Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Good. More $$$ for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
What’s the over under for me winning? I will buy 2 tickets if it increases my over.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
1 billyun dollars!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
So which goon won 1 billion and is Lowtax getting an enhanced spine out of it?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I’m not a winner. Sorry internet based friends.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a winner because I didn't play. My winnings: a dollar

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The lottery is for idiots.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Buy me a pool, my family needs it I’m told.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

its two dollars, grandpa

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I haven't checked my numbers yet. But I bought like $30 worth so I don't see any scenario where I didn't win having spent so much.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I've never won anything in my life

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord
i didnt win. i suspect the lottery is a scam now

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Looks like no winner. 1.6 Billion jackpot estimated for Tuesday.

Biggest ever

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

its two dollars, grandpa

seriously. i love it when dudes sweat out analysis about buying a fuckin lottery ticket. all grunting and huffin and puffin and thinkin about the 1000 dollars they saved and the compound interest.

your chances are more likely of getting struck by lighting 1 million times and rolled down a hill into a patch of bees than winning the lottery (probably i didn't waste my time calculating it).

2 bucks for a billion? its good risk/reward.

naem
May 29, 2011

that irrational “did i win????” feeling is super fun

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
New lucky numbers for interested goons

Seven

Six

Five

Okay play those at your own peril.

red sampson
Oct 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Kazak posted:

How do I pick random lotto numbers

Make a cat do it, jacks are wild

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I bought two tickets and didn't win anything. I guess this means I can win almost 2 billion dollars after the weekend.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord
When I win I’m going to invest it in some huge unnecessary public works project in the middle of nowhere.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
When I win I'm gonna buy all the politicians that make laws for only 10 grand from their corporate overlords and then politics are gonna get really wacky

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Already talked this over in another thread. Originally thought "burn it on live tv" but then the low low price of politicians came up.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Politicians are cheap. Fly them somewhere, feed them, donate to their "re-election" campaign.

I'd like to change my answer. Instead of burning the money entirely, I'll buy up a bunch of politicians, put them all on the same flight to meet me somewhere secluded, eccentric and renovated to resemble a 1920s mansion. Then lock them inside and burn the motherfucker down. Hire a bunch of attorneys, blame it on faulty wiring and door framing from the remodel, walk off with a fine.

Then start all over again after the next election cycle.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

So this actually does something interesting mathematically.

So, odds are 1 in 300 million.

After tax, you're probably looking at 900mil takehome.

So, if only 1 winning ticket is sold, then on average a 2 dollar ticket is worth 3 dollars.

You still won't win, but its a neat tidbit.

And I'm an idiot who's going to buy one because someone has to win, right?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I usually buy a Powerball when it gets over 300 mil or so.
Just one, though. No real sense in dropping $20 since the biggest jump in probability is 0 to 1 ticket.

Pretty sure I've never matched a single number in the dozen times I've played over the past 10 years.

Edit:
It's always fun to daydream about having more money than God. It's extra fun when there is a SLIGHT chance that it'll actually happen.

I want a grotto. It can be fake, I don't care. Just a pool that covered by an outcropping of stone.
That sounds relaxing as hell.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 21, 2018

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Inzombiac posted:

I usually buy a Powerball when it gets over 300 mil or so.
Just one, though. No real sense in dropping $20 since the biggest jump in probability is 0 to 1 ticket.

Pretty sure I've never matched a single number in the dozen times I've played over the past 10 years.

Edit:
It's always fun to daydream about having more money than God. It's extra fun when there is a SLIGHT chance that it'll actually happen.

I want a grotto. It can be fake, I don't care. Just a pool that covered by an outcropping of stone.
That sounds relaxing as hell.

Yeah but I bought the powerplay, whatever the gently caress that is, she asked and I said sure. Sounded alpha.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I would donate all my winnings to Trump's re-election campaign.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Relentless posted:

So this actually does something interesting mathematically.

So, odds are 1 in 300 million.

After tax, you're probably looking at 900mil takehome.

So, if only 1 winning ticket is sold, then on average a 2 dollar ticket is worth 3 dollars.

You still won't win, but its a neat tidbit.

And I'm an idiot who's going to buy one because someone has to win, right?

This is called +EV in gambling parlance, that means the bet overall has a positive expected value

You have to consider the possibility of more than one win sharing the jackpot though, and the the number of tickets sold increase that dramatically in big jackpots like this. But as a counterweight the jackpot is not the only win you can make buying a ticket.

There's also a thing called Fun EV. Generally the lotto is not worth playing unless for you there is some positive fun EV involved.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I have purchased one mega millions ticket with my hand selected numbers designed to minimize the chances of having to share the jackpot with others who hand pick numbers.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

raton posted:

This is called +EV in gambling parlance, that means the bet overall has a positive expected value

You have to consider the possibility of more than one win sharing the jackpot though, and the the number of tickets sold increase that dramatically in big jackpots like this. But as a counterweight the jackpot is not the only win you can make buying a ticket.

There's also a thing called Fun EV. Generally the lotto is not worth playing unless for you there is some positive fun EV involved.

I hate this part of breeding Pokémon.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Nobody won Powerball in a while, either. It's at 620 million. 5th largest jackpot ever.

So if no one wins that on Wednesday, it will jump to #3.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I’m going to buy twitter and throw it in the trash.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Pawn 17 posted:

I’m going to buy twitter and throw it in the trash.

:thunk: How can you trash what is already trash?

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

binge crotching posted:

:thunk: How can you trash what is already trash?

Twitter is trash that is not yet in the trashcan where it belongs. I will fix that. :thumbsup:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Well, it Was life changing i bet.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Based on my poor understanding of statistics he has roughly a one in four million chance.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

reignofevil posted:

Based on my poor understanding of statistics he has roughly a one in four million chance.

1600 times better than me !!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I'm guessing that even after he loses his $3200 he still won't realize that the lottery is supposed to be a fun diversion, not an investment strategy.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm guessing the guy that got that image from the office pool and then pretended it was him emptying out his account is a fan of getting attention online

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
That's decent chances of hitting at least the first couple numbers once or twice. Dunno what the return on that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

That's decent chances of hitting at least the first couple numbers once or twice. Dunno what the return on that is.

Poverty

• Locked thread