Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Shrapnig posted:

No, and it was Spartak Moscow anyway.

He backed out as the russians weren't racist enough for big JT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

In other Villa news, rip Sir Doug Ellis. Although he did turn Villa from European champions into a second division team within 5 years of his ownership.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
Dead Doug

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Paul Gascoigne's brilliant Doug Ellis story - involving a yacht, champagne, Gary Lineker and Nigel Kennedy
England legend Gazza had a surprise encounter with the then-Aston Villa owner during a day off at the Italia '90 World Cup

Doug Ellis, the former Aston Villa chairman, who died overnight aged 94, had a fearsome reputation.

But if Paul Gascoigne's brilliant story about than man dubbed 'Deadly Doug' is anything to go by, he was also a generous soul who knew how to enjoy himself.

Ellis was given his nickname after overseeing the departures of 13 managers during his two spells at Villa Park - between 1968 and 1975 then 1982 and 2006.

Gazza's surprise encounter with the multi-millionaire came on a day off from England duties at the Italia '90 World Cup.

The Tottenham legend, now 51, told the tale in the 2011 book, Glorious: My World, Football and Me.

It involves David Platt, a yacht, Gary Lineker and his then-wife, lots of champagne, lots of food, a near death experience and renegade violinist Nigel Kennedy.

What more could you ask for?

Here's the story in full...

"On one of our days off we went down to the beach to sunbathe. David Platt had joined the squad - more of that later - and ever since we arrived hadn't stopped going on about Doug Eliis, the Aston Villa owner and Platty's boss.

"It was all, 'Doug Ellis has the best yacht. Doug Ellis is going to do this. Doug Ellis is going to do that. Doug Ellis had installed the best pitch. Doug Ellis has flown to the moon.'

"By lunchtime we'd had a few drinks, although we shouldn't have, and I decided it was time to take the p***.

"There was a big-rear end yacht anchored about three hundred yards off the beach and when I saw it I shouted, 'Ooh look, Dougie and his boat.'

"I started to swim out to it and a few of the lads followed, mainly because I said they would probably have loads of drink on board.

"As we got nearer I was calling out, 'Oh Dougie. Oh Dougie. Where are you? Just then a bloke peered over the side. 'Hello Paul.' F*** me, it was Doug Ellis.

"About eight of us clambered on board, including Gary Lineker's missus. We must have got through about thirty bottles of champagne and all of his food.

"It was brilliant. At one point I leapt on Mrs Lineker for a laugh and we both tumbled over the side and into the ocean. Fortunately she saw the funny side, but I'm not sure Gary did.

"By the time we had to leave I was smashed. We were swimming back and I was about a hundred yards from shore when I began to get tired. I decided the best thing to do was take a deep breath, dive to the seabed, give myself a moment to relax, then push up and swim back as fast as I could."Yeah I know, not the smartest decision I've made, butI was p****d.

Wait for it....Nigel Kennedy comes into the story (Image: Mirrorpix)
"As I was coming back up I must have got turned around because after resurfacing and swimming hard I looked up expecting to see the shore but discovered I was heading in the wrong direction.

"I was beginning to struggle and I panicked a bit. It was quite frightening. I started to wave my hands in the air and luckily enough a little dinghy with an outboard motor turned up.

"It was Gary Lineker and another bloke. 'Get in you daft b*****d,' he said.

"When I looked up it was Nigel Kennedy, the violinist. 'Give us a tune then, Nige,' I said. 'Handel's Water Music?' he laughed. I didn't have a clue what he was on about."

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Hmm I don't think that actually happened

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Let’s all watch my beloved Middlesbrough

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

lmao sheffield

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
plenty of time to turn this around

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
another goal of the season from adam reach

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
👆🏻😂😂😂

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
panicky stuff from dirty boro

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

haha leeds are shite

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

big danny graham

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Potter out.

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

west brom have been very bad. not sure if the break came at a bad time or just wigan being good at home

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

hes big

hes swiss

he's bought a house in diss

timm klose

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Potter spent all week talking about how big a club Villa are, how special the occasion will be, how it'll be a big test etc. and then sends out another tinkered side in a system that would make Clement and Carvalhal blush with how negative it was.

He's very lucky the narrative will continue to be how the big bad owners are handicapping him (which is why he played a fat shithouse Swede in goal again instead of the guy with the best saves record in the division).

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
gently caress leeds

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Dean Smith is the first Villa manager to get a win in his first game since Gerard Houllier in 2010. Since then we've had Alex McLeish, Paul Lambert, Tim Sherwood, Remi Garde, Roberto Di Matteo, and Steve Bruce. Urgh.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I forgot about Remi Garde, who is managing in Montreal now. Talk about a career down turn

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I forgot about Remi Garde, who is managing in Montreal now. Talk about a career down turn

I bet the titty bars are way better in Montreal than they are in the Midlands.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Bacary sagna plays for Montreal. Wtf

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
love when my team beats the shitters that are millwall at football, mm yeah

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Gary Rowett has a touchline ban for tonight after being sent off on Saturday. I wish he was banned indefinitely, the loving lovely waster.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Another 5 changes for Swansea tonight. Wonder what shape Potter's come up with this time.

van der Hoorn centre forward is my guess.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I love Norwich's kit

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Villa are sloppy as gently caress

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Villa do not deserve that one goal lead that was a poo poo half

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
I don't know how Sheffield Utd haven't scored. They're hammering us and have had a fair few really good chances.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

Meat Wagon posted:

I don't know how Sheffield Utd haven't scored. They're hammering us and have had a fair few really good chances.

There we go. They look a really good team to be fair.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Meanwhile the inferior Sheffield are getting battered by the brave Rangers Boys

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
We've somehow equalised! We don't deserve this in the slightest.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Norwich

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Haha yess

Potter waving his wand in Tony Mowbray's face.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

jack grealish is a oval office

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Dwight Gayle's a loving goblin.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
2 points between top and 6th, 6 points between top and 13th. Its a funny old league.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp

Blue Star Error posted:

2 points between top and 6th, 6 points between top and 13th. Its a funny old league.

It's a garbage league and that's why we love/tolerate it.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

SoylentCola posted:

It's a garbage the best league and that's why we love/tolerate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Ipswich have sacked Paul Hurst. Getting rid of Big Mick has gone wonderfully for them so far.