Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Shibawanko posted:

Halo was better than HL2. At least halo was a real shooter and taking out elites was enjoyable. The story was crass and dumb, and the environments visually boring, but at least I had fun with it. The sequels I hardly remember playing.

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

HL2 seems like it was the last gasp of the old way of PC FPSes where tons of gameplay sections and settings are basically there to show off what the engine can do, and imitators missed the point of why that even existed and filled their games with linear setpieces and glorified mandatory minigames.

It's no wonder that unusual games with new formulas or specific twists on old ones that hadn't been thought of or successful before (Battle Royale type games seem new, but they're especially suited for the modern online gaming landscape) because all the well-established genres are imitators imitating imitators, frequently cargo-culting features and mechanics without thinking of what they actually add to the game. A lot of the best game design comes from devs doing something new or unusual, at least to them, and having to think about and test what actually works best for that idea and what doesn't.

I'd say that old style PC fps lives on to some degree in stuff like Titanfall 2 which plays more like Quake/UT than it does Halo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'd say that old style PC fps lives on to some degree in stuff like Titanfall 2 which plays more like Quake/UT than it does Halo.

Might well be that one way to avoid being accused of ripping off the popular thing is to instead rip off an older popular thing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Might well be that one way to avoid being accused of ripping off the popular thing is to instead rip off an older popular thing.

i would like to see more FPS in the early "flat maze" style of Wolvenstein 3D, BlakeStone, Corridor 7, etc. I feel this is a genre that is sorely underrepresented in our modern retro remake world

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rutibex posted:

i would like to see more FPS in the early "flat maze" style of Wolvenstein 3D, BlakeStone, Corridor 7, etc. I feel this is a genre that is sorely underrepresented in our modern retro remake world

It somehow does not feel like we get many Doom clones.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hes right though. It gets a ton of crap these days, but when halo dropped it was hugely innovative, had a wide variety of weapons and powerups, and fun driving even if it had a bit of a learning curve to it.

Its campaign map design was pretty poo poo though.

Heres another unpopular opinion. Regenerating health is cool and good. Good riddance to trying to having to survive a fight unscathed because the last one beat you to death's door and there weren't any medkits yet.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Good soup! posted:

:respek: my man

The Journeyman Project is a cool series and it's a shame no one has tried rebooting it or at least done something, anything with it

Are the 2nd and 3rd ones worth playing? I just beat Doom 2016 on Nightmare and I'm jonesing for something a little different

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

FoolyCharged posted:

Heres another unpopular opinion. Regenerating health is cool and good. Good riddance to trying to having to survive a fight unscathed because the last one beat you to death's door and there weren't any medkits yet.

I don’t think it is inherently bad, but if you don’t design your game around it then it’s terrible. I’m not a fan of heath packs myself, I much prefer performance based health regen. Revengence did this very well, but you have to be careful to ensure you don’t cause a regressive negative feedback loop. The “take a medkit with you” approach is alright as well, see the Souls series and assorted FPSs.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

signalnoise posted:

Sure but you'd still want that poo poo in more than one place. If you can burn stuff using friction then the fact that that is possible in that game should be made known to the player.

Out of all the puzzles in all adventure games I've played, the only one that really sticks out in my mind as a real gently caress you because of this was in Myst. There's a 3 number combination that you have to solve using 2 levers, and each one spins an outer number and also the middle number. This puzzle is impossible to solve if you don't know the trick to it, and it's ridiculously easy if you do know the trick to it. The trick is that if you click and hold a lever, it spins the middle number an additional time. Thing is, this game came out in 1993, and at that time the idea of clicking and holding for an input was hosed up because that was only used for selecting multiple things by clicking and dragging to create a selection box. The puzzle also did not do anything to suggest this to the player, and was presented as a mathematical problem.

Hotel Dusk had a similar puzzle that required the player to assemble a jigsaw puzzle, but there was no obvious input to flip the assembled puzzle over to see the back of it, where you'd find a message. That game was on the Nintendo DS though, and the solution for it was to close the DS and open it back up, which also transfers the puzzle from one screen to the other. There is at least the context of playing the game on a clamshell device, and there is a clue about what the solution to the puzzle should be in that you know there is some writing on the back of the puzzle piece you found.

