Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
FYI if you have this on uPlay and want it on Steam you can grab the free starter edition and just transfer all your poo poo across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
This game seems like it would be fun if I knew how to play it. The thing is I don't know if I want to dedicate a bunch of time learning how to get good at this before I have fun. Also I heard a lot of characters are broken on console c/d?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
A couple characters are heinous on console because the game runs at 30 fps, and that makes it much more difficult to react to and block their fast attacks. It doesn't completely break the game or anything but it's definitely a noticeable difference.

If you have a PC, the game is free on Steam until the 27th (you keep it forever if you claim). Would at least let you try out the single player to get a feel for the basic game mechanics and stuff.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Rainuwastaken posted:

A couple characters are heinous on console because the game runs at 30 fps, and that makes it much more difficult to react to and block their fast attacks. It doesn't completely break the game or anything but it's definitely a noticeable difference.

If you have a PC, the game is free on Steam until the 27th (you keep it forever if you claim). Would at least let you try out the single player to get a feel for the basic game mechanics and stuff.

Yeah, back when I still had a terribly outdated GPU and only managed to get ~40-ish FPS at the best of times, Aramusha was the bane of my existence. Hardly any chance keeping up with that infinite soft-feint combo. Various zone attacks like from Orochi, Peacekeeper, and Warden were borderline guaranteed hits against me as well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The problem with starting on PC now is that players who still 1v1 are experienced enough to read and parry lights, so you'll get punished for spam without being prepared to react to spam yourself.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

The problem with starting on PC now is that players who still 1v1 are experienced enough to read and parry lights, so you'll get punished for spam without being prepared to react to spam yourself.

Well that's true on consoles as well, but it's easier to react to light spam at 60+ fps compared to 30.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Rainuwastaken posted:

Yea this game seems to be a cool concept but the console issues along with the learning curve required for it to even be enjoyable means I'm probably gonna pass on this completely.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Seltzer posted:

Yea this game seems to be a cool concept but the console issues along with the learning curve required for it to even be enjoyable means I'm probably gonna pass on this completely.

In my experience it doesn't get much more enjoyable once you learn it anyway

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

I'm having lots of fun in this game, playing as a large, black, burly viking raider, murdering fools! :black101:

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Bad news I had two matches against gamers with swastika/SS emblems tonight. Good news I happened to be playing my dark-skinned raider each time and trashed them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

By the way, there's currently an open beta for the China expansion going on, featuring the new heroes and the new game mode.

They've also seriously revamped the itemisation system (again): Instead of direct bonuses to damage or something, each item now contributes points towards one or several perks. If your items contribute enough points towards a particular perk it gets activated and grants you a unique bonus, like capturing zones faster or a self-heal after killing an enemy hero. Higher-ranked items grant access to a wider variety of perks, but apparently you'll only ever be able to have two or three active at a time irrespective of level.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Marching Fire is out y'all. I did some arcade with a buddy, and even at the level 2 blue tier the AI started to get feisty. Lots of feints and parries, pretty sure they're level 3 bots. Also the new graphics look really good, drat.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

In my experience it doesn't get much more enjoyable once you learn it anyway

I would even say that the console version is the best version if you don't plan on getting super into it. It lets you get away with more silly poo poo and pick heroes that have fallen behind due to power creep.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
New graphics look noticeably better to someone who's been playing a lot recently. They really changed up the weapon stuff again, perks are kinda neat. Game is chill and cool.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Marching Fire is out y'all. I did some arcade with a buddy, and even at the level 2 blue tier the AI started to get feisty. Lots of feints and parries, pretty sure they're level 3 bots. Also the new graphics look really good, drat.

Nice, I was looking forward to the arcade mode being a challenge. Good to know it'll kick my rear end six ways to sunday.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Gazaar posted:

New graphics look noticeably better to someone who's been playing a lot recently. They really changed up the weapon stuff again, perks are kinda neat. Game is chill and cool.

I wish they had increased the gear cap though, cause with the perks there's more incentive to keep a variety of equipment.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Nice, I was looking forward to the arcade mode being a challenge. Good to know it'll kick my rear end six ways to sunday.

One round was an on fire Orochi that did bleed damage and he was spewing out feints and guard counters and all kinds of crazy poo poo. It hurt! It was fun! Yay video game!

Edit:

Gear drops seem to be pretty low again, and XP gains in PvE modes are even less than before. drat.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 17, 2018

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Jiang Jun is a blast to play. I'll need to mess around more with the other new heroes but if I had to pick one it would be the guy who slaps you on a parry.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Capn Beeb posted:

I wish they had increased the gear cap though, cause with the perks there's more incentive to keep a variety of equipment.

