Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Raldikuk posted:

I have had the same issue with my laptop. When I first got it (with Win10 preinstalled) the battery drained overnight even while using shut down but disabling fast boot seemed to solve the issue (even though there's no reason it should). Fast forward to an update a few months ago (not sure which actual update did it) and the problem reappeared and fast boot had reenabled itself. I got it disabled but the problem persisted.

I wish I had a solution but at this point I've resigned myself to the fact that I will have to plug my laptop in to get it to boot if I haven't used it for a day. Once it is fully charged it has normal battery life so the battery itself is fine.

Power management is a very hard computer science problem :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I only had a little bit of time to see the results of disabling hibernation and fast boot, but it seems to have solved the "power off" issue, and the USB HDD appears to behave as expected, and the up-time counter appears to have reset. I haven't yet booted up one of the affected laptops to see how the battery is faring this time. (Need to wait a number of days anyway.)

Raldikuk posted:

I have had the same issue with my laptop. When I first got it (with Win10 preinstalled) the battery drained overnight even while using shut down but disabling fast boot seemed to solve the issue (even though there's no reason it should). Fast forward to an update a few months ago (not sure which actual update did it) and the problem reappeared and fast boot had reenabled itself. I got it disabled but the problem persisted.

I wish I had a solution but at this point I've resigned myself to the fact that I will have to plug my laptop in to get it to boot if I haven't used it for a day. Once it is fully charged it has normal battery life so the battery itself is fine.

In my research I did read that Fast Boot is often re-enabled after some updates, probably one of the major ones. As long as I'm expecting that I can deal with it and re-disable Fast Boot, however. As above, I'm not yet certain this is going to address the battery drain issues on any of my devices.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Disable hibernation is more of a save space on your tiny ssd thing, or an I won't use it ever thing. Having it on shouldn't interfere with fast boot being disabled, and hibernating the computer shouldn't lose you any battery as the computer is actually off. It's just the hybrid sleep thing that Windows does when you power off with fast boot on that's unintuitive to some.

That's: shouldn't. But anyway, I find hibernation to be behaving nicely and useful on laptops with ssds.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Fast Boot apparently uses hibernation, and so I disabled both to be on the same side, plus I literally never use it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
You might not intentionally use hibernation, but by default Windows will hibernate after sleeping for a while (assuming Fast Boot or Connected Standby or something isn't preventing it). Good to have in case you put it to sleep but end up going unplugged for longer than expected.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I would reckon that your bios sucks as much as I would like to blame it on win10. Some systems implement state S4 to be a sort of "super" suspend instead of actually hibernating. It will still copy memory to disk and idle the processor but leaves a bunch of garbage powered. To counteract this, win10 will try to explicitly power down peripherals when hibernating for fast boot (iirc). This is probably part of the issue.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
I've recently been having issues with my desktop taking 2-3 minutes to boot (on SSD), spending most of that time on the Win10 logo before the spiral animation appears. It seems to be related to IME drivers, but I can't test other drivers, etc. because Win 10 aggressively changes it back before I can complete the process. Anyone deal with this or have any suggestions? The PC is a 5th gen i7, z97 chipset. Fast boot on/off didn't make a difference.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AgentCow007 posted:

I've recently been having issues with my desktop taking 2-3 minutes to boot (on SSD), spending most of that time on the Win10 logo before the spiral animation appears. It seems to be related to IME drivers, but I can't test other drivers, etc. because Win 10 aggressively changes it back before I can complete the process. Anyone deal with this or have any suggestions? The PC is a 5th gen i7, z97 chipset. Fast boot on/off didn't make a difference.

have you disabled drivers from windows update to prevent the re-install? after that you should be able to uninstall the driver / install other versions and not have it pop back.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Are any of you guys experts with OneDrive? I have a paid subscription for 1tb with the whole office 365 thing. I'm tempted to actually use it and sync my documents folder, but as an old man I keep getting this feeling that uploading all my poo poo to the internet (including financial docs, etc) is just a bad idea. Is it safe?

My documents folder is a huge mess too, I think 36gb total, so it would be nice to have it all backed up. Will syncing my documents somehow get them all deleted randomly? I tried syncing up one folder using the mklink function but it doesn't seem to be working too well, so I was thinking about using their actual built-in functionality.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
OneDrive provides a "recycle bin" functionality on the web that handles reverting any accidental deletions. For concerns during the initial backup to OneDrive, just temporarily make a copy of your whole documents folder to somewhere else on your local storage, though you shouldn't lose anything in the initial sync.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Delthalaz posted:

Will syncing my documents somehow get them all deleted randomly?

Normally everyone would say "no, don't be silly" but in light of the recent issue where Windows 10 update was deleting library folders for people who'd changed their locations (which is also something an older version of OneDrive did when you enabled document sync on it), I'd say make sure you keep an offline backup just in case.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Ugh, I was hoping to use this stupid thing for backup.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Regarding the safety of keeping your documents (including financials etc.) In the cloud, you are fairly safe if only because the cloud providers are also providing their services to enterprise customers who demand security and it would cost more money to have separate tiers of security. There's still the possibility of a breach but you're probably at greater risk of identify theft from other sources. If you're particularly concerned you can always apply your own encryption to important data before it goes into the cloud though it's clunky for actually using the documents.

