Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
time to close the thread now that people are arguing about who lives in a stupider place. every urban planning thread will devolve into people getting hissy about their life choices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
People having a stupid derail in D&D???

If that's your bar just shut the whole thing down

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Cicero posted:

Suburbs don't have have to be lovely like the US does them. Plenty of suburbs in other developed countries that are still reasonably dense with good transit going into the city.

This is honestly the only true plus of living in the city for me, besides being close to work. With the exception of a few new urbanist developments and college towns, you need to live in an urban core area to truly have walkable neighborhoods with mixed development, at least in America. My ideal home isn’t a podpartment in a sea of highrises, it’s a townhome with a backyard big enough to comfortably grill in, a few blocks away from a trolley stop that’ll take me to work.

Urban living in the truest sense DOES suck in between the filth, the noise, and the congestion.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cicero posted:

Suburbs don't have have to be lovely like the US does them. Plenty of suburbs in other developed countries that are still reasonably dense with good transit going into the city.

The American suburbs that are pre-car are proof that even Americans can make good suburbs.

Of course then we tore out the trolly lines and light rail, but at some point they were good!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Urban living in the truest sense DOES suck in between the filth, the noise, and the congestion.
These sound like consequences of policy more than anything inherent to modern urban living.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ProperGanderPusher posted:

My ideal home isn’t a podpartment in a sea of highrises, it’s a townhome with a backyard big enough to comfortably grill in, a few blocks away from a trolley stop that’ll take me to work.

Philly has this in abundance.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Philly has this in abundance.

Noted for when I decide to seriously plan an exit strategy from the cyberpunk hellhole that is the SF Bay Area.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cugel the Clever posted:

These sound like consequences of policy more than anything inherent to modern urban living.

congestion and noise is inevitable as a consequence of density, filth is largely negotiable. tokyo is cleaner than most american homes

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

luxury handset posted:

congestion and noise is inevitable as a consequence of density, filth is largely negotiable. tokyo is cleaner than most american homes
I live in Munich and congestion doesn't seem like a very big issue. It's generally easy to avoid driving, and walking about the city rarely feels all that busy, even though it's considerably denser than principal US cities in comparable metro areas. Some of the trains can get cramped during rush hour but it hasn't been too bad so far.

Noise doesn't seem like a huge deal either, our previous apartment had a rail line used by the S-Bahn nearly in our backyard (it was ~20-30m away) and we barely noticed it. Then again, Germans are pretty big on tamping down on noise, both in terms of building construction standards (holy poo poo the doors and windows here don't gently caress around), and in terms of written and unwritten rules (IIRC there's an actual law about "quiet time" on Sundays). Would probably be worse closer to the city center though.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

Congestion wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is if Americans didn't have some weird, passionate hatred for mass transit. Cities would also be way less filthy if Americans didn't have such a weird, passionate hatred for the government actually doing things. A few tax dollars, a couple of city employees with cleaning tools, and hey, the city is significantly less dirty all of the time!

BUT BUT BUT MAAAAH TAXEEEEEESSSSS :bahgawd: *moves to the suburbs, works in the city, bitches that the city sucks because it has no money*

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
some of yall taking a very narrow view of what congestion is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUJ5uvZ3n5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4phFYiMGCIY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgEKIaDH7yg

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Congestion wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is if Americans didn't have some weird, passionate hatred for mass transit. Cities would also be way less filthy if Americans didn't have such a weird, passionate hatred for the government actually doing things. A few tax dollars, a couple of city employees with cleaning tools, and hey, the city is significantly less dirty all of the time!

BUT BUT BUT MAAAAH TAXEEEEEESSSSS :bahgawd: *moves to the suburbs, works in the city, bitches that the city sucks because it has no money*

There are a LOT of people in the US who would love effective mass transit but they're overridden by special interest groups and racist white people who don't want "inner city types" to be able to easily travel to their neighborhoods.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Counterpoint: SF is possibly the most trash ridden city I’ve ever seen in the states and it’s hardly a haven for teabagging chuds. We even vote to increase our taxes on occasion.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

luxury handset posted:

some of yall taking a very narrow view of what congestion is
Can't speak for everyone else but these things aren't really a problem in Munich which is still fairly dense (by US standards).

