Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

univbee posted:

I had the wrong numbers for XB1, admittedly (I had ~300 and thought that was current), although for PS1 classics my number is accurate, as that's the number on Japanese PSN which has long been considered the gold standard for how a previously physical-only console should resell its games digitally (they even gave away like 600 of these across like 3 months of PS+ over there). Japanese PS2 downloadables on PS3 fare a tiny bit better at 118, which is still a lame offering especially in Japan where it's still a required console if you're doing Beatmania or Dance Dance Revolution as well as for shmups.

Xbox definitely has the best backwards compatible offering this gen, but it's definitely not as good as most of the older consoles from the last 20 years.

Yeah I won't disagree with those numbers but I reserve the right to say that's lame to use Japanese numbers while USA and European numbers are tiny (European only has 147 ps1 games) and that would be the games that 90% of the English speaking audience would care about/have access to, while pretty much all of those 533 Xbox numbers are for all regions.

The real kicker will be to see if ps5 even carries over the ps4 library while Microsoft already has gone on record to say all Xbox games currently playable on Xbox one will continue to work in the future. I'd still have a Playstation for exclusives but it'd be hard to consider buying third party games on Playstation if I don't even have the confidence that I could have access to it on the next console.

Edit: and just so you can understand, I mostly said I was impressed with xboxs backwards compatibility because of things like running older games but actually better or even in an insane resolution like 4k.

I'm not as impressed by hardware bc like the ps2 inside a ps3 because yeah if you put in the hardware of a ps2 inside a ps3, then I expect to be able to play ps2 games. Same idea for gamecube/wii and wii/wiiu. I don't expect to be impressed or surprised by that.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I'd be real surprised if there was a "clean break" from PS4 to PS5.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

I'd be real surprised if there was a "clean break" from PS4 to PS5.

Id be surprised too but console manufacturers have done dumb loving things when they felt confident.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Barudak posted:

Id be surprised too but console manufacturers have done dumb loving things when they felt confident.

God knows Sony went a little bonkers after the PS2.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

God knows Sony went a little bonkers after the PS2.

It still blows my mind Microsoft looked at the guy who was involved in the completely hosed launch of the PS3 and went, yeah thats the guy to launch our next console.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Barudak posted:

It still blows my mind Microsoft looked at the guy who was involved in the completely hosed launch of the PS3 and went, yeah thats the guy to launch our next console.

[Galacy Brain] Microsoft leaned into the Third Console Curse

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I spent about 3 hours last night replaying BLACK (an OG XBOX game) on my 4k OLED tv and it was fun and I liked it. BC is cool and good.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

Xbox definitely has the best backwards compatible offering this gen, but it's definitely not as good as most of the older consoles from the last 20 years.

Game consoles released in past 20 years with backwards compatibility to any system:
PS2, PS3, 360, Wii, Wii U, Xbone, GBA, DS, 3DS, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Vita, WonderSwan Color, Game Boy Color

Those without:
Dreamcast, Xbox, Gamecube, Switch, PS4, PSP, NGage, Zodiac, Neo Geo Pocket, WonderSwan

Out of those with any backwards compatibility, most PS3s lack a significant amount of the original model's BC. The Vita stuff is a limited selection of PSP titles. The WonderSwan Color and Neo Geo Pocket Color were both cases where the color version came out about a year after the monochrome system which feels like something of a stretch to count compared to like, how a PS2 played games that were already 6 years old when it was new, or how the GBC played 9 year old titles. And of course the 360's emulation was much more limited than the Xbone and the Wii U blocked backwards compatibility with GameCube stuff for the regular consumer even though it is capable of it which is a total dick move from nintendo.

I also don't count PSP as doing backwards compatibility because it doesn't even support the whole PS1 control scheme, and you always had to rebuy the games to play them on there officially. (Also if we were to extend this back to consoles that were being sold 20 years ago you have the N64, Saturn, PS1, Game Boy at least as consoles without and Game Gear as an additional system with)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

fishmech posted:

[...] and the Wii U blocked backwards compatibility with GameCube stuff for the regular consumer even though it is capable of it which is a total dick move from nintendo.

Nintendo gonna nintend

Barudak
May 7, 2007

American McGay posted:

I spent about 3 hours last night replaying BLACK (an OG XBOX game) on my 4k OLED tv and it was fun and I liked it. BC is cool and good.

Congrats youre almost done!

Seriously its a super short game which is good because the end sucks.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fair, when I said "last 20 years" I was only looking at launch dates, so I didn't count N64, Saturn, or PS1 (and also didn't really focus attention on any manufacturer's first console).

Also I know the Game Gear hardware is more or less a Sega Master System but were the games carts actually cross-compatible in any officially-sanctioned way, or even a way that was common when the system was current?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

univbee posted:

Fair, when I said "last 20 years" I was only looking at launch dates, so I didn't count N64, Saturn, or PS1 (and also didn't really focus attention on any manufacturer's first console).

Also I know the Game Gear hardware is more or less a Sega Master System but were the games carts actually cross-compatible in any officially-sanctioned way, or even a way that was common when the system was current?

