Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Every cloud provider has upsides and downsides. Go back to sweeping parking lots.

AWS at least comes to meetings prepared. gently caress Azure. I'll take Google api shenanigans over that crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

AWS at least comes to meetings prepared. gently caress Azure. I'll take Google api shenanigans over that crap.

Wait, you mean their employees/sales reps?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Azure has really fit our needs as a 100% windows based small shop so :shrug: use the tools that work for you imo

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Is this your first day on the internet? NO. Use the tools that I approve or I will belittle you. Everyone's use case matches mine exactly.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Is this your first day on the internet? NO. Use the tools that I approve or I will belittle you. Everyone's use case matches mine exactly.

Nice, when did you start working at Microsoft?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Kashuno posted:

Azure has really fit our needs as a 100% windows based small shop so :shrug: use the tools that work for you imo

I find my windows based cloud computing needs to be handled by google cloud with a better management set, easier to understand pricing reporting, and to be cheaper overall compared to azure. Being small and being pure windows is meaningless in this regard.

Give it a look.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

I find my windows based cloud computing needs to be handled by google cloud with a better management set, easier to understand pricing reporting, and to be cheaper overall compared to azure. Being small and being pure windows is meaningless in this regard.

Give it a look.

I think that's the first I've really heard anyone say anything positive about Google's cloud offering. we just really started our migration to Azure so we will probably at least stick with it for the time being but at least by being on CSP I can easily jump out whenever

e; there's also a decent sized interest in either Dynamics365 or a food industry specific ERP that's just built on top of Dynamics, not sure if that changes things to consider at this time though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

Give it a look.

People know their use cases better than others in this thread. For example, Google Cloud doesn't even have a Canadian region let alone other countries.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Ants posted:

What devices are you using with Teams? Last time I checked the options were pretty thin on the ground, Polycom have been dragging their heels on support for months past when they said they'd have something ready.

We already have the Logitech SRS docks in almost all rooms.
I've got 4 rooms with Surface Hubs.
Both of those in September went GA for Teams support.

We have a 3rd type of room that uses one of our devices that's strictly BYOD, so as long as they have Teams set up already, they can go to town.

So far the task list looks like this:
[done] Get hybrid SFB-Online configured and tested.
[done] Get "meet in teams" added to all Outlook clients.
[In Process] Update firmware and rev on all SRS systems to v.2 with the Sep firmware
[In Process] Update licensing on all room system accounts to add SFBOnline and microsoft PSTN
[Done] Configure Direct Routing for our on prem Audiocodes SBC systems for local Teams Dial in numbers for all accounts.
[Not Started] Build new deployment package for surface hubs.
[Not Started] Promote one test room account from On-prem SFB to SFB-Online. Assign local Teams number from Direct Routing.
[Not Started] Test room setup, meetings, dial in, dial out, SIP only.
[Not Started] Document process changes over current SFB-prem setup
[Not Started] Deploy new package to Surface hub
[Not Started] Promote test hub room account from On-prem SFB to SFB-Online. Assign local Teams number from Direct Routing.
[Not Started] Test hub room, document meeting process. Further, test all online functionality (one-drive etc) that does not currently work with on-prem deployment
[Not Started] Finish training materials
[Not Started] Communicate to the company about the new dual-use rooms, SFB-Online and Teams. SFB users should be able to use the rooms exactly as they did before, Teams is the addition
[Not Started] Bonus: Figure out local dial in number policy for international meetings for PSTN. In theory Teams/SFBOnline for remote users should pick the closest Microsoft pop for communication

TheHeadSage posted:

In 30 days?

:stare:

good luck with the drinking I guess.

We've done a lot of the prep-work already. Our Teams adoption is over 70% in our user-base, I think it's an aggressive, but makeable timeline. I've got 3 people working this as their top priority.

DigitalMocking fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 18, 2018

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

CLAM DOWN posted:

People know their use cases better than others in this thread. For example, Google Cloud doesn't even have a Canadian region let alone other countries.
Incorrect, they launched a Montreal region in February

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why do you continue flogging this when you're so patently wrong?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Banned for mod sass.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

Why do you continue flogging this when you're so patently wrong?

I mistyped and meant App engine. And when the gently caress have I mentioned Google Cloud and Canada EVER, loving quote me you antagonistic poo poo.

e: I'll find the email and screenshot when I get to work. We had a presentation from Google last year about this and had to rule them out because no Canadian location

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 18, 2018

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/locations

quote:

App Engine is available in the following regions:

northamerica-northeast1 (Montréal)

Last year was a long time ago, friend

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That's fair. Glad to be wrong. Maybe we should look at it again.

