Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My lot is just shy of a half acre. Almost entirely wooded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Kids can't play there because?
In australia if you were in a town or suburb that would be over a million (or US$700,000). If you were near a city that would be double that.
Large blocks are rare because many boomers became millionaires buying up and subdividing in the 90s, and we haven't had are bubble bust here yet.
In Australia when you buy a house (as a place of residence to live in), you are on your own. When you buy extra houses you get tax deductions and neg gearing so you can socialize the losses and go truly "gently caress you, got mine". Therefore the people wanting a 2nd,3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th house etc can afford to pay more than people wanting to buy their first. So prices are ridiculous as it's not their own money multiple house owners are actually paying, and they have equity in other properties so bigger bank loans are offered too.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 18, 2018

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

QuarkMartial posted:

I'm not sure edging that long is healthy....

Hold on loosely

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

STR posted:

You have my full attention.

There is a very nice 1998 Prelude in my area with only 120k miles on it. Everything works too (supposedly). I'm gonna check it out but I really don't want to pay $4k for it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fo3 posted:

Kids can't play there because?
In australia if you were in a town or suburb that would be over a million (or US$700,000). If you were near a city that would be double that.
Large blocks are rare because many boomers became millionaires buying up and subdividing in the 90s, and we haven't had are bubble bust here yet.
In Australia when you buy a house (as a place of residence to live in), you are on your own. When you buy extra houses you get tax deductions and neg gearing so you can socialize the losses and go truly "gently caress you, got mine"

People want wide open spaces with grass. This is trees, dead trees, more trees, stumps and hope you like spiders!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

People want wide open spaces with grass. This is trees, dead trees, more trees, stumps and hope you like spiders!

It doesn't happen to back up to 24, does it?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I'm used to spiders. People joke about that down here, but seriously the last place I lived at had a driveway between grape vines and rose bushes loaded with spiders. Both me and my exes cars became spider homes.
Since we split I've been told by my ex that some mechs didn't want to work on her car due to the amount of spiders under it - they actually asked her was it some car abandoned in the bush for years.
In my ute I find it hard to get rid of the small spiders living behind the side mirrors - always making webs. Also the loving redbacks that live around the rear leaf springs and wheel well.

They're everywhere in AU as there's no cold to kill them off. You don't need forest or shrubs either, sheds are full of them and some prick has moved into my current house, living in the cowl panel of the e34. You just become used to spiders everywhere here and at best just reduce the chance of running into snakes
E: tree spiders good (usually orb weavers), they pack up and go home. Redback spiders bad (prefer man made environment and hang around and breed)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 18, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

It doesn't happen to back up to 24, does it?

No, it's smack in the middle of a neighborhood.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
That spider infested shithole I used to live in? Worth 1.3 million

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

64bit_Dophins posted:

There is a very nice 1998 Prelude in my area with only 120k miles on it. Everything works too (supposedly). I'm gonna check it out but I really don't want to pay $4k for it.

If you can find a minty one for not too much coin, they lower REALLY well and look cool as poo poo.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Jumping back a couple weeks. was there any real revelation/follow-up to that Supermicro/china hardware hack)? Last I knew it was all still speculation and largely less believable as the day progressed but then it promptly fell off my radar.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If anyone wants to chime in and mention things that are conventionally overlooked in home inspections please feel free. I'm going to assemble a list and hand it off to whomever we hire and say "plz do dis too."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Jumping back a couple weeks. was there any real revelation/follow-up to that Supermicro/china hardware hack)? Last I knew it was all still speculation and largely less believable as the day progressed but then it promptly fell off my radar.

It does seem like bullshit in the end, or at best someone got confused about what they were hearing. I haven't seen anything since other than some more pile-ons. :shrug:

No cheap Supermicro boards dumped en masse on eBay yet.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

If anyone wants to chime in and mention things that are conventionally overlooked in home inspections please feel free. I'm going to assemble a list and hand it off to whomever we hire and say "plz do dis too."

