Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #7: The World Is A Scary Place

:ghost: Watch a horror film made outside of the USA & Canada. If you live outside of the USA & Canada, you cannot choose a film made in your home country.

29. Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil (2017) Netflix

A Pan's Labyrinth style spooky fairy tale from Spain. It's very hard not to compare this movie to Guillermo Tel Toro's body of work, and sometimes it feels too derivative of it. That said, at least it's a pretty good imitation. I have to say, I'm never not entertained by literal pitchfork devils hopping around in movies.

3/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House | 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night | 13. Tales from the Crypt | 14. Carnival of Souls | 15. The Fly II | 16. Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker | 17. Resolution | 18. The Endless | 19. Spontaneous Combustion | 20. Hardware | 21. The Haunting of Molly Hartley | 22. Hold the Dark | 23. Truth or Dare | 24. Trick or Treats | 25. Dead and Buried | 26. Digging up the Marrow | 27. Frankenstein Conquers the World | 28. The War of the Gargantuas | 29. Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil

Fran Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Basebf555 posted:

*Sleepaway Camp discussion*
I think a big part of what makes the final shot off-putting is that they were able to do it totally in camera without any after the fact visual effects because Angela's face is actually a real, practical mask. That's why her expression is so disturbingly frozen like that. But it's gotta be one of the most effective masks in movie history, it's totally convincing.

Holy poo poo. I had no idea. I'm having a hard time believing this based off of my memory of that bit.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jolo posted:

Holy poo poo. I had no idea. I'm having a hard time believing this based off of my memory of that bit.

Well it's edited extremely well too. So you get a shot of her actual face in the expression, then it cuts to a wider shot and it's the mask. Very clever editing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I think a big part of what makes the final shot off-putting is that they were able to do it totally in camera without any after the fact visual effects because Angela's face is actually a real, practical mask. That's why her expression is so disturbingly frozen like that. But it's gotta be one of the most effective masks in movie history, it's totally convincing.

Which I kind of felt was ruined by the body not moving at all during the shot, making the whole thing look like a sculpture and totally diminishing the effect.

But yeah, the mask of her face is astounding. Totally photoreal.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Which I kind of felt was ruined by the body not moving at all during the shot, making the whole thing look like a sculpture and totally diminishing the effect.

But yeah, the mask of her face is astounding. Totally photoreal.

Probably because it was a drunk young man who was freezing cold and super anxious about having his dong filmed.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
30. Apostle (2018) Netflix

Was expecting something like The Wicker Man but it's a lot more like Cure for Wellness. I liked it overall I guess, but something about it didn't quite hang together for me. Maybe it's the general materialist nature of the supernatural elements that fell flat for me. Which is weird, because I normally prefer spooky ol' literal witches (goddess I guess in this case). Surprisingly gory.

3/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House | 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night | 13. Tales from the Crypt | 14. Carnival of Souls | 15. The Fly II | 16. Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker | 17. Resolution | 18. The Endless | 19. Spontaneous Combustion | 20. Hardware | 21. The Haunting of Molly Hartley | 22. Hold the Dark | 23. Truth or Dare | 24. Trick or Treats | 25. Dead and Buried | 26. Digging up the Marrow | 27. Frankenstein Conquers the World | 28. The War of the Gargantuas | 29. Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil | 30. Apostle

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

149- Trick or Treat 1986 - DVD

Ah, to be a metalhead during the 80s. You had the big Satanic Panic, the PMRC in full pearl clutching mode because all that violence and sex in lyrics had to be bad because it wasn't the sort of 'wholesome' stuff the Baby Boomers listened to, and people presuming you were taking enough drugs to rival Keith Richards. I ended up with a pretty impressive collection of Jack Chick tracts just from visiting my Mom at work in an Iron Maiden t-shirt because her coworkers were concerned for the state of my soul. So, having lived through this era, I do have a very strong soft spot for Heavy Metal Horror.

Trick or Treat was one of the big ones because it had not only Gene Simmons in it, but the Ozzmanian Devil Himself in it before the drug damage caught up to him. It still feels strange seeing Skippy from Family Ties as Eddie 'Ragman' Weinbauer, the metalhead who gets caught up in more than he bargained for.

Ragman is a huge fan of Sammi Curr, a local boy who's done well with his metal band. That Sammi's going to play at the high school on Halloween is the only bright spot he's looking forward to as he's constantly poo poo on by others at school because he's a metalhead. When Sammi dies in a hotel fire, Ragman's devastated. But the local DJ, Nuke gifts Ragman the unreleased last record Sammi made before his death and once he listens to it, we all know where it goes from here.

This one's a pure nostalgia trip for me. I still chuckle at Ozzy playing the Reverend insisting Heavy Metal's corrupting the minds and souls of it's listeners and I still laugh at Ragman's taunting the undead Sammi and only getting a reaction when he calls him a 'pussy wimp poser'. The Fastway soundtrack's pretty decent for the most part.

I'll always consider this one worth a watch.

150- Black Roses 1988 - DVD

I'll never forget the coverbox to this one at the video stores. It was that molded plastic quasi-3D type and generally would crack around the guitar neck and the hand.

Compared to Trick or Treat, this one goes all out with the Heavy Metal and Hell connection. Here we have an up and coming new metal band choosing to play at Mill Basin, a small town with not much if anything going on. There's the usual outcry about think of the children which is pretty much debated down and Black Roses is allowed to perform. The act seems pretty bland at the start and once the few still concerned about this rocking and rolling stuff decide to leave figuring there's nothing to be worried about other than it's awfully loud, the real show starts.

The movie does a nice job of gradually amping up the changes in the town as the Black Roses influence grows and the diabolic starts manifesting. A really nice touch is seeing Carmine Appice from King Kobra and Chuck Wright from Quiet Riot playing members of the diabolic Black Roses. The soundtrack for this is incredible but drat it's a bitch to track down these days.

Normally I'd post a trailer but this fanmade video is better in my opinion. *Possible NWS for sideboobs seen in silhouette*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOStS6Hajws

151- Shocker 1989 - DVD

Out of all the killer still killing after he's dead movies, this one's my fave.

