Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I made an effortpost in the n/v thread but the Seahawks are a cash cow in Seattle, and they have a stadium that's up to date. They aren't moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Benne posted:

OKC jokes aside, I see no reason to worry about the Seahawks' future. They got a comfy stadium deal and established themselves as one of the league's most stable franchises. The Panthers just went for $2 billion and if the team goes up for sale, they'll comfortably beat that. (I know there are reports of Jody Allen possibly sticking around because she loves the Seahawks and will want to honor her brother's legacy, but in a soulless capitalist world, she'll likely just take the retirement money). Basically we've come a long way from the days of Paul Behring opening up offices in Anaheim. I'm kinda nervous in terms of the new owner/s potentially being a Snyder-esque type, but the team isn't going anywhere.

The Blazers are the ones who should really be nervous. Even if Jody decides to keep the Seahawks, I doubt she's interested in owning two franchises, especially with no ties to the Portland region. Honestly they'll probably be fine too, but with no obvious succession plan, who knows.

Portland sports guy has been pretty adamant that the Blazers are unlikely to move, based on how well they do in the region. I dont follow anything NBA, so I just take his word for it. Something about being a popular franchise/big draw in a small market.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

shirts and skins posted:

Pretty rich from somebody whose team already left its home city

Still the dumbest take in football, when said seriously.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Coldforge posted:

Still the dumbest take in football, when said seriously.

Only the most serious of takes in response to "lol they're gonna move the Seahawks to OKC"

Anyway,

https://youtu.be/Ag1o3koTLWM

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 16, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

swims posted:

Biased thread but- would you rather start the Carr or CJ Beatheard.

Cj Beathard for me. If nothing else, he actually takes hits and does whatever he can to avoid the rush while someone comes open downfield. Carr is playing very badly right now and I am honestly worried for him mentally. He's also not hitting throws downfield at all which Beathard did okay at. Beathard still throws way too shallowly and misses too many throws, but he's totally acceptable. I'm okay with watching him play this season.

If the niners hadn't come away from the run they would've had this one. As it is, I'm impressed with them for playing the Packers in Lambeau so well that they were a hair away from winning.

I really didn't like that call

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Everyone in this thread will be relieved to know that Cooper Kupp only has a sprained MCL and will be week to week. Doubt he plays this week against the 49ers though.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

seiferguy posted:

I made an effortpost in the n/v thread but the Seahawks are a cash cow in Seattle, and they have a stadium that's up to date. They aren't moving.

I don't think they're moving but it'd be stupid not to sell the team. They're pretty much at the end of their success for a while barring some draft heroics

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Play posted:

I really didn't like that call

Oh, it was absolutely ticky tack garbage. But it's exactly the kind of move that made Niners fans bitch for YEARS about the Seahawks "holding on every play." Seeing that call sink them was just...*sniiiiff*...ahhhhh.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

hifi posted:

I don't think they're moving but it'd be stupid not to sell the team. They're pretty much at the end of their success for a while barring some draft heroics

Success is only a tiny part of the value of an NFL franchise. As population increases, and as revenue increases, and as a bunch of other stuff continues, the valuation will increase. Plus the direct income stream from the franchise.

There’s no reason to sell.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Success is only a tiny part of the value of an NFL franchise. As population increases, and as revenue increases, and as a bunch of other stuff continues, the valuation will increase. Plus the direct income stream from the franchise.

Yeah valuations are going up around the league. The next franchise to sell will set a record, as will the one after that and so on. Very little reason to sell right now assuming you like money

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I mean if the sister's already on the fence about keeping the team then it's not like she's going to enjoy the next 5 years or so.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Siri, show me the 49ers season in 3 seconds

https://twitter.com/PFF_Jeff/status/1052376930387783681

- losing
- injury
- stupid self-inflicted nonsense

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

hifi posted:

I mean if the sister's already on the fence about keeping the team then it's not like she's going to enjoy the next 5 years or so.

