Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

whoever invented js scrolling instead of leaving that poo poo to a browser should be swirlied, wedgied and shoved in a locker

i agree with this post but also the locker should be buried in the desert and then an atomic bomb detonated on the site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and even that would be too kind for the person who invented that variant of scrolling where it periodically stops and spins the iphone around in a circle before continuing, and then the foreground stops for a while and the background scrolls instead, etc

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
also: js control of back button, close widow event

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Trabisnikof posted:

maybe this should go in the gently caress off to the woods thread but check out that dope poo poo

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/234360

This is super cool

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sagebrush posted:

and even that would be too kind for the person who invented that variant of scrolling where it periodically stops and spins the iphone around in a circle before continuing, and then the foreground stops for a while and the background scrolls instead, etc

oh my goooodddddd :tizzy:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also web applications that don't respect the browser back button, so you get several screens deep but when you click browser-back instead of the tiny onscreen "return" button or w/e it goes back to the login page instead of the previous screen and you have to start all over. run that guy over with a bulldozer

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

some news sites actively block clipboard operations and that guy, just, just shoot him in the kneecap tbh

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
instagram does this and it's like lol even my phone can copy the screen display

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah but you gotta do something to try to stop it! our chief content officer says its critical!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its like disclaimers in email signatures. that poo poo doesn't mean anything but compliance wants it anyway.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Shaggar posted:

its like disclaimers in email signatures. that poo poo doesn't mean anything but compliance wants it anyway.

god I loving hate those things

also that loving “think before printing!” jpg

actually all in-line images in email signature WE WORK FOR THE SAME COMPANY DON’T WASTE BANDWIDTH I KNOW WHAT OUR LOGO LOOKS LIKE

(I deal with sat internet a lot it breaks my brain)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i mean at least you can just ignore disclaimers, that ctrl-c crap is just making me take extra clicks to... what would be easiest, disable js, whatever

that guy still sucks :mad:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

actually all in-line images in email signature WE WORK FOR THE SAME COMPANY DON’T WASTE BANDWIDTH I KNOW WHAT OUR LOGO LOOKS LIKE

the best is logos in signatures that get eaten by certain mtas and turned into attachments

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 18, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Shaggar posted:

the best is logos in signatures that get eaten but certain mtas and turned into attachments

rfdasghywm k fczsxh

fake edit apparently my fake angry typing at this turned into real angry typing because i just minimized firefox by mistake lmbo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Shaggar posted:

the best is logos in signatures that get eaten by certain mtas and turned into attachments

:tizzy:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

compliance has gotten IT to have it pop up whenever we open new email windows in outlook

they also got it so that periodically on basis change colors of said box just so dont zone it out

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
owned I guess. that doesn't even make sense. the disclaimers are intended for recipients

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
this post is: [x ] bloggable [ ] ask first [ ] private
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i code window.close() at the end of all my emails to keep them the most secure.

mystes
May 31, 2006

crabrock posted:

i code window.close() at the end of all my emails to keep them the most secure.
I don't think MTAs will generally run javascript, but probably best to embed bitcoin mining code in your emails just to be safe.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Sagebrush posted:

also web applications that don't respect the browser back button, so you get several screens deep but when you click browser-back instead of the tiny onscreen "return" button or w/e it goes back to the login page instead of the previous screen and you have to start all over. run that guy over with a bulldozer

that's easy to do unintentionally if you simply don't know what you're doing. installing a ~js scrolling framework~ requires effort and presumably testing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's easy to unintentionally run a pedestrian over with your car if you don't know what you're doing. That doesn't mean it's excusable

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

It's easy to unintentionally run a pedestrian over with your car if you don't know what you're doing. That doesn't mean it's excusable
Police officers and prosecutors disagree.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
This is good

Sears’s Edward Lampert Was a Wizard. Now He’s Coming to Terms With Failure.

quote:

Thanks to his early successes, Mr. Lampert is still very, very rich; his fortune today is estimated at $1.1 billion, according to the latest Forbes survey. He will likely emerge from the Sears collapse with many more assets than most people realize. He owns lavish homes in Greenwich, Conn., and Indian Creek, Fla., just off Miami Beach. But he no longer makes the cut for Forbes’s 400 richest Americans. His net worth has plunged by $3 billion since peaking at $4.5 billion in 2007, the magazine estimates. At Sears, all of his compensation was in stock. He never sold a share. The stock is now all but worthless.[/quote

That’s where Mr. Lampert met his match. He said he didn’t pick the best executives to fully embrace the company’s digital makeover. “I underestimated how difficult it is to do and how critical are the right people to lead and to get people to buy in,” he said.

