Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They at least need to monster the new soul calibur since they've done SC in the past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I would pay for more monster factories.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Not much got done this Adventure Zone episode aside from the development of Our New Best Friend, Billy, but it was still good. I gotta say this particular arc/mystery's been a little looser than the last, at least in terms of pacing - the first half had them going straight from one disaster to the next, while that momentum's sort of bled off now but the meeting at Indrid's didn't make it sound like they were much closer to figuring out what was going on.

I get the sense that Billy and the other goatmen might be very recently uplifted, maybe going through an accelerated version of the already-accelerated evolution described Thacker's book. It'd explain why Billy could be like Vincent but is seemingly new to self-awareness, without memories of things like Sylvane. Whatever they're trying to "grow" might be responsible?

The individual bits have been good and the Ryan Gosling turn had me laughing out loud, but hopefully this one wraps up soon and they can regroup a little.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah, I feel rather lost with this arc.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The players seem a bit lost too, either they’re not picking up on Griffin’s clues or Griffin isn’t leaving very good clues. He basically had to have Indrid hand-hold them toward the end there.

I will say though I like how loose this arc is, it’s left some room for great unexpected actions. Billy wasn’t supposed to be a character but he’s one of the most interesting parts of this arc.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 20, 2018

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Part of me thinks Griffin is having to rerack some stuff now that Aubrey has touched the untouchable. I think that wasn't really supposed to happen yet, but I could be wrong!

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Nah, Griffin specifically set up the prompt for Aubrey to touch it. I think it probably was saving Billy and having to come up with a new scenario for that, because that felt like an abrupt shift in momentum after.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I like that this chapter is an actual mystery. The previous were very much "this is the monster. Spend an episode planning to fight it. Then fight it".

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, but if Griffin wanted them to solve the mystery, they probably could've used more breathing room - going straight from the Danimal's wreck to the Pizza Hut sign to meeting the Mothman to the Funicular to Billy hasn't left enough time to investigate over just plain react. There also don't seem to be enough obvious leads, in the way that "water monster so start thinking about pipes and water parks" provided an obvious progression last time, I don't really see the connection between the goatmen, growing, blizzards and misfortune either.

This is kind of back-seat GM-ing, and it's only natural that real table-play is going to sometimes lead to odd digressions and the like. It's a good sign that even if things don't always go as planned they've still got the flexibility to improvise and have fun instead of staying straightjacketed to the plot - seriously, that moment where Griffin asked Justin what Billy should look like given he's responsible for bringing him into the story, and Justin without missing a beat says Ryan Gosling, that whole bit was great.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I feel like while the mystery is indeed floundering a little bit, it feels much worse than it actually is due to there being a huge release gap in the episodes due to live touring and other stuff suplexing the boys schedule

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So what you’re saying is that this is the suffering game parallel for this campaign?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Unpopular opinion: Suffering Game was... good. (And the long delays between episodes was probably what lead to some of the best music in the show being in that arc.)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

PMush Perfect posted:

Unpopular opinion: Suffering Game was... good. (And the long delays between episodes was probably what lead to some of the best music in the show being in that arc.)

I also like Suffering Game quite a lot.
It's not perfect, there are some game elements that could have used some more thought.

BUT
It has some of the best music and brought us Arms Outstretched.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah it’s good. There’s not an arc I dislike, but Stolen Century is probs the weakest.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'd say HTBG starts pretty weak. Everything before Magic Brian is pretty forgettable.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

PMush Perfect posted:

I'd say HTBG starts pretty weak. Everything before Magic Brian is pretty forgettable.

Not everything, there was Klarg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulsCN12AIbI

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

No one in the last episode of The Adventure Zone said "Ryan Goatling" and I'm extremely disappointed about that. However, other than that, I think this might have been my favorite episode so far. Just three pals goofing around with their new buddy Billy the goat man.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

PMush Perfect posted:

This is defitely wrong because the fungus cave is v funny

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
fungus cave is what finally hooked me on the podcast, because the few episodes before it aren't very good.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Blockhouse posted:

let's be real

Fortnite didn't screw PUBG. PUBG screwed PUBG.

Off topic a bit, but is there a place I can read about this? It seemed like PUBG was unstoppable and then fortnite ate their lunch from nowhere.

Sexual Aluminum fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 22, 2018

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Off topic a bit, but is there a place I can read about this? It seemed like PUBG was unstoppable and then fortnite ate their lunch from nowhere.

you'll get a few different stories from people depending how much they care about either game, but the things that are facts are that the people behind pubg worked closely with epic to develop the engine in a way to support battle royale style games (both on pc and console), and then epic released a free battle royale game piggybacking on an unrelated already-released game of theirs shortly before pubg came to consoles

fortnite being free and also much more aesthetically kid-friendly is why it caught on so hard; fortnite coming from nowhere was a somewhat shady gamble that obviously worked out really well in epic's favor

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Kids loving love fortnite even if they don’t play fortnite. My little nieces and nephew are constantly doing the dances even though they don’t play online games at all. I think they just watch YouTube videos or something. It’s huge with middle-high schoolers.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Found in the wild

