Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, I'd forgotten how recently the game had actually come out. Nevermind that point then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Scott Benson / @bombsfall is a great twitter follow, and all his guest episodes of the No Cartridge podcast are great.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Larryb posted:

Ah, I'd forgotten how recently the game had actually come out. Nevermind that point then.

I actually had to look it up again. It honestly feels like it's been around much longer than a little over a year and a half.

Their soundtrack is still something I regularly listen to. And I feel like I've been listening to it for years.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Larryb posted:

Ah too bad but good to know they haven't abandoned the project. Speaking of which, have the devs behind NitW done anything significant since the game launched? Like I've said before, I'd really like to see another project from them one day even if it's not a sequel.

Benson is currently working with another artist on a new game for the past few months but I expect it might be some time before we get any concrete details on what the project is.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 4, 2018

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ah, that makes me wish I knew about this game in the past in order to be a backer! C'est la vie.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
hello I finally played this game after being told for a year that I need to play and like... just... I feel like I need to talk about it

that was amazing?? people did tell me the game was practically made for me but I ended up playing through almost the entire game in one sitting because I couldn't put it down. I hung out with Bea a lot because gently caress, everything in this game hit far too close to home

that part (you know the one) felt kinda out of nowhere for me but I guess it was at least interesting

I think I need to lie down

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Or you could hang out with Greg!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Or you could hang out with Greg!

I know! I feel so bad for not hanging out with him more

crimes

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Your Computer posted:

I know! I feel so bad for not hanging out with him more

crimes

Crimes.

You really gotta play through twice so you can do the opposite friend hangouts than you did the first time. There were a lot of other smaller scenes you can easily miss on your first go through as well. Play again, but this time pick opposite choices, and make sure you explore every inch of town and talk to everyone you can before you talk to Gregg or Bea (or Angus on ghost hunting days)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There are also optional hangouts that don't count towards completion of that particular day but are worth doing anyway. Off the top of my head there's a few with Germ and Lori, star hunting with Mr. Chazokov, one with Mae's mom and another with some random teacher guy I forget the name of.

Also I find it weird that the game won't let you do all 3 ghost hunting hangouts at the end (but if I had to choose I would highly recommend the Bea and Angus ones), some of the dream sequences can be tedious as well (the first one was fun and walking to the well and meeting Cat God was at least atmospheric so why are all the others exactly the same thing but with slightly more complex layouts?). I would also endorse checking out some of the other games in the extras section (especially Lost Constellation). They're both canon prequels and are directly referenced in the main story.

But it's still a great game and I'd honestly like to see more one day (I've heard the creator is apparently working on a new project currently but it'll probably be next year before we hear any details about it).

A few things I recently learned: alternating between Bea and Greg will typically get you the Bea ending (the library apparently counts as a Bea hangout despite the game forcing you to go there), also Lori and Chazokov have different introductory dialogue if you wait a few days before talking to them for the first time and you can actually skip the fight between Mae and her mom by just not talking to her that particular day. Amusingly there's an achievement you can get for just not playing at all during any of the song sections.

Finally some achievement related questions: What food combinations create the perfect dinner when you're doing the hangout where you visit Bea's house? Also, one of the trophies mentions stepping on a cockroach, what hangout can that be found in?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 17, 2018

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Larryb posted:

There are also optional hangouts that don't count towards completion of that particular day but are worth doing anyway. Off the top of my head there's a few with Germ and Lori, star hunting with Mr. Chazokov, one with Mae's mom and another with some random teacher guy I forget the name of.

Also I find it weird that the game won't let you do all 3 ghost hunting hangouts at the end (but if I had to choose I would highly recommend the Bea and Angus ones), some of the dream sequences can be tedious as well (the first one was fun and walking to the well and meeting Cat God was at least atmospheric so why are all the others exactly the same thing but with slightly more complex layouts?). I would also endorse checking out some of the other games in the extras section (especially Lost Constellation). They're both canon prequels and are directly referenced in the main story.

But it's still a great game and I'd honestly like to see more one day (I've heard the creator is apparently working on a new project currently but it'll probably be next year before we hear any details about it).

A few things I recently learned: alternating between Bea and Greg will typically get you the Bea ending (the library apparently counts as a Bea hangout despite the game forcing you to go there), also Lori and Chazokov have different introductory dialogue if you wait a few days before talking to them for the first time. Finally, you can actually skip the fight between Mae and her mom by just not talking to her that particular day.

Finally some achievement related questions: What food combinations create the perfect dinner when you're doing the hangout where you visit Bea's house? Also, one of the trophies mentions stepping on a cockroach, what hangout can that be found in?

Rice, cream of mushroom, mac and cheese, chicken. No shakey bake.

You get the cockroach one by poking the cockroach that's running around while you're poking the severed arm.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Master Twig posted:

Crimes.