I doubt she's going to pay any attention to how the team performs on the field. She's just gonna collect checks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

iirc media revenue is shared leaguewide, so what matters for the team's bottom line is attendance, merch, licensing, etc. That is reactive to things like star power and wins, but if the team keeps filling seats.and selling jerseys then who cares.

But as investments, nfl teams suck. Owning a team is a prestige thing for billionaires. The opportunity cost is likely negative, meaning, selling and investing the money elsewhere probably pays better.

So what it really comes down to is whether the new owner gives a poo poo about being an nfl owner or not. Financially, it's a wash at best.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Actually, you will find that they make money and have consistently quick increases in valuation.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Actually, you will find that they make money and have consistently quick increases in valuation.

That's not actually inconsistent with what LeperFlesh wrote.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

DariusLikewise posted:

Everyone in this thread will be relieved to know that Cooper Kupp only has a sprained MCL and will be week to week. Doubt he plays this week against the 49ers though.

I was shocked he came back into that game after the injury because it looked pretty drat bad. I know he only played that one series, but holy poo poo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Alright, I'll take a closer look.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2017/09/18/the-dallas-cowboys-head-the-nfls-most-valuable-teams-at-4-8-billion/#476554f8243f

quote:

The average NFL franchise is worth $2.5 billion, up 8% by FORBES’ count over last year. The Dallas Cowboys were the only NFL team worth $2 billion five years ago. Now all but five of the NFL’s 32 teams are worth at least $2 billion (the Buffalo Bills bring up the rear at $1.6 billion).
Operating profits (earnings, before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) were a record $101 million per team last season, with every team north of $40 million.
The Cowboys are the NFL's most valuable team for the 11th straight year and the world's most valuable sports franchise. America’s Team is worth $4.8 billion, up 14%, with profits of $350 million thanks to a booming merchandise business and the revenue opportunities at their new practice facility, The Star.

$101M per team on a 2.5B valuation is not that great. It may be excellent by the standards of sports teams in general, but by the standard of billionaires making money on their investments, a 4% annual return - and note, that's EBITDA, so not actual realized cash return - is kinda poo poo.

The Cowboys are quoted as the most valuable franchise, but again - a valuation of $4.8B with profits of $350M (no idea if those "profits" are EBIDTA, but probably) is an 7.3% annual return. That's... well, not bad.

quote:

New and renovated stadiums are adding to team coffers. The Vikings opened $1.1 billion U.S. Bank Stadium last year and venue revenue jumped more than $60 million, pushing the Vikings value up 9% to $2.4 billion (the Vikings had a 38% gain last year ahead of the opening).

This is part of the reason teams love to beg for public money for their new stadiums. If the new stadium permanently returns $60M of profit (and note that's revenue, so not even EBIDTA but just raw earnings) that's a 6% annual return.

However. The value of NFL teams has been increasing, and this is by far the larger source of money for NFL owners, if they sell.

quote:

The Dallas Cowboys were the only NFL team worth $2 billion five years ago. Now all but five of the NFL’s 32 teams are worth at least $2 billion (the Buffalo Bills bring up the rear at $1.6 billion).
America’s Team is worth $4.8 billion, up 14%

Dallas is special and Seattle definitely isn't Dallas. But if the team is going up in value consistently - and that has a lot to do with business decisions like favorable licensing deals - then yeah, that's a great return. If you sell. If you never sell, then you never realize that increase in value. You can borrow against it, which you might do I guess if you didn't have something else to sell for cash (you probably do). It's probably a big part of the dick-waving between billionaires that goes on all the time, because even the fabulously rich are insecure pricks who constantly compare themselves to everyone else in their perceived peer group.

