Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

DariusLikewise posted:

I thought you hated Melvin Gordon

Turns out he's a completely different player when they get him outside on screens and sweeps and pitches and not just run him between the tackle and guard every running play or a bullshit shotgun draw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
:rip: 4nette

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1053366029190156289

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1053367836259876865

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

At first, that Hyde trade is baffling, but shockingly, the Browns had lots of talent in the backfield. Looking forward to more Duke/Chubb.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wow, Fournette must not be doing well at all. I dont know how to feel about this trade. Yeldon is gone after this year but Hyde has a decent contract so that seems like a net loss. I wonder if the Jags can get the Browns to include one of their extra guards in the deal...

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

At first, that Hyde trade is baffling, but shockingly, the Browns had lots of talent in the backfield. Looking forward to more Duke/Chubb.

Dorsey probably forcing Haley to loving use Chubb since his ypc is absurd and he gets maybe 3 touches a game. For gods sake he has 3 40+ yard TD runs.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--Fire Haley too if it's him I guess.

You want more playing time for Chubb? Well put him in the loving game (and fire Hue) you morons.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I seriously loved that backfield. It gets worse without Hyde but it's still really damned good.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fournette is with Joey now....

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I assume that they saw an opportunity to fleece Jacksonville because they're desperate for RBs, but we'll have to see the particulars of the deal first. As someone mentioned Hyde carries a pretty sizable contract so maybe that's what this trade was about.

I've been totally baffled at why Hyde was getting so many carries and Chubb so few, and wondering when that was finally going to change. Certainly didn't expect it to be this dramatic, I thought they'd just switch the touch count around or easy Chubb into it. Turns out they're going all in on Chubb, I'm pretty okay with that. His production so far won't be matched of course, but I do think he has more of the physical tools you want than Hyde does.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Play posted:

His production so far won't be matched of course, but I do think he has more of the physical tools you want than Hyde does.

I mean it's hard other than like, young Adrian Peterson or possibly Todd Gurley (or various all time greats obviously) to have more tools than Chubb has. I'll buy into the idea that he has no idea what he's doing in pass protection, but man they just never played a ridiculous talent up until now.

e: I'm apparently a lot higher on Chubb than scouts were after looking pre-draft stuff up.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I mean it's hard other than like, young Adrian Peterson or possibly Todd Gurley (or various all time greats obviously) to have more tools than Chubb has. I'll buy into the idea that he has no idea what he's doing in pass protection, but man they just never played a ridiculous talent up until now.

He's like every other rookie in pass protection.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm just going to say it, I'm not ready for a world where the Browns might be halfway decent

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Ameer Abdullah silently weeps every night, he'd be an instant starter on like 5 teams right now.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

We got a 5th for Hyde. Is Dorsey loving obsessed with 5ths? That's what we got for Gordon to.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Hizawk posted:

Ameer Abdullah silently weeps every night, he'd be an instant starter on like 5 teams right now.

Well, good news for him:

https://twitter.com/ttwentyman/status/1053375781131427840

With Agnew on IR and Riddick out this game, this may be the first time we'll get to see Ameer get real playing time this season. I hope he's able to make the most of it-dude deserves far better than what he's gotten from this team.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Browns are going to win like one more game this season.

Same old Browns.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think they will but is this about trading a mediocre running back.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hizawk posted:

I'm still convinced hes a stud based on his college career and just needs a place to shine

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

e: I'm apparently a lot higher on Chubb than scouts were after looking pre-draft stuff up.

What I meant by "his production won't be matched" is that his 13+ yards per carry and absurd yards after contact would slow down a lot when he's being used regularly. His two awesome touchdown runs (out of three runs total that day) shot his averages up to the moon. I love him though. A little bowling ball of a man who is much quicker and has a much better cut than you would expect. Very good after contact and good vision. I thought Michel was the more agile of the two Georgia backs but actually he has looked stiff where Chubb looks lively.