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

pubg costs money, doesn't have an Aesthetic like fortnite does, and has the audacity to charge you for lootbox keys in a game you already paid $30 real-rear end dollars for

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
In a choice between hiding in a bathtub in an eastern european hellscape or doing the fresh prince dance on top of a hamburger, there are audiences for each but the second one is much much larger.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

dmboogie posted:

pubg costs money, doesn't have an Aesthetic like fortnite does, and has the audacity to charge you for lootbox keys in a game you already paid $30 real-rear end dollars for

also: pubg is a hilarious reasource-hog, whereas Epic wisely realized that, much like WoW, the key to market penetration was a game so low-spec that you could run it on a toaster.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah I'm not interested in either, but Epic made better business choices with a shadier start. You could argue that they are the bad guys, if it weren't for the fact that Fortnite is an infinitely more competently executed game. I honestly believe that Epic's people looked at everything PUBG did and realized that the PUBG staff were working uphill on everything, from aesthetic to accessibility, and they made their own thing.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Also, and this is more of a personal story, but PUBG ran like rear end on my computer and was extremely buggy. Sometimes buildings wouldn't load fully, sometimes the game would start and all I could see was the loading screen, etc. It barely even functioned as a game over half the time I tried playing it. Fortnite on the other hand, I've literally never had any such problems with, it just works every time.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
PUBG tried to send out a hat and free fun bucks as an apology for the game going down unexpectedly (which it does constantly)

The fun bucks are just enough to buy A. another hat or B. a loot box you need to spend real money to open

also a bunch of people didn't get the apology items and they promised an apology gift for the apology gift to come later

all in the week where Blops IIII came out

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Blockhouse posted:

PUBG tried to send out a hat and free fun bucks as an apology for the game going down unexpectedly (which it does constantly)

The fun bucks are just enough to buy A. another hat or B. a loot box you need to spend real money to open

also a bunch of people didn't get the apology items and they promised an apology gift for the apology gift to come later

all in the week where Blops IIII came out

In all fairness in the great Pubg / Fortnite war, PUBG runs a lot better than it used to now, and making battle royales is really hard - there’s a lot of server and gameplay issues in Blops4 that are showing up as the shine comes off the apple.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
PUBG had its time in the spotlight and squandered it, is really all there is to say. You can say epic did some shady stuff, but PUBG was in the drivers seat for a while there and did nothing with it.

Awful Squad was a lot of fun, but even then it felt like the game was very disagreeable with the group's systems.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
They really just dropped the ball so much on everything. Match length was way too long (30+ minutes if you got to the final circles), so many bugs that could just ruin your experience, weirdly bad graphics (I haven't played in months though so maybe that's gotten better, but at the time it was probably the worst looking UE4 game I'd seen) while at the same time having horrible resource usage, absolutely terrible free crate progression (Several decent solo matches, IIRC), lobby voice chat on by default (I think, I turned that poo poo off ASAP) in a lobby with a hundred randos, etc.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

PUBG is a tense milsim Arma spinoff-spinoff that was more successful than anyone could have ever expected. if you think the matches are too long then maybe it's not for you but I would call that a feature, not something they should have "fixed" to make it more like Fortnite

I just think holding PUBG up to the standard of "bonafide cultural phenomenon" is a little tough, considering the game that it is. I'm not even sure how Fortnite got there but it for sure made a lot of compromises that I don't think improve the experience.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 22, 2018

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

AndrewP posted:

PUBG is a tense milsim Arma spinoff-spinoff that was more successful than anyone could have ever expected. if you think the matches are too long then maybe it's not for you but I would call that a feature, not something they should have "fixed" to make it more like Fortnite

I liked it until I got tired of it and went back to tanks. That said, when you're literally more popular than League of Legends on twitch, you either have to change to suit the audience or prepare for when you lose people when something more their speed comes up, and I didn't really see them do either.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AndrewP posted:

I just think holding PUBG up to the standard of "bonafide cultural phenomenon" is a little tough, considering the game that it is. I'm not even sure how Fortnite got there but it for sure made a lot of compromises that I don't think improve the experience.

*drives an ATV into a tree only to get beat to death by a frying pan while team mates cure three bullet wounds with a bandage*

THIS IS A MILSIM GAME

Arma making people think 'clunky' and 'slow' is equal to 'accurate' is one of the greatest crimes in gaming.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

*drives an ATV into a tree only to get beat to death by a frying pan while team mates cure three bullet wounds with a bandage*

THIS IS A MILSIM GAME

Arma making people think 'clunky' and 'slow' is equal to 'accurate' is one of the greatest crimes in gaming.

what are you talking about, I love piloting my human body like I'm piloting a Vertical Tank in Steel Battalion, just like real soldiers in the real world

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

sexpig by night posted:

THIS IS A MILSIM GAME

It's a video game duder, the core tenant is that it has to be fun (to somebody). A true milsim game would not be fun for anybody, or at least an insanely niche market that prevents making money.

There's a reason video games don't typically completely disable you every time you're shot anywhere and require months of medical treatment to cure wounds.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1054436705493757954

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Lmao Travis frustrating his brothers owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Justin has no place to talk, too.

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/991693356274249728