As far as using OneDrive goes I don't have any particular advice, when I started using it I just copied files into the folder and never tried bulk syncing. :shrug:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Delthalaz posted:

Are any of you guys experts with OneDrive? I have a paid subscription for 1tb with the whole office 365 thing. I'm tempted to actually use it and sync my documents folder, but as an old man I keep getting this feeling that uploading all my poo poo to the internet (including financial docs, etc) is just a bad idea. Is it safe?

My documents folder is a huge mess too, I think 36gb total, so it would be nice to have it all backed up. Will syncing my documents somehow get them all deleted randomly? I tried syncing up one folder using the mklink function but it doesn't seem to be working too well, so I was thinking about using their actual built-in functionality.

Delthalaz posted:

Ugh, I was hoping to use this stupid thing for backup.

You can definitely use it as backup, but use the guiding principle of, "the more important something is, the more copies you should keep." So if you've got something unimportant (say, random cat photos from the Web) then you don't need to back them up. Downloaded audio/video/games that would be kind of a pain to re-acquire? Two copies. Important financial documents? Perhaps three copies. Irreplaceable family photos? You get the idea.

I'd be a little apprehensive about uploading sensitive financial documents, but like isndl wrote you can just encrypt them for peace of mind.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Thanks for the tips. Any advice about how to encrypt stuff for the cloud? i was looking at cryptomator. whatever is the least intrusive would be the best

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Delthalaz posted:

Thanks for the tips. Any advice about how to encrypt stuff for the cloud? i was looking at cryptomator. whatever is the least intrusive would be the best

I use Cryptomator and it works well.

Edit: if you don’t need to view the files you’ve stored (as in, the files are purely backups), Rclone also does syncing and encryption.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

bobfather posted:

I use Cryptomator and it works well.

Edit: if you don’t need to view the files you’ve stored (as in, the files are purely backups), Rclone also does syncing and encryption.

I'll check it out. Yeah, I want to be able to view the files too. I bought a cheap little windows netbook for work while traveling and I'm trying to figure out ways of accessing my documents in a secure way while I'm away from my main computer.

Actually, speaking of which, I have another question. Right now I use something like three to four gmail accounts, a yahoo mail account (oh and a proton mail account). Like an inefficient bastard, I just keep them open in pinned tabs in my web browser and click on them one by one when I want to check my email. This has to be a really rear end-backwards way of handling things... and keeping all those tabs open uses up like 85% of my little netbook's memory. Is there a simple, lightweight email client for keeping track of a bunch of gmails? Or maybe a chrome extension that could handle this better? I messed around with outlook in my netbook and one of my less important gmail accounts and google got pissed off, considered it an "insecure app." I was able to get it to IMAP my email by enabling "insecure app access" to my account but I was wondering if you could could recommend something better.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Delthalaz posted:

I'll check it out. Yeah, I want to be able to view the files too. I bought a cheap little windows netbook for work while traveling and I'm trying to figure out ways of accessing my documents in a secure way while I'm away from my main computer.

Actually, speaking of which, I have another question. Right now I use something like three to four gmail accounts, a yahoo mail account (oh and a proton mail account). Like an inefficient bastard, I just keep them open in pinned tabs in my web browser and click on them one by one when I want to check my email. This has to be a really rear end-backwards way of handling things... and keeping all those tabs open uses up like 85% of my little netbook's memory. Is there a simple, lightweight email client for keeping track of a bunch of gmails? Or maybe a chrome extension that could handle this better? I messed around with outlook in my netbook and one of my less important gmail accounts and google got pissed off, considered it an "insecure app." I was able to get it to IMAP my email by enabling "insecure app access" to my account but I was wondering if you could could recommend something better.

I use this on Firefox, but it's also on Chrome these days: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/x-notifier-neo/pheccebhjjlenlidbnddkjgpgfhokmio

It has built in support for logging into and then checking Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail/Live/Outlook, and AOL email accounts. As for Protonmail, you can probably make it work using the script functionality so that it understands how to parse the webmail client: http://xnotifier.tobwithu.com/dp/node/7

But for sites you can't make it work with webmail, it lets you instead check for new mail via the IMAP settings protonmail has: http://xnotifier.tobwithu.com/dp/node/6

Once you have the extension in, you set the time you want it to wait between checking each page (I use every 2 minutes for my main accounts every 15 minutes for the old Yahoo account I barely use) and it'll show an icon with a number when there's new mail, and optionally play a sound for notification. It's quite a bit more efficient than keeping a bunch of tabs open for sure.

isndl
May 2, 2012
When you're juggling that many mail accounts I would say you're at the point where a dedicated mail client like Thunderbird or eM Client is preferred to browser extensions, but I have no idea how well they would run on a netbook. Unless something has changed recently they should be able to support OAuth so you don't get the insecure client warnings from Google though.

