Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Man, no wonder intel didn't do this earlier. The power usage really is bizarre, especially comparing the 9900k and the 9700k. 100mhz and turning HT on adds FIFTY watts of peak power usage? Like... what?

In the end, its performance in stuff like encoding is pretty outrageous. It's beating the 10 core 7900X and 12 core Threadripper 1920X in a lot of those tests which is crazy. But for gaming, there really is no point.

I bet most people that buy this will use it for gaming, and it kinda seems like a waste there. Really, the most logical gaming part of the new ones is the the 9600K... the only thing that would make it better would be HT enabled. Huh, wonder if such a thing exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
feeling very good about being a delidded 8700K haver right now

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TheFluff posted:

feeling very good about being a delidded 8700K haver right now

Feeling like a dope that I didn't jump on the 8086k deal a couple weeks ago

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
I haven't felt the need to upgrade my 6600k (running with a braindead OC to 4.5ghz) yet, and I really don't see any reason to even consider the 9th gen. The wait continues.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I'm probably going to get the 9900k but this does seem like a bad year for hardware, everything is slightly faster and 50% more expensive. I can get a 9900k for 620CAD through work so the intel tax for me is $240 compared to a 2700k with a taichi motherboard.

edit: I forgot the 2700x comes with a cooler and I was getting a d15 for the intel and forgot a rebate so the intel tax is more like $380 drat.

Perplx fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 19, 2018

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

fargom posted:

I haven't felt the need to upgrade my 6600k (running with a braindead OC to 4.5ghz) yet, and I really don't see any reason to even consider the 9th gen. The wait continues.

Yeah I have a serious case of the upgrade bug and my stupid lizard brain is constantly nagging me to buy a 2700x but I really can't justify it since only 1 game has hit all 100% on my 6600K at 4K60 (AS:Origins), the rest is bottlenecked by the GPU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
so are the reviews out now? seems like from what y'all are saying if you get a 9xxx series chip you better run some crazy watercooling setup or everything will melt. is that accurate?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

axeil posted:

so are the reviews out now? seems like from what y'all are saying if you get a 9xxx series chip you better run some crazy watercooling setup or everything will melt. is that accurate?

Tom's Hardware used a watercooler. They OC'd to 5.0 at 1.33v, used a -200MHz AVX offset, and prime95 hit a sustained 95C. The thing sucks a ton of power, as it's essentially an 8th gen with two more cores and additional cache. It was using 250 watts at load with these settings. The soldered lid seems all but required for the thing to exist.

The 9900k at 5.0 performs almost exactly the same as the 8700k at 4.9 in most gaming tests.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The i5-9600K is most likely perfectly fine under air cooling. For gaming there is very little reason to buy anything more expensive than that. If you want 16 threads the Ryzen 7 2700 offers an amazing deal at $250. The only reason to buy a 9900K is if you're doing something incredibly specific and weird like streaming a very single thread-bound game like DotA2, using x264 encoding on the CPU, and you're comfortable with blowing several hundred dollars extra instead of using very slightly lower quality encoding settings.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Once it actually gets here, I'll be pairing a 9900 with an h150i. I'll let you all know what temps are like when I do (I'm rocking an old Corsair 800D with bitFenix Pro fans on the back and bottom intakes).

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

eames posted:

Well here we go, 10 Celsius temperature difference between solder and liquid metal at 4.8 GHz 1.25V, though the delidding seems not much harder than with regular TIM

e: Ha nevermind, apparently the die is twice as thick and „die lapping“ is a thing now if you want optimal cooling.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=r5Doo-zgyQs

This video is very interesting. The die thickness is a big head-scratcher.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe the heatspreader is thinner and so they needed to increase the die thickness? Dunno. Increasing the package thickness is good because they thinned it out on Skylake leading to deformed CPU packages in some cases.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TheFluff posted:

The i5-9600K is most likely perfectly fine under air cooling. For gaming there is very little reason to buy anything more expensive than that. If you want 16 threads the Ryzen 7 2700 offers an amazing deal at $250. The only reason to buy a 9900K is if you're doing something incredibly specific and weird like streaming a very single thread-bound game like DotA2, using x264 encoding on the CPU, and you're comfortable with blowing several hundred dollars extra instead of using very slightly lower quality encoding settings.

I play a lot of Paradox games and they seem to slow down horribly with my i5 4690k so I wanted to at least go to an i7, possibly an i9 if it really helps.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Cygni posted:

In the end, its performance in stuff like encoding is pretty outrageous. It's beating the 10 core 7900X and 12 core Threadripper 1920X in a lot of those tests which is crazy. But for gaming, there really is no point.
I do a bunch of HEVC encoding and am not willing to pay $500+ total (includes new cooling and a new case to accommodate the heat) over a 2700X for maybe 30% faster encoding on top of potential heat issues. Maybe for pros that actually do video work for money but I just do HEVC encodes and some rudimentary computer vision tasks as a hobby. For that stuff, I’ll just throw my data into GCP, process what I need via the Skylake X CPUs on-demand for about $.30, get my results back for maybe $.13, and that will suffice for my needs (arguably even better)

It does seem cool that the 9900k allows turbo boosting of 2X cores making it actually useful in real computers that have background tasks. Maybe next generation will work out well.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

redeyes posted:

Maybe the heatspreader is thinner and so they needed to increase the die thickness? Dunno. Increasing the package thickness is good because they thinned it out on Skylake leading to deformed CPU packages in some cases.

