Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

FunOne posted:

Eye glasses? Dental work? Contacts? Lots of things that are FSA friendly.

Oh yeah, we've been loading up on those too. Everything's on the table. Just trying to sift through the mass of baby-related products at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

Due to scenarios involving contribution periods and bad predictions too boring to detail here, my wife and I find ourselves in the position of needing to spend $300 on FSA-eligible products within the next 48 hours. (And we need to spend another $1000 before the end of the year.) We're normally pretty healthy people but she's expecting our first kid in January so we figure this is a good time to stock up on baby supplies.

We've been browsing the FSA store and are aware of the big-ticket items like breast pumps and orthopedic support pillows, but what is some of the smaller miscellaneous medical equipment you found invaluable for a newborn, and what is just junk? I'm talking thermometers, nose cleaning enemas, rectal catheters to help with tummy gas, etc.

-Bulb syringes for sure, we use them for our son's nose and when he forgets to swallow a little bit of milk and we can suck it out with a syringe. NoseFrida is really effective also, but super gross to use when you can see his snot and boogers coming through the tube.
-WE don't use rectal catheters like Windi the Gas Passer--could be messy for a start, and our pediatrician said it could make him reliant on them if we used them too much and he wouldn't develop as easily the muscles needed for bowel movements. Bicycle legs and tummy massages worked before we had to resort to Windi. But that's just us.
-Thermometers are a must. We got a couple thermometers as gifts and we mostly use the forehead/ear one because it's easy and we don't have to stick it up his butt.
-Safety nail clippers. We have to pretty much clip our son's nails every day as they grow so fast and he has scratched himself on the feet and face numerous times. He's also given us some nasty scratches. We got this off Amazon and it's really good.
-Diaper rash cream applicator so you don't need to use your fingers.
-Microwave steam sanitizer for pacifiers, pump parts, and bottles. Especially important for pump parts.
-You mentioned pillows for ortho support and I want to throw out there (in case she plans to breastfeed and/or y'all didn't go to a breastfeeding class at the hospital) that for the first few months my wife swore by her breastfeeding pillow so she could feed our son in the football hold and he was right up at her breast. It helped him learn to latch really well.
-If she's planning on breastfeeding--we found the hospital's breastfeeding nurse consultants really valuable and they had a support store in the hospital. My wife had a tough time in the first month or so before breastfeeding became comfortable for her and not unbearably painful, so we got her nipple shields (go over nipple and milk comes through little holes, they're reusable and protected her from bad latches and bad unlatches) that worked really well. Lanolin was also great. She still wears absorbent nipple pads under her bra too. If yall aren't delivering at a hospital you can find a lot of this stuff online too, most of it through Medela. Ignore if she isn't going to breastfeed or can't for whatever reason.
-We have an automatic formula mixer and warmer--we've never used it and he's never been on formula yet but my wife's mom friends really love it

Hope something there helps if you didn't think of those things already.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 17, 2018

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

wizzardstaff posted:

Due to scenarios involving contribution periods and bad predictions too boring to detail here, my wife and I find ourselves in the position of needing to spend $300 on FSA-eligible products within the next 48 hours. (And we need to spend another $1000 before the end of the year.) We're normally pretty healthy people but she's expecting our first kid in January so we figure this is a good time to stock up on baby supplies.

We've been browsing the FSA store and are aware of the big-ticket items like breast pumps and orthopedic support pillows, but what is some of the smaller miscellaneous medical equipment you found invaluable for a newborn, and what is just junk? I'm talking thermometers, nose cleaning enemas, rectal catheters to help with tummy gas, etc.

NoseFrida was my preference for nasal cleaning. My wife can't seem to use it, so we have a cleanable bulb syringe for her, but it's less effective. If she'll be pumping, breast milk storage bags (we found no real difference between Medela, Lansinoh, and Target brand except price), nursing pads, my wife liked the Medela Quick Cleansing Wipes when she was pumping at work. Honestly, you could probably blow 300 bucks on bags and pads and not be too bad off.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

wizzardstaff posted:

Keep in mind that insurance is required to cover breast pumps and supplies. However, they're not required to cover any particular pump, so check to see what's available.