If you're scrambling for memory you shouldn't be using Chrome anyways, it's notorious for being a memory hog.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Delthalaz posted:

Actually, speaking of which, I have another question. Right now I use something like three to four gmail accounts, a yahoo mail account (oh and a proton mail account). Like an inefficient bastard, I just keep them open in pinned tabs in my web browser and click on them one by one when I want to check my email. This has to be a really rear end-backwards way of handling things... and keeping all those tabs open uses up like 85% of my little netbook's memory. Is there a simple, lightweight email client for keeping track of a bunch of gmails? Or maybe a chrome extension that could handle this better?
I use Checker Plus to keep track of my multiple GMail accounts in Chrome.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Delthalaz posted:

If they are all personal e-mails, you could always forward them all to one e-mail address. Optionally set up different folders/tags/whatever for each.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

isndl posted:

When you're juggling that many mail accounts I would say you're at the point where a dedicated mail client like Thunderbird or eM Client is preferred to browser extensions, but I have no idea how well they would run on a netbook. Unless something has changed recently they should be able to support OAuth so you don't get the insecure client warnings from Google though.

If you're scrambling for memory you shouldn't be using Chrome anyways, it's notorious for being a memory hog.

Hmm.. what’s a chrome alternative that’s light on memory? IIRC Firefox is even worse in that regard and I like the extensions on Chrome.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Delthalaz posted:

Hmm.. what’s a chrome alternative that’s light on memory? IIRC Firefox is even worse in that regard and I like the extensions on Chrome.

Brave Browser which is based on chrome isn't bad. I dunno if it is lighter on memory though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Delthalaz posted:

I hate to suggest this, but.... Edge? Which I hear isn't execrable?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Delthalaz posted:

I don't know when the last time you used Firefox was but it's generally pretty well behaved ever since the big Quantum update. Nuked a lot of old extensions at the same time, though anything you are able to use an extension for in Chrome should still be possible with the new Firefox.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I hate to suggest this, but.... Edge? Which I hear isn't execrable?

Edge is really pretty ok right now. I wish I wasn't so attached to google services like Hangouts.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Looked at it out of interest - website didn't load at all with NoScript enabled.

Brave that is.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Goon posted:

Looked at it out of interest - website didn't load at all with NoScript enabled.

Brave that is.

Is that good or bad? (lol).

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Syncing solutions like OneDrive, DropBox, etc. are not backup solutions. It's nice that MS provides that recycle bin thingy, but I still wouldn't trust a sync solution to backup critical data. Syncing can get hosed up with conflicts and weirdness, and like someone said with MS's recent troubles wiping your documents on upgrade, I'd use an offsite/cloud backup service for important stuff.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I feel like any weirdness with Windows Updates wiping files is pretty well mitigated by keeping your OneDrive and My Documents cleanly separated, just like how you can avoid a lot of weirdness with programs by installing them to a different folder than Program Files. poo poo can still happen but it's harder to break stuff accidentally when they're not in the default directory.

If it's something absolutely critical then you should always keep an offline backup of course, cloud storage is primarily a convenience for when you're on the go or moving between devices. Can't accidentally delete a file that isn't accessible thanks to being disconnected.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dead Goon posted:

Brave that is.
Nobody cares about people using noscript or webtv boxes or lynx in 2018.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Brave is a silly browser. It's meant to be an engine for the weird gay-hating former Mozilla guy to start his own ad service. Just use chrome itself if you like how it performs, it's nothing more than a chromium wrapper at heart.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fishmech posted:

It's meant to be an engine for the weird gay-hating former Mozilla guy to start his own ad service.
I'm pretty sure he's also famous for one other minor crime against humanity.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Since upgrading from 1803 to 1809 (prior to the update being pulled,) I keep getting a strange Hyper-V error. Never saw it in 1803. What I'll do is create a new Windows 10 VM, eject the ISO, update it, shut it down. When I go to power it back up, Hyper-V throws a SCSI controller error and refuses to boot the VM. Anyone else see something similar? I haven't found a workaround yet aside from deleting the VM and starting over from scratch. Like I said, I had never seen this problem in 1803. I'm beginning to wonder if I should just format/reinstall 1803 at this point. Did I mention the problem is reoccurring?

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 20, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You can revert to 1803 unless you did a disk cleanup and deleted the windows.old directory.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

GreenNight posted:

You can revert to 1803 unless you did a disk cleanup and deleted the windows.old directory.

I did exactly that :sad:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah so did I. 1809 is quite the clusterfuck but I haven't experienced any of the issues others have.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are they putting it back out again? I haven't seen it available on any of my computers so far.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It hasn't been re-released yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/9phh1v/ever_since_the_october_update_the_overwrite/

So, the File Copy dialog is broken for archived files. It no longer prompts if there’s a file conflict.

What does it do? Nobody knows. Seriously, it seems to select an action at random. And if you’re moving files out of the archive, one of those options is apparently to not copy it, but delete it from the archive anyway. :filez: