Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are African Americans allowed to join the DAR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

We have a soda fountain in the break room at work. Sometimes it likes to stop working, and if you try to get some soda, it instead gives you no soda and makes an explosively loud HISSSS at you.

It just did it again. :argh:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

We have a soda fountain in the break room at work. Sometimes it likes to stop working, and if you try to get some soda, it instead gives you no soda and makes an explosively loud HISSSS at you.

It just did it again. :argh:

Our office version of this is the milk foamer of our cheap rent coffee machine. Sometimes it builds too much pressure and shoots the foamer cap off into your cup loudly, fiercely hissing steam everywhere.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Sentient Data posted:

You can change your withholdings at any time, and the irs encourages you to do it to get as close to a $0 tax bill/refund as possible

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/irs-withholding-calculator

You can't lie on your taxes to change what you owe annually, but you sure can change how much is automatically held. Hint: a big annual refund means you're doing it wrong

Yeah, we’ve done that. He’s basically pissed off that he had to pay social security and other income taxes. Before getting this job he did a lot of gig work (he’s an audio engineer), so a lot of cash under the table. He’s just not used to having income taxes taken out of a check. And he thinks he can claim like additional dependents or something to reduce the amount deducted.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tell him that's how Wesley Snipes and Al Capone went to jail

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Mu Zeta posted:

Are African Americans allowed to join the DAR?

Sure, you just have to prove lineal descent from someone who provided service during the war. It's not like it's the version for descendants of confederate civil war soldiers.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My cat Cartman is dying. He's only nine years old, and we spent about $350 on bloodwork and a vet visit, only for them to rule out pretty much everything normal (kidneys are fine, which was the first worry), but he's not eating and the next step is a $500 bloodtest and I just don't think I can afford it. He's only loving nine years old. And he was doing great up until a week ago.

In the past four years we've lost four other cats, but they were all adults when we adopted them, all purebred inbred genetic nightmares (the two American Shorthairs had seizures, the ocicat had a heart attack, and the Oriental Siamese had cancer). We've also lost a foster to cancer, but we knew she wasn't going to last long, the vet gave her maybe a month, and she lasted three with us, and it was clear from the rescue she would live the rest of her life with us as a hospice case. Same with the guinea pig, PenPen, who has a benign tumor but is a spoiled brat for the rest of her hospice life with us.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cowslips Warren posted:

My cat Cartman is dying. He's only nine years old, and we spent about $350 on bloodwork and a vet visit, only for them to rule out pretty much everything normal (kidneys are fine, which was the first worry), but he's not eating and the next step is a $500 bloodtest and I just don't think I can afford it. He's only loving nine years old. And he was doing great up until a week ago.

In the past four years we've lost four other cats, but they were all adults when we adopted them, all purebred inbred genetic nightmares (the two American Shorthairs had seizures, the ocicat had a heart attack, and the Oriental Siamese had cancer). We've also lost a foster to cancer, but we knew she wasn't going to last long, the vet gave her maybe a month, and she lasted three with us, and it was clear from the rescue she would live the rest of her life with us as a hospice case. Same with the guinea pig, PenPen, who has a benign tumor but is a spoiled brat for the rest of her hospice life with us.

Sorry to hear that. Our last cat died fairly suddenly a few years ago, she just collapsed against the kitchen door one day after showing no signs of any issues, we made an emergency vet appointment but she was dead before it could happen.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
It just sucks, because he was doing good, we had an ear mite outbreak from the foster cats, so during treatment he, like most of the cats, took off if we tried to pick him up (treatment was every other day so yeah), so it's possible there were warning signs we just wrote off because he was being skittish and needed ears cleaned.

The ocicat Rosie was sudden, she had a seizure on the kitchen floor, and I held her and felt her heart jackhammer and then slow to nothing. Sake the siamese we knew was going downhill, but she had had health issues that were pretty much due to inbreeding and being overbred herself. And the shorthairs, gently caress, they are genetic wastelands. Fine one day, then runny eyes, okay, normal for the breed, then bam, done.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cowslips Warren posted:

It just sucks, because he was doing good, we had an ear mite outbreak from the foster cats, so during treatment he, like most of the cats, took off if we tried to pick him up (treatment was every other day so yeah), so it's possible there were warning signs we just wrote off because he was being skittish and needed ears cleaned.

The ocicat Rosie was sudden, she had a seizure on the kitchen floor, and I held her and felt her heart jackhammer and then slow to nothing. Sake the siamese we knew was going downhill, but she had had health issues that were pretty much due to inbreeding and being overbred herself. And the shorthairs, gently caress, they are genetic wastelands. Fine one day, then runny eyes, okay, normal for the breed, then bam, done.

