Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
All I can think of is advanced hair spray technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Ooooh, ooh, hair crimpers!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Cassette tapes and players, both 19" rack sized and Sony Walkman size

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yo, hold up, they gotta find a loving Talk Boy and a Lite Brite. This absolutely has to happen.

Okay, these are some drat good ideas!!!!!! :dance: I can't wait for the next session. I do gotta revise the adventure front, though...it's proving hard to translate Grim Portents into dungeon-level Dangers, because they're super vague and kinda all-encompassing. I should maybe put together some setpieces or something relating to the GPs, and maybe actually finish reading Perilous Wilds. It's just so hard to keep the attention to read through a PDF instead of a physical book...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The party is likely to finish up a Dungeon that they’ve delved into next session, but the Adventure front isn’t yet resolved. I’ll have to think up more opportunities and setpieces for the Grim Portents to advance, keeping in mind the central concept of the region (area?) - dead god body. I think the plan will look like this:

- Write up an almanac for the region (with areas, sites, discoveries, etc.)
- Tie the region/area/site details to the Grim Portents
- Populate the Discoveries and Dangers with thematic things and the monsters and people I’ve thought up

Is this too much pre-planning? Should I be involving the players with this, even though they don’t really have a connection to the region they’re in? I can always zoom out further to the part of the world they’re concerned with.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

milk moosie posted:

The party is likely to finish up a Dungeon that they’ve delved into next session, but the Adventure front isn’t yet resolved. I’ll have to think up more opportunities and setpieces for the Grim Portents to advance, keeping in mind the central concept of the region (area?) - dead god body. I think the plan will look like this:

- Write up an almanac for the region (with areas, sites, discoveries, etc.)
- Tie the region/area/site details to the Grim Portents
- Populate the Discoveries and Dangers with thematic things and the monsters and people I’ve thought up

Is this too much pre-planning? Should I be involving the players with this, even though they don’t really have a connection to the region they’re in? I can always zoom out further to the part of the world they’re concerned with.

As long as it seems likely to you that they'll stay in the area, as opposed to flogging everything for coin and heading to a different continent to corner the mustard market, go for it.

Out of curiosity, what part of the world are they concerned with, and why?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nothing yet, they seem invested in the ruins themselves. I’m bringing in some elements of their backstory and homelands to the area, so it’s not as though the other stuff isn’t present. Hope I get a chance to use that as things go along.

What’s really important is to figure out discoveries and dangers that advance the Grim Portents - that makes it easy for me to push those along. At any point in time, when I bring in a danger or discovery, I should think: “how does this advance an impending doom?” And I’ll need to build up a library of them for that.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 14, 2018

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Here's a playbook I've been working on. I think it's in a good enough place to get some outside feedback.

The Gormet

Credit to gnome7 and anyone else I lifted partial or whole moves from.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

whydirt posted:

Here's a playbook I've been working on. I think it's in a good enough place to get some outside feedback.

The Gormet

Credit to gnome7 and anyone else I lifted partial or whole moves from.

I've left some comments on the starting moves. Also, thanks for getting me to check up on Dungeon Meshi again.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Is there a list of example heritage moves out there somewhere? My players, uh, need some help.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
there's the ones on the sheets, they're good for a lot with a bit of alteration

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Overemotional Robot posted:

Is there a list of example heritage moves out there somewhere? My players, uh, need some help.

Yes, it's spread out over the various monster chapters.

If you want monster moves for human characters, Number Appearing might have your back, and the creator has posted these monster moves from a human heritage.

Keep in mind that when a player spends heritage hold to activate a monster move, they're making that move "as a monster", and it's in your hands as DM to determine exactly what happens as a result, which could feed back into a roll on the player's part.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 15, 2018

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Glazius posted:

I've left some comments on the starting moves. Also, thanks for getting me to check up on Dungeon Meshi again.

Thanks for the feedback! I clarified how some of the starting moves work, including making an explicit "wondrous" tag to use with ingredients that can make enchanted food.