Having grown up watching a lot of US horror movies in the 80s, have you checked whether or not it's built on an Indian burial ground??

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Having grown up watching a lot of US horror movies in the 80s, have you checked whether or not it's built on an Indian burial ground??

poo poo.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I am pretty psyched about moving next year. All the little crap we don't like about our current house will be gone. The current place is nice and the layout is great except:

Pointless 2 story entry way. Sound goes from downstairs to upstairs way too easily. It seems to inject itself into the baby's room. This means I haven't used the TV downstairs in the evening in about 6 months.
Garage is only ~20x20ft. This sucks. The garage ceiling is pretty low because the house is entirely on a slab.
Laundry is downstairs.
Pretty sure the carpet is original and it's dead. Also the former puppy peed on it and chewed a spot out of it.
The HOA company is a Rolls Royce Trent 1000 intake of suck. Goddamn I hate them.
The lot is fine. Some of the gardening things that we wanted to do didn't happen mostly due to timing.
The kitchen is pretty good but mah gawd the new one is amazing.

But also, my dudes, 3 car garage.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Gutters and underground storm drainage... especially with a wooded lot.

Also, I'm assuming it's city water / sewage, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Gutters and underground storm drainage... especially with a wooded lot.

Also, I'm assuming it's city water / sewage, right?

Yup, lovely city.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If you can find a minty one for not too much coin, they lower REALLY well and look cool as poo poo.

Yeah it has been one of my dream cars since I was a kid. It's very tempting, especially since I'm going to need to get a new daily beater here soon.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

meatpimp posted:

On your light switch, get a cheapo outlet tester like this https://www.amazon.com/Receptacle-Tester-Klein-Tools-RT210/dp/B01AKX8L0M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1539858988&sr=8-4&keywords=outlet+tester and test ALL of the outlets, top and bottom. A lot of times switches are only wired to one outlet in a duplex outlet.

There's actually no power at the switch so it's fully disconnected near the outlet. Not sure why someone would do that other than they didn't know how to clip the little bridge on the outlet to separate top from bottom or something. I suspect if I'd paid more attention I would have found the wires next to the outlet that's now buried behind my desk that won't move until I move out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3J0iwwsq-w

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

LloydDobler posted:

There's actually no power at the switch so it's fully disconnected near the outlet. Not sure why someone would do that other than they didn't know how to clip the little bridge on the outlet to separate top from bottom or something. I suspect if I'd paid more attention I would have found the wires next to the outlet that's now buried behind my desk that won't move until I move out.

Not to belabor the point, but there's often no power at the switch, depending on who wired it, you may just have the common going down the wall and switched, with the neutral not even in the wall. Either way, it shouldn't be too hard to troubleshoot and fix whenever you get to it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

QuarkMartial posted:

I'm not sure edging that long is healthy....

Wow dont kinkshame

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Sometimes when we touch
The honesty's too much

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Wow dont kinkshame

more like concern trolling but wow okay

Have you checked the pad thickness of the garage and whether or not it'll support a lift?

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Seemed like it vanished/was not that important, but the SSH flaw from earlier this week was serous LMFAO stuff.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/security-flaw-in-libssh-leaves-thousands-of-servers-at-risk-of-hijacking/

tl:dr - SSH would accept a bogus "SUCCESS" message instead of finishing it's authorization.

I mean, it's LMAO stuff for me, because I am not the SSH admin anymore.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

everdave posted:

You WILL at some point have to replace AC and water heater maybe 6 months maybe 15 years just know. And please try to fix water heater yourself if it’s a normal one so easy. But I knew going in the ac was 17 years old and when it went that was $5k. Just part of owning a house.

Holy crap, you drew the poo poo card on your HVAC. The only thing to poo poo out is the capacitor on my AC condenser twice over the past 15 years, which is :10bux: and a super quick and easy fix. Both HVAC units are from 1978.