In this one we have Horace Pinker, a murderous TV repairman who's brokered a deal to live after death. After he murders most of the family of the detective on his trail and the girlfriend of the detective's surviving foster son, Johnathan, he's caught and sentenced to the electric chair. Then things really get rolling.

The soundtrack's pretty good with Iggy Pop, Megadeth and quite a few others.

This film is a must see for the final fight between Pinker and Johnathan. While today it's probably nothing special, for back in the day we'd never seen anything like that. I've heard there's a novelization on this one, but I have yet to see anything concrete it exists.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
22. Children of the Corn 1984
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/3FWRECS.jpg[\timg]
How did this series get to ten movies?

A small town in Nebraska gets the Logan's Run treatment, courtesy of a preacher child and basically every other kid in town as his disciples. A while later, two recent college graduates accidentally stumble upon the town and are tormented by the evil children.

Evil kids can be scary, but these evil kids were mostly not. I don't think it helped that almost every one of them with a weapon had to angle the sunlight off of it into the camera in a nice slow shot for emphasis. ~Exploring an abandoned house~ Oh, there's a shot of a small hand turning a sickle. Uh oh, another small hand slowly drawing a big knife.

It's cheap, and it looks cheap, and then the effects start and whoo boy does it look cheap. Overall just disappointing and boring.
:spooky:/5

23. The Gate (1987)
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/XzqpI88.jpg[\timg]
If I learn one thing from 80s movies, it's never ever let your kids stay home alone. They will take any opportunity at self-governance to throw parties and accidentally open gateways to hell and then you'll be stuck dealing with the consequences when you return home. It's not worth it! Just don't have kids!

This movie is kind of nuts, and regular old spooky goings-on are quickly left behind and small demons crop up and the whole place goes crazy. A relatively mild crazy, a G or PG crazy, really, but still pretty enjoyable. This would have been fantastic if I was 13. A pretty fun kids movie that's not afraid to kill some kids.

I got my Dourifs and Dorffs confused, and couldn't figure out how Brad was in this movie.
:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

24. Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers (1988)
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/ezvyNpc.jpg[\timg]
Sleepaway Camp II wastes absolutely no time getting to the slashing. Kids around a campfire share scary stories, and a girl brings up the scariest of stories, a wikipedia plot synopsis of the first film. It happened just 60 miles from here! Camp Counselor Angela, who has some pretty strict definitions of what camp is supposed to be, yells at her for telling scary stories and being alone with the boys after dark. She tells everyone she's going to take the girl back to the cabins and send her home, but then expedites the process by just killing her instead.

It's a pretty fun, goofy by-the-numbers flick, with a whole lot of people breaking Angela's rules and paying for it. Overall it handles the twist of the first movie pretty well for the 80s, I think. Probably would be better without the homosexual slurs, but, 80s teens I guess.
:spooky::spooky:/5

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

graventy posted:

22. Children of the Corn 1984

How did this series get to ten movies?

A small town in Nebraska gets the Logan's Run treatment, courtesy of a preacher child and basically every other kid in town as his disciples. A while later, two recent college graduates accidentally stumble upon the town and are tormented by the evil children.

Evil kids can be scary, but these evil kids were mostly not. I don't think it helped that almost every one of them with a weapon had to angle the sunlight off of it into the camera in a nice slow shot for emphasis. ~Exploring an abandoned house~ Oh, there's a shot of a small hand turning a sickle. Uh oh, another small hand slowly drawing a big knife.

It's cheap, and it looks cheap, and then the effects start and whoo boy does it look cheap. Overall just disappointing and boring.
:spooky:/5

I know Stephen King's a hard one to adapt to film because so much of his work's what's going on in someone's head, but they still could've worked the build up angle better with the couple figuring what happened in the town and keeping the end reveal more in tune with the short story.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

M_Sinistrari posted:

I know Stephen King's a hard one to adapt to film because so much of his work's what's going on in someone's head, but they still could've worked the build up angle better with the couple figuring what happened in the town and keeping the end reveal more in tune with the short story.

Yeah reading the synopsis that would be a much better ending. It just seems like too slight of a story to hold a movie together for 90 minutes.

I have a bunch of the other movies, so I'll probably watch them, but after the disappointing first I might just sacrifice myself to the corn instead.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

32. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - Blu-ray

Another classic knocked off my list. But it didn't really do it for me. A lot of great camera angles, neat zooms, some great lighting, and plenty more add up to a very good movie. But I much prefer the original. Won't be in any hurry to rewatch this where the 1958 version will have my attention any time. It's as well shot, acted, and lit with a more efficient and engaging flow.

As for the disc itself, a couple jumpy glitches in the picture but otherwise great. A number of shots benefit from the quality and it's a candidate for future backyard projector fodder.

Tally: N/A Psycho (1960)*, 1. Halloween (1978), 2. Halloween II (1981), 3. Carnival of Souls (1962), 4. The Blob (1988), 5. I Bury the Living (1958), 6. Dead Men Walk (1943), 7. Nosferatu (1922), 8. Les Revenants (2002), 9. The Mummy's Hand (1940), 10. House on Haunted Hill (1959)*, 11. Lifeforce (1985), 12. The Gorilla (1939), 13. The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960), 14. November (2017), 15. Doghouse (2009), 16 Sssssss (1973), 17. Maniac (1934), 18. Thirst (2009), 19. Horror Hotel (1960), 20. Event Horizon (1997)*, 21. In the Mouth of Madness (1994), 22. Frankenstein (1931)*, 23. Monster from a Prehistoric Planet (1967), 24. The Bride of Frankenstein (1935), 25. The Funhouse (1981), 26. Beetlejuice (1988), 27. Fright Night (1985), 28. Son of Frankenstein (1939), 29. The Terror, 30. A Cure for Wellness (2016), 31. Blood Diner (1987), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Years Spanned: 95 (1922-2017)

Tally by Decade: '20s (I), '30s (V), '40s (II), '50s (II), '60s (VI), '70s (III), '80s (VII), '90s (II), 2000s (III), 2010s (II)