Cicero fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 19, 2018

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

I live in Eugene, OR. I am convinced that it is the most poorly laid out city over 100k population in the United States. Take a gander at Google Maps and bask in the awe.

Of special note is the I-105 spur in the middle of town.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I live in Portsmouth, which holds the record of the most densely populated city in the entire UK, not aided by it only having three roads in (the M275, A3 and A2030) and due to it being an island city, if one of those roads snarls up or has an accident, particularly near the city centre, it can cause absolute havoc everywhere

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

There are a LOT of people in the US who would love effective mass transit but they're overridden by special interest groups and racist white people who don't want "inner city types" to be able to easily travel to their neighborhoods.

Yeah, basically everyone I know here in Denver that doesn't use transit regularly has some variation of "I'd love to take the bus/train to work every day if it wouldn't take me two hours when driving would take 20 minutes/require four transfers/have me waiting an hour for my bus after work/etc"

I'm fortunate enough to live and work in places where transit is super convenient but that's not the case for most of the city.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Yeah, basically everyone I know here in Denver that doesn't use transit regularly has some variation of "I'd love to take the bus/train to work every day if it wouldn't take me two hours when driving would take 20 minutes/require four transfers/have me waiting an hour for my bus after work/etc"
Completely understandable in and of itself, but in practice many of those people will then vote against things that would actually improve transit, like bus lanes or reduced parking requirements or higher density zoning.

That's sort of the conundrum, a lot of people will claim "well I'm fine with transit when it's good" and then fight it ever becoming good because in reality they mean "I want it to become good with zero side effects whatsoever impacting my lifestyle and preferences".

It's not entirely unlike people who say that they're totally against racism and sexism but are mysteriously against anything that might actually reduce said racism and sexism.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Cicero posted:

Completely understandable in and of itself, but in practice many of those people will then vote against things that would actually improve transit, like bus lanes or reduced parking requirements or higher density zoning.

That's sort of the conundrum, a lot of people will claim "well I'm fine with transit when it's good" and then fight it ever becoming good because in reality they mean "I want it to become good with zero side effects whatsoever impacting my lifestyle and preferences".

It's not entirely unlike people who say that they're totally against racism and sexism but are mysteriously against anything that might actually reduce said racism and sexism.

A wonderful example;

quote:

Residents in Lawnswood are up in arms over proposals to remove a ‘landmark’ roundabout on a busy road and replace it with a multi-lane traffic light junction.

Leeds City Council has been consulting on plans to create new traffic light-controlled six-lane crossroads - along with cycle lanes and footpaths - at the junction of the Outer Ring Road with Otley Road in Lawnswood, instead of the current roundabout.

The proposals are part of the council’s Connecting Leeds initiative - to improve travel around the city - and bosses it would improve “one of the busiest” junctions in north Leeds, with over 60,000 vehicles passing through each day, and help reduce bus delays.

But residents living on the ring road say the new junction is unnecessary and fear it will cause more traffic problems as well as add to noise and pollution in the area.

They also argue losing the grass verges on the ring road could lead to danger to pedestrians and cyclists from residents backing out of their drives.

Graham Sugden, 67, who lives on the ring road, said: “We are losing a landmark roundabout. It is a busy junction but also a lovely roundabout in terms of its aesthetic appearance with the flowers and garden in the middle. They want to replace it with a massive junction which will have no impact on travel times. They say it’s to decrease bus times in Leeds but we want to see their data.”

Neighbour Shameela Khan, 45, added: “It’s actually a very nice roundabout when you come from Harrogate or the city centre. In bloom, it’s beautiful. It makes no sense to take it out and put horrific traffic lights there. It’s just not well thought-through. I think we would have been willing to compromise if they had to get rid of the roundabout.”

Another resident, Beatrice Rogers, said she fears being “stranded in her own home” if the proposals go ahead.

“I do not drive, I have never owned a car but I do have a wheelchair, a mobility scooter and frequently use taxis. I am deeply concerned by plans to remove the grass verge and trees in front of my house in order to install a cycle lane and widen the ring road on the approach to the Lawnswood Roundabout. How are taxis going to be able to park and pick me up? From the plans it looks like with great difficulty. Has an assessment been made concerning the safety for pedestrians?” she said.