Yeah, it was sudden for us too. I tend to not process that sort of thing directly, it tends to need a catalyst, like I was dealing with my late grandmother going a bit senile in her old age, and was kind of keeping on a sort of "Well, I can't help this so what can I do?" thing, by keeping an eye on her physical health and letting the carers know when I noticed her being particularly weak or having breathing issues (it helped me cope to feel useful rather than helpless), but it didn't really hit me until I watched Coco and I was crying really hard at the ending, because it paralleled what I was going through.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Another customer complaint. This time one was angry that they had to get carousel tickets from a person rather than a machine. Thanks for wishing I'd lose my job to automation because walking for 20 extra seconds is a massive inconvenience and we ruined your day.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I wiped out on my skates and busted my leg up yesterday so now I can't go out on them today. Also I ruined my jeans and lost half the sandwich I was eating at the time.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The mental image I have of you wiping out is positively breathtaking.

I have to go work at a bar on a Sunday, the only day of the week I get depressed about my job. I'm going to spend the whole day getting paid in singles to be a therapist. At least I'll get to watch a bunch of sports?

:smith:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sentient Data posted:

You can change your withholdings at any time, and the irs encourages you to do it to get as close to a $0 tax bill/refund as possible

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/irs-withholding-calculator

You can't lie on your taxes to change what you owe annually, but you sure can change how much is automatically held. Hint: a big annual refund means you're doing it wrong

Many people like having a big refund check come in and I suspect the IRS encourages the 0 dollar refund because it’s less work for them. I’m not basing that on anything other than the IRS wanting people to be less happy one time a year.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm trying to write a script for the first time, starting with an outline for the story (not got to the actual script yet because I'm still hashing out the basic events of the story and working out how best to present it) and I really like where things are developing so far, but I'm also fairly anxious that I'm setting myself up for a disappointment, like I'll write it, do all the drafting and editing and revising that you are supposed to do, get it looked at by an editor and that it just won't be good enough.

I'm thinking it through as thoroughly as possible to the extent that the current version of the story as outlined is nothing like the germ of the idea that started the whole process due to me rethinking how the characters work, so it won't be half baked, and I'm planning on comparing existing scripts submitted to the BBC that succeeded so I can get an idea what they are looking for with regards to format and flow, but it's just a nagging doubt in my head. It's like I've got impostor syndrome and I haven't even imposed yet.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm trying to write a script for the first time, starting with an outline for the story (not got to the actual script yet because I'm still hashing out the basic events of the story and working out how best to present it) and I really like where things are developing so far, but I'm also fairly anxious that I'm setting myself up for a disappointment, like I'll write it, do all the drafting and editing and revising that you are supposed to do, get it looked at by an editor and that it just won't be good enough.

I'm thinking it through as thoroughly as possible to the extent that the current version of the story as outlined is nothing like the germ of the idea that started the whole process due to me rethinking how the characters work, so it won't be half baked, and I'm planning on comparing existing scripts submitted to the BBC that succeeded so I can get an idea what they are looking for with regards to format and flow, but it's just a nagging doubt in my head. It's like I've got impostor syndrome and I haven't even imposed yet.

That's awesome. Not the anxiety, but that you had this idea and you are pursuing it to the end. You've already made it further than most people. If your first draft doesn't meet some arbitrary standards, chalk it up to a learning experience and made a second draft.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

That's awesome. Not the anxiety, but that you had this idea and you are pursuing it to the end. You've already made it further than most people. If your first draft doesn't meet some arbitrary standards, chalk it up to a learning experience and made a second draft.

It's an amusing thing for me because you are always told "Let your characters write themselves", and my entire setting has rewritten itself in my head due to me thinking "How do these aspects fit together... this scene is cool, but how would I build to that? Why would this weird thing be happening suddenly, wait I can't figure out a good reason, but if I whittle it down to only a few cases of the thing, then I can come up with a neat kind of vague but emotionally resonant explanation that wouldn't raise too many questions..."

It started with a single idea for a twist based on a generic set up, but that twist is now totally irrelevant. The character's aren't just writing themselves, the whole setting is folding itself into the most effective form like a protein, and it's kind of exciting. Even the structure in which the story is to be told has mutated due to aspects that would make it overlong or boring if made in a perfectly linear narrative structure.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My cat Cartman is dead. He wasn't doing any better, he was refusing all food and water and the cat liquid weed, and he died tonight. And I have to tell my mom in the morning before work, because she is asleep now, and I don't want to wake her.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm sorry for your loss. I really and truly am. :(

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Cowslips Warren posted:

My cat Cartman is dead. He wasn't doing any better, he was refusing all food and water and the cat liquid weed, and he died tonight. And I have to tell my mom in the morning before work, because she is asleep now, and I don't want to wake her.