He's probably never going to be super great at pass protection, but most backs never are anyways.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If you care about game reads, you should probably read Orlovsky on twitter:

https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/1053357444213157888

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Play posted:

What I meant by "his production won't be matched" is that his 13+ yards per carry and absurd yards after contact would slow down a lot when he's being used regularly. His two awesome touchdown runs (out of three runs total that day) shot his averages up to the moon. I love him though. A little bowling ball of a man who is much quicker and has a much better cut than you would expect. Very good after contact and good vision. I thought Michel was the more agile of the two Georgia backs but actually he has looked stiff where Chubb looks lively.

He's probably never going to be super great at pass protection, but most backs never are anyways.

I was confused by us drafting him after extending Duke and signing Hyde. We had all 3 backs tied up for at least 4 years, it just seemed odd. But I am excited!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Tbh he's probably(definitely) just an obsessive psycho who has unnatural mannerisms and problems expressing himself and people are equating that with a closeted homosexual. Also being openly gay in the NFL unfortunately seems like career suicide so who knows. But I prefer the emotionless robot analogy.

He was on a not sports related podcast a few years ago and he came across as a normal dude. He doesn’t like Fox News.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Kalli posted:

If you care about game reads, you should probably read Orlovsky on twitter:

https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/1053357444213157888

Since he retired and started posting on Twitter it's become clear why Orlovsky lasted so long in the NFL in spite of... certain end-zone related missteps: He really knows his poo poo, and is capable of analyzing and clearly explaining a lot of the nuances that go into playing the QB position. Definitely worth following if you're not already.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I always liked Byron Leftwich even if he was never that good. I hope he does well with the opportunity. It's been talked about a lot that a big hurdle for black offensive coaches is the transition to offensive coordinator. The usual move is QB coach to OC and there are very few black QB coaches in football. Anthony Lynn being the rare recent exception of a RB coach getting the promotion.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I wonder at what point I'm going to snap and develop an eye twitch everytime I see/hear the name "Pat Mahomes" they way I do with Brady and did with Peyton.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

sharknado slashfic posted:

I wonder at what point I'm going to snap and develop an eye twitch everytime I see/hear the name "Baker Mayfield" they way I do with Brady and did with Peyton.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
David Bakhtiari was on the Thomahawk podcast and went on about how Rodgers is the smartest and most well read guy you’ll ever meet and how he likes... conspiracy theories. :geno:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

sharknado slashfic posted:

I wonder at what point I'm going to snap and develop an eye twitch everytime I see/hear the name "Pat Mahomes" they way I do with Brady and did with Peyton.

Hopefully the Chiefs keep Chiefing so that I can appreciate the awesome things Mahomes can do without resenting him for sucking all the oxygen out of the rest of the NFL.

Fire Safety Doug posted:

David Bakhtiari was on the Thomahawk podcast and went on about how Rodgers is the smartest and most well read guy you’ll ever meet and how he likes... conspiracy theories. :geno:

lol. Football teams in general are a fertile ground for a lot of crazy ideas. When you devote so much of your life to a game there's not a ton of time or energy available to learn how the world outside of football works

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Since he retired and started posting on Twitter it's become clear why Orlovsky lasted so long in the NFL in spite of... certain end-zone related missteps: He really knows his poo poo, and is capable of analyzing and clearly explaining a lot of the nuances that go into playing the QB position. Definitely worth following if you're not already.

Is he employed as even a consultant to a team or something? It’s weird to me that he has all these great insights about the game and is using them...to effortpost on Twitter. Seems like the kind of football aspergers that Belichick would have tried to scoop up.

He could just be like “gently caress it I’m paid and can do whatever I want, no need for the NFL grind anymore” of course. Which is cool and good. Just seems like he is still very into football.

Big Jay Cutler
Sep 2, 2011

IT'S ME

a neat cape posted:

Look at those outside runs

Melvin Gordon is good

I knew he was *good* when he put more than 500 yards on nebraska for a college team that is a constant font of disappointment

Didn’t he do something illegal that makes me hate him now though? I just have a constant sour taste in my mouth when I look at him and I’ve kinda mentally blocked it out, I don’t get this way for dumb poo poo like the Cam Newton laptop theft so I imagine it was ugly

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Big Jay Cutler posted:

I knew he was *good* when he put more than 500 yards on nebraska for a college team that is a constant font of disappointment

Didn’t he do something illegal that makes me hate him now though? I just have a constant sour taste in my mouth when I look at him and I’ve kinda mentally blocked it out, I don’t get this way for dumb poo poo like the Cam Newton laptop theft so I imagine it was ugly

I am fairly certain Melvin Gordon is and always has been a model citizen.