B&W/Color: 14/19

Rewatch/Total Counted: 3/32

Fran Challenges Complete: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

* Rewatch

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#58. Prom Night IV: Deliver Us from Evil, a.k.a., Prom Night: Evil of Darkness (1992)
Aww, they broke it. Mary Lou Maloney is gone, traded out for a boring religious whack-job who bleeds from his palms and feet, not that anything comes of that. Locked away for thirty years in the depths of a church, the psycho escapes and starts killing off students at a four-person post-prom party. That's pretty much it for the story. Nikki de Boer does a fine job as the final girl, but there's not much for the movie to work with, and it's not stylish enough to make the single location striking. There's a few stalker POV shots, Halloween-style, and a fiery climax, but the blunt camera-work, lighting, and framing undercut the tension, there's nothing unpredictable once the story's in motion, and prom really isn't even a factor aside from being something that happened earlier that night. What a shame for the series to end like this.
:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: / 10

#59. Dracula (1931) *
Lugosi and Van Sloan steal scenes in which they don't even appear. What was up with that tiny coffin for the bee? Keeping in mind that this movie set so many standards for the vampire movie in place makes the pacing after leaving the castle more tolerable, but as Nosferatu had already set a higher bar, some of it still disappoints, though that's only on the story side of it. The sets are quite nice, Dracula's castle being the highlight. Swapping around Renfield and Harker was annoying, but I'm assuming that had already been done in the play from which this was adapted. As much of a dash through the story as it is, it's still understandable how this ignited the monster movie craze.
:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: / 10

#60. Critters 3, a.k.a., Critters 3: You Are What They Eat (1991)
Alright, I'm starting to get tired of Charlie. And things have been scaled back down, from rampaging across a town to just tearing things up in one apartment building. The presence of young Leo DiCaprio is probably the most entertaining part of the movie, though there are some decent gags. The Critters have some good life to their puppetry, but the time spent on watching them eat things in a kitchen doesn't really bring anything new to the series, or serve to amuse that much beyond seeing them belch soap bubbles and fart. OK performances from the human cast, but nothing noteworthy. Plays it safer than any previous entry in the series, and that's the worst mistake it could have made. The 'to be continued' credits scene doesn't give me much hope for the quality of Part 4, but I might as well finish this off.
:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: / 10

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Here is a Scream Stream film dump, which I have to say has been a blast. Even if the movie or whatever turns out to be bad it's great to chill and make fun of the bad thing. I definitely recommend trying to join in for the next one.

38. Splinter (2008)

Splinter had an interesting concept that was backed up by decent effects, but is ultimately hurt by some annoying characters and shaky cam. The idea of splinters killing people and reanimating their corpses to find the next victim is a sweet idea but we never really get a decent look at the horrible amalgamations that the spiked creature makes. This is due to the horrible shaky cam that is present throughout the entire movie. It really hurt the film for me and did not make things more tense like I think they had hoped. Also, the two criminal characters are super annoying and hurt the first half of the film.

Overall though, I think the concept leads to a movie worth watching, especially with some friends.

39. CreepTales (1989?)

Fun anthology of B-horror that is best experienced with some friends and some drinks. Some parts drag but the good parts are enough to make an enjoyable viewing experience. This would be a pretty cool movie to have playing at a halloween party or spooky game night.

40. Castle Freak (1995)

Castle Freak is aggressive, mean and really gross, but in between the moments of disgusting gore and violence it manages to tell a heart-wrenching story of a disintegrating family. For a movie that has some of the more horrific moments I have ever seen in a film I have spent considerably more time thinking about the family dynamic presented. Much of this is due to the strong performances from Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton, who excellently portray a husband and wife scraping by after a tragic family event.

Unlike some of Stuart Gordon's other films Castle Freak is pretty much devoid of humor or tongue in cheek horror. Expertly, the film breaks down any of these expectations you might have with a couple early gut punches. After these moments you can't help but take what follows seriously.

Overall I really enjoyed Castle Freak and I hope more people check it out. I'm honestly surprised that I don't see it recommended more because I think it really is something special.

41. Pumpkinhead II: Blood Wings (1994)

Some dumb kids do some dumb things and get revenge killed in dumb ways by a big dumb revenge monster.

Honestly, Pumpkinhead's design is pretty sweet and it's unfortunate that we don't really get to see it doing anything cool. I'm guessing they just couldn't get the practical effect monster to movie very well. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend this but if you're in the mood for something VERY 90s give it a look.

42. Winterbeast (1992)

Hopefully this counts for "Once in a Lifetime", Lurdiak found it, but I am forever in their debt for showing it to me.

Winterbeast is really stupid, but stupid in that perfect way that makes it funny, endearing and at times downright creepy. I'm not sure I would recommend watching this one by yourself because it really benefits from other people making fun of it and just reacting to it. It's kind of like a Tom Green bit in that the hilarious part is seeing how other human beings react to the insanity on display.

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #8: Once In A Lifetime

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #8: Once In A Lifetime

:ghost: Find a director who only directed one film in their career and watch their film.

31. Maximum Overdrive (1986) Amazon

For a while I had assumed I'd seen this movie because I watched the 1990s TV adaptation of the same story. This is a lot stupider (a "moron movie" according to King himself) but it's pretty drat entertaining. It's definitely feels coke fueled, but a movie with this dumb of a conceit probably needs to be a little manic. Probably more explosions that any other horror movie I've seen recently. Still not sure why the aliens made trucks and turkey carvers self animate but not cars, a mystery for the ages I suppose.

3.75/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House | 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night | 13. Tales from the Crypt | 14. Carnival of Souls | 15. The Fly II | 16. Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker | 17. Resolution | 18. The Endless | 19. Spontaneous Combustion | 20. Hardware | 21. The Haunting of Molly Hartley | 22. Hold the Dark | 23. Truth or Dare | 24. Trick or Treats | 25. Dead and Buried | 26. Digging up the Marrow | 27. Frankenstein Conquers the World | 28. The War of the Gargantuas | 29. Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil | 30. Apostle | 31. Maximum Overdrive

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Vending machine kill is probably a top-10 kill in all of horror movies. Right up there with unicorn kill from Dr. Phibes.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
29) Apostle

I watched this on a stream that got really pixelated at points, but I did very much enjoy the story and overall tone of the movie. I think it's another feather in Netflix's cap after things like The Ritual and (so I hear) Hill House.