In the video they sanded down the die and the heatspreader still worked fine, and they got much better temperatures. He speculates that they needed it thicker for the soldering process, but if that's the case, Intel traded a dollar for 75 cents with the switch from paste to solder.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm conflicted - I'm still within the return window for most of what I've already bought. I still have about a week before 30 days is up on the 2x16 kit I ordered, and my 9900K hasn't shipped yet. Even if it did, I ordered from Amazon and I have a 30 day return window where I can just take it back to one of the two Amazon Books stores around DC. Really the only thing I have coming that can't be easily returned is the Evolv X I just kind of impulse ordered, and that I honestly want to keep because it just looks like a really, really nice case. I'm also past my window for the PSU I bought, but honestly I needed a new one of those anyway and got a really good price on it.

~Decisions, decisions~.

Though I do wonder if this is why EVGA's taking their sweet time getting the Z390 DARK out - they realize making a top-of-the-line hobbyist overclocker board for the 9900K might be a fool's errand since it doesn't really have much higher to go without using exotic cooling. I honestly wonder if dropping to the 9700K and going with the ASUS Z390 WS Pro isn't the better course of action. :shrug:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

axeil posted:

I play a lot of Paradox games and they seem to slow down horribly with my i5 4690k so I wanted to at least go to an i7, possibly an i9 if it really helps.

I don't think it does. AFAIK most Paradox games (with the possible exception of HoI4) are mainly bottlenecked on singlethread performance. OC your 4690K to 4.5GHz if you can and if you're not satisfied with that get a 9600K and overclock it to 5GHz. Six cores are still more than enough for the foreseeable future.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 19, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TheFluff posted:

I don't think it does. AFAIK most Paradox games (with the possible exception of HoI4) are mainly bottlenecked on singlethread performance. OC your 4690K to 4.5GHz if you can and if you're not satisfied with that get a 9600K and overclock it to 5GHz. Six cores are still more than enough for the foreseeable future.

Hm, thanks for this. I'm going to wait and see if in a few months anyone has done any HOI4/Stellaris/CK2 benchmarks between all the chips to make my decision.

The i9 does seem like overkill though after reading through Anandtech's review.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm conflicted - I'm still within the return window for most of what I've already bought. I still have about a week before 30 days is up on the 2x16 kit I ordered, and my 9900K hasn't shipped yet. Even if it did, I ordered from Amazon and I have a 30 day return window where I can just take it back to one of the two Amazon Books stores around DC. Really the only thing I have coming that can't be easily returned is the Evolv X I just kind of impulse ordered, and that I honestly want to keep because it just looks like a really, really nice case. I'm also past my window for the PSU I bought, but honestly I needed a new one of those anyway and got a really good price on it.

~Decisions, decisions~.

Though I do wonder if this is why EVGA's taking their sweet time getting the Z390 DARK out - they realize making a top-of-the-line hobbyist overclocker board for the 9900K might be a fool's errand since it doesn't really have much higher to go without using exotic cooling. I honestly wonder if dropping to the 9700K and going with the ASUS Z390 WS Pro isn't the better course of action. :shrug:

There's always the 8700k, which is in stock in at amazon for MSRP. And there are plenty of of good 370 boards out there that are cheaper than the 390 stuff.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

il serpente cosmico posted:

There's always the 8700k, which is in stock in at amazon for MSRP. And there are plenty of of good 370 boards out there that are cheaper than the 390 stuff.

I'd stay with a Z390 board. I do think I'm going to drop down to a 9700K, though. The thermals seem way better.

Of course, now I have to hope the AMEX points I used on the 9900K through Amazon get refunded, so I can use those in conjunction with a ~$95 gift code.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 19, 2018

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Seeing all this makes me glad I didn’t wait and just jumped on the 2700X train right away.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
Work/Watt is in line with everything else. Same amount of work in a shorter period of time means higher heat output during that shorter period :shrug:

AVX stress tests as a measure of power consumption are still dumb though.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Are the thermals on the 9700k much better than the 9900k? Haven’t seen much info between the two so far.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd stay with a Z390 board. I do think I'm going to drop down to a 9700K, though. The thermals seem way better.

Of course, now I have to hope the AMEX points I used on the 9900K through Amazon get refunded, so I can use those in conjunction with a ~$95 gift code.