The background moves are the part of the playbook I am least satisfied with, so I wasn't surprised to see your comment there. My intention was to have one represent knifework and other purely physical skill in the kitchen, one represent knowledge and precision, and the last represent intuition and oral tradition. Those seemed to line up to DEX, INT, and WIS, so I ended up with a couple of stat replacement moves mostly from being unimaginative. I'd love to get some ideas of alternative background moves if anyone has ideas!

whydirt fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 17, 2018

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Hey thread. So I've been running my sky whale adventure and it's been going well, if slowly. I'd like some advice though on what to do with one PC who made a cool, in character choice.

I'll make this as short as possible. We established shadow magic in our world, which is powerful but corrupts the user and becomes addictive the more you use it. The party stumbled across a shadow magic user who was summoning and binding monsters from the shadow realm.
They killed the guy and nicked an ancient tome he was using to learn all his magic from. They had to use the tome to rescue an NPC friend and during the ritual they sacrificed it to get the NPC back. However before the ritual finished I turned to the party witch and told her how much euphoric shadow magic made her feel and how angry she was at the loss of the book. The player was like 'oh no this is a terrible idea, but I love this" and bargained for the book back so the witch could cast more shadow magic

As the GM I was happy for them to lose the book as a trade for the NPC... But I actually think the corrupting nature of the book and magic is really interesting, but I think I need a mechanic to model this. Or even just make the player worry something awful will happen if they keep using.
So I was thinking that every time they try to use shadow magic, successfully or not, I use a black marker to put a huge black, permanent mark on their character sheet. What I haven't though about is how I can use this. Maybe roll +black marks for a shadow magic move? But I need a way to use black marks against the player too
Any cool PbtA ideas?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

whydirt posted:

Thanks for the feedback! I clarified how some of the starting moves work, including making an explicit "wondrous" tag to use with ingredients that can make enchanted food.

The background moves are the part of the playbook I am least satisfied with, so I wasn't surprised to see your comment there. My intention was to have one represent knifework and other purely physical skill in the kitchen, one represent knowledge and precision, and the last represent intuition and oral tradition. Those seemed to line up to DEX, INT, and WIS, so I ended up with a couple of stat replacement moves mostly from being unimaginative. I'd love to get some ideas of alternative background moves if anyone has ideas!

I was okay with the other two. For the INT one, my first instinct was something like... "You think in flavor and aroma instead of sight and sound. You can apply Connoisseur to anything you are able, and willing, to sniff and taste."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

kaffo posted:

As the GM I was happy for them to lose the book as a trade for the NPC... But I actually think the corrupting nature of the book and magic is really interesting, but I think I need a mechanic to model this. Or even just make the player worry something awful will happen if they keep using.
So I was thinking that every time they try to use shadow magic, successfully or not, I use a black marker to put a huge black, permanent mark on their character sheet. What I haven't though about is how I can use this. Maybe roll +black marks for a shadow magic move? But I need a way to use black marks against the player too
Any cool PbtA ideas?

You have soullight=Wisdom. When you cast shadow magic, or wake from unquiet dreams, spend any amount of soullight and roll +soullight spent. On a hit, the shadows make your dreams into a fleeting reality, but at a price; on a 10+, pick one. On a 7-9, pick 2. On a 6-, the shadows claim 1d4 soullight, in addition to what the GM says.
  • The shadows demand more, lose 1d4 soullight.
  • The shadows decide what forms they take, and following up means Defying Danger.
  • The shadows demand another heart. Share this move with someone present. (GMs will decide what this means for their characters.)
How do you return the light to your soul? What happens when it runs out? Well, you can mark Confused to put half your Wisdom back in the pool (round down). But that's not really a long-term solution. Play to find out!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

kaffo posted:

Any cool PbtA ideas?
I really like the idea of making indelible marks on their sheet and then using them. Here's what I'd do:

When you use shadow magic, roll+black marks. I'm imaging this is similar to Ritual, so add "gain another black mark" to the list they select from, and if they roll a 6-, always apply a black mark.

The trick here is that going over +3 with PbtA stats messes with the math. So you want it to roll over - when they get a 4th black mark, cross the preceding three out and reset them to +0. They mark XP, but they also have to pick a permanent change to their character from a list. These don't need to be mechanical changes but they should be significant. Their eyes turn black, they find direct sunlight painful, other thematic things that tie into the use of shadow magic.