Watched (29): Puppet Master 4, Puppet Master 5, Terrifier, Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires, Martyrs (2008), Mandy, Babadook, Ghost Stories, Behind the Mask: the Rise of Leslie Vernon, Curse of the Puppet Master, Devil's Candy, Curse of Frankenstein, Mummy, Shining, Horror of Dracula, Quatermass Xperiment, Plague of the Zombies, Revenge of Frankenstein, I Am The Pretty Thing..., Nail Gun Massacre, Tucker and Dale, Coraline, Children of the Corn, Brides of Dracula, Curse of the Werewolf, Splinter, Evil of Frankenstein, Pumpkinhead 2, Apostle

Challenges completed: #1 (Babadook), #7 (The Brides of Dracula)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I told you towns couldn't rename lakes! Part 6 makes such a big deal out of the town changing it's name, but then right at the beginning of Part 7 we get clearly posted signage saying "Crystal Lake" multiple times. Go gently caress yourself Forest Green, municipalities don't have the power to rename geographic features!

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

21. Rec 2 (2009)

Basically more of the same, taking place immediately after the events of Rec 2, but it fills out some of the demon virus background just hinted at in the first movie. It had similar scares, though maybe not as effective as in the first movie. I did like the direction they took with the events of the first, seemed a natural progression in the story.

List (21): Savageland, Ghostbusters (2016), Creep, Vampyr, Hereditary, Frontier(s), Butterfly Effect 3, Only Lovers Left Alive, The Tenant, The Screaming Skull, Hell House LLC, Ringu 0, Cat People, Banshee Chapter, Critters 2, The Endless, The Witch Who Came From The Sea, Behind the Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon, The Old Dark House, Cold Moon, Rec 2
Fran Challenges Fulfilled(4): #1 Love Something You Hate: Only Lovers Left Alive, #2 Queer Horror: The Old Dark House, #3 Hometown Horror: Butterfly Effect 3, #5 Birth Of Horror: The Tenant, #6 Video Nasties: The Witch Who Came From The Sea, #7 The World Is A Scary Place: Ringu 0

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Friday the 13th Part 7 The New Blood

They went and did it, the mad men. After making 5 identical sequels, they actually made a different movie. Not that different, they took the Friday the 13th plot and wove in a story about a psychic teen girl being tormented by an immoral psychiatrist. Hell, for the first half of the movie Jason isn't even the primary antagonist, the psychiatrist is. And it worked great! The new story is good and the movie delivers well on the classic Ft13 formula. You get to know the kids enough to get a sense of their personalities and where they are in life so you feel bad when they die. The kills are brutal but quick.

Jason is absolutely gruesome now. I complained in the last movie about Jason being an immortal zombie because it made the fight too unfair. Well now the girl's a loving psychic, bitch! What are you gonna do about that, Jason? That's right, die. Again.

The old saying is that sequels are the movie again, but bigger, and Part 7 delivered in a really great way. Not only is the final fight bigger because both Jason and the girl have magical powers, but houses get all hosed up too! Jason throws a person through a window, a girl throws a porch at Jason!

Oh yeah, boobs and people getting thrown through windows are back. Friday the 13th is back, baby!

I really liked the two girls drooling over the dumbass

My verdict; Friday the 13th Part 7 The New Blood is the best Friday the 13th since Part 3, at least. A fantastic entry in the series!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd also like to point out that since Part 7 makes psychic powers canon in the Ft13 universe, my theory that the young Jason attack at the end of Part was a psychic premonition of Jason being awoken by the death of his mother is way stronger.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

FRAN CHALLENGE #2: Queer Horror

Into the Forest (2015) [Amazon Prime]

A low-key apocalyptic thriller about two women trying to survive in their home in the forest after the power goes out and civilization quietly crumbles. Picked this from one of Fran's linked lists because I like the two leads. The director, Patricia Rozema, is a lesbian, but considering the two leading women play sisters I was wondering how much it would play as queer cinema. And while the film, gratefully, doesn't stray into incest, there's a non-sexual intimacy between the sisters that feels like it could have been drawn from experiences with female partnerships. That relationship is the heart of the film—there's only rare moments that play as a thriller—and Ellen Page and Evan Rachel Wood are well up to the task of portraying it. A good choice if you're looking for a slower, more dramatic movie for this challenge.

New (19): #1 The Terror (2018), #6 Mandy (2018), #7 Dead Alive (1992), #8 Would You Rather (2012), #9 1922 (2017), #10 Infinity Chamber (2017), #11 Venom (2018), #12 Dagon (2001), #13 Demonic Toys (1992), #14 Murder Party (2007), #16 Godzilla (1954), #17 The Vault (2017), #18 Cargo (2017), #19 Berlin Syndrome (2017), #22 Dawn of the Dead (1978), #25 Split (2016), #26 Seven in Heaven (2018), #27 Happy Death Day (2017), #28 Into the Forest (2015)
Rewatch (9): #2 The Cabin in the Woods (2011), #3 Gone Girl (2014), #4 Annihilation (2018), #5 Seven (1995), #15 A Quiet Place (2018), #20 Doom (2005), #21 Predator (1987), #23 Gremlins (1984), #24 The Andromeda Strain (1971)
Fran Challenges (3/9): #7 [The World Is A Scary Place] Godzilla (1954), #3 [Hometown Horror] Dawn of the Dead (1978), #2 [Queer Horror] Into the Forest (2015)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention one small but very important detail about Friday the 13 Part 7

Zoom! Enhance!