Edit: N+1 for Nose Frida. Being able to see the mucus is a good thing imo. So I know there's something there and to keep on suckin'.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Sunscreen is one of our largest reliable annual FSA expenses. We live in SoCal and we’re pale (well, my daughter and I are).

Edited to add: I see baby won’t be here til January so you won’t need it for 6 months. But the “safe” rated sunscreens are very expensive, and there’s always yourselves as well.

Baja Mofufu fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 17, 2018

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Babyproofing question - one that's proving impossible.

Somehow I have to keep the little crawler away from the fireplace. Simple enough? Apparently I'm also not allowed to attach anything to anything to do it.

Our fireplace is in a a wood box in our living room, which my other half says is sacramount and we cannot damage the sides nor the marble surround in any way. To each side is a window and a glass sliding door. There are small (1cm/0.5in) strips of something we might be able to drill into, no promises.

I've drawn a diagram, anything in red should not be damaged.

I've tried one of these surround fire guards but somehow need to get it to not tip over. Also I don't think I'm onto a winner here, the drat thing didn't come with a manual. It was the closest thing to what we used for some other kids/fireplace in our family.

Any ideas? I'll even settle for "this is what we did" regardless of if it meets the criteria above.

Yes, have thought of a play yard mounted to the wall. My hesitation is they are kind of expensive and since it's a gas fireplace controlled from the other side of the wall, we don't regularly need physical access to it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Thanks everyone for the FSA recommendations. We are sitting down to do our online shopping right now.

For keeping the baby away from the fire, maybe try some freestanding fences geared toward corralling pets? I guess you already said you thought of a playard which is kind of the same thing.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

wizzardstaff posted:

For keeping the baby away from the fire, maybe try some freestanding fences geared toward corralling pets? I guess you already said you thought of a playard which is kind of the same thing.

My advice would be to do without a barrier, use vigilance instead. I.e. do not allow the baby in the room by him/herself while the fireplace is hot, to begin with. Sooner than you think, the problem will pass: if a fireplace is too hot to be touched on the outside without hurting yourself, it will also be pretty uncomfortably warm to simply be within arm's reach (especially toddler arm's reach). Not touching the fire seems to be a fairly basic human instinct.

Source: I have four kids and a fireplace sans barrier and none of them have burned themselves.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

life is killing me posted:

Sorry it took me awhile to get back here and respond! We took our son down to Austin for a wedding where he was very stimulated all day from family and friends so he slept decently, and the few days before that he slept well and only woke up once per night so I thought we were out of the worst. We were wrong. I figure the milestone he's in (according to The Wonder Weeks it's his fifth leap) just makes it worse.

Not sure my wife is up for co-sleeping and at any rate he may be too big at this point for a bassinet on the bed. We are terrified of rolling over on him. And I get the flippancy! If that's all there is to it, not much else to say either way.

I've brought up the idea of having him sleep 100% in his room from now on and my wife isn't emotionally ready for that apparently. I've been emotionally ready since we started putting him down for naps in there because I'm already a light sleeper and that's when I CAN sleep. As to sleep associations, yeah, we've been bad about sleep training I admit. For my wife's part, by the time she's done with work she's exhausted. So during wakeups, she's so tired mostly that she can really only muster whipping out the boob and my protests aren't usually received well. I offer to get up and do the sleep training and when it fails to get him to sleep she still has to get up and whip it out. We already do wait a few minutes to pick him up when he starts to cry and his teachers at daycare manage to get him down for naps now without rocking him. But at night he's so resistant to going back to sleep it's hard not to lose patience.

Transferring rooms has been the practice and up until recently he's done just fine with the transfer and dream feed. His pediatrician even told us to keep doing it if that makes him go longer between wakeups. But it's since slowly stopped working as effectively. I suppose I could try to convince my wife to start putting him down in his pack n' play in our room so we don't do the transfer, we have two cameras and if I needed to mount the second in there it wouldn't be a big deal. If we get him down late, we put him in there anyway so as not to wake him up when we go to bed after he's been asleep an hour, and we just keep the door cracked so we can hear if he wakes up.