But my flowers :qq:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Total Meatlove posted:

A wonderful example;

Yeah, pave all the green spaces! That’s an awesome idea!

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
So there's absolutely no value to the pedestrian concerns (see the final quote re taxi pickup)?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Anyone have any info on reducing runoff?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Spacewolf posted:

So there's absolutely no value to the pedestrian concerns (see the final quote re taxi pickup)?

Here's the junction in question

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
I see. OK, two different concerns in that article. The roundabout, yeah, get rid of it. Widening the approaches, though, might want to be considered a bit more.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Eleven Eleven posted:

I live in Eugene, OR. I am convinced that it is the most poorly laid out city over 100k population in the United States. Take a gander at Google Maps and bask in the awe.

Of special note is the I-105 spur in the middle of town.
My dude have you ever been to Boston

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

It's election day in Vancouver and the unabashed YIMBY party YES Vancouver looks to be headed to defeat. The Mayoral candidate leader of the municipal slate, Councillor Hector Bremner has been polling way down the pack in barely double digits. The Globe and Mail published two election round up articles, one focusing specifically on housing, and he wasn't even mentioned.

If you want to see an example of what a real non-hypothetical YIMBY party platform looks like you can download a big policy PDF here https://yesvancouver.ca/letsfixhousing-action-plan/

Broadly what they're advocating is a city wide rezone to allow four story apartment buildings everywhere. In contrast other pro-development parties are more incrementalist in advocating studying how Vancouver could get to triplexes and fourplexes (The city just changed zoning to allow duplexes city wide).

Unfortunately the defeat of this party will not likely give any indication of Vancouver's opinion toward the YIMBY ideas that YES is advocating for as Bremner himself is proved to be a rather polarizing figure. Bremner comes from the right of centre and previously worked for the deeply unpopular and recently ejected from provincial government BC Liberal party. It's possible that Vancouver is ready for the ideas that Bremner is proposing, but he's not the right man to usher in these changes.

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My dude have you ever been to Boston

I have not, how bad is it?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Total Meatlove posted:

A wonderful example;

Roundabouts actually typically have better throughput than light controlled intersections. I'm not sure what benefit they're even hoping to achieve. The primary downside of roundabouts is that they take up significantly more space than a regular controlled intersection, but that's primarily an issue for demolishing existing structures or buying up land that was previously owned/occupied to expand it. If it's already in place than you're probably not going to see much, if any improvement.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Nitrousoxide posted:

Roundabouts actually typically have better throughput than light controlled intersections. I'm not sure what benefit they're even hoping to achieve. The primary downside of roundabouts is that they take up significantly more space than a regular controlled intersection, but that's primarily an issue for demolishing existing structures or buying up land that was previously owned/occupied to expand it. If it's already in place than you're probably not going to see much, if any improvement.

I think that there are cases where unequal traffic flows benefit from light controlled junctions over roundabouts because there can be throttling applied to the heavier used routes etc. But would be interesting if they did post the studies though

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I love roundabouts but they absolutely do suck if there's unequal traffic. If most of the cars go the same particular route, it will slow them down a bit while keeping everyone else waiting anyway, because they have to give way to the vehicles from the heavier route that are constantly on the roundabout.

There's an absolutely idiotic one just completed nearby where they replaced an ugly but perfectly well functional intersection with a roundabout, and now traffic comes to a crawl 500m away because 90% of the cars that would just keep left here have to come to an almost complete stop. :downsbravo:

It's not on streetview or even satellite yet but that's roughly what they did:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I'm fortunate enough to live and work in places where transit is super convenient but that's not the case for most of the city.

Yeah... I was commuting in Northern Virginia some years ago and didn't have a car, so what would have been a 15-20 minute drive was 1:30-2 hour bus + metro trip depending on the time of day.

Compared to some time I spent living in London 10 years ago where the loving buses ran every 10 minutes. We're just inexorably wedded to the personal car here.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If you want to to rely on public transport you just have to accept that some trips will take way long than driving (yes, sometimes several times longer), and either keep a car for those trips or just suck it up deal with it. If the standard for acceptance is "can't take longer than driving", it'll never take off.

Yesterday I went to see a movie with some friends and had to cross the whole city for it during the evening rush hour. My starting point was literally on a metro station and the destination was a few km from one too, so the perfect use case, right?

