Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

This is Morrison's Joe "The Hockey Stick" moment, isn't it? Dude is not prepared for this kind of attention, at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
"...CANBERRA BUBBLE politics. I'm not in the Canberra Bible, I'm out of it!"

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Just asking questions, pathetic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

scotty doesnt know who he's talking to

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
that interview is elder abuse

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
oh he's only 4 years older than karl

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Frogfingers posted:

This is Morrison's Joe "The Hockey Stick" moment, isn't it? Dude is not prepared for this kind of attention, at all.

The man the myth the legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZknIj4Yre0

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

I swear there was a version of that with Morrison giving the interview, Hockeystick style but I can't find it anymore. Does anyone have it still?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I love Karl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzmAEQzZJ5Q

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Watching Facebook posters melt down over the St Kilda road bike lane proposal is a great way to spend a Friday afternoon.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
BUT... MY REGISTRATION!

:qq:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/strom_m/status/1052493674225926145?s=19

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/19/greens-praise-progressive-kerryn-phelps-ahead-of-wentworth-byelection

Fucks sake DiNatale

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
how does he gently caress up simple bromides like this, my god

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And here I thought friendship was supposed to be magic

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And here I thought friendship was supposed to be magic

Nope science is magic that's approved by God. So sayeth ScoMo

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
its important to distinguish sharia law, which is black magic, from Science! which is white magic

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

scotty doesnt know

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Allow Me To Take You To The Land Of Fantasy And Goblins posted:

History gives Coalition hopes of winning next election

DENNIS SHANAHAN

Facing a by-election test in the Sydney seat of Wentworth on Saturday that could remove the ­Coalition’s majority, Scott Morrison is in a dire fight for electoral survival with only seven months, at most, until the next election.

But for all the poor polling, turmoil within the Coalition, Liberal disruption and Labor discipline, the Prime Minister is not in historically as bad a place as he could be — he’s in a better personal position in the polls seven months from an election than Paul Keating, John Howard (twice) and Tony Abbott when they pulled off victories against expectations.

In the latest Newspoll, Morrison leads the Coalition with a 37 per cent primary vote, a two-party-preferred vote of 47 per cent, a net satisfaction of 7 per cent and a preferred prime minister rating of 45 per cent — 11 points ahead of Bill Shorten.

When Keating won the unwinnable in 1993 against John Hewson, his Newspoll ratings seven months from the election were a net satisfaction rating of minus 36 per cent and a preferred prime minister rating of 32 per cent — eight points behind Hewson.

Primary vote then for the ALP was 36 per cent but at the election Labor’s primary vote had risen to 44.8 per cent and Keating’s personal satisfaction had improved to minus 25 per cent, just one point behind Hewson as preferred prime minister

Twice, in the GST election of 1998 and the 2001 election after the GST was introduced, Howard was in a worse position than Morrison and recovered to win. In 2004, Howard was in a marginally better position than Morrison seven months before he called the election but was still in trouble against the ALP, but won.

Morrison is in a better position overall, including higher personal standings at this stage of the election cycle than Keating in 1993 and Howard in 1998, 2001 and 2004.

The only two leaders in a better position than Morrison seven months out in the past 30 years were Kevin Rudd in 2007 and again in 2010, although he lost the leadership before the election, and Malcolm Turnbull in 2016 when he lost 14 seats and survived with a one-seat majority.

The key to success for leaders who turned around losing positions in six months to win is the primary vote. Keating went from 36 per cent to 44.8 per cent at the election and Howard from 37 to 43 per cent in 2001.

Morrison has steadily improved the Coalition’s primary vote from the disastrous 33 per cent when Turnbull was removed to 37 per cent.

As Prime Minister, he’s lifted his satisfaction with voters to a net plus seven and turned Shorten’s lead as preferred prime minister from six in front to 11 behind.

Paradoxically, Shorten’s personal figures seven months out from an election are the worst of all the leaders including Keating, Bob Hawke, Howard, Rudd, ­Abbott, Turnbull and Morrison.

History at this stage of the cycle suggests Morrison still has a chance of victory next year but he is going to have to do much better in the next few months.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Good to see the leader of the Democrats pitching in his opinion.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Bravely dedicated his life to further the field of dietetics.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Wow when I said rebrand I didn't mean to the democrats

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gdi anidav

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Poor little ScoMo, can't even sneak into a photo op without scaring the prince.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

so what this is actually telling me is that the only time a leader has pulled off a win from <50% 2pp 7 months out was Howard, in 2004; that PPM is an absolutely pointless and irrelevant statistic... and that based on these figures, the Libs will have to steal yet another election to win.

Edit: Also the Latham factor.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 19, 2018

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Love the extra emphasis on better pm.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/piecehere/status/1053083483457765376?s=21

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Somebody looked up knowledge on wikipedia and saw Plato's 'justified true belief' definition in the second paragraph.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
So, uh, apparently this is a thing

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

adamantium|wang posted:

So, uh, apparently this is a thing

I've seen this already, the best bit is when Tony and Riccardo strip down and fight.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lead by 6 white middle-aged guys

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Can you imagine the networking at this thing lmao

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Lock the doors and concrete the fuckers in.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

JBP posted:

Can you imagine the networking at this thing lmao

Gonna be a bunch of pale lil conservative virgin private school fucks.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Half of them former Army too, so they get just the right amount of white male authoritarianism

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Drink every time one of them wants to bring back national service

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

adamantium|wang posted:

Half of them former Army too, so they get just the right amount of white male authoritarianism

My favourite thing right now is that former army can't get jobs because no one wants to work with a killbot.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

And by favourite I mean worrying of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde