Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

14. The Invisible Man (1933)
Watched on Vimeo

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #2: Queer Horror :siren:

Man, after Der Student von Prag, the pacing of this movie feels like a runaway train. I had irrationally put this off for so long because the first Invisible Man-related movie I ever saw was somehow Hollow Man 2, so I'm glad a challenge got me to finally watch this. Rains' performance is great - for someone you don't even see until the very last second, he manages to be very expressive with only gestures and voice inflections, and he just exudes a weird mixture of menace and panache that has you sort of rooting for him even while he's derailing a train for fun. I didn't realize Karloff was originally supposed to be cast for this, and honestly I don't think he would have been nearly as effective, as much as I like him. The film doesn't invite as much of a queer reading as Bride of Frankenstein, but it's hard not to view lines where the Invisible Man is talking about how the whole world is his hiding place in the context of the director's life, and it's also interesting that the forces arranged against the Invisible Man are the same that typically oppress the marginalized - law enforcement and religious orthodoxy.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: .5 / 5

I thought the relationship between the Invisible Man and the other scientist read as pretty clearly gay. It's at least much more interesting than anything involving Flora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Several Goblins posted:

32. Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959) Rewatch

A classic of camp from Hollywood's most interesting failure, Ed Wood. I don't know what to say about it that hasn't been said a billion times over.

How the hell does one rate this?/5

Obviously you rate it 9 plans out of 5.

A conversation I had yesterday:

Other person: "Have you heard of this movie... Plan something from Outer Space?"

Me: "You mean Plan 9 From Outer Space?"

Other person: "Yeah, that's it. Have you ever seen it?"

Me: "Friends, we are all interested in the future for that is where you and I will be spending... the rest of our lives."

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Survivalist (2015) [Netflix Streaming]

Following a peak-oil-driven population collapse, a man lives alone in the woods on a small self-sufficient farm. When a woman and her daughter arrive he, and they, are forced into a series of life-or-death decisions in an extremely precarious world.

I enjoyed the hell out of this. This goes hard into a naturalistic presentation of barebones survival, and relies on extended sections without dialog or with only a few spoken words, communicating everything visually and through the intense performances of all three leads. Tense and fast-paced, I also appreciated that it pulled away from the nihilism that threatened to overwhelm it at times. A hell of a debut for a first-time writer/director.

New (21): #1 The Terror (2018), #6 Mandy (2018), #7 Dead Alive (1992), #8 Would You Rather (2012), #9 1922 (2017), #10 Infinity Chamber (2017), #11 Venom (2018), #12 Dagon (2001), #13 Demonic Toys (1992), #14 Murder Party (2007), #16 Godzilla (1954), #17 The Vault (2017), #18 Cargo (2017), #19 Berlin Syndrome (2017), #22 Dawn of the Dead (1978), #26 Seven in Heaven (2018), #27 Happy Death Day (2017), #28 Into the Forest (2015), #29 Hardware (1990), #30 Prodigy (2018), #31 The Survivalist (2015)
Rewatch (10): #2 The Cabin in the Woods (2011), #3 Gone Girl (2014), #4 Annihilation (2018), #5 Seven (1995), #15 A Quiet Place (2018), #20 Doom (2005), #21 Predator (1987), #23 Gremlins (1984), #24 The Andromeda Strain (1971), #25 Split (2016)
Fran Challenges (3/9): #7 [The World Is A Scary Place] Godzilla (1954), #3 [Hometown Horror] Dawn of the Dead (1978), #2 [Queer Horror] Into the Forest (2015)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

all this Halloween talk has me super psyched to see it. the intersection of JC with David Gordon Green feels like the universe made a movie just for me

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

FancyMike posted:

I thought the relationship between the Invisible Man and the other scientist read as pretty clearly gay. It's at least much more interesting than anything involving Flora.

It's a really interesting dynamic - it's pretty antagonistic, and the Invisible Man is obviously getting off on the power he has over him (his violent overtures have a weird sexual tinge to them throughout the whole movie, actually), and he even specifically taunts him with the fact that he's naked at least once. The fiancee definitely feels like a shoehorned studio romance that Whale had absolutely no interest in.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

152- Monster Dog 1984 - PRIME

For a while I wrote this one off as a clunker, but after seeing more of Claudio Fragasso's work, I've come to the opinion this is a standard film for him.

We have Vince Raven returning to his childhood home to shoot a music video. The area's a weird one with packs of roaming wild dogs, mobs of gunslingers and tales of werewolves. That alone's enough to connect the dots for the rest of the movie.

The big question is how the hell does Alice Cooper end up in a Claudio Fragasso film?

Turns out that Alice Cooper specifically picked this film for a few reasons. First being he'd just come out of rehab for alcoholism and he had serious doubts about being able to work sober. Second, he figured if he was going to do a movie, why not have it be the cheapest piece of horror schlock that'd be exactly the sort of thing he'd rent at the video store. With that reasoning, it makes sense.

I'd recommend this one on the merits of being so bad it's decent with a delightful dash of Alice Cooper hamming it up in music videos.

153- Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare 1987 - PRIME

This one's pure cheesy goodness featuring Jon Mikl Thor, bodybuilder turned Heavy Metal musician.

Short version is a metal band moves into an isolated farmhouse to work on their new album, of course there's more going on in the house than just the usual musician shenanigans.

Yeah, this one's hokey in parts but it does have heart. There is a sequel, Intercessor which I have yet to see.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

There is a sequel, Intercessor which I have yet to see.
Avoid this at all costs. It's a nanobudget fan film.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Honeymoon (2014) [Hulu]

This is sufficiently spot on:

Several Goblins posted:

A couple retreats to the wife's childhood family cabin for their honeymoon, far away from civilization. This idyllic getaway ends up being a bit more bizarre after the wife begins sleepwalking. This one lost me really hard for a while, as the first half hour or so is basically cringe-worthy dialogue that leads into sex, repeat, for an almost silly amount of times. Once it picks up, it gets a bit more insane and dips into some gross body-horror that really make up for the poorly written, saccharine early stages.

that I don't know what more to say. You start out wondering which is worse, the dialog or the actors' inability to believably deliver it, but by the end the intensity of the situation, the performances, and the direction right the film. I'd definitely be up for a sophomore film by this director, in the hopes that it might be a bit more consistent.

New (22): #1 The Terror (2018), #6 Mandy (2018), #7 Dead Alive (1992), #8 Would You Rather (2012), #9 1922 (2017), #10 Infinity Chamber (2017), #11 Venom (2018), #12 Dagon (2001), #13 Demonic Toys (1992), #14 Murder Party (2007), #16 Godzilla (1954), #17 The Vault (2017), #18 Cargo (2017), #19 Berlin Syndrome (2017), #22 Dawn of the Dead (1978), #26 Seven in Heaven (2018), #27 Happy Death Day (2017), #28 Into the Forest (2015), #29 Hardware (1990), #30 Prodigy (2018), #31 The Survivalist (2015), #32, Honeymoon (2014)
Rewatch (10): #2 The Cabin in the Woods (2011), #3 Gone Girl (2014), #4 Annihilation (2018), #5 Seven (1995), #15 A Quiet Place (2018), #20 Doom (2005), #21 Predator (1987), #23 Gremlins (1984), #24 The Andromeda Strain (1971), #25 Split (2016)
Fran Challenges (3/9): #7 [The World Is A Scary Place] Godzilla (1954), #3 [Hometown Horror] Dawn of the Dead (1978), #2 [Queer Horror] Into the Forest (2015)

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Sir Kodiak posted:

Honeymoon (2014) [Hulu]
that I don't know what more to say. You start out wondering which is worse, the dialog or the actors' inability to believably deliver it, but by the end the intensity of the situation, the performances, and the direction right the film. I'd definitely be up for a sophomore film by this director, in the hopes that it might be a bit more consistent.

I was so, so ready to hate it by the time I'd reached the half hour mark. The "Rest your womb" conversation might be the single dumbest dialogue I've heard in a long while.

"I don't know why I said womb. I was teasing about how hard I hosed you."

It's half an hour or so of the old, "Hang up," "No, you hang up!" thing that sickly sweet movie couples used to get made fun of for, but 10x worse. That being said, I can't recall a movie in a long while that swung it back around to being pretty interesting like that.

Random Stranger posted:

Obviously you rate it 9 plans out of 5.

You are absolutely correct and I've updated my review accordingly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Spatulater bro! posted:

28. Halloween (2018. David Gordon Green) Source: theater

This is like an '80s slasher that does everything right. [...] If this doesn't breathe new life into the sub-genre I don't know what will.

I'm not sure how a movie that looks like it was made 30 years ago could "breathe new life" into anything. It sounds more like you should be saying every innovation people have tried to make in slasher movies since the 80s has failed, and this is a return to classic formula.

Still, I haven't seen it yet and will judge it for myself when I do.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
14. Psycho (1960)

I was looking for something to watch and realized I've never seen Psycho from the beginning to end, either. I must've caught it on TV starting from around the first murder, because everything up to that point felt completely unfamiliar. It must've been absolutely terrifying compared to the schlocky monster movies at the time but it's still shockingly effective to this day.

Yesterday I didn't watch anything so I'm one more day behind :(

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

39. Chopping Mall (1986). Directed by Jim Wynorski.
Watched via Amazon Prime

One of the most vaporwave films ever made. It's firmly in the pantheon of "bad, but also good" horror, the kind of dumb scrappy horror movie I can really appreciate. It ends up accidentally being a proto-RoboCop commentary on technocapitalist excess and the police state. Features a lot of horror royalty for some reason, including Dick Miller and Barbara Crampton. The soundtrack actually rips? Jim Wynorski putting up posters for his own movies as set decoration in the mall is probably the ultimate exploitation film power move.

Remake this, but set it in a dead mall.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Fran Challenge #7: The World Is A Scary Place

#18- Ugetsu

Well, it's sort of a horror film. It's absolutely a ghost story, but the primary emphasis is on a group of peasants trying to hide from soldiers while wars rage across Japan. One of them, a potter, is selling his wares in town when a mysterious noble woman puts in an order for pretty much all of his stock, payment to be made on delivery to her manor. Needless to say, something is not right.

There's definitely a supernatural atmosphere, and some spooky moments, but it's most explicitly a movie about the scars and trauma of war. (Incidentally this was made in Japan in 1953. Worth mentioning.) People get greedy and ruthless and neglect their home- it's quite gendered for the most part, the men go off on a tear and the women suffer for it. Quite solemn and effective, particularly in its coda. While I'm only 80% sure this even fits the October Challenge, it was nice to take a break from the traditional mayhem for something more contemplative.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Maxwell Lord posted:

#18- Ugetsu

Well, it's sort of a horror film. It's absolutely a ghost story, but the primary emphasis is on a group of peasants trying to hide from soldiers while wars rage across Japan. One of them, a potter, is selling his wares in town when a mysterious noble woman puts in an order for pretty much all of his stock, payment to be made on delivery to her manor. Needless to say, something is not right.

There's definitely a supernatural atmosphere, and some spooky moments, but it's most explicitly a movie about the scars and trauma of war. (Incidentally this was made in Japan in 1953. Worth mentioning.) People get greedy and ruthless and neglect their home- it's quite gendered for the most part, the men go off on a tear and the women suffer for it. Quite solemn and effective, particularly in its coda. While I'm only 80% sure this even fits the October Challenge, it was nice to take a break from the traditional mayhem for something more contemplative.

If folks (myself included, so no judgment) are counting Venom towards their challenge, I'm sure Ugetsu qualifies.

I actually got to see a restored print of Ugetsu in January at one of the Smithsonian museums (I think it was at Freer-Sackler?) and it was incredible. One of the things that actually made me feel alright with living in DC.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 19, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, so after I discovered Don’t Look In The Basement on my shelf despite me never having heard of the movie and not being sure how it got there I decided to collect all the mystery dvds. These are all movies that I know absolutely nothing about it but must have picked up for a couple of bucks in a bargain bin and they’ve been collecting dust. But if they fill a year a need then its a good time to finally watch them, eh?

25 (27). The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane (1976)
DVD

13 year old Rynn (Jodie Foster) appears to live alone with a father who is mysteriously always away, but when her pushy landlord and her pervy son (Martin Sheen) start pushing their way into her life things get complicated and Rynn recruits a new friend to help her keep her secrets and way of live at any cost.

I’m not 100% comfortable calling this a horror film, but it did win the Best Horror Saturn Award for that year. There’s a whole paragraph in the Wiki entry about the debate over what genre this film belongs to. The director Nicolas Gessner didn’t feel it was a horror but rather a “teenage love story”, however if that was his intent I think he largely failed. Its not that there isn’t a teenage love story in there, but its not the most compelling or convincing part of the film by any reach and I’m not sure the movie is even structured in a way where it would be. Others agree that its at least got elements of psychological horror in it even if it crosses genres. And that movie art certainly makes it look like the studio thought they were marketing a horror film.

On the other hand maybe the biggest thing working against it being a horror is, I think, the soundtrack. You know that 70s soundtrack you hear a lot? The organs and the dun dun dun? The thing that makes everything sound like an episode of CHiPs? Well now imagine some kids burying a body to it. Its weird. I guess it fits a “teenage love story” more but that doesn’t feel right either. I’m not one who usually focuses on soundtracks but I think its one of those “when its done right you don’t notice it, and when its done wrong you do” things for me. And I super, super noticed it here and don’t think it fit any interpretation of the film. It made everything feel like an oddly casual affair.

Anyway, Martin Sheen plays a pretty horrific character and there’s plenty of tension so I’m going with it. Sheens’ character is really very understatedly menacing and the true villain of the story. Sheen is gross and terrible and great in the role. Foster is of course great as well and that way she was such a gifted child actress and seemed so beyond her years really carries a film that is all about a girl beyond her years fighting for her right to make decisions for herself. That theme of “a child’s right” is another hotel debated subject about this film, apparently, but I don’t really think the movie does much on it. There’s like one speech she delivers and otherwise its basically just that Rynn is clearly capable of living by herself, but its not clear that the situation she’s in is an argument for whether its the right idea or if she’s making the right calls.

The last hotly debated subject is the sexuality of her character, and its something I was nervous about going in. But honestly, I don’t think its really there. Rynn isn’t a Lolita or a seductress. She’s not playing the same character she plays in Taxi Driver. Sheen’s advances are disturbing but are clearly framed as such and she never encourages or reciprocates them. And the teenage romance feels largely like a teenage romance… as much as it can in a murder coverup. There is a scene where Foster gets nude (or apparently it was a body double) and it felt maybe a tad unnecessary, but it didn’t feel gratuitous (its not at all full frontal) and its intent seemed more to present the casual “adult” nature of the teenage romance. Which I think Rynn actually kind of accepts isn’t quite as adult or fully formed as she thought in the later twist.

Anyway, its a very good film with a loaded cast putting on good performances. Its an ok horror film. It would be better with a better soundtrack, and probably a director who wanted to make a psychological horror instead of an awkward teenage romance. The next serious American movie Gessner made was a 1989 murder thriller called Tennessee Nights and starring Stacey Dash. And that’s not a good sign at all.

Also Foster’s slightly more age appropriate love interest is played by Scott Jacoby (who would have been 20 so icky but they didn’t really do anything, but is presented as an ambiguously aged high school student). I could have sworn I recognized him and was shocked by his age but it turns out he’s not the dude I know from a bunch of stuff I watched when I was growing up like Parker Lewis Can’t Lose, that’s his brother Billy. Also apparently their brother Bobby was Melvin in Tremors. Yet none of them were apparently Crutchey in Newsies which I could swore he was while watching the film. Go figure.

I was going to watch Dracula: Prince of Darkness next but apparently that’s the 3rd in a line of Hammer Dracula films. I’m gonna try and get my hands on some so I can dip into Hammer a little. It seems a shame to do 60s and 70s and not touch on them but I don’t see a ton available. I’ll look. Instead I guess I’ll hit a familiar territory… But first a quick recap of how I feel from last year.

[quote="“STAC Goat“" post="“477360810”"]Yeah, I think that's my problem. With Freddy and Chucky they're such characters that even if you can't connect with the humans you can just kind of enjoy what they're doing. With Michael he's a silent slasher but there's full characters and even beyond Laurie and Loomis there's Jamie. It doesn't always work but they're trying. My impression with Jason, and my experience thus far, is its just random people he's killing. So if you're not connecting wth them and he's not being "fun" with his killing then it starts to feel like i'm just watching some dude slash up people. And I don't get anything from that and I start to feel weird the more I think about.

I don't think I get Jason. But I also don't know that I've met Jason 2 movies in so I'm going to soldier on. If nothing else the movies have been brisk and haven't felt like chores. And its always felt like an embarrassment to be a horror fan and know I have this giant blind spot.[/quote]

Ok, so that’s where I stand with Jason. I watched the first two films last year and intended to keep going but didn’t, because I just found something I wanted to watch more. I was going to revisit for the “Love Something You Hate” challenge but didn’t because ultimately I wanted to watch Green Inferno less making it feel more appropriate for the challenge. I at that time decided I was going to be cute and revisit on Friday the 12th/Saturday the 13th but I didn’t because again, there was just something else I wanted to watch more. But now I was going over years I need to fill and it turns out the Friday the 13th series could fill 2 slots for me. So hey… lets give Jason another go.

Besides, the movie art goes oddly well with Jodie Foster’s.

26 (28). Friday the 13th Part III (1982)
That recently released Friday the 13th bluray box set that a well meaning loved one gifted me since last year.

Jason’s back (in 3D!) and he’s got a hockey mask and a machete. Well he doesn’t use the machete much, but he’s got one. And a hockey mask! So it finally feels like “Jason”. Oh yeah, there’s oversexed kids he’s gonna kill by Crystal Lake. Duh.

I did not watch this in 3D, although the BluRay did have the option.

I still don’t get Jason. Last year people told me that he’s like Jaws and you’re watching to seem kill stuff. I’ve now seen Jaws and I reject that theory. Jaws isn’t about watching the shark kill people, its about 3 really awesome protagonists hunting (and being hunted) by the shark. And that’s what Jason is missing. Interesting, compelling, likable, or just memorable characters to be protaganists against him. Jason is an antagonist without a foil. Every movie there’s just a new final girl with a thrown together backstory and a group of friends who are gonna die who won’t be back.

Chris is a lame final girl. Its not her fault. She didn’t do anything wrong. But she’s not even really the focus of the non Jason movie. Shelly and Vera actually seem to get more time on camera and they’re just cannon fodder. Hell, a huge portion of the story is spent just developing a subplot with them that exists solely to produce more cannon fodder. Chris is off telling her boyfriend her out of nowhere back history with Jason that doesn’t really mean anything (and didn’t even get finished) while Shelly and Vera are getting a little character development in time to get killed.

So much energy is spent in these movies just giving an excuse to introduce more people for Jason to kill and doing fake outs that aren’t Jason so you can delay time until Jason does slash someone. Jason’s got no personality or style or character so he’s all business. He just kills what he meets with the closest thing. And hey, I kind of appreciate that. But instead of spending time on stories or character development or even just dumb jokes or whatever its just filling time with bodies and fakeouts.

And what was with the random Looney Tunes death? That seemed tonally different.

All that being said, once again I didn’t exactly hate the movie. It was, once again, brisk enough and didn’t feel like a chore. I guess this is part of why the franchise has produced so many sequels. There’s something about the format that just works with minimal effort and all you have to do is keep adding bodies to keep it going. I expect Part 4 will have like 30 kills. And yeah, as of right now I’m gonna watch Part 4 to get to Part 5 since I need that year. But I have other options so we’ll see how it goes.

That’s 17 years so as long as I get in 2 each day this weekend I should get myself well ahead. Thats the goal.

September Tally - New (Total)
1. A Cure For Wellness (2016) / - (2). Slither (2006) / 2 (3). Castle Rock (2018) / - (4). The Forsaken (2001) / 3 (5). The Night Eats the World (2018) / 4 (6). The Girl With All The Gifts (2016) / 5 (7). The Voices (2014) / 6 (8). Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010) / 7 (9). Jug Face (2013) / 8 (10). Coherence (2013) / 9 (11). A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014) / - (12). Vampire in Brooklyn (1995) / 10 (13). Excision (2012) / 11 (14). Spring (2014)

October Tally - New (Total)
1. Suspiria (1977) / 2. It (2017) / 3. The Beyond (1981) / 4. Trilogy of Terror (1979) / 5. House on Haunted Hill (1959) / 6. Demons (1985) / Fran’s Challenge #1: 7. The Green Inferno (2013) / 8. Martin (1978) / 9. Malevolent (2018) / - (10). Dead and Breakfast (2004) / 10 (11). Night of the Comet (1984) / 11 (12). Jaws (1975) / 12 (13). Black Swan (2010) / Fran’s Challenge #2: 13 (14). Happy Death Day (2017) / - (15). Hell House, LLC (2015) / Fran’s Challenge #3: 14 (16). Hell House, LLC 2: The Abaddon Hotel (2018) / 15 (17). Carnival of Souls (1962) / 16 (18). The Last House on the Left (1972) / 17 (19). The Haunting of Hill House (2018) / Fran’s Challenge #4: 18 (20). My Soul To Take (2010) / Fran’s Challenge #5: 19 (21). Motel Hell (1980) / 20 (22). The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) / Fran’s Challenge #6: 21 (23). Don’t Look In The Basement (1973) / 22 (24). All Cheerleaders Die (2013) / 23 (25). Sleepaway Camp (1983) / 24 (26). The House That Dripped Blood (1971) / 25 (27). The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane (1976) / 26 (28). Friday the 13th Part III (1982)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"We accidentally summoned demons who used to rule the universe to come and take over the world."
"Yeah, we found out about it from one of Terry's albums."

The Gate (1987)

The Gate treats the 80's Satanic panic with the seriousness it deserves--a rather toothless cash-in on other 80's movie fads, namely child adventurers, bizarrely adorable monsters, and copious cheese. We're gonna need more cheese to finish out this picture! The dark power of eldritch demons that predate even the Bible can make a hole to Hell in your backyard, and allow you to do powerful dark magic, like... Wait for it... Levitate people! Also, be warned that amateur geology is the province of the dark gods.

Generally just not risque enough to be anything other than an also-ran in its genre. Most of these types of films weren't afraid to disgust you or scare small children. This one has a plot that centers around playing the music of a Satanic band to both summon and (when played backwards) unsummon demons. The plot awkwardly starts and stops--what at first feels like a movie that wants to get right down to business turns into mostly pretty lame banter between child actors. The movie honestly needed more pint-sized demon babies and a lot less cliches.

Stars a very young Stephen Dorff in his fourth role and first movie.

:spooky:

Halloween (2018)

"I need to protect my family. You have no security system, Karen.
Mom, you need help!
Evil is real."

Michael Myers is still the extra-nihilistic version of Jason, who indulges only in the blackest humor. He's just not a people person. Largely a remix of the first Halloween, but still competently made and more woman-positive by a long shot. Judy Greer's 400th role playing an emotionally unavailable, disaffected mom, which luckily they do something about here.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:

31 (2016)
"Doom-Head has never failed us. He will deliver as expected."

Stop me if you heard this one before: Rob Zombie makes a grindhouse movie about a bunch of sadists, starring his wife and featuring a lot of inane, "shocking" dialogue.

Really only gets close to being watchable when Richard Brake is on-screen. He's also the most interesting thing even on the poster. Other than that, no one really needed Running Man but extra tasteless.

:spooky:

Name Change fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 20, 2018

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
:skeltal:The List:skeltal:
1. Welcome to Willits (Fran Challenge 1: Love Something You Hate)
2. Multiple Maniacs (Fran Challenge 2: Queer Horror)
3. The Phantom of the Opera 1925 Featuring commentary by Andrew Lloyd Webber (as portrayed by Paul F. Tompkins)
4. Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II (Fran Challenge 3: Hometown Horror)
5. Dawn of the Dead (2004) (Fran Challenge 4: Best of the Worst)
6. Creep 2
7. I am the Pretty Thing That Lives In The House
8. Silent Hill
9. The Undertaker and his Pals
10. Re-Animator
11. Hell House LLC
12. The Purge (2013)
13. Interview With The Vampire (1994)
(Fran Challenge 5: Birth of Horror)
14. He Never Died

(Don't know why it's square, but I can't really be bothered to fix it)

So, this is a solid Middle Of The Road. It's a Tarentino-esq wannabe that elevates itself through a simmering supernatural absurdity. It's not great, but it's got buckets full of watchability. For the most part, it's exclusively because of Henry Rollins. And Henry Rollins is pretty loving good at playing a total weirdo hardass. Like a John Wick type, he's completely loving done with this poo poo and is only doing it out of absolute necessity. But unlike John Wick, he doesn't even give the pretense of professionalism. A conversation with his ex-wife has him delivering the line 'I Hate You' about a dozen times. It's not even something he feels, it's a universal fact that he's uncertain that she is aware of. That maybe through repetition she'll understand and never ever bother him again. Plus, he'll drop these odd ticks or lines that suggest a lot of history in Rollins character. You can feel that a lot more attention was put into his character, his history and his place in the world, compared to almost all other aspects of the film. But I'd less say that's a flaw, and more the filmmakers really leaning into the film's strength.

It's not a horror film, but it's sensibilities is horror adjacent. Like the venn diagram between 'People who like Dawn of the Dead (either version)' and 'People who like this movie' has a decent overlap, if not the latter being subsumed by the former. Also it features Steven Ogg, a.k.a. Trevor from GTAV/The Locksmith from Broad City, in the second most entertaining role in the movie.

15. Leatherface

Honestly, I think Texas Chainsaw 3D might have been the worst film I have ever seen. It set a bar so low, it was practically just a pole laying on the ground. So congratulations Leatherface, you cleared that bar and then some. At the very least, this film has vision some sort of vision and the talent behind the camera to see it through. Which, for some reason, is a lot more than most of the TCM films can say for themselves. That said, it doesn't feel like it's trying to adapt the original film's style or tone. The cinematography is almost too artistic and cinematic compared to it's predecessor. If anything, it feels like it's trying to adapt the film's reputation, the film that America thinks it is. A brutal, gory film, featuring horrific, random violence against innocent people. And the people behind Leatherface are trying to outdo it in a very Extreme fashion (and they should, considering they directed the original Inside), with frequent gruesome trauma and consciously dark amorality. It does what it sets out to do, and I can't really imagine them doing it any other way.

I respect this film on those merits. However, I can't really say that I'm a huge fan of it. It's fine, and I don't regret seeing it. All things considered, I could argue this is the second best film in the series. I just don't think it has that spark that rises it above just being fine. It doesn't have that Henry Rollins factor that sucks in the audience to make it truly enjoyable. It's all workman like, and sometimes that's fine. But in the end I just wished that it had that something else for me to hold on to.

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 20, 2018

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

154- Zombie Nightmare 1986 - PRIME

Yeah, might as well admit I do have a soft spot for Jon Mikl Thor. Had his Keep the Dogs Away and Only the Strong albums.

In this one, he plays Tony, a good kid who's raised by his widowed mother after his father was murdered stopping a rape from happening. History repeats as Tony's killed after stopping a robbery. His mother brings his body to Molly Mkembe, the local voodoo priestess who happens to be the woman Tony's dad saved years ago to see if she can bring him back to life. Molly's unable to do that but she can bring him back enough to get revenge.

This is another pure cheesy goodness film. It's got Adam West in it and opens with a Motorhead song.

It's worth a watch if you go in not taking it seriously.

155- Spookies 1987 - YOUTUBE

If I didn't review the one I suggested for staff picks, I'd be embarrassed.

Definitely one of my favorites. After all, how often do you come across a movie that follows through on it's coverbox promise? Really, everything on that coverbox you will see in this movie.

I first saw this one on Saturday Nightmares and it was love at first watch. Here, we have a creepy mansion with a warlock working with his son to resurrect his wife and son's mother. They need souls to pull this off and despite how remote the mansion seems, they get enough trespassers on the property to be getting near pulling this off. First victims we see are a runaway boy and a drifter who are dispatched by a hook handed werecat. The next batch of victims are a couple carloads of partiers. Here's where the film shines with rooms of monsters like a lethal haunted house at Halloween.

Earlier in the thread someone posted a link to the story behind the making of this movie. In short, it was originally Twisted Souls which was the footage of the partiers in the mansion with the monsters. There was a legal bickermatch between the producers and financial backer which stopped the post production work and the financial backer hired another guy to shoot more footage which was the warlock's story, werecat, cave witches and first victims' footage.

While I do think the film works fine as it is, I do kinda wish I could see what was originally planned with Twisted Souls.

I highly recommend this one for a beer with friends style movie night.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

After all, how often do you come across a movie that follows through on it's coverbox promise?

I really wish instead of remaking movies, Hollywood would just adapt great movie posters.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Godzilla Planet of Monsters

Goddamn, that is grim. Mankind finally meets aliens, but it's just as the earth is being destroyed, and both alien species are also refugees from their planets being destroyed, so we all join up in a big spaceship in a doomed attempt to find a new home. Living on a spaceship is pure misery. When they give up on that and return to earth, it turns out Godzilla has remade the planet in his image and the air, water, and plants are all poisonous to humans.

The message repeated very frequently through the movie is that any death that happens as part of some kind of attempt to find a better life, even if it's completely pointless and the better life was impossible, is superior to being alive.

The movie is done by the people who did the Blame! and Knights of Sidonia adaptations, and they really brought their expertise on creating bleak nightmare worlds. The spaceship is white and grey, no color, completely miserable. The Godzilla forest is dark blueish green, strange and threatening and miserable. The colors that exist beyond that are very limited, and linked to specific things. I was kinda iffy at first, a visual style created for Nihei adaptations being used for Godzilla? But it works really well for this Godzilla, you are constantly visually told that the world is not fit for human life.

And this ain't America Godzilla who is basically on our side, this is nightmare apocalypse Godzilla. Nobody's saying "let them fight", everyone's saying "gently caress Godzilla"

I am kinda biased here because this is the kind of sci-fi I like; lots of planning and talking. Lots of scenes of people having meetings where they decide on a course of action and then execute it but then something different happens so they have to change the plan on the fly. Maybe it's because I watched too much Star Trek as a kid, but I am all about sci-fi with lots of meetings.

I'm also a big fan of the message that actually long-term space travel is a nightmare and if your plan is to escape the problems of earth by going into space, you might as well just blow your brains out right now instead.

Godzilla Planet of the Monsters is a unique and interesting Si-fi Godzilla move, definitely worth a watch for any Godzilla or sci-fi fan

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

I really wish instead of remaking movies, Hollywood would just adapt great movie posters.

Considering how I've been handling the October Ironman, it's been very interesting looking at how movie poster design's progressed over the years. When I hit the 90s, it's going to be boring face closeups.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #7: The World Is A Scary Place

:ghost: Watch a horror film made outside of the USA & Canada. If you live outside of the USA & Canada, you cannot choose a film made in your home country.

going with... Sweden!

27. The Phantom Carriage (Körkarlen) (1921)
(blu-ray)

Legend has it that on New Year's Eve, the last person to die is fated to become Death's driver for the coming year, fetching the souls of the dead in a ghostly carriage. David Holm is the last to die on this particular year, and the current driver forces him to reflect on his wicked and sinful life. Sort of like It's a Wonderful Life only the main character is a terrible person, and also already dead.

This is a really fantastic film. It's not very heavy on the horror elements - aside from the concept and some neat scenes of the carriage, it's mostly a drama about regret, shame, death, and redemption. David is a well developed character who feels real and even sympathetic despite his significant faults, and is both the hero and villain of the story. Ingmar Bergman considered this one of the best films ever made, and its influence on his work is very clear in many ways that I won't get into because this thread is not the place for it.

I thought this was wonderful and a nice palate cleanser from some of the trashy stuff I have watched (and will continue to watch). If you like silent films and/or Bergman, you should absolutely see this.

28. Halloween (1978)
(blu-ray)

I mean, not much I can say about this that hasn't already been said to death. It rules. I love how simple Michael is here - he's evil and more of a force of nature than a person, and that's it. He goes after Laurie just because he saw her. Of course the sequels ruin that, but they can and should mostly be ignored. I will be seeing the new one tonight and am really looking forward to it.