Rhyno posted:

Electrical wiring/sewer line if you have trees in the front yard. Also, make sure the exterior walls/ceiling is insulated, it sounds crazy but my cousin bought a house a few years ago with an after build date associated with the house where they pushed 1 wall out to create more room and it was missing the insulation.

keykey fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 18, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Yeah, my work buddy just found roots in his sewer lines of a house he moved into a few months ago. Get that poo poo checked. Literally.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I got my new Hero 7 Black today and it is very neat. I will enjoy this gadget very much I think.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If at all possible take a few weeks or something before you move in, or move into one room, and paint the F outta that house inside. I took a month and my house is like 1200 square feet but i repaired walls and floors and painted every square inch alone (a day or two with ex and family to be fair). it still looks very nice.

if the home inspector ain't getting his butt up in the attic and crawling all over the place then he isn't doing good. Basement you gotta look out for water as others have said. ROOF, WIRING, THINGS THAT COST A LOT OF MONEY just make a list. AC HEAT ROOF.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Offer accepted, contract signed. Now to find plans for a garage. Thinking 30x50 pole barn. Anyone with ideas?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What's the deal with planning laws etc?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Proof of hack was demanded that should have been very easy to come up with (model number, batch numbers, serial numbers) so actual security experts could get stuck in and verify the claims. So far no verifiable evidence has been presented so right now it's being dismissed as bullshit and the companies involved are being unusually specific in their denials (No we refuse to confirm / deny or a vague denial, it's outright "No, this didn't happen, the article is bullshit"). Given these statements are vetted by lawyers to make sure the company rear end is protected, the very direct and blunt language used is probably a good indication the companies involved feel they dont need to cover anything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

If at all possible take a few weeks or something before you move in, or move into one room, and paint the F outta that house inside. I took a month and my house is like 1200 square feet but i repaired walls and floors and painted every square inch alone (a day or two with ex and family to be fair). it still looks very nice.

if the home inspector ain't getting his butt up in the attic and crawling all over the place then he isn't doing good. Basement you gotta look out for water as others have said. ROOF, WIRING, THINGS THAT COST A LOT OF MONEY just make a list. AC HEAT ROOF.

We potentially have a hookup on having the entire interior of the house painted. My wife's been in the rental industry for 6 years now and has made a ton of connections and their primary painter made an offer to do it. So that's a good option to have.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That would Be sweet then, I just hope you don’t go all like rental white inside

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

That would Be sweet then, I just hope you don’t go all like rental white inside

Ewwwww, gross.

Basement is getting a dark gray with white trim. Wife's office is gonna be red. We dunno what else yet.

Here is my basement space

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

some_admin posted:

Seemed like it vanished/was not that important, but the SSH flaw from earlier this week was serous LMFAO stuff.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/security-flaw-in-libssh-leaves-thousands-of-servers-at-risk-of-hijacking/

tl:dr - SSH would accept a bogus "SUCCESS" message instead of finishing it's authorization.

I mean, it's LMAO stuff for me, because I am not the SSH admin anymore.

:stare:

So the super micro is garbage. Thought as much, just fell off my radar too quickly. Thanks.

Today was an ok day. Kids were pretty well behaved. Tacos for dinner, and a little game time after they went to bed. Can’t complain.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Ewwwww, gross.

Basement is getting a dark gray with white trim. Wife's office is gonna be red. We dunno what else yet.

Here is my basement space

That place looks massive sweet man. I used some blues and grays and even did this super dark gray in my remodeled bathroom recently and I’m still pleased with the colors.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Rhyno posted:

My lot is just shy of a half acre. Almost entirely wooded.

Time to visit the stihl dealership and learn how to not dismember yourself with a chainsaw then.

If I had half an acre of wooded land I’d have a super efficient slow combustion wood stove installed as I moved in and use wood heat for winter warmth. But that’s cos power costs 40c/kWh here do reverse cycle AC is hilariously expensive to run and at $120 per 45kg of bottled LPG gas heat ain’t an option either!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Rhyno if you don't take the opportunity to put in a slab of cork and a big honking dart board for Guys Game Night I will be severely disappointed in your utilization of an actual, certified and notarized Goon Cave (tm).

• Locked thread