I'm very sorry. It's never easy.
:hugs:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Well mom woke before I went to bed, so I told her then. We both had a good cry, and she told me this morning, she'd been so upset yesterday she forgot, but he had another seizure. We knew it was coming, it just bites still.

Meanwhile the box turtle Myrtle (shut up I was like 8) we found in New Mexico about 30 years ago, who we saved from crossing the road and becoming turtle pancake, still glares at us because she'll have to pay for our drat funerals.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Tonight I learned things about a couple friends of mine that I wish I didn't know. To make matters worse, I feel like I can't even talk about it to anyone because I have so many mutual friends and acquaintances with the parties involved in this story. I was willing to consider it was maybe just a rumor, but I heard the same story from more than one person and now I don't know how to feel. Part of me still wants to think it might not be true, but if it is, it definitely changes how I see some of the people involved.

:sigh:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I bought pet steps for my older, chunky cat.

He has used them once, still preferring to stand on his hind legs, holler directly into my ear, and then jump onto the side of the bed and scrabble his way up.

dahhhhr

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Bees on Wheat posted:

Tonight I learned things about a couple friends of mine that I wish I didn't know. To make matters worse, I feel like I can't even talk about it to anyone because I have so many mutual friends and acquaintances with the parties involved in this story. I was willing to consider it was maybe just a rumor, but I heard the same story from more than one person and now I don't know how to feel. Part of me still wants to think it might not be true, but if it is, it definitely changes how I see some of the people involved.

:sigh:

The fact that you don’t feel comfortable even telling us makes me think it’s gotta be really, really bad. I’ve been in that kind of situation before and it’s never not itchy. :(

Some things you can’t unseeknow, bro.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
2 hours and 15 min until I can play RDR 2 and i can't wait that long just give it to me now

E: wtf am I supposed to do for 2 hours. All my house chores are done. Aaaaaaaaaaa

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 02:51 on Oct 26, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thin Privilege posted:

2 hours and 15 min until I can play RDR 2 and i can't wait that long just give it to me now

E: wtf am I supposed to do for 2 hours. All my house chores are done. Aaaaaaaaaaa

Wipe dust from all hard surfaces.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Wipe dust from all hard surfaces.

I fell asleep on the couch.

5 hours later: Now:
-I have horrible allergies cause of cat hair cause I put my head in the Cat Sleep Spot so my eyes are tearing up and I can't breathe
-I rubbed my eye too hard so I can't see out of my right eye cause it's all hosed up and blurry

So now I can't play the game anyways. Yay. Also it is super cold in here. Guess I'll just play with the cats :catstare:

...except they're all asleep :cry:

E: and I woke up with this really, REALLY REALLY lovely song stuck in my head. No, it's not a rap song. It's something with a fake 80s saxophone (ie keyboard) doing the same notes as the singer is singing and goes like "this ain't no something, this ain't no something, do do do do-do-do-dooo." Yeah that's not a good description I don't care cause I can only see out of one eye so you and your ability to see will have to deal with it.

E2: "oh look at me I'm a long haired cat who sheds my hair everywhere despite being brushed daily and will now move and happily sleep on the spot where TP head just was cause it's my spot now and I want her to have an asthma attack"

Yes I am cranky.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 10:00 on Oct 26, 2018

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

burial posted:

The fact that you don’t feel comfortable even telling us makes me think it’s gotta be really, really bad. I’ve been in that kind of situation before and it’s never not itchy. :(

Some things you can’t unseeknow, bro.

Yeah, I was kind of blindsided by this story, too. I thought I was just having a normal conversation while having a couple drinks, and someone just dropped this bombshell on me. I keep trying to type the story up, but I have no idea where to even start. It's just.. :wtc:

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
You’re going to be OK. :sympathy:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm getting a cold and will likely have to call in sick tomorrow, but years of corporate capitalist culture make me feel like I have to prove I'm sick enough to call out and I'm an rear end in a top hat for it.

I'm unionized now so it'll be a non-issue but it still gives me anxiety :( also I work in a hospital so the response will likely be "yes stay the gently caress out and dont spread it"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

I'm getting a cold and will likely have to call in sick tomorrow, but years of corporate capitalist culture make me feel like I have to prove I'm sick enough to call out and I'm an rear end in a top hat for it.

I'm unionized now so it'll be a non-issue but it still gives me anxiety :( also I work in a hospital so the response will likely be "yes stay the gently caress out and dont spread it"

Yeah, just call off. I know exactly how you're feeling and it legitimately confused me the first time I called off from my current job and nobody gave me poo poo for it. Just "ok, get better, see you when you get back."

