Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That is a loving awful photo. Not only does his beard line up with a similarly-valued background element but, in general, portraits like this are supposed to evoke an image of the person, to speak to us the viewer without words to say "this is not just who this man is, but who he aspires to be, this is the truth of him."

That is a photo of an old man standing in scrubland, his glasses missing, in profile. It tells you nothing about him, nothing about his dreams, his personality. It is devoid of any meaning. There's something of worth there, in that the Gurm dwells in Santa Fe, but there's no tableau to tell an uninformed viewer a single thing about him.

That photo is utter poo poo.

E: I'm actually seriously loving offended by how try-hard amateurish that photo is.

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I agree, it's very fitting.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i'm the flesh crease from the glasses temples.
pls dont sightshame

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

That is a loving awful photo. Not only does his beard line up with a similarly-valued background element but, in general, portraits like this are supposed to evoke an image of the person, to speak to us the viewer without words to say "this is not just who this man is, but who he aspires to be, this is the truth of him."

That is a photo of an old man standing in scrubland, his glasses missing, in profile. It tells you nothing about him, nothing about his dreams, his personality. It is devoid of any meaning. There's something of worth there, in that the Gurm dwells in Santa Fe, but there's no tableau to tell an uninformed viewer a single thing about him.

E: I'm actually seriously loving offended by how try-hard amateurish that photo is.

I think you'll find that it fits "this is not just who this man is, but who he aspires to be, this is the truth of him" very well, actually.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Chieves posted:

At first glance I thought his beard was curving upward, it blended in seamlessly with the rock formation in the background.

Until I read this I didn’t see anything but an upturned beard.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i would think gurm has out done every one of his aspirations actually

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

In the mobile thumbnails it looks like his beard transformed into a baby’s arm.

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008
Did they erase the waist size and length of his pants?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

32L x 98W

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gurm pants do not conform to traditional measurements. They're a non-euclidean entanglement of angles and depth that mere mortals can never understand. Like a sea of farts stretching out over an ever expanding horizon of denim.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
"The God of many Faces is also the God of Many Arses, and so you must learn more about those as well if you mean to be one of us", the Kindly Man had said, and sent her to her new apprenticeship. Maester Bomul was an eccentric old man from Oldtown, one of the few to have earned a nightsoil link for the chain of many metals wrapped around his neck. Despite him being a foreigner, the braavosi had warmed up to the Arsemaester, and came to him for treatment of all sorts of maladies.

She had a new face as well, given in the catacombs below the House of Black and White. A bulbous nose, a thick black mustache and large myrish seeing-glasses made sure that no one would recognise her as Arya of House Stark. Bomul was brusque but not unkind, beating his servants only every other hour, and always let Arya grab a bite from his table, eggs cooked with fiery peppers and crusty bread still warm from the ovens.

She washed her hands and entered the purging chamber where the next patient awaited, and stood there mute. Bent over the table, undressed from the waist down, was Roose Bolton, Lord of the Dreadfort. He noticed her standing there and pierced her with his pale gray eyes. "Are you daft, girl? I have come all the way from Westeros to find a cure for my bowels. Prunes and leeches are of no avail any longer." She nodded silently, still unsure of what to say or do. "You are as useless as nipples on an arseplate." Bolton said, sighing. "I would have my son Ramsay set you aright, but he is outside killing every cat in the city after one crossed his path."

"Yes, m'lord. At once." She said as she found her voice, walking over to a nearby bench and unrolling a cloth wrapped around the utensils of her new trade. A variety of probes thick and thin, curved wires and wooden scoops all sorted out. On a shelf were vials of oils and oinments, and but the one she picked came from a pocket inside her sleeve, not the Arsemaester's wares. A refined form of the poison called the Strangler, the purple liquid called the Shocker felt cold as she used it to coat three of her fingers. "Take a deep breath, m'lord. This will hurt little and less."

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Collateral posted:

Where I come from almost everybody ends sentences with "like." Or "like eh." Which is super retarded.

