, Reynolds, and Beer.

:stwoon:

Is 11 all-stars from the same team a record?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I don't follow baseball at all, and this LP? has sucked me in. Does the game simulate owners selling the team? Would be nice to get rid of that skinflint bastard

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mercenarynuker posted:

I don't follow baseball at all, and this LP? has sucked me in. Does the game simulate owners selling the team? Would be nice to get rid of that skinflint bastard

It's actually happened a couple times so far in this LP but bewbies hasn't told us about it :v:

I remember seeing an article about the Indians getting sold a couple offseasons ago and am pretty sure I saw another before that but forget who it was.

I'm also kind of surprised that no rules have changed since I think bewbies said he turned evolution of the league on at the start.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
This LP certainly has inspired me to play OOTP18 which I picked up for like 1 buck at some point a real go. Now I'm in my third attempt at building up the Devil Rays right from their start in 1998. Probably not the best scenario to learn the game with, though. :v:

One little suggestions for bewbies: please put a link to the stats pages somewhere like the top of the OP so it's easily accessible.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

mercenarynuker posted:

yep, several teams have changed hands since we started.

our owner is 79 so he might die kind of soon. In that case it always seems to go to the owner's kid, which isn't usually a net benefit

frankenfreak posted:

This LP certainly has inspired me to play OOTP18 which I picked up for like 1 buck at some point a real go. Now I'm in my third attempt at building up the Devil Rays right from their start in 1998. Probably not the best scenario to learn the game with, though. :v:

One little suggestions for bewbies: please put a link to the stats pages somewhere like the top of the OP so it's easily accessible.

good idea and will do

am also surprised there's been no rule changes or expansion so far

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 17, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There’s usually expansion ~5 years after starting a new modern-day save, that’s been my experience for as long as I’ve been playing OOTP.

Invariably an alert player’s team is so stocked on prospects that you have to regularly make 2-for-1 and 3-for-1 prospect trades just to clear space on the 40 man, and this results in losing half your prospects in the expansion draft, so it will be fun if it happens here!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

frankenfreak posted:

I got 18 the same way last year, fingers crossed that it shows up on HB for a buck again this year for 19!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2022 Trading Deadline

We made a handful of minor moves.

First, we sent Tanner Carlson and Logan Whitaker, both nothing prospects, to the Cubs for Felipe Vazquez, a top shelf lefty reliever. We were able to throw in Gohara, so he and his $3m contract are gone.

We kept getting offers on Kyle Lewis, who is definitely ML-ready, so we sent him off for Liu Fuenmayor. He's a soft-thowing lefty with an 80 slider but hopefully will be a long term LOOGY solution for us...along with Luciano de la Cruz, who we snagged for Carlos Aguiar, a decent power bat prospect. De la Cruz has a great slider also, and doens't project quite as well but is ready to go this year.

Also a couple of no duh personnel moves: we extend Matt Treanor and Pete Ward as long as they want to be here, right?

Also: some bad news: Matthew Thompson, our #1 pitching prospect and the #5 overall prospect has to get his elbow reconstructed. He might be ready next June?

bewbies fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 18, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2022 Playoffs

We finished 119-43, .735, 1st place, NL West

In the NLDS, we have the Atlanta Braves. They're a club built around elite pitching, who we did very well against this year.

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Game 4

Game 5

bewbies fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 18, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
In the NLCS, we have the Chicago Cubs.

They had a losing record this year. And we won all 6 games against them during the regular season.

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Game 4

Game 5

Game 6

Game 7

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
:pcgaming: It's happening!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

we did it!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Last year we lost the DS because we traded away Cozens.

This year we won the CS because we traded away Cole. :getin:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
oh gently caress

OH FUUUUUUUUUCK

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
In the WORLD SERIES we have the New York Yankees

The Yankees didn't have a great regular season (they won the play in game), but they had a nasty playoffs...they only lost two games in the series with the Rays (ALDS) and the Royals (ALCS).

They're built around two elite pitchers (Severino and Abreu) and a terrifying...but very, very old....bullpen: Betances, Britton, Kahnle, Andrew Miller, Treinen, and our old friend Dinelson Lamet.

Their lineup is all about POWER...they hit 252 dingers this year, with Judge hitting 45, Stanton hitting 35 (in only 101 games), and Paul Goldschmidt and Gary Sanchez both hitting 26. Judge led the team with 4.1 WAR despite hitting only .221...and their team average was dead last in the AL, at .247.

Projected starters:

Game 1: Luis Severino vs Michel Baez

Game 2: Albert Abreu vs Trey Wingenter

Game 3: Cal Quantrill vs Christian Sumoza

Game 4: Mackenzie Gore vs Glenn Otto

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'M SO TORN.

(go dads)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Suggest reading the play by play, then the box score. I'll do games one and two this afternoon....

Game 1 play by play

Game 1 box score

Game 2 play by play

Game 2 box score

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

That game 2 was something...

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You should get a goon to do play by play commentary with and post it for the remaining WS games.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
That game 2 :negative:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Definitely staying out of this thread til I get done with class.

DADS.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

You should get a goon to do play by play commentary with and post it for the remaining WS games.

This is a cool idea. I don't really have the time to do more than one game but I'll definitely do one this series.

or if anyone else wants to do one hit me up

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Is PetCo now located on the moon?

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

bewbies posted:

This is a cool idea. I don't really have the time to do more than one game but I'll definitely do one this series.

or if anyone else wants to do one hit me up

That is a VERY cool idea. I will try to get one done if I can remeber to do it tomorrow.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I meant, like, two goons as the PBP and (off?) color commentator. Go all the way with it :clint:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh gently caress, I go on vacation for one day and we're in the World Series. gently caress the Yankees is always a true statement but never moreso than here. :ohdear:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

OOTP19 is on sale at Steam, btw. $10. You too can be a goony goon baseball spreadsheet nerd!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I hope that the Brewers come back and make it to the series so that them being stomped by the Red Sox is at least interesting. Having a series where it's a veritable dynasty and the highest payroll in the AL versus very nearly the highest payroll in the NL isn't very exciting. I want to see beleaguered smaller-market teams win because their window of success doesn't stay open for very long.

rickiep00h posted:

OOTP19 is on sale at Steam, btw. $10. You too can be a goony goon baseball spreadsheet nerd!

Thank you for this, by the way.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Game 3 Box

Game 3 Log

Game 4 Box

Game 4 Log

Game 5 Box

Game 5 Log

Game 6 Box

Game 6 Log

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ohhhhhh shiiiit...... :f5:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I really, really do not like the 2-3-2 series format. I realise that alternating games with the team having home field is not realistic, but I fail to see how a 2-2-1-1-1 is a problem.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Oh Jesus god almighty

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ice Fist posted:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
gently caress

THE

YANKEES

👏

👏

👏 👏 👏

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Ice Fist posted:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ice Fist posted:

:same:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
them were some crazy good games, no?

i will do a play by play recording of game 7. i will not know who wins beforehand as i'll do it within the sim. you'll get to hear my emotions come out in real time

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

bewbies posted:

them were some crazy good games, no?

i will do a play by play recording of game 7. i will not know who wins beforehand as i'll do it within the sim. you'll get to hear my emotions come out in real time

This is going to be pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
god bless this is how we felt in KC a few years ago when the royals made their first run at the series

• Locked thread