He's changed his sleep schedule on us so much lately, going back and forth between waking up once to waking up a few nights in a row six or seven times. Our parents keep saying we seem exhausted, and we are. It hasn't helped with me getting drowsy during the day from atomoxetine, either.

What has your pediatrician said about self-soothing? We have been under the belief that he's not quite capable of it yet, but about a month or two ago he started sucking on his hands and his thumb (which we've been trying to break him of, we'd rather him suck on a paci than on a germ-infested hand). He is also slowly learning, on his own and without prompting or training from us, to put his paci back in his mouth when he spits it out. He sometimes seems to spit it out just so he can put it back in. He gets it backward most of the time but we've caught him a couple times doing it like a champ. But he can't FIND the paci if he loses it at night, and we're looking forward to him catching up with his middle cousin who can wake up, find his paci in pitch dark, throw it back in his mouth and go back to sleep.

All of that is to say, we don't know where he's at with self-soothing because he still cries through his paci if he's pissed enough, and spits it out sometimes on purpose. He can stay calm-ish for like 15-20 seconds with his hands in his mouth but goes back to crying again.

My wife used to be the heavy sleeper in the family, but we've kind of switched since we had our kid. And the arrangement that worked for a couple of days was that I slept in the room with him, and when he woke up I would bring him to my wife. Earlier on we had kind of a system where if one person really needed the sleep, they would go into the other room. This all depends on your space, but it helped a lot.

We've gone back and forth with the pro's and con's of pacifier and the hand because I feel like long-term the pacifier habit is easier to break than the hand/thumb habit. But the losing of the pacifier during the night is a non-trivial problem for the reasons you mentioned. Someone above mentioned a 'lovey' cloth that had pacifier clips on it for just that issue.That having been said, our guy would spit his out and could fall asleep without one. One thing you may want to look into is a hammock or a swing. He uses a hammock at daycare and has been sleeping insanely well there, but has been having trouble napping here. And we're about a minute away from buying one for ourselves. However the cons of that are, as far as I can tell: It takes a lot longer for them to find their ideal sleeping position; anecdotally from a bunch of people, when their kid figured out how to sleep on their stomach, that was when things changed. And then you have to break them of the hammock/swing habit.

WRT self soothing: So the main things she asked us about were how attached he was. Like if he had attachment issues, then we wouldn't have even tried. And also whether or not he had put himself to sleep during the night in the past. To be fair, we're in Switzerland, where things are a bit more 'wife-taley', homeopathic and farmy (there are parts of the country where kids grow up smoking from like 5yo). We were really hoping to do the chair technique, as far as the CIO-methods were concerned, but he gets super excited around people, so based on a few experiences we just didn't see it working out. She just shrugged and said 'yeah, go with your gut'. Self soothing also isn't necessarily hand sucking. Our guy kind of kicks his feet up and down. Part of it is finding the right position, as well.

Another thing that helped at least get one uninterrupted stretch of sleep was to make sure that he got a ton of milk in the hour and a half leading up to him going to sleep.

I think a lot of it is a feedback loop. He could tell that we were tired and losing patience, and 'fed' off of that. Hope all of that helps, but yeah this stage is a nightmare and we're doing okay with it and still feel godawful.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

wizzardstaff posted:

For keeping the baby away from the fire, maybe try some freestanding fences geared toward corralling pets?

Yep we considered it but she's learning to stand, using anything she can get her hands on at the moment...

Groke posted:

...Sooner than you think, the problem will pass...

Combining both ideas might be where I have to go with this one. It's not cold enough yet to turn the fire on (btw, we use it as our main source of heat). Perhaps a freestanding fire guard in case she falls and to be a mild deterrent is the way to go.

Unfortunately we are in 2 bedroom condo and don't have any extra rooms to use as a room to keep her away.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

bollig posted:

My wife used to be the heavy sleeper in the family, but we've kind of switched since we had our kid. And the arrangement that worked for a couple of days was that I slept in the room with him, and when he woke up I would bring him to my wife. Earlier on we had kind of a system where if one person really needed the sleep, they would go into the other room. This all depends on your space, but it helped a lot.