29. Halloween II (1981)
(blu-ray)

This sequel picks up immediately where the first film left off. Michael Myers disappears after being shot by Loomis, so the doctor and the police continue to search for him. Laurie is brought to the hospital to recover, where a whole new batch of vict... er, characters are introduced. Of course, Michael follows her there and does his thing.

This one is okay. It's not nearly as good as the first film, but also not nearly as bad as the later sequels. Having watched it back to back with the original, the most immediately noticeable thing is that the cinematography is way worse. Everything just looks so boring and flat. Worst of all, the plot adds some dumb and unnecessary twists, like that Laurie is actually Michael's sister, and also some dumb crap about druids or something.

It's not all bad, though. The music, still by Carpenter, is great. Donald Pleasence is still kind of awesome and ridiculous, and he is given much more to do this time around. Also... um... okay, that's about it. The budget was almost ten times higher than the first, so at least they were able to hire a better supporting cast, but the dialogue is not nearly as good (and excellent dialogue wasn't really a strength of the original) so overall it isn't too much of an improvement. The rest is sort of mediocre. Michael is much more brutal here, but also much less believable. The scares are pretty predictable, either clichés like the old "cat jumping out of nowhere" or just rehashes of moments from the first film.

This isn't an awful film - it's comfortably mediocre and coasts long enough on the strength of the original for it to still be entertaining. Not worth seeking out though.

Movies Seen: The Witching Season | Lifeforce | Terrifier | Unsane | I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House | From Beyond | 13 Ghosts | The Ritual | Child's Play | Twice-Told Tales | Beyond the Gates | Cat People (1982) | Fright Night | The Vampire Lovers | The Vampire Doll | Frightmare | Honeybee | Murder Party | Child's Play 2 | The Beyond | The Night of a Thousand Cats | Mandy | My Soul to Take | Apostle | Near Dark | Child's Play 3 | The Phantom Carriage | Halloween (1978) | Halloween II (1981)
Total: 29
Fran challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Jedit posted:

I'm not sure how a movie that looks like it was made 30 years ago could "breathe new life" into anything. It sounds more like you should be saying every innovation people have tried to make in slasher movies since the 80s has failed, and this is a return to classic formula.

Still, I haven't seen it yet and will judge it for myself when I do.

What I mean is it's surely going to reinvigorate the genre and people's interest in it. It "breathes new life" by showing that slashers can still be exciting and great without resorting to meta crap.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #9: Stranger Danger

Tossed a couple movie pack jackets at a buddy to pick me a film. Same guy that introduced me to Attack of the Ledergosen Zombies. He has a thing for people wrestling foam rubber monsters, miniatures, plates, and painted mattes. He listed two films that caught his eye.

"So which? Bat flapping on a string or shrews tearing people up?"

"Yes."

Not worth a screenshot so let's pretend Cassandra Peterson is cracking a joke about it, instead.

33. The Killer Shrews (1959) - DVD

Not even dogs in shoddy costumes, one neat head puppet, and some projector screen filmed as a background could save this. Plot too stupid/lazy for even a low budget giant creature romp. A Dixieland musician killed before any could even be played. An escape that makes the A Team seem grounded in reality. This is garbage.

Sure, it had its moments from a dying autist using his last moments to type symptoms as they presented to characters setting up a properly scheduled watch but they weren't worth the ride. :smithcloud:

Hell yeah!

34. The Devil Bat (1940) - DVD

This is more like it! Mad doctor cooks up a beast in his secret-passage-laden laboratory with knife switches activating machines that spark for the sake of sparking, a protagonist that casually carries a pocket pistol because of course he does, actors wrestle a rubber prop thrown at them from off screen, and a plot one can ignore to just watch the endearing retardation while doing other stuff like prep a crock pot, tidy the living room, or wrestle the dog. Where hot mulled whatever is the comfort drink of the season, this is the formula for a comfort film.

Tally: N/A Psycho (1960)*, 1. Halloween (1978), 2. Halloween II (1981), 3. Carnival of Souls (1962), 4. The Blob (1988), 5. I Bury the Living (1958), 6. Dead Men Walk (1943), 7. Nosferatu (1922), 8. Les Revenants (2002), 9. The Mummy's Hand (1940), 10. House on Haunted Hill (1959)*, 11. Lifeforce (1985), 12. The Gorilla (1939), 13. The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960), 14. November (2017), 15. Doghouse (2009), 16 Sssssss (1973), 17. Maniac (1934), 18. Thirst (2009), 19. Horror Hotel (1960), 20. Event Horizon (1997)*, 21. In the Mouth of Madness (1994), 22. Frankenstein (1931)*, 23. Monster from a Prehistoric Planet (1967), 24. The Bride of Frankenstein (1935), 25. The Funhouse (1981), 26. Beetlejuice (1988), 27. Fright Night (1985), 28. Son of Frankenstein (1939), 29. The Terror, 30. A Cure for Wellness (2016), 31. Blood Diner (1987), 32. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), 33. The Killer Shrews (1959), 34. The Devil Bat (1940)

Years Spanned: 95 (1922-2017)

Tally by Decade: '20s (I), '30s (V), '40s (III), '50s (III), '60s (VI), '70s (III), '80s (VII), '90s (II), 2000s (III), 2010s (II)

B&W/Color: 16/19

Rewatch/Total Counted: 3/34

Fran Challenges Complete: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

* Rewatch

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
30) Hellraiser

What can I say? I've seen this many times, and it's just such a flawlessly executed film. JESUS WEPT.

31) The Sixth Sense

Definitely doesn't age well, but it was interesting watching it knowing the twist. I mean, the twist is basically pop culture by this point so I don't think that's unfair to say. I only saw it once when it came out and not since. Did y'all know there was a series of books based on it?