I think there was an adapter

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

Lmao, bee its loving sega! you know theres a booster cart for that poo poo.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Lmao, bee its loving sega! you know theres a booster cart for that poo poo.

I looked and yup, there is!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Game Gear was the smartphone of its time only instead of apps it was things you'd attach to it. That TV tuner was boss as hell.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Theres always something to plug into your sega never forget

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Theres always something to plug into your sega never forget

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I remain haunted by how badly designed the Panasonic Gamecube was. That might be the worst franken console Ive ever seen

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I always wanted one

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Panasonic is actually just the name of the manufacturer, the console was Panasonic's Gamecube.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Barudak posted:

I remain haunted by how badly designed the Panasonic Gamecube was. That might be the worst franken console Ive ever seen

I just looked this thing up. Pretty neat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We all make fun of the dreamcast for having the wire come out of the wrong end of the controller but the initial version of the Panasonic has the controller plug into the back of the console.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Barudak posted:

We all make fun of the dreamcast for having the wire come out of the wrong end of the controller but the initial version of the Panasonic has the controller plug into the back of the console.

Wavebirds don't need cables. :smug:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fishmech posted:

Wavebirds don't need cables. :smug:

The wavebird launched after the Q launched

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Barudak posted:

Plugging controllers in the back is sheer madness.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Barudak posted:

Wait, who was that?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

univbee posted:

I'd say the only reason that it's not as good as the older consoles is the fact that it's not put in and play. The possible improvements allowed I'd say are definitely worth mentioning.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Barudak posted:

Microsoft also hired the guy who ruined the Def Jam games to help with the Kinect so this seems par for the course.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Finster Dexter posted:

Wait, who was that?

Mattrick

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

oic, I didn't know he worked for Sony. I thought he erupted fully formed from the earth itself.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Don Mattrick worked for EA, not Sony.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Phil Harrison was the guy who worked on the PS3 and XB1 launches.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I Stamd corrected

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Any other 'boners get Blackout? Xbox stays winning doesn't seem to apply to the COD thread, everyone there has a PS4.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

What's the licensing situation around BattleTech right now? I think Microsoft owned FASA at the time but now doesn't?

Ok so here is to the best of my knowledge the who owns what in the BattleTech IP, some things may be wrong because it is super confusing:

Topps owns the whole BattleTech IP, they bought it when WizKids went under, who themselves bought it when FASA was in money trouble. The BattleTech board game is currently licensed to Catalyst Games Lab. The BattleTech novels are also published through them.

Microsoft purchased FASA Interactive in the late 90's giving them the right to the video game MechWarrior IP in perpetuity. This includes any spin offs related to the MechWarrior franchise but does not include anything BattleTech related. Microsoft closed FASA Studios in 2012, canceling the in development Crimson Skies sequel. The MechWarrior IP is currently licensed to Piranha Games Interactive(you know the guys who worked on Duke Nukem Forever), their current product is MechWarrior: Online (2012- ), with MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries due to be released in 2019. The rights lapse back to Microsoft in either 2020 or 2021.

A MechWarrior TV show was announced last year but shut down by Topps who apparently have control over everything not video game related to the BattleTech IP.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 20, 2018

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Any other 'boners get Blackout? Xbox stays winning doesn't seem to apply to the COD thread, everyone there has a PS4.

More than a few of us have it, and I have a feeling it will catch on with the regular crew once it goes for a discount. They’re all wrapped up in PUBG still (have been playing nothing else for 10 months).

Still, Ranch has it, I have it, and a bunch of newer guys that you won’t know but will like have it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BattleTech posted:

Ok so here is to the best of my knowledge the who owns what in the BattleTech IP, some things may be wrong because it is super confusing:

Topps owns the whole BattleTech IP, they bought it when WizKids went under, who themselves bought it when FASA was in money trouble. The BattleTech board game is currently licensed to Catalyst Games Lab. The BattleTech novels are also published through them.

Microsoft purchased FASA Interactive in the late 90's giving them the right to the video game MechWarrior IP in perpetuity. This includes any spin offs related to the MechWarrior franchise but does not include anything BattleTech related. Microsoft closed FASA Studios in 2012, canceling the in development Crimson Skies sequel. The MechWarrior IP is currently licensed to Piranha Games Interactive(you know the guys who worked on Duke Nukem Forever), their current product is MechWarrior: Online (2012- ), with MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries due to be released in 2019. The rights lapse back to Microsoft in either 2020 or 2021.

A MechWarrior TV show was announced last year but shut down by Topps who apparently have control over everything not video game related to the BattleTech IP.

Name post combo

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

Name post combo

Name post gamertag combo:

I really need a new MechAssault. I need it in my bones.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You like mecha stuff or just western mech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

You like mecha stuff or just western mech

Mostly western, I've tried a bunch a times to get into stuff like Armored Core and just can't do it. A big thing with me is physicality and feel, which a lot of mecha things don't have that sense of presence. Vox Machinae is currently on my to play list but I want to get a VR headset before I play it.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 20, 2018