Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Christ that thing will live forever, too. Time to break out the gene modding and fix what nature broke.

Good thing for those two extra gene points. Would be nice if the upped the limit on mods too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Jabarto posted:

So the half-species is a subspecies of one of the parents, then? Does that mean I could genemod the half-species template to the parent one and effectively get +2 trait points for the whole species?

I doubt it, I'm thinking the +2 trait points is compensation for the traits being randomized, and having no control over which 2 parent species 'breed' to create the new pop. You probably won't be able to apply templates that exceed your current modifiable points / restrictions.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Nevets posted:

I doubt it, I'm thinking the +2 trait points is compensation for the traits being randomized, and having no control over which 2 parent species 'breed' to create the new pop. You probably won't be able to apply templates that exceed your current modifiable points / restrictions.

You could probably restrict pop growth and other rights of non-favored subspecies to encourage more of whatever perfect psionic/genengineered halfbreed you've lucked into. Xenophile/Authoritarian, where aliens are new friends to find their roles in the state's master plan.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Soooo, even more species gore. Twice as much.

Interestingly, it seems as if there's one roll of the dice to determine the traits of the hybrid species (or two rolls technically, since each paring produces two hybrid species). Which means you can lose out on the specific trait you were aiming/hoping for if the RNG is unkind.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Aethernet posted:

I post this, then he posts this:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1053223103692791809?s=19

I especially like the buff to migration pull. 'Come to the Empire of Xenophilistica and bang all the aliens you can get your hands on!'

E:f;b

Please tell me Rogue Servitors can take this.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
A Rogue Servitor nation whose only goal is to make every type of alien in the galaxy bump uglies should definitely be a thing.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90O6l_v36WI&t=10s

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Humans require ice cream.
*Human & arctic fungoid nervously side eye each other*

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Nickiepoo posted:

A Rogue Servitor nation whose only goal is to make every type of alien in the galaxy bump uglies should definitely be a thing.

The Tumblr Continuance

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

if we're gonna do this, please make the subspecies view collapsible like the sector/planet view is right now, so that my 30 species empires don't end up with a species list hundreds of entries long due to gene modding and hybridization

otherwise, this is great

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'll again be the fun-hater who thinks the whole thing is very silly. Inter-species reproduction is a trope from trek and poo poo where everyone's just a human with different bumps and a very not subtle stand-in for the real world concept of race. But it feels weird as hell trying to do it in stellaris where aliens are so fundamentally different biologically. It's just more species page clutter. more same-portraits to mouse over and wait for the tooltip to tell you which of your 10 sub-species-mixes it is.

If they had some cool portrait-morphing technology, even if it didn't work 100% right, I'd be down with it. Even if they just had a weird filter for each species mix so you'd get sort of lumpy-fungusy humans or scaley humans or feathery humans that would be cool. If you're going to make a system where you can make half human half blorgs but they look exactly the same, why bother?

Hell, just do a diagonal split screen of the two mixed portraits so at least they're visually recognizable within the game.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

man the "anime girl species pack" players are going to be pumped

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's an ascension perk, of course it's out there far beyond the realms of realistic possibility. That was never the point of ascension perks.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Strobe posted:

It's an ascension perk, of course it's out there far beyond the realms of realistic possibility. That was never the point of ascension perks.

Right, it's the same kind of technology that allows you to build ring worlds.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Hey Wiz, even though you're not going to be doing custom portraits for these species combinations, do you know if it'll be possible for modders to add portraits to these combinations?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Jazerus posted:

if we're gonna do this, please make the subspecies view collapsible like the sector/planet view is right now, so that my 30 species empires don't end up with a species list hundreds of entries long due to gene modding and hybridization

otherwise, this is great

It would be great if we could also set a modification as the new 'primary species' or at least have the variant with the highest number of pops take the place. Rather than just always having the original entry always sitting empty.

Baronjutter posted:

I'll again be the fun-hater who thinks the whole thing is very silly. Inter-species reproduction is a trope from trek and poo poo where everyone's just a human with different bumps and a very not subtle stand-in for the real world concept of race. But it feels weird as hell trying to do it in stellaris where aliens are so fundamentally different biologically. It's just more species page clutter. more same-portraits to mouse over and wait for the tooltip to tell you which of your 10 sub-species-mixes it is.
Nordin has some advice regarding this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLWzmeI1QWc

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Nevets posted:

Yeah, I figured my idea would be kind of a point-crock, but I like biological ascension and want a reason to take Xenophile so I had to ask. :)

Also I do have to agree that the idea is kind of silly and cumbersome, but it's also really inventive so I'm willing to give it a shot.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

turn off the TV posted:

Right, it's the same kind of technology that allows you to build ring worlds.
Or, you know, become psychic and talk to the chaos god's.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Nickiepoo posted:

In 2193 the Shipper Fanfiction Algorythm became self-aware...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Christ that thing will live forever, too. Time to break out the gene modding and fix what nature broke.