Having the player think creatively to solve puzzles is cool. Thinking outside the box feels good. Setting up puzzles that require specific actions that are in no way suggested to the player through any context is dumb as gently caress.

I mean, I specifically remember liking that lever puzzle in Myst, because the solution was a gimmick. I've never heard of Hotel Dusk, but I would probably have enjoyed that too. Like I said in my previous post though, this opinion is incorrect. I appreciate that being stumped by something that doesn't seem to be playing by the rules feels unfair, or that if a solution is arbitrary it isn't as much to do with skill as dumb luck. My sentiment though is that I like things that feel unfair much much more than things that are so familiar as to be rote. Actually I like things that are unfair a great deal. I played 'I wanna be the guy' quite a lot. (Yeah, that's cheating / doesn't lend itself to my point, but y'know.)

I'm kind of the same with movies. I'd much much much rather a film show me a new idea than it be well acted, written or directed. The shot in Dune where Feyd crushes an animal in a little transparent box and drinks its blood is BETTER in my opinion, than the entirety of 'The Wife'. Like, I haven't seen 'The Wife', just a trailer for it, and I know how it ends, because there's no other way that a critically acclaimed version of that movie would ever end. Because of how it ends, I know how the rest of it plays out too. There wouldn't be a moment in that movie where I'm presented with a 'new' idea. And yet, I can appreciate that 'The Wife' is obviously a brilliant movie.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Hes right though. It gets a ton of crap these days, but when halo dropped it was hugely innovative, had a wide variety of weapons and powerups, and fun driving even if it had a bit of a learning curve to it.

Halo didn't create or innovate on any of those things, it just brought them to a console title with effective shooter controls for the first time.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

QuarkJets posted:

effective shooter controls

No console FPS other than metroid prime has effective shooter controls. It is baffling to me how many people seem to be stuck in the plato's cave of fps console gaming when the alternative feels so, so much better.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

QuarkJets posted:

Halo didn't create or innovate on any of those things, it just brought them to a console title with effective shooter controls for the first time.

yes, that's why they were separate points. I can't think of any major titles before it with regenerating health in any capacity, a non terrible ability to be controlled on consoles, two weapons that quick swapped, or the way its melee attack worked.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Even Perfect Dark running at 2 frames per second is better than Halo, the singlemost milquetoast game series ever brought to market.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I thought Halo was cool even though I wasn't used to gamepad controls. Sorry, everyone.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Halo 1 had one cool thing: if you had a plasma pistol you could rapid fire as fast as you could press down on the trigger repeatedly, meaning you could ambush an elite and sort of ram on the trigger as fast as you could with the side of one hand, like some kind of cowboy, dropping its shields with a crazy plasma volley, then you could switch to the pistol and shoot the elite in the head. The hardest difficulty was pretty cool, hunters and jackals required precise aim but it was rewarding to take down a pair of hunters by just casually walking up to them, dodging them and shooting them both in the back. I don't love the game but it at least had those things.

I want mechanically challenging and fun fights, meaning either precise aim or interesting tactics. Half Life 1 had those, Half Life 2 didn't.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

yes, that's why they were separate points. I can't think of any major titles before it with regenerating health in any capacity, a non terrible ability to be controlled on consoles, two weapons that quick swapped, or the way its melee attack worked.

Designated grenade button alongside optional vehicle segments and while not copied as much enemy radar.

There are games that did pieces of this prior (Hello Atari Jaguar AvP) but much like nobody gives a poo poo about Kill.Switch or Midi Maze, Halo put all the disparate parts into a single cohesive package to show the strength of the unified experience and thus set the standard.

Halo 2 then basically did the same thing for online matchmaking and started the death of server lobbies.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Even Perfect Dark running at 2 frames per second is better than Halo, the singlemost milquetoast game series ever brought to market.

Perfect Dark was on a console with the world's worst controller though

I agree that Halo is trash regardless

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sardonik posted:

No console FPS other than metroid prime has effective shooter controls. It is baffling to me how many people seem to be stuck in the plato's cave of fps console gaming when the alternative feels so, so much better.