It's a good movie

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

4. The Village - Just really slow and the twist wasn't really integral to the rest of the movie. It's not a twist that suddenly connects all the dots and everything suddenly makes sense, like it some other M. Night Shyamalan movies - you could have just completely edited out the 10 minutes or so near the end and the movie wouldn't have suffered. (The casting and acting was really on point though)

5. The Vault - Eh. This movie just didn't have enough substance to be a full length movie, and so there was just too time spent on just how the robbery was going. A big annoyance was that the ghosts and the original killer all showed up together and behaved the same. It would have made some sense if the ghosts had a grudge against any robbers, but then why was the original killer showing up too? Also the "good" ghost didn't really make sense, I don't see what made him different, and why none of the others were like that.

6. Before I wake - Kinda suffered from not really knowing what it's trying to do. It ended I guess after the whole Canker=Cancer reveal it kinda gave the whole monster a different tone - I feel like the movie was trying to be symbolic with what the monster actually was and what it did to people, but then kinda compromised and made it also just a real horror movie monster that devoured people without a trace. Also the ability to make his vision a reality without sleep is obscenely powerful. .

7. Hellraiser - This was fun. Story was solid enough, but the costumes/makeup/effects sets, etc. are what make this movie interesting and memorable. There were a few minor plot issues e.g. How she struck a deal with the cenobites to take Frank back instead of her and them still trying to take her afterwards. I guess it's fine and they're just jerks, but then why didn't they just use their hooks if they wanted her? Do they have to open the box in a square of candles for the hooks to work? Did she really think the hell gateway key could be burned? What was the deal with the wyvern homeless guy, was he connected to...anybody else in the movie?. But those don't even really detract from the movie, it's really not about that at all, this movie stands upon its effects and is amazing just from the absurdity and quality of them. (FC #5)

Lhet fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 18, 2018

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

43. Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla (1994)

Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla is definitely the weakest of the 90s Heisei era Godzilla films so far. Stuff happens I guess, but for the most part it almost seemed like there wasn't a plot. There are some threads to follow, but they kind of just fizzle out and ultimately don't seem to matter. Usually I can find at least one character to latch onto and that will be enough for me, but vs. Spacegodzilla didn't really have a single character that I found interesting.

The effects are good, and the battles are quite cool at times. I especially liked how whenever Spacegodzilla would land giant crystal spires would emerge from the ground. There is also a new mech, Moguera, and it really just made me want more Mechagodzilla because I thought its design was kind of lame and it annoyed me that it was supposed to be more powerful than the badass Mechagodzilla. Baby Godzilla also shows up, but beyond being super cute it's pretty pointless to the film.

Overall, one of the weaker Godzilla films I have seen.

44. Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)

Godzilla vs. Destroyah is a massive step up from the mostly boring vs. Spacegodzilla. As the finale of the Heisei set of films it really finishes things off on a good note. At the start we're shown Godzilla and he is burning, glowing red. Soon we find out that he is in the process of melting down and could eventually explode causing catastrophic damage. I quite enjoyed this plot line and thought it was interesting to see the military and scientists trying to solve the problem, as well as being really cool seeing Godzilla in this form.

Meanwhile, some scientists discover that the Oxygen Destroyer weapon used back in the 50s to eliminate original Godzilla has caused crab like creatures to mutate to the size of cars. This leads to some wonderful, horror inspired scenes of ground forces fighting these crab things. The scenes and creatures both seemed inspired by the Aliens and were a lot of fun to watch.

Eventually the multiple Destroyah crabs combine into a truly giant, horrible, gross, scary monster and the action packed finale begins. In fitting fashion, the finale of this finale film is bombastic and action packed. It's some of the best kaiju action I have ever seen and truly some of the best the series has to offer. For monster fans Godzilla vs. Destroyah is definitely a must see, if even just for the ending moments. I quite like the whole package, but wow did the ending have my eyes glued.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

CRAYON posted:

43. Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla (1994)

Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla is definitely the weakest of the 90s Heisei era Godzilla films so far. Stuff happens I guess, but for the most part it almost seemed like there wasn't a plot. There are some threads to follow, but they kind of just fizzle out and ultimately don't seem to matter. Usually I can find at least one character to latch onto and that will be enough for me, but vs. Spacegodzilla didn't really have a single character that I found interesting.

The effects are good, and the battles are quite cool at times. I especially liked how whenever Spacegodzilla would land giant crystal spires would emerge from the ground. There is also a new mech, Moguera, and it really just made me want more Mechagodzilla because I thought its design was kind of lame and it annoyed me that it was supposed to be more powerful than the badass Mechagodzilla. Baby Godzilla also shows up, but beyond being super cute it's pretty pointless to the film.

Overall, one of the weaker Godzilla films I have seen.

44. Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)

Godzilla vs. Destroyah is a massive step up from the mostly boring vs. Spacegodzilla. As the finale of the Heisei set of films it really finishes things off on a good note. At the start we're shown Godzilla and he is burning, glowing red. Soon we find out that he is in the process of melting down and could eventually explode causing catastrophic damage. I quite enjoyed this plot line and thought it was interesting to see the military and scientists trying to solve the problem, as well as being really cool seeing Godzilla in this form.

Meanwhile, some scientists discover that the Oxygen Destroyer weapon used back in the 50s to eliminate original Godzilla has caused crab like creatures to mutate to the size of cars. This leads to some wonderful, horror inspired scenes of ground forces fighting these crab things. The scenes and creatures both seemed inspired by the Aliens and were a lot of fun to watch.

Eventually the multiple Destroyah crabs combine into a truly giant, horrible, gross, scary monster and the action packed finale begins. In fitting fashion, the finale of this finale film is bombastic and action packed. It's some of the best kaiju action I have ever seen and truly some of the best the series has to offer. For monster fans Godzilla vs. Destroyah is definitely a must see, if even just for the ending moments. I quite like the whole package, but wow did the ending have my eyes glued.

These are both 100% accurate experiences of the respective films.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

24) Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers (1988)

I was recommended to this movie by a goon - I forget who, so I don't know if they're participating in the Challenge, but it was months ago and not part of the Challenge so I'm counting it for Stranger Danger. Any arguments will be met with the fact that if there's anything stranger than the posters in the Horror Thread, someone already made a movie about it.