I sleep badly mostly. But in our son's first three weeks of life I never slept heavier. Now I'm back to what I was. I have nightmares and terrors sometimes and it happens when I'm in light sleep REM so that's never good. Sometimes I wake myself up crying out and I am really jumpy when I am awakened, and I'm scared it's going to wake up our little bundle of joy. It couldn't hurt for me to try this though, if she will agree to it. She may not because she wants him in the room with us.

bollig posted:

We've gone back and forth with the pro's and con's of pacifier and the hand because I feel like long-term the pacifier habit is easier to break than the hand/thumb habit. But the losing of the pacifier during the night is a non-trivial problem for the reasons you mentioned. Someone above mentioned a 'lovey' cloth that had pacifier clips on it for just that issue.That having been said, our guy would spit his out and could fall asleep without one. One thing you may want to look into is a hammock or a swing. He uses a hammock at daycare and has been sleeping insanely well there, but has been having trouble napping here. And we're about a minute away from buying one for ourselves. However the cons of that are, as far as I can tell: It takes a lot longer for them to find their ideal sleeping position; anecdotally from a bunch of people, when their kid figured out how to sleep on their stomach, that was when things changed. And then you have to break them of the hammock/swing habit.

He's actually slept in his swing before, a couple times taking uncharacteristically long daytime naps (usual is 30-40 minutes, here he slept about three hours). So that could be a thing. Trouble is, now, whether it's the milestone he's in or just growing and changing preferences, he will not let himself be put in that swing during the day. If he does, it's not long before he's fussing and straightening his legs to get out. Again that could be the milestone he's in, wanting more physical contact with us and wanting to be able to see us at all times. But sometimes he's not happy with literally anything at all and fusses no matter what we do--and during these times he won't take his paci. At daycare, he has gone to sleep on his own in a rocker that wasn't even on. This morning I was holding him sitting upright leaning back against my left arm and wasn't even trying to put him to sleep, he just nodded off right there and didn't even stir as I took him to his crib. At night it's like a Jekyll/Hyde situation. We no longer put him to sleep in a swaddle even though he hasn't yet learned to roll over from his back to his stomach. Last night was the worst night so far, and I hadn't thought it could get worse. I'm running on an hour of sleep (I take adderall and still I feel like I'm about to go narcoleptic today) and around 530am I was attempting to put him back to sleep as normal and he fought it so hard he scratched me three times and pulled my chest hair. We just don't know what to do anymore. He doesn't respond to things that used to get him back to sleep and I'm starting to think he's so dependent on nursing back to sleep that I have no idea where to start in order to simultaneously get more sleep and wean him off expecting to nurse before he will sleep again.

bollig posted:

WRT self soothing: So the main things she asked us about were how attached he was. Like if he had attachment issues, then we wouldn't have even tried. And also whether or not he had put himself to sleep during the night in the past. To be fair, we're in Switzerland, where things are a bit more 'wife-taley', homeopathic and farmy (there are parts of the country where kids grow up smoking from like 5yo). We were really hoping to do the chair technique, as far as the CIO-methods were concerned, but he gets super excited around people, so based on a few experiences we just didn't see it working out. She just shrugged and said 'yeah, go with your gut'. Self soothing also isn't necessarily hand sucking. Our guy kind of kicks his feet up and down. Part of it is finding the right position, as well.

Yeah. Ours wakes up and lifts his legs and slams his heels down on the mattress really hard. Sometimes it's really loud. Apparently that's a thing with babies? Anyway, I'm not sure it's self-soothing for him when he does that. He literally can't soothe himself at night and I've caught myself in the paranoia that he's coughing or sneezing on purpose simply to stay awake and make us suffer. I know that's not rational, but it's hard to be rational at 3am and being so fixated on the worry that he's going to wake up at any moment.

bollig posted:

Another thing that helped at least get one uninterrupted stretch of sleep was to make sure that he got a ton of milk in the hour and a half leading up to him going to sleep.