:siren: I hit 31 yay :siren:

Watched (31): Puppet Master 4, Puppet Master 5, Terrifier, Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires, Martyrs (2008), Mandy, Babadook, Ghost Stories, Behind the Mask: the Rise of Leslie Vernon, Curse of the Puppet Master, Devil's Candy, Curse of Frankenstein, Mummy, Shining, Horror of Dracula, Quatermass Xperiment, Plague of the Zombies, Revenge of Frankenstein, I Am The Pretty Thing..., Nail Gun Massacre, Tucker and Dale, Coraline, Children of the Corn, Brides of Dracula, Curse of the Werewolf, Splinter, Evil of Frankenstein, Pumpkinhead 2, Apostle, Hellraiser, Sixth Sense

Challenges completed: #1 (Babadook), #7 (The Brides of Dracula)

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
25. Pee Mak (2013)
(Netflix)

Fran Challenge: Stranger Danger
One of my work colleagues recommended this to me a while ago, but I always procrastinate on foreign films because subtitles demand my full attention. All this really means is that I'm probably not paying enough attention to English language films, but, what can you do.
Pee Mak is a Thai horror comedy romance, in that order.
The beginning is mostly horror, the middle is mostly comedy, and the end is all cheesy romance. It's based on a very, very famous Thai legend that has spawned almost 20 movies and an opera and some TV shows.
Wikipedia has a pretty good summary of the legend, but basically, a man, Mak, goes off to war and leaves his very pregnant wife Nak behind. Nak dies in childbirth, but when Mak returns he finds his wife and son waiting for him. The townspeople who try to warn him about her being a ghost all die. Eventually he figures it out and runs away, and she haunts the town in anger.
This is a comical take on that tragic story, but it still has some pretty tense scenes. The movie did a good job of playing around with that well-known tale, and teasing at possible fun and good twists before ending in pure cheesy romance. I'm sure there's a lot of Thai humor that goes over my head, and quite a bit of it went under my head (frequently too broad), but it was funnier than I expected.
:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

26. Sleepaway Camp III (1989)

Much like other beloved franchises, the two sequels to Sleepaway Camp were filmed back to back, and released a year apart, audience demand being too high to risk waiting on the third film, no doubt.
III is II again but faster, with very little time wasted on establishing characters other than stereotypes featuring lots of "fun" slurs. The one note of continuity is Officer Barney, the cop dad of Sean, a victim in the second film. And, of course, Angela. God she loves herself some wholesome camping. In the second movie it seemed like she had some moral code, but here she's mainly just killing to kill.
A lot of the general goofiness of the second one was lost here. II had a fair number of scenes where someone would confess to a camp sin in front of Angela and she would give a weary look like 'ugh please don't say that in front of me now I have to kill you'.
It's an entertaining enough watch, but the campers are one note stereotypes and I can't particularly recommend a movie with a rich white girl complaining about n-words.
:spooky:/5

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #9: Stranger Danger

:ghost: Ask an offline/non-Goon* friend/family member/person to recommend you a horror movie to watch.

33. Blood Rage (1987) aka Nightmare at Shadow Woods, aka Slasher, working title Complex. On Prime.

My most horror-fan friend suggested this to me back before the challenge even started so I figure this is as good a time as any to watch it. Actually I guess Thanksgiving would be a better time, because this is a thanksgiving movie. The film is very proud of the fact that the blood is in fact, “not cranberry sauce.” The plot is a hodgepodge of other, more famous, slashers and there’s nothing that’s going to surprise a seasoned horror fan. Typical of the late 80s slasher boom I guess. It is schlockily funny in an John Waters kinda way and theres some fun practical effects. Actually, the gore is what really elevates this movie from dull schlock to fun schlock. Also, there’s a Ted Raimi cameo.

3.5/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House | 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night | 13. Tales from the Crypt | 14. Carnival of Souls | 15. The Fly II | 16. Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker | 17. Resolution | 18. The Endless | 19. Spontaneous Combustion | 20. Hardware | 21. The Haunting of Molly Hartley | 22. Hold the Dark | 23. Truth or Dare | 24. Trick or Treats | 25. The ‘Burbs | 26. Dead and Buried | 27. Digging up the Marrow | 28. Frankenstein Conquers the World | 29. The War of the Gargantuas | 30. Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil | 31. Apostle | 32. Maximum Overdrive | 33. Blood Rage

Fran Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

edit: I somehow forgot to count The Burbs in my tally so I’m actually at 33 :toot:

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 19, 2018

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

30- Errementari: The Devil and the Blacksmith

A nice looking Spanish film that just popped up on Netflix. Its a bit of a fable about a blacksmith who's an outcast in his town, and who's hiding quite a secret.
Had a very Del Toro feel to it. It's a very nice looking film with a couple of cool sequences, but not much really happens and it drags a bit.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The Void(2016)

I watched this in 2016 and was underwhelmed by it, but I enjoyed it a lot more this time around. It's still no masterpiece, but there's a lot here to like if you're at all into good monster effects and cosmic horror. One thing that I think helped on rewatch is that the plot felt a lot less incoherent. This time around I was able to put 2 and 2 together and understand that whatever the doctor made contact with(The Void, Yog-Sothoth, whatever) kinda seeds itself in somebody and then when they actually die that's when the monsters bust out. That whole thing felt more haphazard to me at first but on rewatch I realized they're actually pretty consistent with it.

I think it also helped that since 2016 I bought a t.v. that's like 30% bigger than what I had before. Because this is a very dark film, and you can lose a lot of the little glimpses that you get of the monsters if you're not watching it under the right conditions. Definitely watch the movie in a dark room so that there's no glare on the screen.

Lords of Salem(2012)

There's a LOT going on in this film, especially when you consider how much of it takes place in one small building. Personally I think this is Zombie's best film to date, although Halloween II is a close second. Lords of Salem actually has some themes in common with Halloween II, they both explore the ripple effect that trauma causes in a community and the extreme difficulty there can be in separating yourself from the past. Sherri Moon Zombie gives what I think is a award-worthy performance, as does Jeff Daniel Phillips. They're relationship is the core of the movie and it's a very genuine one, it feels very real. And that's I think what makes it so heartbreaking, Whitey so badly wants to help his friend(and by implication the woman he's in love with) and as hard as he tries he just can't break through. And he knows it, he sees her slipping away and has to watch it all happen without being able to do anything about it. That for me is the true horror this film, and also something that makes it a very interesting examination of addiction and the effect it has on relationships.

Lords of Salem is also a beautiful film, outside of a handful of shots where Zombie decided to go heavy on lens flare for some reason. But this is one of those movies where the setting itself is a character, it's one of the more memorable horror settings I've seen. Up there with The Shining and Suspiria in my opinion.

I understand that not everyone will agree with the praise I heap on this film every year, but I do hope that people who aren't crazy about The Devil's Rejects or Zombie's Halloween will at least give this one a chance.