The last movie I watched cost £50,000 to make. In comparison to HCH, it looks expensive. HCH isn't just cheap, it's laughably cheap. The budget of "Would you like a blowjob from a real movie actress?" appears to mostly have been spent on coke for the Hookers and on hiring Gunnar Hansen, who deserved much better than a parody script and an erectile dysfunction joke at his expense. That's not to say it fails completely as a movie - it does at least try for laughs and occasionally lands them, putting it four or five notches above the $GENRE Movie series - but it really isn't very good at all.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Hardware (1990) [Hulu]

A wasteland scavenger brings a cyborg head home to his edgelord artist girlfriend. It comes alive, builds itself a body, and tries to kill everybody.

This one is a real land of contrasts. I love the production design, dug the synth score, and Stacey Travis is solid (and absolutely gorgeous) in the lead. But she's surrounded by awful performances (Dylan McDermott offers little more than smarm), uninspired characters (the creepy neighbor is just unpleasant to be around, without ever being interesting or even threatening), and cinematography that while sometimes excellent never copes with the limitations of the robot puppet as well as its contemporaries like The Terminator (which, sure, fine, is an all-time classic) or Death Machine.

Good enough that I'm happy to have seen it, but man I wish its flaws weren't as extreme as its strengths.

New (19): #1 The Terror (2018), #6 Mandy (2018), #7 Dead Alive (1992), #8 Would You Rather (2012), #9 1922 (2017), #10 Infinity Chamber (2017), #11 Venom (2018), #12 Dagon (2001), #13 Demonic Toys (1992), #14 Murder Party (2007), #16 Godzilla (1954), #17 The Vault (2017), #18 Cargo (2017), #19 Berlin Syndrome (2017), #22 Dawn of the Dead (1978), #26 Seven in Heaven (2018), #27 Happy Death Day (2017), #28 Into the Forest (2015), #29 Hardware (1990)
Rewatch (10): #2 The Cabin in the Woods (2011), #3 Gone Girl (2014), #4 Annihilation (2018), #5 Seven (1995), #15 A Quiet Place (2018), #20 Doom (2005), #21 Predator (1987), #23 Gremlins (1984), #24 The Andromeda Strain (1971), #25 Split (2016)
Fran Challenges (3/9): #7 [The World Is A Scary Place] Godzilla (1954), #3 [Hometown Horror] Dawn of the Dead (1978), #2 [Queer Horror] Into the Forest (2015)

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 19, 2018

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Day 18 - Scream and Scream Again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSle6NJY01U

When I woke up, I thought I was going to have a really bad day today. Then I had an epiphany about some materials I had been working with that thought I was going to have to just throw out and start from scratch, and I made something pretty cool. And the exam I thought I completely bombed came back and I got an A for nailing the superdifficult parts even though I botched the simple stuff. My plan was to watch a horror comedy as a pick-me-up but today has been so awesome I wanted to watch something amazing to cap things off. The problem was I didn't have anything except the movie I was saving for October 31 that was a guaranteed great film for me. I dug through the streaming sites without much hope and then I had another great break: Amazon changed their method of browsing movies on Prime so I could dig deep much more easily and found some Vincent Price classics that I had never seen. I'm definitely watching Fall of the House of Usher in the next two weeks but tonight's macabre tale is one I've wanted to see for a while. So let's just say that today has been fantastic.

So there's a guy who passes out while jogging and wakes up in a hospital where the nurse won't talk to him and they're performing operations on him without consent. There's a fascist government that's having an internal power struggle with one faction led by a man whose grip kills. And there's a serial killer in London whose victims are all drained of their blood and demonstrates superhuman abilities when confronted by the police. And in the last ten minutes these plotlines finally dovetail in a completely wild climax that I can promise you does not go where you think it does.

There's two major problems with this movie. First, for a film with Cushing, Lee, and Price, all three are criminally underutilized and they don't have scenes together except for about thirty seconds with Price and Lee at the very end. I wanted to see these actors play off each other and they really don't get an opportunity. Lee and Cushing are barely in the movie at all while Price is on the outskirts of the film until the final scene where he brings everything together. Of course when they are on screen, they're great.

The other major problem is that the plotlines come together way too late. I was thinking, "Did they accidentally shuffle three scripts together?" as I was watching the movie. That's definitely not the case, but they're so disconnected that it's just confusing.

On the other hand, there's a lot of really cool stuff in this movie. The chase after the killer when the cops realize that they're dealing with something more than human. The most infamous part of the movie where the jogger keeps waking up to find another body part has been removed is really horrifying. The climax of the film when everything becomes one giant :wtf:. So Scream and Scream Again have lots of good moments even though they don't hold together as well as they might have. But I still liked it a lot once I got in the groove.

I can't help but feel that Wes Craven missed his double feature opportunity when he just titled his movie Scream 2...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Random Stranger posted:

I can't help but feel that Wes Craven missed his double feature opportunity when he just titled his movie Scream 2...

Would've made an even better triple-feature if that were the case...

Tonight, One Night Only!
Scream and
Scream Again and
Scream and Scream Again

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Prodigy (2018) [Netflix Streaming]

A psychologist analyzes a disturbed young telekinetic. A solid little psychological thriller, much better than the somewhat similar Morgan from a couple of years ago. A lot is asked of the actress playing the patient and she delivers much better than might be expected for her young age, helped by a sympathetic performance from the psychologist. The rest of the cast doesn't deliver as much, but it's mostly a two-person show so that's fine. Competently shot with a few really nice compositions, mostly limited, I think, by the limited scope and limited budget. A fun movie if you enjoy emotionally-driven sci-fi with a few thrills.