The controls were effective, even if they weren't good. KB+M controls are good. Goldeneye controls are what I'd call ineffective lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Perfect Dark was on a console with the world's worst controller though

Hey, you'll get no argument from me there

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Rare games are boring and lovely though, all of them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shibawanko posted:

Rare games are boring and lovely though, all of them.

Yeah, that's why there aren't more of them.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

olives black posted:

Are the 2nd and 3rd ones worth playing? I just beat Doom 2016 on Nightmare and I'm jonesing for something a little different

imo, both are definitely worth a shot if adventure games are your thing, Buried in Time has a built-in walkthrough mode IIRC if you get stuck on puzzles too

the third game, legacy of time, has a far better interface and the suit lets you talk to people in the past

the opening to BiT is cool because it doesn't waste any time throwing you right into what's happening, you get a brief recap\epilogue from the first game and then bam, a future you comes back and tells you you've been framed, here's your suit, sending ya back into the past to try to solve this poo poo, cya

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sardonik posted:

Those controls are fine for the kind of game it is, dire for say, Call of Duty.

Unless you mean the Wii re-release in which case the only thing that really sucks is door opening

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Halo is good

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

you mean the game where you play badass space marine and you have to stop the evil aliens from destroying your home planet? where you discover an even more evil ancient race of aliens that will destroy everyone??

I know someone who unironically thought that Halo was the best sci-fi story he'd ever heard. He's now a member of a far right militia.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sardonik posted:

Nudoom is great with a controller.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

hawowanlawow posted:

Halo is good

it was

I really don't get the continued hatred for it when it pretty much set the standard for fps's now

oh wait

now I get it

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Halo was bad when it was new. Gunplay was poo poo. Covenant and the flood both are boring rear end enemies. Pass.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

My Linux Rig posted:

it was

I really don't get the continued hatred for it when it pretty much set the standard for fps's now

oh wait

now I get it

No, it absolutely didn't. It dumbed that standard down for a good decade and we've only recently accomplished a partial recovery thank loving god

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

No, it absolutely didn't. It dumbed that standard down for a good decade and we've only recently accomplished a partial recovery thank loving god

How did it dumb poo poo down didnt it have the most advanced ai at the time?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rutibex posted:

The flat maze games worked because you could race across the map in ten seconds. You could have very complex geometry and relatively big maps while being fun. Now, that is just not going to happen in a controller era, and when game protagonists move at a light jogging speed. Which seems kinda paradoxical given that those games originally didn't even expect users to own a mouse.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DogonCrook posted:

How did it dumb poo poo down didnt it have the most advanced ai at the time?

The ultimate FPS innovation: an unending circular-strafe.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Anyways, I don't really have a grudge against regen health per se, but I prefer it as the supplement of a combo health-pack system. I also think HL2's dual recharge shields was v good. I like some incentive to explore the environment.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

basic hitler posted:

Halo was bad when it was new. Gunplay was poo poo. Covenant and the flood both are boring rear end enemies. Pass.

Halo did great dynamic battles, had really good weapons and enemies, a few amazing levels (and tbf a lot of dull ones), was a console fps that felt good to play and pioneered a bunch of things that then got relentlessly run into the ground by subsequent games. It's the console hl2.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Idk i hated everything about how Halo approached being a FPS and dynamic fights dont make up for the fact that it popularized some real bad ideas

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The grenades were perfect. So was bukkakeing one of those goblin things with an entire clip of needles and watching them run around screaming before exploding. The shotgun was also really good, for all you got it late in the game.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

basic hitler posted:

Idk i hated everything about how Halo approached being a FPS and dynamic fights dont make up for the fact that it popularized some real bad ideas

Halo 1 multiplayer was straight up revolutionary for a console FPS. It essentially became the modern Goldeneye at the time.

And no, I don't give a poo poo about Timesplitters.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

dreadmojo posted:

The grenades were perfect. So was bukkakeing one of those goblin things with an entire clip of needles and watching them run around screaming before exploding. The shotgun was also really good, for all you got it late in the game.

Yeah it was just good fun and worked well. At least it didn't make you jump through hoops and there really were several solutions to every fight every time.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

And no, I don't give a poo poo about Timesplitters.

What!? :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Halo and Halo 2 had rad campaigns that allowed for co-op. The first half of the Halo 2 campaign is super stupidly epic and cool, even if I never got around to finishing it.