Doesn't excuse that completely uncalled for rear end in a top hat reply, and my original point is still absolutely correct: No one here knows everyone's use cases or requirements, and has no business judging others choices with such hyperbole.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I don't understand my organization. We use MS for outlook/exchange, Google Drive for shared docs, and AWS for infrastructure

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The only thing legitimately wrong there is using Google drive.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I would hope so. My point was being a 100% windows shop doesn't mean anything when choosing one of the big 3 in a lot of use cases.

Kashuno posted:

I think that's the first I've really heard anyone say anything positive about Google's cloud offering. we just really started our migration to Azure so we will probably at least stick with it for the time being but at least by being on CSP I can easily jump out whenever

e; there's also a decent sized interest in either Dynamics365 or a food industry specific ERP that's just built on top of Dynamics, not sure if that changes things to consider at this time though.

Well that certainly is strange. GCP has been pretty solid for what we have used it for.

Azure is just insanely bad at some things. They are probably the worst of the 2 in forecasting your spending and reporting what you previous spent. Their "advisor" section is just a big advertisement for their prepaid services which is laughable bad outside of the infosec stuff.

GCP alerting you to oversizing of your resources while is pretty slick while not always super useful.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wait, you mean their employees/sales reps?

Yup. I'm sure Azure works as well as any other cloud for small workloads, but god forbid they come to a meeting prepared after begging us to move a large workload to them.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
The only MS we use is O365, and even that sucks, but it's the standard, so we're stuck with it. At one point, I was getting the CEO's email in my inbox for no particular reason. After weeks of back and forth with MS support, I had to run some power shell command that finally fixed it. Message traces didn't help, nor did the first 2 levels of support who wanted to close the ticket almost immediately so their numbers would look good. Now they've implemented a default timeout that logs me out of Outlook in the browser after 3 hours of inactivity that I can't change except with a power shell command. I have an ubuntu laptop and a macbook, so I'm not going to bother trying to figure out how to use power shell on them (I had a Win laptop in the past). I work with the command line on OSX and a few linux flavors about 30% of the time, but I'll never learn power shell because it's a completely non-intuitive pos.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
lol if you work with MS directly on literally anything. I've had to open a couple O365 tickets with my CSP and they've been able to resolve things incredibly quick. Makes my pricing easy and consistent too when everything in their portals points to "go check your CSP for billing info"

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Lucid Nonsense posted:

The only MS we use is O365, and even that sucks, but it's the standard, so we're stuck with it. At one point, I was getting the CEO's email in my inbox for no particular reason. After weeks of back and forth with MS support, I had to run some power shell command that finally fixed it. Message traces didn't help, nor did the first 2 levels of support who wanted to close the ticket almost immediately so their numbers would look good. Now they've implemented a default timeout that logs me out of Outlook in the browser after 3 hours of inactivity that I can't change except with a power shell command. I have an ubuntu laptop and a macbook, so I'm not going to bother trying to figure out how to use power shell on them (I had a Win laptop in the past). I work with the command line on OSX and a few linux flavors about 30% of the time, but I'll never learn power shell because it's a completely non-intuitive pos.

This is the most bizarre behavior I’ve ever heard.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Tab8715 posted:

You could say it's...lucid nonsense

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Powershell is pretty intuitive but whatever. Also, I don't know about that timeout thing, doesn't happen to me at all.

Everyone else must have awful luck with O365, we've had next to no issues with somewhere around 700-800 users across 10 or so tenants, and the few issues we did have were not super hosed up (like people getting other people's emails?wtf?) and were fixed within a day by support.

It was amusing showing one of the O365 support guys how to manage other tenants from my admin user though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We mainly use Azure for the stuff that is fairly unique to the platform - application proxy, Azure AD and the SSO integration with Windows and the future passwordless stuff, managed AD domain services, Windows server backup etc. and it works fine.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 18, 2018

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

Tab8715 posted:

The first issue, yes, but the second issue has a ton of people bitching when I googled it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I got to tell my helpdesk tech they were getting promoted today and they were super excited and happy. Sometimes, being in management is good :3:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Banned for mod sass.
"Managing up"

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I’ve probably - literally - setup hundred of O365 Tenants and I worked with one with over 100k+ users. I haven’t had real problems aside from the occasional outage.

I don’t touch exchange :lol:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 18, 2018

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
Put in my CAPEX/OPEX for next year.

Now to see how hard it gets gutted.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You asked for 30% more than you really need right? It's a dumb game, but we expect finance to cut, so we ask for what we need plus what we expect them to cut.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

skipdogg posted:

You asked for 30% more than you really need right? It's a dumb game, but we expect finance to cut, so we ask for what we need plus what we expect them to cut.