Has anyone seen what the thermals on a 9900K look like without HT on?

eames
May 9, 2009

il serpente cosmico posted:

He speculates that they needed it thicker for the soldering process, but if that's the case, Intel traded a dollar for 75 cents with the switch from paste to solder.

Intel never wanted to switch, the reviewers and consumers put a lot of pressure on them with the toothpaste memes and all. I’m not going to lie, I also wanted soldered CPUs back but so far it doesn’t look like it was worth it.

Zen 2 will be super interesting because Intel the 9900K feels like the 4 GHz P4 all over again. Core count seems maxed (can’t cool 10 cores at 5 GHz with air in that socket), overclocking headroom is approaching zero, 95W TDP with 250W power consumption, etc.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
After sitting on an i7-3770k for the past 6 years I finally decided to get the 9900k because I can definitely feel the CPU chugging along even though I have a 1080 Ti. Until I read the reviews this morning, that is. Guess I'm going with the 9700k instead.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

B-Mac posted:

Are the thermals on the 9700k much better than the 9900k? Haven’t seen much info between the two so far.

AT has some power charts using POV Ray, which you can extrapolate to thermals:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/21

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Oh man that power climb

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

B-Mac posted:

Anandtech showed a full ~70W less under full load, and they got 5.3Ghz out of their 9700K on a Z370 board. The 9900K showed 220W+ and they didn't even bother including a graph as to where its thermals went, they just had a follow-up page where they left-handedly said it's "technically" the fastest gaming chip but also titled the page "For the Gamer Who Wants it All." :jerkbag:

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Hmm maybe I’ll get the 9700k if thermals aren’t complete poo poo compared to the 9900k.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

I swear one of the reviews had a stock turbo table and the 9700k's all core was 100 MHz less than the 9900k. Then add in ~30% for hyperthreading doesn't ~160 going to ~220 seem like right where it should be for a test like that?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Winks posted:

I swear one of the reviews had a stock turbo table and the 9700k's all core was 100 MHz less than the 9900k. Then add in ~30% for hyperthreading doesn't ~160 going to ~220 seem like right where it should be for a test like that?
Last time this kind of HT powerclimb nonsense happened was all the way back in the Prescott days

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Last time this kind of HT powerclimb nonsense happened was all the way back in the Prescott days

The 8700k's power consumption is way higher, double, than the 8600k with the difference of a couple hundred MHz and HT. If anything the jump seems more reasonable for the 9700k->9900k than that one.

vvvv I didn't even notice the 8086k up there because I expected it to be next to the 8700k. That's strange. The jump to the 9600 is reasonable. What's up with their 8700k though?

Winks fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 20, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Winks posted:

The 8700k's power consumption is way higher, double, than the 8600k with the difference of a couple hundred MHz and HT. If anything the jump seems more reasonable for the 9700k->9900k than that one.

8600k to 8086k is 25% bump in power usage on that AT chart, with a 200mhz all core turbo difference

9700k to 9900k is a 28% bump, with a 100mhz difference

(as an aside, the bump from 9600k to 9700k is a wild 49% for only 25% more cores. but there is a 300mhz clock difference as well)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

8086ks are binned 8700s.

eames
May 9, 2009

various posters posted:

benchmark stuff

Now let’s compare some 1440p CPU benchmarks using a RTX2080ti... oh. :smith:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

eames posted:

Now let’s compare some 1440p CPU benchmarks using a RTX2080ti... oh. :smith:

Guru3d and that german ComputerBase site have some tests with a 2080ti

e: oh unless you are saying there is no difference up there, cause yeahhhh :( ... guru3d only did 3 games in their testing but they were all GPU limited at 1440p even with a 2080ti

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 19, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The clincher for me is that it seems the 9900K *cannot* be used reliably with high-end air. Period, full stop. It supposedly auto-throttles to 4Ghz whenever it hits its thermal limit, unless you remove that limit in BIOS, at which point if it goes too high it simply crashes, which I'd have to worry about too much even with a Noctua D15.

Moving to a 9700K knocks $100 off the top, which I can then roll into either a better motherboard or feel better about a 2080 buy. And yes, the 2700X option is there, but sorry, even though the numbers are impressive, I like monolithic dies and Infinity Fabric reminds me way too much of HyperTransport from the bad old days and gives me a "duct tape and baling wire" feeling. Intel might be eating poo poo right now, but the 9700K seems like a worthy successor to my 2500K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Cygni posted:

AT has some power charts using POV Ray, which you can extrapolate to thermals:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/21

This is still about equal to the work gain from HT, even in ancient povray which has rubbish scaling. 25%ish watts for 25%ish ops. E: I am bad at charts, 50% ish watts is of course less fun.

To cherry pick the render test with the best scaling,

Of course, Corona possibly has a larger power draw diff precisely because HT is doing more relative work. Running amperes through transistors isn't free. Conversely, if you're running a game that barely uses HT the power draw will be closer.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 19, 2018