If you think resetting on every 4th mark is too quick - and I suspect it might be - have it reset on every seventh, but have the bonus be black marks halved and rounded down. This may be more thematic as well - the odd numbered black marks don't increase your bonus to the roll but get you closer, encouraging another hit to get to the sweet +1.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
You can look it up Urban Shadows. It sounds like you want a much more direct corruption mechanic, not trying to encourage or discourage a behavior.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I would create a Grim Portents track which ends in "A PC is irredeemably corrupted by black magic" and write up a move like the Wizard's ritual ability, where the price always advances the Grim Portents track.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, the Corruption mechanic from Urban Shadows is right up your alley. You want Corruption because it gives you access to cool, powerful new moves (which of course generally add to your Corruption when you use them), but at the same time you don't want Corruption because it has some increasingly bad narrative and mechanical ramifications.

Essentially, Corruption is like a parallel XP/Advancement track.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Thanks all for the advice, these all sound great fun!
I'll go read up on the above too, sounds interesting and will hopefully give some refinement to the shadow magic move too

On a tangent, this guy playing the witch said to me "I really like the Witch, but the fact you don't have to roll at all on brewing is bullshit. I want to make more difficult choices on partial successes and awful things to happen when I gently caress it up" So his Witch is now technically mechanically worse, but more interesting. :swoon:

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Well I mean regarding Ritual and the Witch's brewing move you can easily incur a risk and force a Defy Danger or similar, one of the possible provisos speaks of risks after all (at least for Ritual, I can't remember the Witch's brew ones)

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
Has anyone messed around with introducing an advantage/disadvantage mechanic to Dungeon World in the style of D&D 5e?

I'm starting up a new Dungeon World campaign soon for some friends who are mostly players of 5e and I was thinking about whether or not it might be a useful tool for getting them to think about the fiction more when playing. Give advantage for rolls where the characters have worked their way into superior fictional positioning and disadvantage for particularly foolhardy/tough rolls.

It might also just be too fiddly and a big pain to keep in mind, but I thought I'd see if anyone else had done it already.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

MagnesiumB posted:

Has anyone messed around with introducing an advantage/disadvantage mechanic to Dungeon World in the style of D&D 5e?

I'm starting up a new Dungeon World campaign soon for some friends who are mostly players of 5e and I was thinking about whether or not it might be a useful tool for getting them to think about the fiction more when playing. Give advantage for rolls where the characters have worked their way into superior fictional positioning and disadvantage for particularly foolhardy/tough rolls.

It might also just be too fiddly and a big pain to keep in mind, but I thought I'd see if anyone else had done it already.

Gnome did something along this line in Fellowship. If you have Hope you roll 3d6 and take the two highest, or with Despair you take the lowest two. Also, Fellowship is great.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I've been digging around in Dungeon World stuff and I really like the system and a lot of the playbooks I've found. Inverse World in particular seems really cool. But I'm having trouble really picturing how I'd GM a game in my head, since I know that's the only way to get my DnD 5e group to give it a shot. It would be perfect for how we play, since we tend to pull off weird maneuvers that the DnD rules kind of strain to keep up with, and failing those without an interesting consequence is boring. But something just isn't clicking for me I guess? I think playing in an actual oneshot session or two might help but I'm not sure how to go about doing that.

Do people have any particular tips on how to approach the actual GMing for this game? I get the improv concepts and how you collaborate with the players to a degree but I'm kind of blanking on the actual structure of how to guide them through scenes and how to pace combat and stuff.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 18, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Sea Lily posted:

I've been digging around in Dungeon World stuff and I really like the system and a lot of the playbooks I've found. Inverse World in particular seems really cool. But I'm having trouble really picturing how I'd GM a game in my head, since I know that's the only way to get my DnD 5e group to give it a shot. It would be perfect for how we play, since we tend to pull off weird maneuvers that the DnD rules kind of strain to keep up with, and failing those without an interesting consequence is boring. But something just isn't clicking for me I guess? I think playing in an actual oneshot session or two might help but I'm not sure how to go about doing that.