Yeah, I went balls out. Company is doing really well, almost 15% over projections for the year, so I went full bucket list for everything I want. Overestimated all of the costs, added like 3 projects that I don't care if we cut. :p

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DigitalMocking posted:

Yeah, I went balls out. Company is doing really well, almost 15% over projections for the year, so I went full bucket list for everything I want. Overestimated all of the costs, added like 3 projects that I don't care if we cut. :p

Reminds me of back when Dilbert was funny.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I know we had a similar talk not too long ago, either in this thread or one of the other ones, but I have some slight differences in what I'm looking for. I mostly work in Windows, but I'm also occasionally working out of an Ubuntu environment (18.04, Gnome) and don't know the available tools as well. I deal mostly with switches and am looking for suggestions for a decent ssh/telnet client. I am fully aware of the standard CLI ones and I can use them fine and they'll do in a pinch, but I am after something at least a little more feature-rich. The biggest thing I want is host history that persists past the end of a Terminal session or a reboot. It would also be nice to have color customization independent of Terminal. I would like it to be free and I don't care for PuTTY.

I've asked a few people for recommendations and they mostly recommended just using stock ssh with some shell modifications, like bash-completion, which I don't think is going to work for me. For one thing, I am very mobile and am generally on a laptop and not in the same place all day. If exiting terminal or shutting down my computer kills my host history then a lot of the utility is gone. For another, I don't want my host history mixed in with my other terminal commands.

Even better would be something like Royal TS, where I could maintain a list of hosts permanently and just organize them by folder and choose them from a list. But that's probably too much to ask for something free. (There is no Linux port of Royal, and Royal itself is not free past a few hosts.)

I have been pointed to terminator, and that may well be the answer, but I would be interested to know if anyone has anything else to recommend.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Proteus Jones posted:

Reminds me of back when Dilbert was funny.

Man what the heck is with that image of that strip. It looks like it's a several generation deep copy that finally got cleaned up and cropped a bit to try to fix the jank.

Compare to the official version on the syndication site:

I feel like I'm seeing at least one case of having gone through a fax machine that stretches things out because of lovely feed mechanism, another bad photocopy from that so Bob in accounting can put it on his cubicle, etc. Also someone deciding to blank out the AOL email and the website in between panels at some point, which they definitely printed in the papers. Old time Dilbert relied heavily on reader submissions after all, and most came through the email.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
We are looking at a full refresh of one of our datacenters. Pretty small, so the full refresh of storage, switching, and servers, including a new power 9, is only around $1m. I casually priced what I thought it would take to run it in azure, and the total came to over $1m per year, plus we would still need a new power 9 and some of the other stuff we are already going to purchase. With the amount of time we spend maintaining our datacenter infrastructure, I still don't understand how anyone can just move everything to the cloud. We don't do any in-house development that would scale in any way, so that makes a difference. Sales people consistently remind me I am a moron for not being "all in" on the cloud like their other customers, but it just makes zero sense to me.

Maybe I need to just move my network into the cloud to start with?

edit: we have two datacenters that replicate to each other and run at around 50% capacity, both prices listed are for just the one datacenter.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

adorai posted:

We are looking at a full refresh of one of our datacenters. Pretty small, so the full refresh of storage, switching, and servers, including a new power 9, is only around $1m. I casually priced what I thought it would take to run it in azure, and the total came to over $1m per year, plus we would still need a new power 9 and some of the other stuff we are already going to purchase. With the amount of time we spend maintaining our datacenter infrastructure, I still don't understand how anyone can just move everything to the cloud. We don't do any in-house development that would scale in any way, so that makes a difference. Sales people consistently remind me I am a moron for not being "all in" on the cloud like their other customers, but it just makes zero sense to me.

edit: we have two datacenters that replicate to each other and run at around 50% capacity, both prices listed are for just the one datacenter.
Spending your datacenter budget on a bunch of old Magic cards, no matter how rare or desirable, seems like a pretty questionable use of funds

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

adorai posted:

You don't move to the cloud to save money.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

You don't move to the cloud to save money.

Look sir/ma'am the spreadsheet aws made for us assuming we pay full retail for Dell servers with the top of the line warranty, raid cards, and redundant power supplies says we save money hand over fist if we do all up front reserved instances. Barely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

adorai posted:

In my experience there is a lot of creative accounting that goes into the "cloud is too expensive" calculations. They generally omit the facts that:

- You won't need anyone managing on-prem data storage OR SAN networks anymore, depending on scale this can be an entire teams worth of people
- you won't need anyone babysitting VMWare and the associated server components
- you won't need anybody looking after UPS, cooling, technical floorspace
- You won't need to be paying for a separate backup solution
- Entire apps and their associated gatekeepers can be either dramatically simplified or delegated entirely (O365, SCM, etc.)
- You're saving a huge amount of per-port costs, data center networking is expensive especially at 25/40/100G and modern hyperconverged systems use a lot of ports
- Simple stuff can be migrated to severless components which only run when explicitly required and are super cheap
- No maintenance or licensing contracts for hardware/on-prem software components

Sometimes people also forget that on-prem hardware has a lifespan as well, it's not like a DC refresh lasts forever.