Our son is at the point that when he's done, he's done. He will turn his head off my wife's breast and refuse to eat anymore. We've been doing rice cereal before bath and bedtime, and he's getting better at getting that down by slurping it off the spoon, but it doesn't help his sleep at all. Also, whereas he used to get a stretch of 3-4 hours of sleep after we put him down for the night and before we went to bed--where we'd have to go get him and bring him to our room, now he's waking up like clockwork at 930-10 no matter what. He can't seem to sleep longer than a 2-hour stretch anymore.

bollig posted:

I think a lot of it is a feedback loop. He could tell that we were tired and losing patience, and 'fed' off of that. Hope all of that helps, but yeah this stage is a nightmare and we're doing okay with it and still feel godawful.

We've read and heard different things about this. His doctor said (and The Happiest Baby on the Block too) that it's a myth that he can sense our frustration and feelings. But I think it doesn't do any good to be outwardly frustrated at him, as hard as it is to not be sometimes--he's a baby and can't help it. I will be making a more concerted effort no matter what my mental state is during his wakeups, to be calmer and more soothing because if it doesn't help anything, it certainly won't hurt.

Either way it feels like war every goddamn day. In the military I used to be good at operating on almost no sleep in training exercises, and I would've thought that would help me here. Truth be told though, during the middle of the night and multiple wakeups, sometimes I think it'd be easier if he just got up and started banging a metal spoon on a trash can.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

I sleep badly mostly. But in our son's first three weeks of life I never slept heavier. Now I'm back to what I was. I have nightmares and terrors sometimes and it happens when I'm in light sleep REM so that's never good. Sometimes I wake myself up crying out and I am really jumpy when I am awakened, and I'm scared it's going to wake up our little bundle of joy. It couldn't hurt for me to try this though, if she will agree to it. She may not because she wants him in the room with us.

He's actually slept in his swing before, a couple times taking uncharacteristically long daytime naps (usual is 30-40 minutes, here he slept about three hours). So that could be a thing. Trouble is, now, whether it's the milestone he's in or just growing and changing preferences, he will not let himself be put in that swing during the day. If he does, it's not long before he's fussing and straightening his legs to get out. Again that could be the milestone he's in, wanting more physical contact with us and wanting to be able to see us at all times. But sometimes he's not happy with literally anything at all and fusses no matter what we do--and during these times he won't take his paci. At daycare, he has gone to sleep on his own in a rocker that wasn't even on. This morning I was holding him sitting upright leaning back against my left arm and wasn't even trying to put him to sleep, he just nodded off right there and didn't even stir as I took him to his crib. At night it's like a Jekyll/Hyde situation. We no longer put him to sleep in a swaddle even though he hasn't yet learned to roll over from his back to his stomach. Last night was the worst night so far, and I hadn't thought it could get worse. I'm running on an hour of sleep (I take adderall and still I feel like I'm about to go narcoleptic today) and around 530am I was attempting to put him back to sleep as normal and he fought it so hard he scratched me three times and pulled my chest hair. We just don't know what to do anymore. He doesn't respond to things that used to get him back to sleep and I'm starting to think he's so dependent on nursing back to sleep that I have no idea where to start in order to simultaneously get more sleep and wean him off expecting to nurse before he will sleep again.

Yeah. Ours wakes up and lifts his legs and slams his heels down on the mattress really hard. Sometimes it's really loud. Apparently that's a thing with babies? Anyway, I'm not sure it's self-soothing for him when he does that. He literally can't soothe himself at night and I've caught myself in the paranoia that he's coughing or sneezing on purpose simply to stay awake and make us suffer. I know that's not rational, but it's hard to be rational at 3am and being so fixated on the worry that he's going to wake up at any moment.

Our son is at the point that when he's done, he's done. He will turn his head off my wife's breast and refuse to eat anymore. We've been doing rice cereal before bath and bedtime, and he's getting better at getting that down by slurping it off the spoon, but it doesn't help his sleep at all. Also, whereas he used to get a stretch of 3-4 hours of sleep after we put him down for the night and before we went to bed--where we'd have to go get him and bring him to our room, now he's waking up like clockwork at 930-10 no matter what. He can't seem to sleep longer than a 2-hour stretch anymore.