The stop and go was a bit annoying but even with the evening traffic driving took just about 35 minutes, returning at night was under 20. Google suggests the bus because the metro would take about 45 minutes to dump you like 4 km away so it'd take another 20 to get there. This is in a city with one of better public transport systems too.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

If you want to to rely on public transport you just have to accept that some trips will take way long than driving (yes, sometimes several times longer), and either keep a car for those trips or just suck it up deal with it. If the standard for acceptance is "can't take longer than driving", it'll never take off.

Yesterday I went to see a movie with some friends and had to cross the whole city for it during the evening rush hour. My starting point was literally on a metro station and the destination was a few km from one too, so the perfect use case, right?

The stop and go was a bit annoying but even with the evening traffic driving took just about 35 minutes, returning at night was under 20. Google suggests the bus because the metro would take about 45 minutes to dump you like 4 km away so it'd take another 20 to get there. This is in a city with one of better public transport systems too.
Prague's system is better than most cities in the US, but that's not really a high bar. It only has three separated-grade metro lines, the street cars and buses run in traffic from what I saw. That's hardly ideal. It's hard to get actually good transit when it's sharing space with cars (although maybe you can get away with it if you strictly limit the number of cars around ala Zurich).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I remember it being ranked as one of the top 5 systems in the world and apparently it was from this study: https://www.arcadis.com/assets/images/sustainable-cities-mobility-index_spreads.pdf
This also includes sustainability and economic factors but even on purely coverage & reliability it's like #13. Anyway I don't have much of an opinion personally.

The thing is though, in this example even if they dug one more station next to my destination, it would still take 45 minutes. Like you literally couldn't get any better than that short of digging a direct, express tunnel. Of course with different geography and population density things could be different, and in any case I'm glad as many people use it as they do.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah, I don't disagree that there are always going to be some trips that are faster in a car, even with excellent transit coverage and speed. In your example it's from the outskirts to other outskirts, and yeah getting that trip to be really fast on trains/buses is going to be hard.

The thing that's dumb about the US is that even in a much more straightforward scenario, like "middle of decent sized suburb to middle of major city", transit is often still substantially slower than driving, even in rush hour, which is like a near-ideal case for transit.

I didn't realize Prague's system was rated that highly. To me it seemed pretty good, but being American my internal bar for that is usually low.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it's ok if transit takes longer. the point is to have options for people who lack personal transportation for whatever reason

my drive to work is about twenty minutes, because it is much shorter and direct than the 45-60 minute commute on transit which goes way out of the way. so i drive most days. but on days when my aging car is in the shop i have the easy option to plan ahead and spend an extra half hour sitting on the train instead of scrambling to arrange a ride, renting a car, relying on uber etc. like many americans would be in that same situation

meanwhile during any sort of off-peak travel times personal automobiles will typically be a faster option for most people, even in a city like manhattan or tokyo (although you're likely to choose a taxi or something because parking is a huge pain)

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Google suggests the bus because the metro would take about 45 minutes to dump you like 4 km away so it'd take another 20 to get there. This is in a city with one of better public transport systems too.

40/45 mins from Nové Butovice to Skalka and then the last 2.5 kms by bike-share might actually be the most efficient, if Prague were to have a decent share scheme plus requisite ease of use wrt cycling infrastructure. Then you can get loaded on overpriced beer at the cinema and take a leak two times during the latter half of the movie.

However, I guess with a modal share of 8% there's a long way to go with biking in the Czech Republic.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lime or whatever is trying to get the shared electric scooters to take off. I wouldn't want to ride one anyway though because they look sketchy as gently caress.

It's weird bikes aren't more popular because it seems that's all everyone does on weekends.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It also depends on just the about of traffic involved. Around rush hour in Moscow, it is almost certainly faster to use to the metro (for example) compared to street traffic and it is probably the same in New York.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Of course, I didn't mean to imply otherwise, but just to help set expectations. Public transport might seem like magic that just teleports you to your destination if you're not actually using it, and sometimes it is. But even in a good, widely used network many routes might take longer than driving, and if they don't, you might be spending a half-hour being pressed into a door/windshield by a fat smelly neckbeards on your way to way to work. See also: Tokyo, Moscow, etc. So if you'd like it to take off, some sacrifices on time and/or comfort might be necessary.