Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I guarantee that Hasbro was not going to let them use “D&D” like that.

It’s possible that pathfinder players wanted in though.

e: It’s a shame because calling it D&DSports is by far the smartest thing about the entire project.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I feel like "5e is a bad system for competition" and "let's also do pathfinder" does not follow.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I'm all in on competitive Fiasco.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I feel like "5e is a bad system for competition" and "let's also do pathfinder" does not follow.

Not really. Pathfinder certainly isn’t a system built to be competitively viable. However, the Pathfinder Society rules make it a lot clearer to run in an organized manner, and include a lot of the unbalanced stuff already being weeded out. It’s a good portion of the work already done for them, as opposed to dancing around with 5e needing a hundred pages of “ask your GM” poo poo sorted out.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

LongDarkNight posted:

I'm all in on competitive Fiasco.

DOTA world.

Roll +jungle

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Dungeon Crawl Classics Peasant Funnels are the clear choice for competitive RPGs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

clockworkjoe posted:

Dungeon Crawl Classics Peasant Funnels are the clear choice for competitive RPGs.

That's not without precedent. The published version of the Tomb of Horrors is a competitive tournament scenario, with groups scored on how far they made it in before dying.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's weird to not even acknowledge the roleplaying part in any competition. Like, not every game involves roleplaying, but isn't The World's Default Role-Playing Game supposed to include that?

Like, maybe there's a dungeon crawl where you all explore a similar dungeon, have a big fight at the end that all surviving groups participate in somehow, and then a scene at the end where you state your case to the panel for why your group contributed more than other groups in the big fight and thus deserves more reward money, as a small but not insignificant multiplier at the end.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Plutonis posted:

It is a Replay of a Sword World campaign, yes.

I thought it was a Replay of D&D? It came out in the 80's before Sword World was ever published.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Adding subjective elements to judging sounds like it'd make D&Dsports even more of a nightmare to balance than it already is.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just lol if you are not already training a crew to dominate the Ars Magica circuit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just lol if you are not already training a crew to dominate the Ars Magica circuit.

my squad has been training for the WoD track for years, by which I mean like half of us never outgrew goth phase but hey now we can profit off it right?

Right?

gently caress! My parents were right!

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I'm snorting Aderall right now.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

clockworkjoe posted:

They've had official DCC tournaments at the past several Gencons. The 2017 module just released for home play, and you can upload your results to their site. It's pretty neat, but not worth watching other people play.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Finster Dexter posted:

I thought it was a Replay of D&D? It came out in the 80's before Sword World was ever published.

You are basically right; the setting was created as rules-agnostic, but the replay was played mostly with D&D (with some one-shots with other systems). Sword World is a system that uses the same setting used in Record of Lodoss War, and there has been plenty of published replays of games using that system, but Record of Lodoss War itself is not one of them.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ooops, chicken before egg situation it seems.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

So what I'm getting from this is that I just need Disney to buy up Hasbro to get one step closer to Dream Park?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RudeCat posted:

Disney to buy up Hasbro

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Biomute posted:

You are basically right; the setting was created as rules-agnostic, but the replay was played mostly with D&D (with some one-shots with other systems). Sword World is a system that uses the same setting used in Record of Lodoss War, and there has been plenty of published replays of games using that system, but Record of Lodoss War itself is not one of them.

I know I've mentioned this before but for anyone wondering, after Record of Lodoss War got decently big, Group SNE approached TSR to see about entering some kind of official relationship for the right to publish works using the D&D rules and TSR refused. So Group SNE shrugged and made Sword World to use in future replays. This meant that Group SNE pretty much created the market for replays, then also cornered the Japanese market for tabletop RPGs in the 80s and created one of those mystical ~trans media franchises~ tabletop creators seem so hungry for.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
There are already competitive minis games and they don't do much as a spectator sport. What makes anyone think that watching a dnd battle arena will be better than watching a Warhammer tournament?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Jimbozig posted:

There are already competitive minis games and they don't do much as a spectator sport. What makes anyone think that watching a dnd battle arena will be better than watching a Warhammer tournament?