Yeah in no time flat I was staring at a massive, bloated inventory that maybe needs a different arrangement for navigation.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Played after months last night. Did a breach which seems better than dominion in every way except that I just chain died over and over since I suck. I thought I was dying much faster than I remember but probably due to the sucking. I hated the old gear stats so I’m glad to see them rework it but I’m not sure how much I like the new perks yet. Do they get better past the unlock point or is it just hit this number and anything under/over does nothing?

Did a duel against the new monk guy and he seems like he can pull off some slick combos once you learn him. If I had more free time to play this I would definitely buy marching fire but I don’t think I will be able to play enough to be worth it right now.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

The new armor is really, really good you guys.

Capn Beeb posted:

Eh, I'm not too worried about it. Perks look to be pretty pathetically weak in general, and if you give it a week people will hash out the two-per-class worth bothering with.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I wanna check out the new PvE arena but Ubi messed up releasing this two weeks after AC Odyssey and a couple days before Soul Calibur 6. I have no time!!

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Rainuwastaken posted:

The new armor is really, really good you guys.

Unless you play Vikings :smith:

Valk’s is okay but otherwise... yeah....

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Unless you play Vikings :smith:

Valk’s is okay but otherwise... yeah....

I like Valk and Zerks

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Bi-annual post: Did they make Shugoki not- super fun but also hosed over by everything yet?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

No. But he is still super fun. I don't think they even nerfed him recently either. Makes me wary.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I fuckin' love the idea of playing a Grappler in For Honor; And when you're playing people who aren't on-point, he's SO much fun, but just knowing every time you play someone truly competent the best you can hope for is 'Not Die', because killing them would require them to be stupid is so deeply frustrating. He needs the Gief-style threat of an SPD, basically a 'Do not stand next to me or terrible things will happen to you'.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Also turn off the ability for team mates to eat your super armor.

Lando Kardashian
Jul 11, 2007

pissidential

I cant take fighting with pubbies anymore now that Siege mode has arrived.

Please add me for ps4 group PSN: LandoKardashian

I usually main Nobushi, but can make use of Kensei, Berseker and Lawbringer. I have Cent but I suck with him.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Shaolin and Tiandi are fun as hell, that and they never stop screaming which according to forums, already makes weak babymen upset so all the better.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Lando Kardashian posted:

I cant take fighting with pubbies anymore now that Siege mode has arrived.

Please add me for ps4 group PSN: LandoKardashian

I usually main Nobushi, but can make use of Kensei, Berseker and Lawbringer. I have Cent but I suck with him.

I am the only member of the psn group and i sold the game a long time ago

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Is the arena mode worth it? I want to try it but $30 is a lot.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Arcade is kinda novel and fun with a friend when you start doing the hard poo poo, but not really :30bux: worth unless you really like the look of the Wu Lin guys too.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Do you have to be any particular level with a character to get the new armor?

Also, man I suck at this game + arcade is hard as poo poo, what with the me sucking thing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

Do you have to be any particular level with a character to get the new armor?

Also, man I suck at this game + arcade is hard as poo poo, what with the me sucking thing.

The new armor comes in when your character's I think rep 3-4+, Law gets his cape, Nobushi and others get their exposed face, Cent turns into skeletor.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Guess I better start grinding if I want to get anyone high enough to unlock their poo poo, then, since my highest is rep 2 Shinobi.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Yeah one of my problems is after two or three games with one character getting my rear end beat I want to play someone else so I just never get good at anything. The new tactics training or whatever it’s called is really useful but it goes out the window for me as soon as I play real people.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Comrayn posted:

Yeah one of my problems is after two or three games with one character getting my rear end beat I want to play someone else so I just never get good at anything. The new tactics training or whatever it’s called is really useful but it goes out the window for me as soon as I play real people.

Honestly, there's never been much reason to play other people than to just... play other people. You don't get any extra loot as I recall, and maybe a slight bump in XP gain. That's it. No shame in sticking to PvE mode with pals or pubs :)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Capn Beeb posted:

Honestly, there's never been much reason to play other people than to just... play other people. You don't get any extra loot as I recall, and maybe a slight bump in XP gain. That's it. No shame in sticking to PvE mode with pals or pubs :)

other people are a lot more fun than bots though

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

The bots also teach you really bad habits for playing other people. However, they still help you get a feel for what you're playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

You are the gamer coward