We've read and heard different things about this. His doctor said (and The Happiest Baby on the Block too) that it's a myth that he can sense our frustration and feelings. But I think it doesn't do any good to be outwardly frustrated at him, as hard as it is to not be sometimes--he's a baby and can't help it. I will be making a more concerted effort no matter what my mental state is during his wakeups, to be calmer and more soothing because if it doesn't help anything, it certainly won't hurt.

Either way it feels like war every goddamn day. In the military I used to be good at operating on almost no sleep in training exercises, and I would've thought that would help me here. Truth be told though, during the middle of the night and multiple wakeups, sometimes I think it'd be easier if he just got up and started banging a metal spoon on a trash can.

You said he’s in leap 5, yeah? That has definitely been the hardest one for us so far (though we just started leap 6 and the night before last was a nightmare, so maybe I shouldn’t speak too soon).

For us, leap 5 was multiple night wakes, none of the tricks I relied on working, trying to nurse to soothe and being rejected just to scream more. I thought I was going to go insane. She also became incredibly efficient at breastfeeding so I thought she wasn’t getting enough milk or was starting breast refusal, so it was very emotional that way too.

It passed. Her new normal breastfeed is 3-6 minutes where it used to be 10-20, she is back to self settling, and naps in the day are longer again.

Are you both working? If one of you is home at least a few days a week, make sure you use that time to rest when the baby does, even if it’s only for 20 minutes.

I also found when we moved her to her own room that she slept better because we weren’t disturbing her by walking in/out.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

femcastra posted:

You said he’s in leap 5, yeah? That has definitely been the hardest one for us so far (though we just started leap 6 and the night before last was a nightmare, so maybe I shouldn’t speak too soon).

For us, leap 5 was multiple night wakes, none of the tricks I relied on working, trying to nurse to soothe and being rejected just to scream more. I thought I was going to go insane. She also became incredibly efficient at breastfeeding so I thought she wasn’t getting enough milk or was starting breast refusal, so it was very emotional that way too.

It passed. Her new normal breastfeed is 3-6 minutes where it used to be 10-20, she is back to self settling, and naps in the day are longer again.

Are you both working? If one of you is home at least a few days a week, make sure you use that time to rest when the baby does, even if it’s only for 20 minutes.

I also found when we moved her to her own room that she slept better because we weren’t disturbing her by walking in/out.

Yep, he's in leap 5. They've all been pretty brutal but this one especially. I got some perspective on sleep today, though. Talking with my dad at his office, one of his employees came by and asked how my little man was doing. She has two daughters, one is 5 and the other is still an infant, and that infant does not sleep at all. Literally. 5 minute naps, then is up for two hours. That poor woman hasn't slept at all either. I've never heard of such a thing and wondered out loud how a baby can continue living with almost no sleep, asking what the pediatrician said. Apparently, eventually the child will sleep but God knows when that'll happen. So I got to stop feeling sorry for myself for a little bit at least.

I'm looking forward to this leap ending, in all honesty. I'm also looking forward to him rolling over from his back (he can already roll over from his stomach to his back) and maybe seeing if sleeping on his stomach helps at all.

When he's in daycare, it's work, work, work. My wife can work from home and has been doing so, and I run a business that requires lots of daily traveling to different locations and then lots of time in front of the computer. So, regardless, when he's home from daycare we try to get the time in with him and keep him up until at least 630, though 700 is ideal. But there's little quality time to be had with a baby who's being curmudgeonly most of the time he's home with very few happy times in between. Interestingly, he's apparently chipper and happy at daycare and really, as hard as it is to believe, it's his general disposition when he's not going through leaps.

My wife is the major obstacle to moving him to his room full-time. Hopefully this will soften when he hits six months early next month and I'll be able to convince her to let him sleep in his room all the time rather than just daytime naps. She's really attached to him, as am I, but I am slightly less emotional about certain things than she is. I'd rather just go with what she wants in those things than fight it, because it makes her happy and less anxious, and it's not a hill I want to die on at this time.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Even if you do nothing at all I promise your kids will learn to sleep through the night on their own.

If you want to do some sort of sleep training, that's all well and good. If you don't want to, that's fine too. Eventually they will sleep. Baby and toddler sleep is just hard to deal with. It's amazing our species continues ;)

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

sheri posted:

It's amazing our species continues ;)

Yeah no poo poo. A foal is walking within an hour of birth. Piglets will fight their siblings to get a chance to suckle.