You really gotta play through twice so you can do the opposite friend hangouts than you did the first time. There were a lot of other smaller scenes you can easily miss on your first go through as well. Play again, but this time pick opposite choices, and make sure you explore every inch of town and talk to everyone you can before you talk to Gregg or Bea (or Angus on ghost hunting days)
I did play pretty thoroughly (but I didn't use a guide or anything) and it took me like 13-14 hours to play through

found all the stars, raised some miracle babies, made a horror-loving friend, met and then hung out with the trash king (all hail) by the bridge, found a tooth, brought some musicians together, salvaged some garbage antiques, hung out with mom etc. like I said, game is basically made for me. I really enjoyed going through every inch of the map every day and talking to everyone and everything :3:

I alternated a bit between Gregg and Bea (kinda wish I'd stuck with one because it makes my second playthrough more confusing) but I went to the mall and had dinner a fight with Bea and they might've been my favorite parts of the game

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wounds, Proximity, and the Angus hangout are some of the best sequences in the game in my opinion (or at least, some of the more emotionally charged ones at least). I'd also recommend visiting Germ's family when given the option as it develops his character a bit more and provides a nice bit of foreshadowing for later. I kind of wish they'd done more with Lori though as she probably has the sharpest contrast between how she acts around Mae at the beginning and what their relationship is like by the end.

I didn't expect going in that this game staring cartoon animals would make me feel things but there you go. I've said it before but while the game stands well enough on its own I wouldn't mind a sequel one day either. It doesn't even need to be a direct continuation for that matter, just go the Life is Strange route and put it in the same universe but with a brand new cast and setting.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

I didn't expect going in that this game staring cartoon animals would make me feel things but there you go.

hah, that was the only thing I expected (it's why people recommended it to me) but it still hit hard

I went in completely blind and didn't even realize the reason Mae was home was because she dropped out of college until it was mentioned. like I said a lot of this poo poo hit far too close to home but I feel like the game really did it justice with the writing and dialogue. :gbsmith:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 18, 2018

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

Larryb posted:

A few things I recently learned: alternating between Bea and Greg will typically get you the Bea ending (the library apparently counts as a Bea hangout despite the game forcing you to go there),

The library doesn't count. The ending depends on who you go out with on 2 out of 3 hangouts (mall/crimes, house call/mechanics, dinner/wounds).

Larryb posted:

Also, one of the trophies mentions stepping on a cockroach, what hangout can that be found in?

This is from the first day. When you're poking the arm with a stick, there's a cockroach you can squash.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I might just be a ~fake gamer girl~ but squishing that cockroach is extremely challenging.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I might just be a ~fake gamer girl~ but squishing that cockroach is extremely challenging.
I couldn't do it either, but youtube vids recommend waiting for it to scurry offscreen and camp the re-entry point so that it has nowhere to dodge.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

vetinari100 posted:

The library doesn't count. The ending depends on who you go out with on 2 out of 3 hangouts (mall/crimes, house call/mechanics, dinner/wounds).

This is from the first day. When you're poking the arm with a stick, there's a cockroach you can squash.

Huh, for some reason I never thought about trying to interact with it before. Speaking of the arm, there's this weird thing in my recent playthroughs where the tattoo on the wrist is fully exposed but for some reason none of the gang will comment on it, does the arm need to be in a certain position or something?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

On the 4 standard hangouts, the Bea route is better, except for wounds with Gregg being better than dinner with Bea.

I think the ghost hunting is the hardest decision about which one to exclude. All three are fantastic.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think wounds is actually a little weak tbh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm interested in seeing an eventual post-mortem on the Japanese localization, because I assumed a shitload of this game is based on really culturally specific American knowledge (like, for example, just the fact that the game takes place in fictional Pennsylvania has a ton of cultural implications that aren't explicated on)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Master Twig posted:

On the 4 standard hangouts, the Bea route is better, except for wounds with Gregg being better than dinner with Bea.

I think the ghost hunting is the hardest decision about which one to exclude. All three are fantastic.

Yeah they really should have let you do all three to be honest but if I had to choose I'd go with Bea and Angus (I personally found the Gregg one a little tedious at times). Wounds is mostly worth it for the the conversation with Gregg at the very end (Legends is ok as well but Proximity is the better choice overall).

Honestly I consider the Bea route to be the "canon" path through the game as that's where a good chunk of the character development takes place and well, let's face it, those two need each other. With Gregg he already had an established relationship with Mae that hadn't been damaged previously and as Legends sort of points out, they generally wind up dragging each other down more than anything. Angus needs Gregg way more than Mae does (Gregg did basically save his life after all).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 18, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm interested in seeing an eventual post-mortem on the Japanese localization, because I assumed a shitload of this game is based on really culturally specific American knowledge (like, for example, just the fact that the game takes place in fictional Pennsylvania has a ton of cultural implications that aren't explicated on)
fwiw I'm not American either but I still enjoyed the heck out of the game and I think most of it is still applicable at least to other western audiences

the themes, situations and interactions feel a lot more (for a lack of a better word) millennial-focused than American-focused and I've been through a lot of the poo poo in the game (no mudercults thankfully) which is why it struck such a chord with me :gbsmith:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

every modern country which would earn a localization has a depressing rear end rust belt that's been wrecked by postindustrial decline and rural isolation. that's all some countries are. japan should have their pick, there are towns in japan that are literally shutting down because everyone who lives there is old and there are zero kids or young people around