New (20): #1 The Terror (2018), #6 Mandy (2018), #7 Dead Alive (1992), #8 Would You Rather (2012), #9 1922 (2017), #10 Infinity Chamber (2017), #11 Venom (2018), #12 Dagon (2001), #13 Demonic Toys (1992), #14 Murder Party (2007), #16 Godzilla (1954), #17 The Vault (2017), #18 Cargo (2017), #19 Berlin Syndrome (2017), #22 Dawn of the Dead (1978), #26 Seven in Heaven (2018), #27 Happy Death Day (2017), #28 Into the Forest (2015), #29 Hardware (1990), #30 Prodigy (2018)
Rewatch (10): #2 The Cabin in the Woods (2011), #3 Gone Girl (2014), #4 Annihilation (2018), #5 Seven (1995), #15 A Quiet Place (2018), #20 Doom (2005), #21 Predator (1987), #23 Gremlins (1984), #24 The Andromeda Strain (1971), #25 Split (2016)

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 19, 2018

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound

City of the Living Dead

Just like I can't go through these marathons without at least one old Universal Pictures movie, I can't have one without some gory Italian 70s/80s movie. And when it comes to that kind of stuff, you can't go wrong with just about any Lucio Fulci film. City of the Living Dead is just about all you want from Lucio Fulci. Gore, zombies, the supernatural and of course even more gore. This one got bleeding eyes, puking up guts and skulls crushed by super strong zombie hands. This movie is all about the supernatural, so the zombies are ghost zombies with super strength and the power to teleport. They are the result of a priest hanging him self and opening a gateway to Hell. People start dying and the main characters got to stop the undead priest from destroying the world on All Saints Day. poo poo looks cool, especially at the end, when they go down in the priest's crypt, and the whole thing got that Lucio Fulci atmosphere, so this is definitely a movie any horror fan should watch.

SMP
May 5, 2009

41. The Haunting of Hill House (2018) - 1.5/5 (Netflix)

quote:

Interminable.

The Haunting of Hill House has the worst writing I have ever seen in something so well-regarded. Given the glut of hidden ghost listicles, I can only surmise that its popularity is based on finding easter eggs. Well congrats everyone, you "solved" the show! You 100%d it. This is the only explanation for its popularity that makes sense to me.

This series suffers no subtlety. Visual storytelling? Succinct dialogue? Ambiguity? No, absolutely not. Anything remotely interesting gets rounded off with a cheap summary of its implications. The point of every scene must be outright stated or otherwise made obvious. It shows an embarrassing lack of confidence or even interest in being a visual medium. Hell, by the end, they drop the pretense entirely. The finale is an hour-long string monologues that strain at profundity.

And that's really the core of the entire show. Writing as many moments as you can that try and imitate the Carousel scene from Mad Men. Everyone—and I mean everyone—has at least two well-rehearsed speeches about something mundane that reveals some greater emotional truth. It's like a parody of prestige TV and it's loving exhausting. Please, just write some small character moments. It's too maudlin for its own good.

Also it's gently caress ugly, the sets are sterile, and it looks like it was color graded with a quick curves adjustment.

More than anything, I regret validating Netflix's metrics that they interpret as people "enjoying" all their overly long series.

I'm a Mike Flanagan apologist, and I gently caress with Gerald's Game, Hush, and Oculus, but man this poo poo was not good.

SMP fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 19, 2018

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

38. Halloween (2018). Directed by David Gordon Green.

A flawed, but really strong, meditation on trauma and the ways in which it manifests across generations disguised as a Blumhouse Halloween reboot. I was worried going into this that it was going to be too much of a fan service mess, but the ways it recontextualizes and reworks iconic shots and moments really help sell the new interpretation of Laurie Strode. The film serves as a great companion piece to the original film, which somehow offers a new interpretation to a film folks have been dissecting for 40 years. David Gordon Green's history as a director of drama really serves him well here, portraying the Strodes as a nuanced and complicated family. If anything, the bits where Halloween remembers it has to be a slasher film end up dragging this film down a bit. They're proficiently executed, but I couldn't help but feel a bit of detachment from them.

Still, it's probably my favorite (mainline) Halloween sequel by a wide margin and one of the better mainstream horror films I've seen in a minute. Your mileage will vary, though.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

17. Monster Squad (1987)
It’s a shame I never saw this as a kid because I would have fuckin loved it. It’s not particularly good but it’s got some charm and Wolfman’s got nards.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

All the people who made Sleepaway Camp really care about are their special effects, which generally all belong in some other, much better movie. I think the final scare works because it looks so unnatural--it doesn't look like a thing that can exist.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

28. Halloween (2018. David Gordon Green) Source: theater

This is like an '80s slasher that does everything right. It's not a satire, a deconstruction or a commentary on horror. It's a straight faced classic slasher that plays by the rules. Plus it's got sympathetic characters, great gore, clever kills, lots of tension and a menacing villain. This is the true-to-form slasher horror fans have been clamoring for since the '90s. If this doesn't breathe new life into the sub-genre I don't know what will.

(4 William Shatners out of 5)

Total: 28
Watched: The Blob (4.5) | Mandy (5) | The Hands of Orloc (4) | Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (4.5) | Fright Night (3) | Black Magic Part II (4) | Body Melt (3.5) | Suspiria (5) | The Old Dark House (4.5) | The Nude Vampire (3.5) | The Thing From Another World (3) | Phantasm (4) | Basket Case 2 (3) | Murders in the Rue Morgue (2) | The Tenant (5) | The Howling (3) | Calvaire (3.5) | Hereditary (5) | Nothing Left to Fear (1) | The Black Cat (4) | The Killing of a Sacred Deer (4.5) | The Hills Have Eyes Part II (0.5) | Cannibal Holocaust (3) | Apostle (2) | Christine (3.5) | Winterbeast (4) | Terrified (3) | Halloween 2018 (4)
Fran Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Countries: USA (18) | Italy (3) | France (2) | Argentina (1) | Hong Kong (1) | Germany (1) | Belgium (1) | Australia (1)
Decades: 1920s (1) | 1930s (3) | 1950s (1) | 1970s (6) | 1980s (6) | 1990s (3) | 2000s (1) | 2010s (7)

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

13. Der Student von Prag (1913)
Watched on Youtube

Sort of a blend of your typical Faustian bargain story and something like Jekyll and Hyde, although it's kind of interesting that the "double" here isn't portrayed as a representation of the character's darker impulses - he's genuinely just a normal, seemingly good-hearted person who gets tormented for being a bit greedy (the ending ends up being pretty predictable, though). This is the first full-length horror film (arguably the first full-length film period), and the impact that it had on later Expressionist films is pretty evident. The split-screen effects are genuinely impressive - they look better than in movies that were trying it decades later. The cinematography feels very stage-like, which makes sense, but the entire film is pretty much long shots and full shots, and the pacing drags quite a bit because of superfluous location shots - the difference in camerawork between this and stuff like Griffith was doing in the US only a couple years later is pretty insane. Also, looking at what happened to basically the entire cast and crew is pretty depressing. One became a Nazi, one died in a French POW camp, one hid fugitives from the Nazis, and one got murdered by the SS.