Total: 1. Frankenstein(1931) 2. The Old Dark House(1932) 3. The Bride of Frankenstein(1935) 4. The Mummy(1932) 5. The Invisible Man(1933) 6. The Wolfman(1941) 7. House of Frankenstein(1944) 8. House of Dracula(1945) 9. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein(1948) 10. The Boogeyman Will Get You(1942) 11. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms(1953) 12.Gojira(1954) 13. Creature From the Black Lagoon(1954) 14. The Night of the Hunter(1955) 15. The Curse of Frankenstein(1957) 16. Brides of Dracula(1960) 17. The Tomb of Ligeia(1964) 18. Blood and Black Lace(1964) 19. Frankenstein Created Woman(1967) 20. Quatermass and the Pit(1967) 21. Don't Look Now(1973)22. Dracula A.D. 1972 23. Phantom of the Paradise(1974) 24. The Wicker Man(1973) 25. Nosferatu The Vampyre(1979) 26. The Fog(1980) 27. An American Werewolf in London(1981) 28. Prince of Darkness(1987) 29. A Nightmare on Elm Street(1984) 30. C.H.U.D.(1984) 31. Candyman(1992) 32. Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh(1995) 33. Mimic(1997) 34. Scream(1996) 35. Audition(1999) 36. Cursed(2005) 37. Saw(2004) 38. Drag Me To Hell(2009) 39. Slither(2006) 40. Freddy vs. Jason(2003) 41. The First Purge(2018) 42. The Void(2016) 43. Lords of Salem(2012)

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Guy Goodbody posted:

Godzilla Planet of Monsters

Well now I want to watch this. All I had heard about the anime previously was "it's so boring" *whine* *cry*

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #10: Fear and Now

:ghost: Watch a horror movie released in 2018.

Franchescanado posted:

So to clarify for the challenge:

The film must have been made widely available by distribution in 2018 to qualify, whether that was in a theater run (even limited release), streaming, VOD or for purchase. It's totally okay if it played in a few festivals before 2018 as long as it found distribution in 2018.

Letterboxd is especially weird about this, because it lists the year the film premieres instead of when it got national distribution, which is what most people (especially in the US) are used to. For instance, The Lure wasn't available to watch until mid-2017 in the US, but is listed as a 2015 movie because that's when it first was shown in festivals.

I'm going to be a little lenient here and allow anyone who's already seen the new Halloween in theaters and posted about it to go back and edit their post to count for this challenge.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 19, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I think the pink cover for this works better than the regular yellow one.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Going to see the new Halloween tonight, so that's convenient!

also what movie is that werewolf from?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

Going to see the new Halloween tonight, so that's convenient!

also what movie is that werewolf from?

Van Helsing!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

I'm going to be a little lenient here and allow anyone who's already seen the new Halloween in theaters and posted about it to go back and edit their post to count for this challenge.

Hmm, I may or may not take you up on that. I'll look around and see if there's anything else that might interest me that I haven't seen yet.

Anyone have any suggestions? Here's what I've seen from 2018:
Hereditary
Ghostland
Mandy
A Quiet Place
Apostle
Halloween

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Hmm, I may or may not take you up on that. I'll look around and see if there's anything else that might interest me that I haven't seen yet.

Anyone have any suggestions? Here's what I've seen from 2018:
Hereditary
Ghostland
Mandy
A Quiet Place
Apostle
Halloween

Thoroughbreds, Assassination Nation and The First Purge are the big ones that're missing. Unfriended Dark Web is fun, too. The Ritual, The Endless, even Upgrade.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

Thoroughbreds, Assassination Nation and The First Purge are the big ones that're missing. Unfriended Dark Web is fun, too. The Ritual, The Endless, even Upgrade.

I've see Upgrade and The Ritual (which letterboxd says is 2017).

Has anyone seen The Witch in the Window yet? It's on Shudder.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Revenge is my favorite of the year so far by a lot

Spatulater bro! posted:

Also 2017 according to Letterboxd/TMDB.

e: Shudder says 2018. Who to believe...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6738136/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_dt_dt

Release dates can be weird sometimes for smaller movies. Look at IMDB and you can see more detailed release info. For US residents it played one festival in late 2017, otherwise it wasn't available to be seen until 2018. At least a couple of films Fran listed have a similar sort of situation so I'd assume this is fine.

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 19, 2018

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FancyMike posted:

Revenge is my favorite of the year so far by a lot

Also 2017 according to Letterboxd/TMDB.

e: Shudder says 2018. Who to believe...

e2: Wikipedia says "The film had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on 11 September 2017". So I'd say 2017. :(

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
#79. Demonia (1990) A Canadian archaeology team is investigating some Italian ruins, when a team member discovers the secret destruction of an evil nunnery. Then people around the dig and the nearby town start dying under mysterious circumstances

Man, I really wanted this to be good, as it's Lucio Fulci, but he really drops the ball here. The film drags, and often seems like it has no idea where it's going, to the point that it almost forgets its a horror movie and then crams way too much into the last 20 minutes or so, including a pretty impressive bifurcation gore effect.

:spooky: out of 5

#80. Carved 2 (2008) Mayu is a girl that seems to have her life together, until one night a terrible tragedy results in her having her face horribly scarred and burnt with acid, and her mother dying. From there, her and her family's life slowly spirals out of control worse and worse. Meanwhile, her small town area classmates are getting picked off by a masked woman with a pair of scissors.

whew is this a downer of a film. Based very loosely on the very real crime spree in 1978 that the Split-Mouthed Woman urban legend comes from, this is the kind of movie akin to films such as May, where bad things keep happening to the protagonist, and things just get worse, until they break. And it's hard not to be pulled down with them. I was surprised, this film is night and day from the first Carved, which was instead using the J-Horror ghost template to use the myth, and instead I was met with a very reality based rough horror that was expertly done.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: out of 5

#81. Eko Eko Azarak 2: Birth of the Wizard (1996). A prequel to the first movie, we see the origin of Misa the Witch. 100 years ago in a village full of magic users, a young man foolishly tried to bring his dead wife back to life and instead turned her into a demon that hops from body to body. Her plan is to take over Misa's body after she is born and comes to full power in her teens, and the man is given longevity to protect her when the time comes.

This felt like a big step up from the first film, with lots of crazy gore, and even a little bit of cgi that was good for the time. It's a fun movie if you're at all interested in J-horror.

:spooky::spooky::spooky: out of 5

#82. Scanners 3: The Takeover (1992) Alex and Helena are scanners that have been adopted by a pharmaceutical ceo, and are now grown up. At a party, Alex shows off his abilities and accidentally throws his best friend off a balcony to his death, leading to him going into hiding in Thailand at a monastery. Helena meanwhile tests out a new treatment of her father's for Scanners' constant migranes and disorientation. The topical patch has a side effect of removing her moral conscience, and leads to her using her powers to go on a rampage.

Holy crap. Years ago I saw Scanners 2, and thought it was a pretty so-so followup to the first film, but still in the same spirit. This movie on the other hand is full on bonkers in so, so many ways, from the outlandish gore effects to the ridiculous acting, to the stupid plot developments (a dance sequence!?). It really has to be seen to be believed.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: out of 5

• Locked thread