Do people have any particular tips on how to approach the actual GMing for this game? I get the improv concepts and how you collaborate with the players to a degree but I'm kind of blanking on the actual structure of how to guide them through scenes and how to pace combat and stuff.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ypk10uede2sgri6/Dungeon+World+Guide+pdf+version+1.2.pdf

read this

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Yeah I've read that over twice and it helps me understand the game as a whole but I feel like I'm missing something about the nitty gritty bits like moment to moment GM moves and handling shifting the focus around in combat

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

So I was alarmed at the end of my last session that a player selected a level 5+ move, because I didn't think we were anywhere near there. Some factors I can see clearly in hindsight - a combination of overcautious players and my own limited mental energy meant this last adventure is probably going to be wrapped up after 7 sessions, which obviously adds a lot more exp thanks to the end of session moves. Others, such as players failing a ton of dice rolls, I have a less clear idea how to handle. Should I be making much harder moves on failed dice rolls to try and de-incentivize them? I already feel like I'm only rolling for important stuff. Maybe my combat is taking too long, and that's where all the failed rolls are coming from? But on the other hand the players seem to dig it and they all picked combat heavy playbooks.

My other concern isn't just about pacing but is about, well, long-term character growth. This is sadly probably the longest running campaign I've run, and we only started mid summer. If one of my PCs hit level 5 before the end of the second adventure, where can I go from here? Does Dungeon World have advice for levels above 10? I guess I could steal AW's "pick a new playbook" or retire a character thing, but the latter kind of seems against the spirit of epic fantasy and, to be honest, I'm not even sure we'll get to epic fantasy before they hit level 10. Any suggestions?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Sea Lily posted:

Yeah I've read that over twice and it helps me understand the game as a whole but I feel like I'm missing something about the nitty gritty bits like moment to moment GM moves and handling shifting the focus around in combat

Moment-to-moment GM moves (in combat) come from understanding the NPCs and monsters you're running. Would they break and run? Would they go for a sneaky backstab? Have them do that! The GM moves are suggestions of broad types, I usually look at them when I'm stumped for a 7-9 defy danger result. A good go-to is to see what the character's value and then put that in danger. Remember for all these games, NPCs especially are to be treated like "a stolen car." If players bond with a sidekick, cackle manically and shiv them in the guts. Will they abandon the mission to get them healed? Stuff like that. Works for items too!

Pacing in combat requires a ton less thought than you seem to think it does. Is someone sitting a little too quietly? Have a monster attack their character. Is someone blurting out something cool? See what happens! Is someone blurting out something cool who just did a thing? Tell them "hold on a sec" and then get back to them after making another character do action. There's a bit of a tendency in dungeon world for the boldest players to have more "turns" but honestly, that's okay - some players really do wanna play the wallflower thief type. And anyway, more turns for a PC means more chances for them to take damage, which will eventually rope in your more passive PCs to either heal them or pick up their slack.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Sea Lily posted:

But I'm having trouble really picturing how I'd GM a game in my head, since I know that's the only way to get my DnD 5e group to give it a shot.
Paging Overemotional Robot, Overemotional Robot report to the thread please.

We did a "Dungeon World GM Boot-Camp" on Roll20 a couple of months ago to address exactly this issue - give people real examples of "how it works in play" in a setting where people can stop, ask questions, etc. Unfortunately, the audio for the 2.5 hour session crapped out after the first 9 minutes. :cripes: Maybe it's time to do it again?

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Digital Osmosis posted:

So I was alarmed at the end of my last session that a player selected a level 5+ move, because I didn't think we were anywhere near there. Some factors I can see clearly in hindsight - a combination of overcautious players and my own limited mental energy meant this last adventure is probably going to be wrapped up after 7 sessions, which obviously adds a lot more exp thanks to the end of session moves. Others, such as players failing a ton of dice rolls, I have a less clear idea how to handle. Should I be making much harder moves on failed dice rolls to try and de-incentivize them? I already feel like I'm only rolling for important stuff. Maybe my combat is taking too long, and that's where all the failed rolls are coming from? But on the other hand the players seem to dig it and they all picked combat heavy playbooks.

My other concern isn't just about pacing but is about, well, long-term character growth. This is sadly probably the longest running campaign I've run, and we only started mid summer. If one of my PCs hit level 5 before the end of the second adventure, where can I go from here? Does Dungeon World have advice for levels above 10? I guess I could steal AW's "pick a new playbook" or retire a character thing, but the latter kind of seems against the spirit of epic fantasy and, to be honest, I'm not even sure we'll get to epic fantasy before they hit level 10. Any suggestions?