It's OK! You're human! Humans get sick sometimes and I know they say sharing is caring but don't share this poo poo if you can help it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Long day at work, 10 hours and no breaks, and forget to get the salad I left in the fridge for my baby tortoises. No biggie, we got unsalted canned veges at home, they can have that.

Come home over an hour late, only half the lights are turned on, my mom is throwing a bitch fit because she got an email from the other dude's insurance company that our insurance company hasn't done poo poo in their fender bender (she backed into a parked car) and everyone who could help has gone home for the weekend, and oh, the baby torts have no food, the uros don't have their lights on OR any food, so I start the evening chores clearly mad because she had loving Facebook open and was browsing cat pictures instead of feeding our loving reptiles. She asked if she could help when I was done, and I told her no, I already did everything, which set her off slamming poo poo around and locking herself in her bedroom to watch TV. She came out only to snap at me that she hadn't fed anyone because she thought I was bringing home salad and then left again.

I almost called out sick today because I wasn't feeling good. This does not help.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Cowslips Warren posted:

Long day at work, 10 hours and no breaks, and forget to get the salad I left in the fridge for my baby tortoises. No biggie, we got unsalted canned veges at home, they can have that.

Come home over an hour late, only half the lights are turned on, my mom is throwing a bitch fit because she got an email from the other dude's insurance company that our insurance company hasn't done poo poo in their fender bender (she backed into a parked car) and everyone who could help has gone home for the weekend, and oh, the baby torts have no food, the uros don't have their lights on OR any food, so I start the evening chores clearly mad because she had loving Facebook open and was browsing cat pictures instead of feeding our loving reptiles. She asked if she could help when I was done, and I told her no, I already did everything, which set her off slamming poo poo around and locking herself in her bedroom to watch TV. She came out only to snap at me that she hadn't fed anyone because she thought I was bringing home salad and then left again.

I almost called out sick today because I wasn't feeling good. This does not help.

Your mom needs therapy and, quite possibly, medication.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I know, I know, and trying to get her to talk about poo poo, like going to see a therapist. Well. You can imagine how well that goes over.

If they'd legalize weed already I could at least dose her loving coffee.

I mean, I got home, she was pissed about the car thing, then went on to talk about some tables her friend wants to give us (okay cool we can use them, one snake cage is not on the best stand right now) but after seeing half the lights on and no one fed, I didn't give two shits about the table. Facebook on and cute cat pics up too? gently caress that. She'd drilled into my head as a kid that homework and chores come first, THEN playtime.

Here, something not my mom related: my nephew got in serious trouble because he used his mom's Paypal to buy some poo poo online in Roblox. He doesn't seem to understand that people are more mad because he lied about doing it instead of just the theft, and is trying to play it off that he is going to pay her back. All he gets is that he's on probation from video games and is sulky about the entire thing.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Cowslips Warren posted:

I know, I know, and trying to get her to talk about poo poo, like going to see a therapist. Well. You can imagine how well that goes over.

My mom-in law needed therapy or meds right up until the day she died. It's hard to admit you need help, and it gets harder the older you get. The only people who stick around are the ones who love you enough to tolerate your poo poo or enable it by covering for you. Stay in that bubble long enough and you think you're the normal one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I went to see a doctor last month about these twitches I've had most of my life because I think it could be mild tourettes, but I won't know for sure until I see a neurologist in January.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Mild one compared to all the poo poo itt, but: I forgot to charge my watch two days ago, so it died in the middle of the day yesterday. Modern technology!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Danaru posted:

make the call while sorta leaning off ur bed with ur head upside down and itll change ur sinuses up a bit and make u sound congested

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
My TV for some reason doesn't fit Rockstar Game's (and I think some others') screen size so the outside is cut off, and none of them have the "adjust this to fit your screen" option cause I guess that's out of style now. So like well over an inch is cut off of the game and it's really lovely. What if an enemy is in the corner and I can't see him? Like ok I got the TV 10 years ago but it's still the right dimensions or whatever. Ghhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thin Privilege posted:

My TV for some reason doesn't fit Rockstar Game's (and I think some others') screen size so the outside is cut off, and none of them have the "adjust this to fit your screen" option cause I guess that's out of style now. So like well over an inch is cut off of the game and it's really lovely. What if an enemy is in the corner and I can't see him? Like ok I got the TV 10 years ago but it's still the right dimensions or whatever. Ghhhh

Your TV should have its own menu to adjust content to fit the screen - either through manual adjustment of vertical-horizontal content dimensions or through resolution settings (or, rarer, video channel settings). It's fairly standard functionality.