Meanwhile baby humans need to be constantly coaxed and tricked into just loving eating, will do their utmost to make sure their parents are constantly sleep deprivated. They take months to become mobile, and once they do, they will do their best to commit suicide if you leave them alone for even a second.

Taking care of and raising what are without a doubt the most useless offspring in the animal kingdom is hard enough with a modern standard of living where food and shelter is a given, and at-will access to modern healthcare professionals. I can't loving imagine how people pulled it off in pre-agricultural hunter gatherer societies, which is where the vast majority of all babies who have been born where raised.

Can you imagine raising a baby where you just might not eat tomorrow and the most respected medical professional you have access to is that one grandmother in the tribe that people call in to help with births?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Geisladisk posted:

Yeah no poo poo. A foal is walking within an hour of birth. Piglets will fight their siblings to get a chance to suckle.

Meanwhile baby humans need to be constantly coaxed and tricked into just loving eating, will do their utmost to make sure their parents are constantly sleep deprivated. They take months to become mobile, and once they do, they will do their best to commit suicide if you leave them alone for even a second.

Taking care of and raising what are without a doubt the most useless offspring in the animal kingdom is hard enough with a modern standard of living where food and shelter is a given, and at-will access to modern healthcare professionals. I can't loving imagine how people pulled it off in pre-agricultural hunter gatherer societies, which is where the vast majority of all babies who have been born where raised.

Can you imagine raising a baby where you just might not eat tomorrow and the most respected medical professional you have access to is that one grandmother in the tribe that people call in to help with births?

Otoh children were probably raised much more communally so you could just gently caress off and sleep while someone else looked after your kid, then take a turn doing the same for them. As opposed to now where we all sit in our own houses and complain on the internet.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

^^ but also a lot more people died too.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

sheri posted:

^^ but also a lot more people died too.

Well, yeah. But enough survived to make this weird strategy of useless infants for years and years pay off.

How old would a human child have to be before they could survive independently in the wild, I wonder. Eight, maybe? Probably more. Good job we live in groups and invented fire and pointy sticks (eventually).

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

sebzilla posted:

How old would a human child have to be before they could survive independently in the wild, I wonder. Eight, maybe? Probably more. Good job we live in groups and invented fire and pointy sticks (eventually).

Yah, the natural human weapon isn't our fists or our teeth, nor even a pointy stick, but a bunch of other humans with pointy sticks of their own.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

sebzilla posted:

Well, yeah. But enough survived to make this weird strategy of useless infants for years and years pay off.

A lot of "intelligent" animals stick with their parents/family unit for a lot longer. Heck, look at elephants: http://www.pbs.org/edens/anamalai/gentle.html

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Any recommendations on a good baby feeding/diaper tracker app? Looking for something that can easily shared and synced with my partner.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Cocks Cable posted:

Any recommendations on a good baby feeding/diaper tracker app? Looking for something that can easily shared and synced with my partner.

We use Baby Tracker and have liked it. Pretty simple to set up, sync, etc.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

I laughed pretty hard at that last bit - so true. Just the other day my 18 month old decided to launch himself backwards off the bed, good thing we had some pillows on the floor.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
One of the twins will straight up do pratfalls for people’s entertainment, the other day he was launching himself off a single step down to a living room area inside a house at a play date. Repeatedly.

You do you, buddy, but physics is gonna take over one of these days and I hope it doesn’t result in a broken arm!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Cocks Cable posted:

butros posted:

We use Baby Tracker and have liked it. Pretty simple to set up, sync, etc.

Seconding baby tracker. Even the free version rules. Now you just have to remember to log that poo poo with Parent Brain Syndrome

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Apparently, colic doesn’t even exist in lots of other cultures who carry their children around on their chests in pouches like some kind of marsupial, the child gets physical contact at all times and can feed on the breast whenever they are hungry and don’t need to wait.

