Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

JBP posted:

My favourite thing right now is that former army can't get jobs because no one wants to work with a killbot.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-19/army-navy-air-force-veterans-face-unemployment-fight/10392422?pfmredir=sm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

This triggered my memory today but also army have it the worst. Mother, I'm army.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

JBP posted:

This triggered my memory today but also army have it the worst. Mother, I'm army.

I’m ex ADF. Had zero issues getting a job post-service.

The amount of pissing and moaning from these people who put zero effort into presenting themselves properly, educating themselves or upskilling is staggering.

There’s a real culture of entitlement where ex-servicepeople feel they’re owed a job because they enlisted for a few years and player soldier.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

adamantium|wang posted:

So, uh, apparently this is a thing

Good to see they think the best thing to do the night before the Wentworth by-election is to host a meeting of hard-right fuckwits.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I kinda dodged a bullet in not getting in to the ADF because I'm on sadmeds. I was going for army pilot, though which hopefully might have gotten me to civilian crafts after leaving.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
recruiter said i was too fat, woulda wooped his rear end but i respect the stripes

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Asthma, chronic sinusitis, and I'm poo poo at math.

I'm glad, because I'd probably have ended up flying Seahawks around the top end trying to find all the boats that Scott Morrison stopped.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison says the Liberals' candidate Dave Sharma will be as good as the man they dumped as party leader as he makes his final plea to voters before Saturday's Wentworth byelection.

Speaking on the eve of the crucial byelection in the blue-ribbon Liberal seat, Mr Morrison also seized on comments made by Mr Sharma's main rival, independent candidate Kerryn Phelps.

Mr Morrison said Dr Phelps "could not guarantee not bringing down the government" referring to an interview on Sky on Thursday in which she did not rule out a vote against the government on a motion of no-confidence.

"Now that is the definition of instability," Mr Morrison said.

Former Greens leader Bob Brown has also made a late intervention in the campaign in a bid to help Dr Phelps win the seat, urging Green voters to ignore his party's direction on preferences.

Mr Brown fears Greens preferences could push Labor candidate Tim Murray into second spot which would ensure Mr Sharma wins the seat.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I never tried out to defend Australia because I was born with the kind of superior brain that can identify and eliminate self inflicted threat.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Oh I never made it as far as actually trying.

Just entertained the idea of being a pilot for a while.

I blame Tony Scott.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I fired a bb gun once. I completely missed the target which was thirty feet away.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i didn't bother trying to join the army because i had first person shooters

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I've only fired guns my brother in law stole from the military when he was serving. Had some fun blowing up cans full of acetylene.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
i'm a lefty so i am terrified of guns, knives and any form of manual labour or personal responsibility

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Thirty job rejections. That's what, two weeks of Newstart obligations?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Zenithe posted:

Thirty job rejections. That's what, two weeks of Newstart obligations?

One and a half months.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-19/authority-creep-has-more-agencies-accessing-your-metadata/10398348

quote:

More government agencies are accessing people's phone and internet records than originally envisaged, in what critics are describing as "authority creep".
Controversial laws which came into force last year compel telecommunications companies to retain metadata on their customers, including information on who you call or text, where you make calls from, and who you send emails to.
To allay privacy concerns, access to the metadata was limited to 22 specific police and intelligence agencies, such as the Australian Federal Police, ASIO and state police forces.
But a parliamentary hearing has been told that number has blown out.
"There are many more than 22 agencies," John Stanton from Communications Alliance, the industry peak body, said.
"Many state-based agencies have come forward and started using their own state-based powers to request metadata.

"Authority creep, I guess you might call it."
The Communications Alliance told the parliamentary hearing telcos are getting around 1,000 requests for metadata each day.
It is not clear exactly how many agencies are now able to request access to stored metadata.
Because they are accessing the metadata and not the content of communications, the agencies are not required to get a warrant.
Shadow Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus expressed concern, noting access to stored metadata was supposed to be tightly restricted.
"It's a specified group of 22, reduced at the time of the mandatory data retention legislation going through from the previous very wide group of around 80."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GoldStandardConure posted:

i'm a lefty so i am terrified of guns, knives and any form of manual labour or personal responsibility

If you go to Vietnam you can blow up a sick cow with a rocket for $500usd I only know this through hearsay though.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So basically the government accepted the amendments to the legislation proposed by the ALP, and then immediately disregarded them, meaning they are literally breaking the law.

