Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Snak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Link to ep since it's not on the actual episode list yet: https://www.crunchyroll.com/jojos-bizarre-adventure/episode-3-meet-the-gangster-behind-the-wall-777707

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
This episode was almost as good as the last segment in Four Rooms.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The lighter business was fukken hilarious

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

That poor snake.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/947875078615662592?s=19

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

To give you an idea of what we had to deal with regarding this part for years:

The lower left was the only translation of Golden Wind we had for a good while.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Look, Michelangelo is famously litigious. Their hands were tied.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the sky color changing was brilliant, the end was great animation wise, next week cant come soon enough

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

This is actually the first 3 panels of Part 5 I've ever seen.

Kurtofan posted:

the sky color changing was brilliant, the end was great animation wise, next week cant come soon enough

Oh the good ol Jojo recolor.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wow Koichi just broke into Giorno's room. Unbelievable!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Black Sabbath looks a lot better animated than I was expecting.

RIP Mario, though.

Kurtofan posted:

Yeah, that was a slick transition.

JoeGlassJAw posted:

I might just be totally misremembering but I don't think they started doing them until a few episodes into each season?

Nah, they always did it from the outset. Stardust Crusaders had a preview for every episode except the first of each season, for instance.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Koichi really burglarizes

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Meat Beat Agent posted:

Koichi really burglarizes
NO DIGNITY

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i forgot the pain of waiting weekly for new episodes

that was a good episode though, drat. so that explains the coming (i assume) gang of stand nerds

i assume he won't, but if giorno got stabbed, what would happen? When it happened to Kira he got a second stand ability and his hair was cooler but i doubt that's the rule and not the exception

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Regarding Kira, I'm pretty sure the reason he got Bites the Dust was because the arrow reacted to his conviction. Had he been stabbed with the arrow at any other time, it probably wouldn't have done much of anything. Yoshihiro even states that the arrow was moving on its own to empower Kira.

So the risk Giorno has here is presumably the same as any regular person's.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

RIP Mario, though.
Even in death, Luigi’s mistaken for his bro. What a bummer.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what the hell where is my episode crunchy roll i only watch jojos on my magnificent 64 inch television streaming directly from the crunchy roll app i will not be denied you cannot do this to me i won't go through thursday again its friday

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I feel pretty sure that lighter is supposed to go out so Polpo can poke himself Stand gangsters. Criminally wasteful but everyone who does it knowingly takes the test.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Dunno, having everyone under you use stands seems like a good way to build a criminal empire

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the idea is that there's three outcomes to the test

1. the lighter goes out. the person relights it. the stand impales them with the arrow and they have the willpower to support their own stand. they go back to polpo with a stand and are accepted.

2. the lighter goes out. the person relights it. the stand impales them with the arrow and they don't have the willpower to support their own stand. they die. it's taken care of.

3. the lighter does not go out for 24 hours. the person returns to polpo with a lit lighter and has shown that they are dedicated enough to manage such a thing to where they should be allowed into the gang based on that alone. it's implied leaky eye luca managed this, as he did not have a stand.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Further proof that Giorno is a member of the Joestar bloodline - his ability to pull off ridiculously absurd feats of slight of hand in full view of the reader/viewer without it being revealed until way after the fact.

Swiping all the guard's stuff while she was patting him down with his hands in the air is particularly impressive.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The real question is "how does Polpo get the lighter back"

Does he give people missions to go find his missing lighter

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

FirstAidKite posted:

bruno is on lighter duty

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

He can also dispose of bodies quite nicely.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

1. the lighter goes out. the person relights it. the stand impales them with the arrow and they have the willpower to support their own stand. they go back to polpo with a stand and are accepted.

2. the lighter goes out. the person relights it. the stand impales them with the arrow and they don't have the willpower to support their own stand. they die. it's taken care of.

3. the lighter does not go out for 24 hours. the person returns to polpo with a lit lighter and has shown that they are dedicated enough to manage such a thing to where they should be allowed into the gang based on that alone. it's implied leaky eye luca managed this, as he did not have a stand.

4. some weirdo passerby with a healing stand saves whoever got shot, they come back with an egg, polpo quits because "this is bullshit"

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

STONE COLD 64 posted:

what the hell where is my episode crunchy roll i only watch jojos on my magnificent 64 inch television streaming directly from the crunchy roll app i will not be denied you cannot do this to me i won't go through thursday again its friday

They've been really bad with adding the new episode to the show's page recently. In the future you can let the previous episode play till the end and it will start the next one automatically. At least I assume it works the same with the app as on PC.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Demicol posted:

In the future you can let the previous episode play till the end and it will start the next one automatically. At least I assume it works the same with the app as on PC.

Usually it does, but it didn't this week. The new episode wasn't up in the app on my PS4, so I tried rewatching episode 2 to see if it would automatically queue up the third episode at the end. It didn't work, so I eventually just gave up on watching it on the app and watched it on my PC instead.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Considering Polpo can get caviar delivered to him in prison, I assume it's not terribly difficult to regain a lighter. Especially since the dead person will likely wind up being noticed by someone.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I was all tensed up over a lighter.

Show good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The lighter owns, my gf who doesn't care for JoJo was really into how Giorno would handle that.

Also, I wonder how disappointed DIO is that his son dares drink that travesty called Sprite.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The lighter owns, my gf who doesn't care for JoJo was really into how Giorno would handle that.

Also, I wonder how disappointed DIO is that his son dares drink that travesty called Sprite.

I guess Giorno got his beverage preferences from his other dad

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Johnny Joestar posted:

4. They come back with an unlit lighter, hoping that since it's a loyalty/trust test, Polpo will appreciate they did not attempt to deceive him and reignite the lighter. Polpo immediately bites off their head.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gotta love that palette shift at the end of this episode.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Like an idiot, I wasn't expecting Stand shenanigans for the lighter business, I thought it would be something more straightforward like 'relighting the lighter uses up too much oil so it goes out at hour 20' or some poo poo. Nope! You get murdered!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pinwiz11 posted:

I was all tensed up over a lighter.

Show good.

I had forgotten how this went, so I was wondering what kind of lax body check doesn't inspect the hands. And then she did.

I don't remember everyone aiming their guns at Giorno in the manga, though.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Did you know Koichi steals?

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Initially I was satisfied with the new OP but it didn't exactly blow me away (dug the bond style though), but after waiting a week and marinating on it a while it was a great way to get pumped for this week's episode.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I had forgotten how this went, so I was wondering what kind of lax body check doesn't inspect the hands. And then she did.

I don't remember everyone aiming their guns at Giorno in the manga, though.

pretty sure that did happen in the manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Further proof that Giorno is a member of the Joestar bloodline - his ability to pull off ridiculously absurd feats of slight of hand in full view of the reader/viewer without it being revealed until way after the fact.

Swiping all the guard's stuff while she was patting him down with his hands in the air is particularly impressive.

He has a Stand. She frisks him, Gold Experience frisks her.