Nobody thinks this except for the idiots throwing money at anything vaguely e-sports sounding to try to cash in on it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbozig posted:

the fat cats at the top don't think about this

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

gradenko_2000 posted:

the fat cats at the top don't think about this

It's entirely possible the fat cats at the top don't know what a warhammer is.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Everyone knows that the only good RPG for combat simulators is D&D 4e, the best and only good edition of D&D.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ratoslov posted:

It's entirely possible the fat cats at the top don't know what a warhammer is.

The game, or the weapon?

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

I know it won't happen, but now I'm imagining competitive dnd esports being like one of those bizarre early 90s gameshows, like Knightmare. Where you have a bunch of nerds who awkwardly sit in front of the camera and read out their scripted options, and then the camera cuts to a poorly rendered cgi or greenscreen of their actions being played out in a really stilted manner.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

paradoxGentleman posted:

The game, or the weapon?

yes

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Nuns with Guns posted:

I know I've mentioned this before but for anyone wondering, after Record of Lodoss War got decently big, Group SNE approached TSR to see about entering some kind of official relationship for the right to publish works using the D&D rules and TSR refused. So Group SNE shrugged and made Sword World to use in future replays. This meant that Group SNE pretty much created the market for replays, then also cornered the Japanese market for tabletop RPGs in the 80s and created one of those mystical ~trans media franchises~ tabletop creators seem so hungry for.

As far as I can tell they never used Sword World themselves. They used Record of Lodoss War Companion, also published by them, the same year. The setting is the same, but the rules are somewhat different. (Parn is a fighter/ranger in the former and a knight in the latter).

thotsky fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 19, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC the anime has a few points where you can probably tell they did a system change.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Biomute posted:

As far as I can tell they never used Sword World themselves. They used Record of Lodoss War Companion, also published by them, the same year. The setting is the same, but the rules are somewhat different. (Parn is a fighter/ranger in the former and a knight in the latter).

They didn't use Sword World for Record of Lodoss War, no, I meant Sword World was put out after to use in new replays and sell to fans.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Laughing my rear end off at one of the people that they accepted for RPGSports and confident that the entire thing is just an irredeemable wreck I can comfortably watch from far away.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Hostile V posted:

Laughing my rear end off at one of the people that they accepted for RPGSports and confident that the entire thing is just an irredeemable wreck I can comfortably watch from far away.

Where can we see the lists of... players? Performers?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Flavivirus posted:

Where can we see the lists of... players? Performers?
https://rpgsports.tv/

Roll on down to the Twitter feed on the page but spoilers it's this.

https://twitter.com/RPGSportsTV/status/1053239602302083078

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
boogie is in the team of the beholder

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

'DnD Champion?' I'm sorry but you cannot win a roleplaying game. :colbert:

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Dawgstar posted:

'DnD Champion?' I'm sorry but you cannot win a roleplaying game. :colbert:

'DnD sex icon' is a phrase that probably should not exist, but here we are. Also laughing at Boogie being included, this trainwreck will be glorious.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Hostile V posted:

https://rpgsports.tv/

Roll on down to the Twitter feed on the page but spoilers it's this.

https://twitter.com/RPGSportsTV/status/1053239602302083078

My god... I went in expecting the worst and somehow this goes beyond that.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

My god... I went in expecting the worst and somehow this goes beyond that.
Love to see him just take 10 at everything all the time because the truth is in the middle.

(all jokes aside Boogie can gently caress off and die)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SilverMike posted:

'DnD sex icon' is a phrase that probably should not exist, but here we are. Also laughing at Boogie being included, this trainwreck will be glorious.

While Boogie is... yeah, the one that really raises an eyebrow is the fact they have an analyst. I don't know about you, but I would chew my foot off at the ankle to get away from somebody saying things like 'Hey really should have gone with Power Attack Cotton.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I looked at that guy's twitter and now I want to hit that man in his stupid face