I can't comment on long term levelling beyond retiring characters, picking new playbooks or using compendium classes
But as for your first question about levelling fast, it means the system is doing it's job in my opinion. I feel that the "xp for failing" thing is an inventive for players to "do". Yes your hard moves should be hard though. I had to do some serious overhaul in my game to be harder in my PCs but it works so well.

There is a balance though, you should not let them roll unless you feel it's fits the description of the move, even if they beg you. And try to consolidate as many rolls into one as you can.
But tldr; your players are doing things, they roll to do things, they'll be getting xp for doing stuff. And yes, I also find that this means some players get widly more xp than others...but really I can just turn to them and be like "well, just do more things?" luckily xp isn't that big a deal in DW

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Remember that leveling should take longer as you get to higher levels not just because of higher XP requirements, but because your players should have fewer misses due to higher base stats and more conditional +1 forward bonuses.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

That Old Tree posted:

Gnome did something along this line in Fellowship. If you have Hope you roll 3d6 and take the two highest, or with Despair you take the lowest two. Also, Fellowship is great.

Several community hacks, including DW Unlimited and Stonetop, have gone the 3d6 route as well, in some cases wholesale replacing +1/-1 forward/ongoing and the bonus/penalty from Aid with advantage/disadvantage.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Digital Osmosis posted:

Does Dungeon World have advice for levels above 10?

Yeah, "beyond 10th level" on p. 29 has you covered. It's mostly the AW non-advance options: swap playbooks, get a new one as an apprentice, retire to safety.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Glazius posted:

Yeah, "beyond 10th level" on p. 29 has you covered. It's mostly the AW non-advance options: swap playbooks, get a new one as an apprentice, retire to safety.

Really the best thing sometimes is just to stop advancement. Like at level 10 you are the peak of your profession, so there is no more room to grow. Just keep role playing your cool character and don't worry about grubbing for dice rolls to fail.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ilor posted:

We did a "Dungeon World GM Boot-Camp" on Roll20 a couple of months ago to address exactly this issue - give people real examples of "how it works in play" in a setting where people can stop, ask questions, etc. Unfortunately, the audio for the 2.5 hour session crapped out after the first 9 minutes. :cripes: Maybe it's time to do it again?

I’m in, if we do.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ilor posted:

I'm good for another round. I'll see about recording a backup audio stream.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Could someone clarify how the stun tag/non-lethal damage works? How does the non-lethal damage stack with regular damage, if at all? Why track the non-lethal damage if you already get a stun effect from the attack itself?

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Hey all, just caught up with the thread. I would totally be down for another of the camps... If someone else has recording duty. I am apparently an AV moron and did something wrong last time. I felt really dumb about that.

Since school has started back my time is a bit more limited than it was in the summer (just started a tabletop gaming club at my school and had over 50 kids sign and show up) but I could organize something if there's interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

whydirt posted:

Could someone clarify how the stun tag/non-lethal damage works? How does the non-lethal damage stack with regular damage, if at all? Why track the non-lethal damage if you already get a stun effect from the attack itself?

The Stunned debility is a separate thing from stunning/non-lethal damage.

The Stunned debility (-1 INT ongoing) is a long term effect that comes from some appropriate fictional source that leaves you confused or addled for a long time. Examples, might be a mind flayer sucking on your brain or being injected with a poison that leaves you confused or hallucinating for an extended period. Removing the debility requires magic or several days of rest.

The Stun tag causes stunning or non-lethal damage, but does not give the Stunned debility. You can also dictate that certain actions or fictional effects can cause non-lethal damage, e.g. the PC stating they are trying to knock the target out rather than kill them. Taking this type of damage just means the target is temporarily confused or dazed. Think of it as taking a head blow and "getting your bell rung." PCs must make a Defy Danger to act while stunned in this way and NPCs stagger around dazed as fictionally appropriate. The effect lasts as long as the fiction dictates, e.g. until you can shake it off. Notice there is nothing in the rulebook with the Stun tag.

As GM you can allow enough non-lethal attacks to knock out a target if fictionally appropriate.

Some folks house rule that there is an optional non-lethal damage track. They will play it one of two ways - If non-lethal damage exceeds (1) starting HP or (2) current HP, the target is knocked out.