I think I read that in The Happiest Baby on the Block. They also said colic really only exists in cultures like ours where we are parents but also wearing every other hat and splitting our attention.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Seconding baby tracker. Even the free version rules. Now you just have to remember to log that poo poo with Parent Brain Syndrome

Yeah I updated to paid version and my wife didn't and tbh the free version is more than fine. We just did bausch diaper tracking till she hit birthweight and now my wife just uses it to track breastfeeding and vitamin D and I used it to track bottle feeds.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

sheri posted:

Even if you do nothing at all I promise your kids will learn to sleep through the night on their own.

Yup. We never did any kind of sleep training. We bedshared and let our daughter have whatever sleep association or comfort she needed in order for us all to get the most sleep. Independence came anyway with time.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Thanks for recommendation. I am liking this Baby Tracker app. UI feels streamlined and simple enough. Plus there are options to customize.

I have another recommendation ask. What are the best private photo sharing sites/options? I want to keep pictures of my child off social media as much as possible for privacy/security reasons but of course the family wants daily photo shares and maybe to contribute as well. Facebook and Instagram are a definite absolute no. And thus ends my meager knowledge of photo sharing. What is everyone using?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Cocks Cable posted:

Thanks for recommendation. I am liking this Baby Tracker app. UI feels streamlined and simple enough. Plus there are options to customize.

I have another recommendation ask. What are the best private photo sharing sites/options? I want to keep pictures of my child off social media as much as possible for privacy/security reasons but of course the family wants daily photo shares and maybe to contribute as well. Facebook and Instagram are a definite absolute no. And thus ends my meager knowledge of photo sharing. What is everyone using?

We use a private album shared with just family in Google photos.

We tried tiny beans app for a bit but out was clunky to use compared to Google photos. Helps that we have Android phones though.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

Cocks Cable posted:

I just stuck to Glow Baby after using Glow Nurture for my pregnancy. It covers the basics, just don't wade into the community stuff or read the comments on the articles. Yeeeeeesh.

We use Tinybeans and I like it so far. It helps that I got the lifetime upgrade for free through some offer after I signed up for the Noobie box. The plus is that the grandparents can see his growth stats and stopped pestering me for them.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Google Photos with a family album is really, really good at this use case. Don't think of it like Facebook, on Google photos uploaded photos are private by default and you have to explicitly share out.

My wife and I have it setup so that all photos of our kid are automatically shared between us so we have copies and then we both can share into a family album of kid photos. When we do the whole family gets a new photo alert on their phone or Gmail and they can comment, save, etc.

They absolutely love it, hell even Grandma takes the photos and makes fridge magnets and she is not tech savvy at all.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Another vote for Google photos. Was already using it to back up all my photos, and husband and I set up auto sharing of all the pictures we take. Periodically I add pictures of our son to a shared family album for my parents to see.

I do think human babies might be so demanding as a strategic way to prevent us from having more kids and therefore they get to hoard more of the resources for themselves. Sleep deprivation + a kid in your bed = very effective birth control.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Same as far as Google photos. We're going to use it as an art archive once he starts drawing and doing crafts and poo poo.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

bollig posted:

Same as far as Google photos. We're going to use it as an art archive once he starts drawing and doing crafts and poo poo.

Try using Google's photo scan app for these, it'll take a few images, average them together to remove glare/lighting/etc. then crop and save.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sebzilla posted:

How old would a human child have to be before they could survive independently in the wild, I wonder. Eight, maybe? Probably more.

It's all a matter of statistics. I bet you can get an independently survivable 4-year-old at 4+ standard deviations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

How many 4 years olds would we have to place in the wild to achieve a 95%+ certainty level that one of them would reach adulthood? :thunk:

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Further voting for Google Photos. I literally started using it more this year as a result of our newborn as I needed something away from the normal Social Media nonsense that was high quality and explicitly shared. For the first 12 weeks I did one album of photos of our little one a week, now I'm doing them monthly and just email the new link as a reply all to the last link. Actually turning into a great collection of albums.

Regardless of what you choose: Keep a second copy of the actual jpegs from the camera on a NAS or something.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We do the same thing for photos but with an iCloud photo stream, everyone in our direct family has iPhones so that was the easy choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

The auto google movies have at times made me cry. poo poo goes by fast