Easy there, bud.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Hello mild cards, this is a bit of a crosspost, but since we don't really read much of the Grum, I've taken to doing writing myself again and want to share my non-Game Of Bones work.

I released a (mostly typo free) set of horror/supernatural shorts two years ago called The Penumbra, which is planned to be an anthologized series of these things.
The first intro story has been free since I first put it online and I recently revamped my site this month as I revised the collection and in preparation for volume 2!

http://thepenumbra.net
(cover work by the forumses own asylum years)

If yall want to do the follow chain thing, I'm https://twitter.com/penumbraben

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/jordosbaloney/status/1053725646290067456?s=20

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Part 1 of Never To Be Finished Either

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i'm the flesh crease from the glasses temples.

Christ that indentation makes my head hurt just seeing it. Why do people not get properly fitted glasses?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

why is he in the desert

doesn't the gurm live in New Jersey?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The worst part is I'll buy this dumb book

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Malpais Legate posted:

why is he in the desert

dude's an art isn't ofc he's gonna live in N.M. near Taos

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Malpais Legate posted:

why is he in the desert

He was born in Jersey, he lives in New Mexico. Because, why the gently caress would you want to live in New Jersey?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

nine-gear scarecrow posted:

He was born in Jersey, he lives in New Mexico. Because, why the gently caress would you want to live in New Jersey?

idk why the gently caress would he write not write on a lovely 700 year old computer, the man is a loving torrent of bad decisions

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Malpais Legate posted:

idk why the gently caress would he write on a lovely 700 year old computer, the man is a loving torrent of bad decisions

wu-wu-ruh-rah? rawite? wuright? rruu

ruuu eight

no, this does not compute

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

what if the real reason winds is never coming is his wordstar machine finally died and he has no backups

would explain why he keeps showing off that arya chapter over and over again...

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Malpais Legate posted:

why is he in the desert

He lives in Santa Fe

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

I'm sorry

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

esperterra posted:

Same.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Is it a stand alone book? If there’s no sequels I might consider getting it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ccs posted:

Is it a stand alone book? If there’s no sequels I might consider getting it

It’s the first of a two-part anthology. And this first part alone took him 5 years to compile with two other people helping him, and he’s said the follow up itself is still “years away”. Don’t hold your breath for that second one.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmbo did Linda and Elio help on this one?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's still time for him to start a third or even a fourth new series to not finish!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I know right, even a simple crop makes it 5x better.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
.5” better

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Replace Gurm with a fat pink mast and you'll have a good sense of the man and what he's about

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I want to cut off that gross pure beard so bad.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

esperterra posted:

what if the real reason winds is never coming is his wordstar machine finally died and he has no backups

would explain why he keeps showing off that arya chapter over and over again...

I thought I read somewhere that he already got a new machine and paid some psychopath to install wordstar on it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

loving lol

what an absolute fucker

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
He spent such an inordinate amount of time describing the patheticness of Maester Pycelles wispy beard after Tyrion has it chopped off and now I'm just realizing this was him looking in a mirror.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wet Biscuit McGlee posted:

He spent such an inordinate amount of time describing the patheticness of Maester Pycelles wispy beard after Tyrion has it chopped off and now I'm just realizing this was him looking in a mirror.

the over-exaggerated way they emphasized that Pycelle can gently caress/is spry like it was some kind of reveal or something was perplexing to me

now i sort of get why that was done but still, how was it possible to make that feel heavy handed

an old man is taking advantage of a position of authority to bone? not in my seven kingdoms!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Make Westeros great again

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

syscall girl posted:

the over-exaggerated way they emphasized that Pycelle can gently caress/is spry like it was some kind of reveal or something was perplexing to me

now i sort of get why that was done but still, how was it possible to make that feel heavy handed

Why was it done? I thought it was just to add in a bit of humor, or to show that "things aren't what they seem!" early on in the show. But I don't remember any specific payoff to him faking being old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

syscall girl posted:

an old man is taking advantage of a position of authority to bone? not in my seven kingdoms!

"He can gently caress" wasn't the reveal. The reveal was that he's pretending to be pathetically weak so he seems like a non-threat.