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Your Computer posted:

fwiw I'm not American either but I still enjoyed the heck out of the game and I think most of it is still applicable at least to other western audiences

the themes, situations and interactions feel a lot more (for a lack of a better word) millennial-focused than American-focused and I've been through a lot of the poo poo in the game (no mudercults thankfully) which is why it struck such a chord with me :gbsmith:

I'd argue that the themes are explicitly post-industrial rather than millennial , and while the rust belt is an american setting, there are certainly tons of places like the Rust Belt in England, eastern Europe, Germany, and many other countries.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 18, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the general themes of the game seem pretty universal to me. Plus, games like Life is Strange and the like seem to have done pretty well over there as far as I can tell so I don't think there will be any issue with Night in the Woods.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think it was Scott who posted around the time news of the localization came out, 'Like, what the hell do you do with 'Greggcetra'?' among other things.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ive read a lot of stories/interviews with the people that have been translating the Mario RPGS (Paper Mario, Mario and Luigi, ect) and how they are completely unique challenges because of the level of puns in the writing. I would imagine that NitW is a similar situation.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Wow they announced an anime adaption, check it out:

https://twitter.com/rockosedits/status/1052785615958355969

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'd argue that the themes are explicitly post-industrial rather than millennial , and while the rust belt is an american setting, there are certainly tons of places like the Rust Belt in England, eastern Europe, Germany, and many other countries.

oh yeah, like I said I didn't know what word to really use for it.

what I mean is that it probably hits close to home with a lot of people of this generation, with everything from the way the characters interact and speak with each other to the struggles and just the setting itself etc.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

Seriously though, Night in the Woods could actually make a pretty good animated series/movie if done right. Only problem is you'd have to change some things regarding how the plot is structured and you might lose something from the experience by giving the characters an official voice. I'd still watch it though.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I think in an animated series to they could fit in pretty much every scene. They would have to stretch the plot into more days to fit in every hangout. But the only day that really matters time wise is Harfest being Halloween. I think 24 episodes at about 22 minutes each would be enough to fill it out completely without missing anything. 13 wouldn't be enough.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Larryb posted:

There are also optional hangouts that don't count towards completion of that particular day but are worth doing anyway. Off the top of my head there's a few with Germ and Lori

Lori and Germ hangouts are great. Lori talking about wanting to be a beautiful monster was probably my favorite piece of writing in the game.

Also I played through both bea and Gregg routes recently and not sure which one I like better. Proximity is the better ending pretty easily, but Gregg is more personally relatable to me. "When I'm awake at night, I listen to Angus snore, and I stare at the ceiling, and I think about how I'm a complete piece of poo poo." was probably the hardest hitting line in the game for me emotionally.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

kidcoelacanth posted:

Rocko's Modern Life is one of my all-time favorite anime, so I approve.

Zerilan posted:

Lori talking about wanting to be a beautiful monster was probably my favorite piece of writing in the game.

Wanting to be a "beautiful monster" is something I'd actually said in my super angsty anxiety-ridden goth youth. Only she's way cooler than I ever was at that age and can say stuff like that without sounding like a complete dorkus like I did. So yeah, I really liked Lori.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lori is one of the better side characters, yes (not to mention she also has the most extreme reaction to seeing Mae at the church later out of anyone there). I kind of wish they'd done a little more with her to be honest.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Wanting to be a "beautiful monster" is something I'd actually said in my super angsty anxiety-ridden goth youth. Only she's way cooler than I ever was at that age and can say stuff like that without sounding like a complete dorkus like I did. So yeah, I really liked Lori.
definitely

it's amazing how relatable every character is in this game honestly

in other news I am currently obsessing over the soundtrack

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I listen to the second town theme while walking around the neighborhood with my dog. This time of year it's perfect.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ubsqc4Fdzgw

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Master Twig posted:

I listen to the second town theme while walking around the neighborhood with my dog. This time of year it's perfect.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ubsqc4Fdzgw

I still listen to the soundtrack constantly.

Astral Alley, Dusk Stars, Finding Bea, Home Again, Longest Night, Rainy Day and Snow are easily my most played songs from that game.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

luxury handset posted:

every modern country which would earn a localization has a depressing rear end rust belt that's been wrecked by postindustrial decline and rural isolation. that's all some countries are. japan should have their pick, there are towns in japan that are literally shutting down because everyone who lives there is old and there are zero kids or young people around

Italy as well, though they had a sort of solution until the current government came to power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

There is an amazing amount of music for the length of this game.

And also,