:spooky::spooky::spooky: . 5 / 5

---

14. The Invisible Man (1933)
Watched on Vimeo

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #2: Queer Horror :siren:

Man, after Der Student von Prag, the pacing of this movie feels like a runaway train. I had irrationally put this off for so long because the first Invisible Man-related movie I ever saw was somehow Hollow Man 2, so I'm glad a challenge got me to finally watch this. Rains' performance is great - for someone you don't even see until the very last second, he manages to be very expressive with only gestures and voice inflections, and he just exudes a weird mixture of menace and panache that has you sort of rooting for him even while he's derailing a train for fun. I didn't realize Karloff was originally supposed to be cast for this, and honestly I don't think he would have been nearly as effective, as much as I like him. The film doesn't invite as much of a queer reading as Bride of Frankenstein, but it's hard not to view lines where the Invisible Man is talking about how the whole world is his hiding place in the context of the director's life, and it's also interesting that the forces arranged against the Invisible Man are the same that typically oppress the marginalized - law enforcement and religious orthodoxy.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: .5 / 5

---

15. Balada Triste de Trompeta, a.k.a. The Last Circus (2010)
Watched on Shudder

A bizarre blend of black comedy, romance, drama, and horror that shouldn't work but does. The Spanish Civil War makes a great backdrop here (and also makes me realize that it's a weirdly under-utilized setting for movies in general), and a premise that is pretty absurd on its face ends up having some genuinely compelling emotional hooks. It takes a little while for the more traditional horror trappings to come out, but once they do, the movie leans hard into them, and the makeup in particular is great. I was a little disappointed that the movie didn't go in a more inventive direction after the amazing opening - the film's middle is a little flabby and derivative, and is mostly sustained by the film's overall manic energy - but the ending ramps up again, and there's a chase sequence on a giant cross (a real life monument erected by Franco, no less) that basically a Spanish nod to the Rushmore sequence in North by Northwest. It's a flawed movie, but there's not much else out there that is like this.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: / 5

---

So Far: Tremors | Blood and Black Lace | Cube | Killer Klowns from Outer Space | Kuso | The Fog | Borgman | The Tenant | Braindead | Al Final del Espectro | The Boxer's Omen | Phase IV |Der Student von Prag | The Invisible Man | Balada Triste de Trompeta
Total: 15/10
Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Years Spanned: 1913 - 2017
Decades Represented: 1910s, 1930s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s
Countries Represented: 8

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 19, 2018

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

31. Honeymoon (2014)

A couple retreats to the wife's childhood family cabin for their honeymoon, far away from civilization. This idyllic getaway ends up being a bit more bizarre after the wife begins sleepwalking. This one lost me really hard for a while, as the first half hour or so is basically cringe-worthy dialogue that leads into sex, repeat, for an almost silly amount of times. Once it picks up, it gets a bit more insane and dips into some gross body-horror that really make up for the poorly written, saccharine early stages.

:spooky::spooky:.5/5

32. Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959) Rewatch

A classic of camp from Hollywood's most interesting failure, Ed Wood. I don't know what to say about it that hasn't been said a billion times over.

How the hell does one rate this?/5

EDIT: 9 Plans/5

33. Troll 2 (1990)

This is a list of shame item. I love campy, so bad they're good movies. I even ended up seeing the documentary, Best Worst Movie, before seeing the actual film it's based on. And you know, I was pleasantly surprised. It's silly, it's dumb, it's poorly acted, it isn't too far from a particularly language-heavy episode of Goosebumps, but you know what? These people tried so loving hard. It's lovable, charming, and honestly, not that bad for the most part.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

34. Re-Animator (1985) Rewatch

An all-time classic, in my opinion, and one of the best Lovecraft-inspired films. Re-Animator is one of my yearly rewatch movies, alongside Sleepaway Camp and Return of the Living Dead. Still fantastic, still funny, still gross (thanks Stuart Gordon), and Dr. Hill is still one of the sleaziest characters in film history.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

35. Bride of Re-Animator (1989)

As much as I love Re-Animator, I don't know why I waited so long to watch this. It didn't adore it quite as much as the original, but it's the same campy, gross fun that the first one is. Jeffrey Combs returns as Dr. West and is kookier than ever, which is basically all I wanted from a sequel.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

36. Apostle (2018)

A man travels to the island of a religious cult in search of his sister. If that sentence gave you Wicker Man vibes, it should. Gareth Evans, director of two of my favorite actions films (The Raid and Raid 2), brings us a slow-burn horror flick that seems to be a pretty heavy homage to The Wicker Man. We've got Dan Stevens (Legion) as our protagonist and Michael Sheen as our enigmatic cult leader. I was super pumped going in and, honestly, I was bored to tears by the first half hour to 45 minutes of this flick. It's the slowest of burns, with barely more than some creepy atmosphere to keep us going. However, once the movie kicks into gear, it really gets going and becomes something entirely fascinating, nuts and special. If I had a complaint about this movie, it's simply too long, and didn't quite need it's over two hour run time.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

Several Goblins fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 19, 2018

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Even if the new Halloween is bare minimum "kind of good" it is by default the 2nd or 3rd best in franchise lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Even if the new Halloween is bare minimum "kind of good" it is by default the 2nd or 3rd best in franchise lol

It's stunningly close to being the 1st best.

• Locked thread