Good thing for those two extra gene points. Would be nice if the upped the limit on mods too.
I kind of expected them to have a special Hybrid trait that would handle all of that.

Also BIG loving NEWS the Half-Blorg has 6 traits.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I still wish genetic ascension perk allowed you to edit portraits like you can with robot, I want to change my enslaved army of cthulhu people into huggable starfish of death.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

If they had some cool portrait-morphing technology, even if it didn't work 100% right, I'd be down with it. Even if they just had a weird filter for each species mix so you'd get sort of lumpy-fungusy humans or scaley humans or feathery humans that would be cool. If you're going to make a system where you can make half human half blorgs but they look exactly the same, why bother?

Hell, just do a diagonal split screen of the two mixed portraits so at least they're visually recognizable within the game.

I think it's less "Innsmouth" and more "blorg, human, smug slug polycule want to start a family and go to the gene clinic to get in-vitro viable offspring"

Also, +1 on the idea of split portraits

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

You're right, we should stick to 100% realistic things like space dragons.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Wiz posted:

Can you gently caress the space dragon?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Back Hack posted:

I still wish genetic ascension perk allowed you to edit portraits like you can with robot, I want to change my enslaved army of cthulhu people into huggable starfish of death.

You can though? Once you've selected the second ascension and researched the tech it unlocks you can change their portrait to anything of the same the same species group.

I have no idea how the game would react to being half humanoid and half reptilian though.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Wiz posted:

If you're so concerned with realism, why are the planets round wiz?!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

It's more the total lack of art or anything to make them visually distinct in the interface. Space dragons aren't just battleships with "space dragon" written on them. The cross-species system is calling them "half X" species but they really seem to just be "humans with some blog traits". So doing something like a diagonal split screen, or in the case of a human "half blog" have a human pop art with a smaller blog art in the corner like how army attachments worked. Just... anything.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You can though? Once you've selected the second ascension and researched the tech it unlocks you can change their portrait to anything of the same the same species group.

I have no idea how the game would react to being half humanoid and half reptilian though.

Why have I've never realized this!? :aaa:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

turn off the TV posted:

Can you gently caress the space dragon?

My heart belongs only to sexy planets

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

SniperWoreConverse posted:

My heart belongs only to sexy planets

Gaia world, Atmospheric Aphrodisiac, Atmospheric hallucinogen, Natural beauty, Resort word. Lots of Migration treaties. Xenocompatibility. :yeah:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Baronjutter posted:

It's more the total lack of art or anything to make them visually distinct in the interface. Space dragons aren't just battleships with "space dragon" written on them. The cross-species system is calling them "half X" species but they really seem to just be "humans with some blog traits". So doing something like a diagonal split screen, or in the case of a human "half blog" have a human pop art with a smaller blog art in the corner like how army attachments worked. Just... anything.

Naw it’s fine as it is imo. The Asari literally did something similar in Mass Effect where they could gently caress just about anything to make more Asari but those Asari were frequently subtly different based on the parentage.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Darkrenown posted:

Gaia world, Atmospheric Aphrodisiac, Atmospheric hallucinogen, Natural beauty, Resort word. Lots of Migration treaties. Xenocompatibility. :yeah:

Plato's Retreat has been colonized.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Captain Oblivious posted:

Naw it’s fine as it is imo. The Asari literally did something similar in Mass Effect where they could gently caress just about anything to make more Asari but those Asari were frequently subtly different based on the parentage.

That post is about the UI.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Eagerly awaiting my half-fox-half-snalien space pope.

-- this is the future liberals want --

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

For everyone wondering about the corporate panel, check this out.

Very clear now.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DatonKallandor posted:

If you're so concerned with realism, why are the planets round wiz?!
They're not they're square.

They'll be round in 2.2.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Darkrenown posted:

Somewhere in the future, Commander Riker just jizzed his pants and doesn't know why.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Please do not implement the side by side / diagonal cutaway it's the most vile thing for me and every single poster and TV show does it, aaaaaa

please no

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Please do not implement the side by side / diagonal cutaway it's the most vile thing for me and every single poster and TV show does it, aaaaaa

please no

How would you graphically represent on the pop icons that a species is a hybrid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

turn off the TV posted:

That post is about the UI.

I’m not sure you understood why I referenced the Asari.