Unless he did something at Wisconsin that I don't know about

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The only thing Melvin Gordon did to me is bring his floppy, imprecise, unaesthetic method of rushing to the NFL and then run up the middle for no gain a bajillion times

Big Jay Cutler
Sep 2, 2011

IT'S ME

a neat cape posted:

I am fairly certain Melvin Gordon is and always has been a model citizen.

Unless he did something at Wisconsin that I don't know about

Is he?? Aw man you made me so happy just now, I wasn’t really paying attention over the past few years but I thought something happened and was too scared to look it up. The guy is a beast, although I look at him and James White and find it funny that guys who ran behind an OL bigger than NFL o-lines have found success as receiving backs. I’ll never forget that Nebraska game where he ran at will and set NCAA records after three quarters... imagine if they gave it to him the whole fourth as well

Big Jay Cutler
Sep 2, 2011

IT'S ME

Play posted:

The only thing Melvin Gordon did to me is bring his floppy, imprecise, unaesthetic method of rushing to the NFL and then run up the middle for no gain a bajillion times

Uh lmao did you have him in fantasy? Cause my main competition this year has the Gordon/Rivers combo and I’m lucky they’re on a bye next week. But I mean running isn’t necessarily a mental game sans emotion and adrenaline, if anything being floppy is good in distributing the impact of tackles and keeping forward momentum rolling forward momentously

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Big Jay Cutler posted:

Uh lmao did you have him in fantasy? Cause my main competition this year has the Gordon/Rivers combo and I’m lucky they’re on a bye next week. But I mean running isn’t necessarily a mental game sans emotion and adrenaline, if anything being floppy is good in distributing the impact of tackles and keeping forward momentum rolling forward momentously

I don't hate him or anything there's just something I never liked about his running style. Very little footwork and can't really cut that well, but you're right that the way he flops around when contacted tends to get him a bit of extra progress. It's a lot better this season now that they're testing the edges with him instead of just running up the middle. 2015 through 2017 he averaged less than four yards per carry and yet last year he still broke 1,000 yards just by virtue of so many attempts.

This season he's averaging 5.1ypc so there has really been massive progress there. For a while it was pretty painful to watch

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Fire Safety Doug posted:

I loving love conspiracy theories, and I spend a ton of time reading about them.

Do I believe a goddamn one? No. But I would still classify myself as someone who loves conspiracy theories.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Play posted:

He was also running under a mike McCoy offense his first two years.

This year they're getting him out on sweeps and pitches and lo and behold he looks like a goddamn superstar

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Spoeank posted:

I loving love conspiracy theories, and I spend a ton of time reading about them.

Do I believe a goddamn one? No. But I would still classify myself as someone who loves conspiracy theories.

Yeah, this. I read/listen to too many "unexplained mysteries" type stuff. I don't believe any of it though.

[size="x-small"]the New Orleans mafia killed jfk[/size]

Big Jay Cutler
Sep 2, 2011

IT'S ME

Play posted:

I don't hate him or anything there's just something I never liked about his running style. Very little footwork and can't really cut that well, but you're right that the way he flops around when contacted tends to get him a bit of extra progress. It's a lot better this season now that they're testing the edges with him instead of just running up the middle. 2015 through 2017 he averaged less than four yards per carry and yet last year he still broke 1,000 yards just by virtue of so many attempts.

This season he's averaging 5.1ypc so there has really been massive progress there. For a while it was pretty painful to watch

That looseness is bound to help more around the edges, fewer/smaller guys hitting you. It’s the dao, would you rather cross a river by swimming straight upstream or by swimming with the flow and letting the phillip river carry you across?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

aperion posted:

To be fair, that means the Cardinals figured out faster than the Broncos or Chargers ever did that he was bad.

McCoy's job at Denver was to hold a clipboard and make overridable 'play suggestions' to Actual OC Peyton Manning

• Locked thread