Hanging onto the team would make financial sense if the new owner prefers to think about selling sometime later, if/when team valuations seem to plateau? In the meantime, the cashflow generated by an average NFL team is unimpressive compared to the value. Despite the gushiness of the linked article.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Do those numbers include all of the tax breaks or even aide revenue streams like advertising and things like that? Or just straight ticket sales, merch and TV rights?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They do, yes. However, Forbes is making educated guesses about a lot of the numbers; other than the Packers, none of the teams are public companies, so they don't have to make quarterly public financial reports. They're undoubtedly in the right region of correct, but could be off by millions here or there.

The article actually discusses licensing revenue streams a lot, as that's one of the things Jerry Jones is doing very well to generate more money for himself.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Spoeank posted:

Siri, show me the 49ers season in 3 seconds

https://twitter.com/PFF_Jeff/status/1052376930387783681

- losing
- injury
- stupid self-inflicted nonsense

All gas, no brakes.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

I was shocked he came back into that game after the injury because it looked pretty drat bad. I know he only played that one series, but holy poo poo.

Yeah I thought for sure he tore something, even my fiancee looked over and cringe when they were showing the replays

Cairo Santos seems like a nice dude, I hope some kicker-hungry team gives him a long-term deal

https://twitter.com/cairosantos19/status/1052305757893353472

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

DariusLikewise posted:

Cairo Santos seems like a nice dude, I hope some kicker-hungry team gives him a long-term deal

https://twitter.com/cairosantos19/status/1052305757893353472

I thought the exact same thing. If he gets re-signed somewhere, I'll be pulling for him. . . except if he's playing the Rams.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

It looked real bad, especially coming off on the cart. Every time I see that I think season over.

The Rams are hyping their 5th round pass rusher coming off the PUP pretty hard, I hope he turns out

https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1053036325379629058

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

hoo boy

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Cardinals bad

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Nice knowing you, Mike McCoy

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Play posted:

Cj Beathard for me. If nothing else, he actually takes hits and does whatever he can to avoid the rush while someone comes open downfield. Carr is playing very badly right now and I am honestly worried for him mentally. He's also not hitting throws downfield at all which Beathard did okay at. Beathard still throws way too shallowly and misses too many throws, but he's totally acceptable. I'm okay with watching him play this season.

If the niners hadn't come away from the run they would've had this one. As it is, I'm impressed with them for playing the Packers in Lambeau so well that they were a hair away from winning.

The Rams are going to need to play sharp on Sunday, the Niners are going into that game believing they can win. But we'll probably lose by two points. It's last season all over again.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

mllaneza posted:

The Rams are going to need to play sharp on Sunday, the Niners are going into that game believing they can win. But we'll probably lose by two points. It's last season all over again.

Yes they are going to need to play well. It's not a gimme by any stretch of the imagination.

DariusLikewise posted:

The Rams are hyping their 5th round pass rusher coming off the PUP pretty hard, I hope he turns out

https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1053036325379629058

:same:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Larry Fitzgerald got donked in the nuts by Chris Harris celebrating a PBU and it was like the 100th most apt thing that summarized the game

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I abandoned the game at halftime to watch LeBron, was Rosen's injury as bad as it sounded on Twitter? Also why was he even playing that late in the game?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Benne posted:

I abandoned the game at halftime to watch LeBron, was Rosen's injury as bad as it sounded on Twitter? Also why was he even playing that late in the game?

You're stronger than I am, I couldn't watch past about minute 16 of the first half.

The Good Place is still an excellent show, I highly recommend it.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Benne posted:

Abandoning any NFL game to watch NBA is dumb and stupid. Stop it.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

With the A's out, the Warriors are literally all I have. Don't even try to take it from me.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

I'm not sure I'd call what happened last night "an NFL game". And if you're a Warriors fan you should watch every minute of that dynasty that you can.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Counterpoint, abandoning a bad sport for any reason is good and smart

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Leperflesh posted:

The Good Place is still an excellent show, I highly recommend it.

So true

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I can't recall seeing a team as badly coached as the Cardinals, yikes.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Mike McCoy is now establishing the run up the middle in heaven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/DannyBKe...00%2Fframe.html