As one example, he cited his attempt to convert underutilized space into internet lounges, which offered customers free Wi-Fi and a place to relax. It was an attempt to get customers, many of whom didn’t have internet access at home at the time, into stores, much as Starbucks had attracted laptop-toting coffee drinkers.

This was anathema to traditional retailers, who measured success strictly in terms of sales per square foot and for whom any space not dedicated to merchandise was a waste. Nonetheless, the computer-equipped internet lounges were rolled out in 100 Sears locations — but in a halfhearted manner. “I’d visit a store, and there’d be 10 computers,” Mr. Lampert recalled. “Half of them wouldn’t work.” The lounges were abandoned. “We didn’t have store leaders or a C.E.O. at the time who embraced the idea,” Mr. Lampert said.

In 2013 Mr. Lampert himself became chief executive, something he said he had never aspired to. He expected to stay in the role only a few months. “I wanted to be an idea generator,” he said. “I was trying to be a catalyst, not the operating person.”

poor eddie, thought he was just the ideas guy and is down to his last $1,100,000,000

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
ah yes let’s go hang out at sears since we don’t have the internet at home

oh wait we have internet at home

let’s go shopping at sears on the internet from home

hey what’s this amazon thing

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Shaggar posted:

ServiceNow INC 123456

attachments: img1.jpg img2.jpg img3.jpg img1.jpg img2.jpg img3.jpg img1.jpg img2.jpg img3.jpg

:mad:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Sagebrush posted:

right and cutting yourself chopping an onion incorrectly is just like losing fingers to an improperly modified power tool

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

mystes posted:

I don't think MTAs will generally run javascript, but probably best to embed bitcoin mining code in your emails just to be safe.

but i always put "javascript=yes" at the start of my emails???

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

incels interlinked posted:

poor eddie, thought he was just the ideas guy and is down to his last $1,100,000,000
traditionally, it's the ops person who lounges on internal social media and argues with the staff

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

THE ATTACHMENT IS THE COMPANY LOGO

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

incels interlinked posted:

This is good

Sears’s Edward Lampert Was a Wizard. Now He’s Coming to Terms With Failure.

truly it was because they didnt believe in his vision that the wifi lounges were unsuccessful, and not the fact that some store business unit would need to spend its janitor budget for the year to build the lounges

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
once again my executives have failed me

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
ugh just finished bad blood and now I’m crazy mad about capitalism and its thugs. just want to yell out a big gently caress you

the worst part of all the criminal charges and poo poo are still pending, so who knows if justice will be done

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

El_Elegante posted:

ugh just finished bad blood and now I’m crazy mad about capitalism and its thugs. just want to yell out a big gently caress you

the worst part of all the criminal charges and poo poo are still pending, so who knows if justice will be done

They're all but convicted at this point. Federal prosecutors don't try non-slamdunk cases.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I agree. in comparison by the time I read the smartest guys in the room all the major civil and criminal proceedings had completed, so at least there was a sense of closure

Enron at least had funnier villains, like the guy that smeared gasoline on himself to hide strip club perfume or codenaming their grid manipulation scheme Death Star

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

i always think of this part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ejzBYus8qE

mystes
May 31, 2006

El_Elegante posted:

I just read it too. I can't believe how crazy it was.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
the small consolation is that most of those who lost money were assholes, but the extent of legal and extralegal harassment is galling

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also the fact that they were somehow actually giving patients totally insane test results without anything happening.

Like even if they got away with lying to investors because it was a private company so there was no scrutiny, it seems like they should have been found out when they launched their tests in Phoenix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FrozenVent posted:

that being said, my biggest career advancement was off a resume that had the tagline

Think twice before printing this.
Load the good paper first.

and i got the job lol