Cool.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

JBP posted:

If you go to Vietnam you can blow up a sick cow with a rocket for $500usd I only know this through hearsay though.

Fully or actually?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
... like how much of the cow is left?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Lid posted:

Mr Brown fears Greens preferences could push Labor candidate Tim Murray into second spot which would ensure Mr Sharma wins the seat.

Can someone tell me how the gently caress this makes any sense in a country where preferential voting exists?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

bobvonunheil posted:

Can someone tell me how the gently caress this makes any sense in a country where preferential voting exists?

Phelps voters are expected to preference Lib over Lab?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

i am also scared of cows

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

bobvonunheil posted:

If there's no clear winner by the time only the Libs, Labor and Phelps is left and Phelps gets knocked out. then it's not unreasonable to assume enough preferences will flow to the Libs over Labor giving the Libs a clear win. What Brown is arguing is that if the Greens shore up Phelps in the hope that Labor gets knocked out instead then the bulk of their preferences should flow to Phelps giving her the win and denying the Libs the seat, which from his view is better than nothing.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10...c&sf200367465=1

click through for pic for possible nsfw or whatever

Naked butcher photos sees Kalkarindji residents throw out beef and sausages from NT meatworks

quote:

Meat is being dumped from stores across the remote community of Kalkarindji, the Gurindji Aboriginal Corporation says, after a photo of a naked butcher preparing sausages was uploaded to social media.

The photo, purportedly taken at a local meat supplier, shows a butcher handling sausages dressed in only boots and an apron, leaving his bare buttocks exposed.

Kalkarindji Traditional Owner and Gurindji Aboriginal Corporation spokesperson Rob Roy said the butcher and meat supply facility were "easily identified" by the community.

"That to me is one idiot who is treating black people of this community, Kalkarindji, very wrong and not with a lot of respect," he said.

"To me, that's making me think back to Vincent Lingiari, maybe that's why he walked off the station, because he wasn't treated fair.

i want to see the NT times headline on this.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

hambeet posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10...c&sf200367465=1

click through for pic for possible nsfw or whatever

Naked butcher photos sees Kalkarindji residents throw out beef and sausages from NT meatworks

i want to see the NT times headline on this.

There’s a snag on my snag!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He had a smock on that would satisfy me.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

As long as he had a hairnet on

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

GoldStandardConure posted:

i am also scared of cows

Especially cows with guns

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Meanwhile in Sydney, Anglicans don't want gays, aborigines or yoga at any of their premises

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-19/sydney-anglicans-banning-ssm-yoga-on-all-church-property/10397748

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You Am I posted:

Meanwhile in Sydney, Anglicans don't want gays, aborigines or yoga at any of their premises

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-19/sydney-anglicans-banning-ssm-yoga-on-all-church-property/10397748

Fair enough if it's a bona fide religious building and you reckon God will get mad about people meditating but why give a poo poo about the other non-sacred boxes you own.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

JBP posted:

Fair enough if it's a bona fide religious building and you reckon God will get mad about people meditating but why give a poo poo about the other non-sacred boxes you own.

God doesn't exist and religion's a scam.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

tithin posted:

No... poo poo? Some people believe it though and think their church buildings are sacred.

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

tithin posted:

Religion might be a scam but god is most definitely real.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://nordvpn.com/

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

hidys posted:

:vince:

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

hidys posted:

I'd like to stress that these are still very early numbers, just a few booths reporting

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

JBP posted:

Clearly having a dummy spit since it looks like they won’t be able to expel those gay kids like they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Man the greens sure are pulling hard for some fuckin generic brand Tory

• Locked thread