Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They are gonna get to the DC and Gon will already be there.

The next arc is how Gon got there and it will last six years and twenty chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
He'll get there via the untapped power of ~dark nen~

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

Don't call Alluka names

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The power of ~beloved sibling nen~

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

I refuse to watch that movie on the grounds that it sounds like one of the dumbest movie plots that any popular series has had greenlit.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

I refuse to watch that movie on the grounds that it sounds like one of the dumbest movie plots that any popular series has had greenlit.

Speaking of the HxH movies, I was surprised earlier today to see this article praise Phantom Rouge of all things. :barf:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

I like how the main evil guy hates Hunters and thinks they're all evil. That's like killing mycologists because you think all scientists are evil.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
im looking around the internet with gyo and the chapter hasnt dropped yet

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Found a non-MS translation of the latest chapter. It's... Something.

I am worried for Theta and Melody.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
with how these guardian beast hatsus have two parts im all but sure theta is deada, and melody seems like she's played her last song too by the looks of it. Also I'm betting money that Tse's actual personal hatsu beast resurrected him somehow because he's evil jesus

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
That nen beast certainly lives up to its creepy appearance, stay safe Theta, you're probably my favorite new character in this arc :(

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lol what a riot.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Found a non-MS translation of the latest chapter. It's... Something.

I am worried for Theta and Melody.

It seems to me a decent translation, at least.

Hah ha hah, that end.

/serious mode
"Leave it to me."

"What are you going to do?"

"Uh I figured you would think of something while you rest."

Of course the basis for the chapter is contrived (Melody's start of music has to be just in the same freaking second as Theta firing! /rolleyes) but it's ok as it serves to connect Tse with Melody, and from there Melody with Kurapica).

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 19, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
That Theta wasn't killed outright gives me hope for her. Hopefully she gets out of this with just a rad scar.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

A second resurrection Hatsu seems a bit much, so I'm gonna bet on this being part of the guardian beast's lie-related ability. Maybe it forces Theta to be "true to her word" somehow, so even though she meant to kill Tse in her mind and thought she had killed him, she actually had been unconsciously directed to miss the shot. Or something like that.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Could also be that it vamps some of the targets aura too after marking them, and it would have worked if Theta herself was in Zetsu.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I imagine it's an effect of Melody's music.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

blizzardvizard posted:

A second resurrection Hatsu seems a bit much, so I'm gonna bet on this being part of the guardian beast's lie-related ability. Maybe it forces Theta to be "true to her word" somehow, so even though she meant to kill Tse in her mind and thought she had killed him, she actually had been unconsciously directed to miss the shot. Or something like that.

There wasn't any blood or brains in the floor, nor Tse was dirtied. It was some kind of illusion, or it could be the nen beast can 'swap' with the owner, like Goreinu could do with his gorillas. In fact in her dream she saw Tse's face with the hole in the forehead but it was really the beast (see the neck).

My theory is that the condition to be able to do it is for the aggressor to be marked before (remember she was hit before in the face).

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

yeah i was thinking it was the song but the inability to lie after saying something sounds p. interesting too. it's a mystery!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Togashi really is a master. In almost any other manga I would hate Tsen, the inexplicable genius sociopath is not exactly fresh, but in this I just find him terrifying. Half of it is obviously the super creepy nen beast of course, but his mannerisms add to it a lot.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hated when Tsen turned out to be a genius at first cause I thought of him as the final boss of this arc for Kurapika, then turned around to the idea when I realized that Kurapika isn't the main focus of this arc, the succession war is, and all the princes probably have the potential to be nen geniuses because of the way the succession war presumably works.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
if anything happens to melody i will stop reading

until he resumes after the next hiatus

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The difference between Tsen and other dogshit "oh yeah i'm a super-master at everything" characters is that even without being a nen genius Tsed would still be a terrifyingly competent and dangerous villain even without it and nen just means he's going to get even worse.

Melody will be fine.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its simple imo, Tsen went into zetsu, so Melody's aura song didnt affect him.
Saved by a coincidence.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Togashi really is a master. In almost any other manga I would hate Tsen, the inexplicable genius sociopath is not exactly fresh, but in this I just find him terrifying. Half of it is obviously the super creepy nen beast of course, but his mannerisms add to it a lot.

He has this polite demeanor that just freaks me out

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Saved by a coincidence.

Since just listening is a trigger for Melody's ability, and he was aware of the gunshot, it seems unlikely that he also wasn't pulled into a trance with everyone else. I'm sticking with my hallucination theory on the scar. The thing about Zetsu is that all it does is close your aura nodes so it doesn't leak out. While it stops Guardian Spirits manifesting because they feed off of aura leaked from the body, I don't think Zetsu will stop any abilities already active outside the users body unless they have similar requirements, especially if the ability incorporates Emissions in some way. Of which, the scar has some part to play in imprinting this lie-detector onto the target. I'm thinking a kind of transmuted virus infecting the target affecting their brain

So for this chapter I think Theta shot either next too, or in any direction but where Tse was standing the moment she committed to betraying him. He just stood there because he thought the gunshot was part of the training like everything else she did.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I do not think Zetsu will protect you from nen abilities. If anything you are probably more apt to be affected by them.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Saved by a coincidence.

I agree it's simple. I don't totally agree with the rest :)

Togashi does the setup in the first pages, we both read (from Theta's words) and see (Tse's actions) how a beginner's zetsu can be interrupted by sudden, unexpected sounds. This wasn't written by pure random chance, it's to prepare what comes next.
I think Melody's music is special enough to break his focus even if he was in serious mode, so just before the bullet flies his zetsu broke involuntary and from there, the beast took care of it, blocking it just before it hits the Prince, like we saw two chapters ago they can do (Halk & Nasubi). It isn't very clear because this being a manga and not an anime, we don't see exactly when the music starts.
Meanwhile, Theta is trapped as most people by Melody's music, frozen by 3 minutes, in her mind getting Tse. Tse wasn't frozen, I think the princes were protected from the effect by their nen beasts. He had time to slowly put himself behind Theta.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 19, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it'd probably work against nen that specifically affects aura, but i can't think of any examples.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

I agree it's simple. I don't totally agree with the rest :)

Togashi does the setup in the first pages, we both read (from Theta's words) and see (Tse's actions) how a beginner's zetsu can be interrupted by sudden, unexpected sounds. This wasn't written by pure random chance, it's to prepare what comes next.
I think Melody's music is special enough to break his focus even if he was in serious mode, so just before the bullet flies his zetsu broke involuntary and from there, the beast took care of it, blocking it just before it hits the Prince, like we saw two chapters ago they can do (Halk & Nasubi). It isn't very clear because this being a manga and not an anime, we don't see exactly when the music starts.
Meanwhile, Theta is trapped as most people by Melody's music, frozen by 3 minutes, in her mind getting Tse. Tse wasn't frozen, I think the princes were protected from the effect by their nen beasts. He had time to slowly put himself behind Theta.

Keep in mind the timing of things.
Tse got shot before the song started playing, not during or after. Even the guards were on their way in and then Melody's music put them all into the trance.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Keep in mind the timing of things.
Tse got shot before the song started playing, not during or after. Even the guards were on their way in and then Melody's music put them all into the trance.

Yeah, right now I'm like this

trying to develop a theory which reconciles everything. lol

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I have a solution and I'm kicking myself for not realizing it sooner
Theta's bandage disappears the moment she pulls her gun. That probably signifies when the illusions starts as it's when she goes to betray Tse.

We know that Captain Balsamic Vinegar says that manipulators usually issue verbal commands, and Free-Bear started his control with a question. Tse asked Theta if he could trust her and then she got marked right after she said yes but was lying. I think answering the question from Tse is what started this, although the creature could just mark anyone who lies to Tse as their first "strike". Once you have your first strike if you do anything physical that might harm Tse you enter into a hallucination but your attempt will fail because you'll miss. Third strike probably carries the same risk, either lying or trying to betray him will earn the last one and then it's body horror time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have a solution and I'm kicking myself for not realizing it sooner
Theta's bandage disappears the moment she pulls her gun. That probably signifies when the illusions starts as it's when she goes to betray Tse.

We know that Captain Balsamic Vinegar says that manipulators usually issue verbal commands, and Free-Bear started his control with a question. Tse asked Theta if he could trust her and then she got marked right after she said yes but was lying. I think answering the question from Tse is what started this, although the creature could just mark anyone who lies to Tse as their first "strike". Once you have your first strike if you do anything physical that might harm Tse you enter into a hallucination but your attempt will fail because you'll miss. Third strike probably carries the same risk, either lying or trying to betray him will earn the last one and then it's body horror time.

Oh, that was my first theory, or at least a variation. I guess it makes illusions, not revert anything.

It makes sense because the beast needs some kind of restriction, it doesn't make sense it can affect everyone, there has to be some limit. The restriction is, it only affects victims marked before, and for that they have to lie or betray him.

I thought the first pages of the chapter were important, that's the 'reconciliation' I was trying to do now :D

edit: I guess his zetsu breaking so the beast appears again was still needed to be protected from the music effects, at least not being frozen for the entire 3 minutes. That's how he 'teleported'. /theory salvaged

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 19, 2018

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Something interesting is how the nen beasts power are related to how each Prince want to reign. Or at least those who actively want to be king, which would explain why the youngest princes beasts are different.

-Benjamin gains personal power through the 'undying loyalty' of his elite soldiers. His themes are 'the strongest warrior should be king', and 'loyal, strong army'.
-Camilla's beast is a manipulator type who makes people slave to her wishes. As she said one, people 'should just die' if she wishes so.
-Halkenburg gains a super boost through unified will and cooperation with his followers, to who he shares ideals and a more equal relationship. He leads, but he is also like one more of the group.
-Zhang Lei isn't still very clear, but he seems to me someone more subtle, more typical politician, who prefers to gain power through bribery and exchange of favors. For that, a beast which gives coins with special powers is ideal.
-Tserriedenich is the type to rule through fear. A beast that detects lies and traitors, and who punishes with things worse than death is ideal for that.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

And poor Momoze wanted your full attention, but was cool enough to let you finish what you were doing first.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pretty sure Tse also stated that he hates women who lie.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Turin Turambar posted:

Something interesting is how the nen beasts power are related to how each Prince want to reign. Or at least those who actively want to be king, which would explain why the youngest princes beasts are different.

-Benjamin gains personal power through the 'undying loyalty' of his elite soldiers. His themes are 'the strongest warrior should be king', and 'loyal, strong army'.
-Camilla's beast is a manipulator type who makes people slave to her wishes. As she said one, people 'should just die' if she wishes so.
-Halkenburg gains a super boost through unified will and cooperation with his followers, to who he shares ideals and a more equal relationship. He leads, but he is also like one more of the group.
-Zhang Lei isn't still very clear, but he seems to me someone more subtle, more typical politician, who prefers to gain power through bribery and exchange of favors. For that, a beast which gives coins with special powers is ideal.
-Tserriedenich is the type to rule through fear. A beast that detects lies and traitors, and who punishes with things worse than death is ideal for that.

Salle is lazy as poo poo and his nen beast is pretty much do nothing and it will do your work for you.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Hate-Senpai posted:

Salle is lazy as poo poo and his nen beast is pretty much do nothing and it will do your work for you.

Sale Sale really got an overpowered Nen Beast... if he were already a monarch. Too bad thats not the way Kakin works

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
Tse is gonna fall in love with melody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Saved by a coincidence.

He did get affected. Theta just did not shoot him, he thought the gun shot was another test to make him break zetsu. Then time skipped for about 3 minutes.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 19, 2018