Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
"He was a good man deep down."

We are talking about the guy who just watched a woman have a seizure because he thought it was the most profitable course of action, right?

Also, I kinda understand Yusuke not taking the money. He only did just find his muse and he doesn't want to taint it with his own desire for financial gain, I suppose.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Yusuke was my favorite character before the game came out. I liked his design, and his name reminded me of Yu Yu Hakusho. That impression didn't last long once I started reading this LP. I kind of like weird artist personality they gave him, or at least I would if he had more presence in the game, as Arist said.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 19, 2018

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

"He was a good man deep down."

We are talking about the guy who just watched a woman have a seizure because he thought it was the most profitable course of action, right?
The "humans are a land of contrasts" thing probably would have worked better if they used character who wasn't evil enough to have a motherfucking Palace as their example.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Prometheus is cool but has to compete with the classic charm of Necronomicon, it doesnt even compare.

The other 2 are just complete downgrades.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yusuke’s is trash but I actually really like Hecate.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I actually like Hecate's design, but I'm not a fan of Carmen's corkscrew pigtails.

But yeah, using Susanoo again is a let down, when you could have more interesting figures to use.

Prometheus is alright, but again it's a let down after Necronomicon

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Haifisch posted:

The "humans are a land of contrasts" thing probably would have worked better if they used character who wasn't evil enough to have a motherfucking Palace as their example.

Poor point considering we already had two cases of people with palaces who weren't (entirely) evil.

But yeah, this scene was yet another reason why Madarame's last second reveal about being responsible for the death of Yusuke's mother being really stupid. Even now, it's actively making the story worse.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

But yeah, using Susanoo again is a let down, when you could have more interesting figures to use.

They didn't even give him a cool design. He's just Generic Samurai Dude. At least Goemon had those sick platform heels and the giant pipe.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I want Kawanabe to read the phonebook to me. What an incredible voice.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This is the second time Prometheus has been an ultimate Persona.

It's the third goddamn time Susanoo has been an ultimate.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

This is the second time Prometheus has been an ultimate Persona.

It's the third goddamn time Susanoo has been an ultimate.
The hilarious thing about comparing Baofu and Futaba is that both are the tech-savvy members of their groups, with Baofu specializing in wiretaps and electronic surveillance (and occasionally being a rumormonger via 1999-era online chatrooms) while Futaba specializes in coding and hacking. Yosuke and Yusuke....don't really have anything in common outside of very similar sounding names. Seriously, it feels the devs peaked very early with Yusuke and forgot that he was supposed to have a character after his big recruitment arc.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Susano-o is good because he looks like Tecmo-Koei's take on him in Warriors Orochi 3 and I liked that guy even if he was a huge rear end in a top hat. Sure would have been nice to have a rebellious artist kind of guy there, though.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

There's Arachne, the Loomer, if you stretch the interpretation?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It is possible it’s meant to be different aspects/versions of Susanoo, for example Yosuke’s would be Susanoo the son of Izanagi, whilst Yusuke’s would be the rebel/rival and trickster against Ameterasu, not a great explanation but we’ve had different aspects of the same being show up in the past.

Arachne would have been a repeat too, and Yusuke is intentionally stylised as the Traditional Japanese themed character so I’d say maybe just go for a famous fox spirit?

Tamamo-no-Mae could work, Fox Spirit who became the favoured courtesan of an emperor she tried to slowly poison to death, and generally killed kings and rulers and caused rebellions.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 19, 2018

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Yusuke started with trying to coerce Ann to strip for him, and ended up pretty much bland and inconsequential.

He's just an all-around bad character, lobster scene aside.

Haru's nice. Haru could have been the 4th party member instead of Yusuke.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Yusuke is a badly written character because he his recruitment arc features him as a sexual predator then after he's recruited it's never mentioned again as he slips into being an eccentric sideliner.

Anne is a badly written character because her whole story is about how she is an object of physical desire, both negatively as a victim of the volleyball coach and positively as a successful model, without much else. Reducing a female character to her looks is both played-out and regressive.

I kinda like Futaba as a character but it's gross that her character art in her phantom thief outfit has her rear end aimed at the viewer (she's fuckin 15).

I think Makoto and Haru are both pretty good, though. And it may taint the rest of my opinions here but I actually like Morgana for the most part (but I'm a sucker for cats).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Wait, why does Futaba get to summon/ride around in motherfucking Zelos? She's not even a Silvite with a shard of the white moon crystal inside of her!

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Alkydere posted:

Wait, why does Futaba get to summon/ride around in motherfucking Zelos? She's not even a Silvite with a shard of the white moon crystal inside of her!

But she is nerdy enough to get that reference, and really isn't that close enough?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Stroth posted:

But she is nerdy enough to get that reference, and really isn't that close enough?

Point. Also that game needs more love.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I love Yusuke. I think he's the best character in the game. He's just so genuinely funny, his 'starving artist' shtick is the best running joke in the whole game. Story-wise he doesn't really do much, but like 80% of his dialogue is very entertaining.

Ann is a good girl. Maybe a little bland, but there's nothing remotely unlikable about her. She's just a nice person, and I'd totally hang out with her.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
With a name like fox I'm just surprised he didn't get O-Inari.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
For me, Ann's thing (at least in the other half of her story, the Confidant sessions) is that she's had enough of having life happen at her and just going with the flow without effort and now wants to be a strong, actualized, driven person while not really knowing what that means yet. It gets across and appeals relatively well, I think.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Finally finished binging on this LP, only took me a little over a week. :v:

I will chime in that I really dislike the second awakening personas, all of them feel like a step down design-wise from the initial ones. The thematic progression from folk-lore figure to god is kind of cool and mirrors the progression of the Phantom Thieves themselves, at least up until Okumura, but the designs are poo poo.

GeneX posted:

Haru's nice. Haru could have been the 4th party member instead of Yusuke.

Haru definitely feels rushed and I wish she'd been introduced way earlier. It's kinda surprising how much she's been fleshed out in her limited time though. Like, she honestly has more of a defined character than Ann at this point, which is really damning of the writing for Ann considering she's been around since the first palace.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I actually really like Seiten Taisei.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Eh, it's certainly the best of the second awakenings we've seen so far in terms of design, but I still consider it a step down from Kidd.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Ann's social link is all over the place but I do like her as a character. She is set up to be a femme fatale but in reality that couldn't be further from the truth as outside of her looks she is a compassionate goof ball.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It does feel like the awakened persona except for Prometheus and Seiten Taisei dilute the theme. but yeah, Yusuke is just badly placed and not allowed to really do much, while Ann is more a collection of tropes.

Here's what I would've pick if I were designing the game

Goemon - Benziten, one of the lucky gods associated with the arts, or Jizo the protector of children and the vulnerable.

Milady - Medea

Joanna - Hatshepsut (motorcycle to Sphinx)

Carmen - Lilith

Necronomicon - honestly, I feel like that should've been the final, with something else as the starter persona.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

sudonim posted:

Yusuke is a badly written character because he his recruitment arc features him as a sexual predator then after he's recruited it's never mentioned again as he slips into being an eccentric sideliner.

I'm willing to give Yusuke a pass for this 'cause teenagers are loving dumb (and for that matter, desperate). He took advantage of a situation to do something pretty hosed up, sure, but he never acted that way again, implying that he learned his lesson.

People do stupid and awful poo poo all the time, usually against their better judgment because they give in to temptation, and then they regret doing so later. I feel like this was one of those moments for Yusuke and, in my opinion, it makes him a slightly more compelling/believable character. I just wish that they had called more attention to the fact that he never did it again/never wanted to do it again (ideally through a private conversation with Protagonist/Ryuji) to drive home the point.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

She is set up to be a femme fatale but in reality that couldn't be further from the truth as outside of her looks she is a compassionate goof ball.

See I totally get that but her tasteless poses in combat (see the stunned animation for instance) and overall representation are plain cringe worthy sometimes. Maybe it's a case of "too many cooks" where artists and writers were not quite on the same page as to who she is as a character, maybe it's just *anime* but it turned me off her really quickly.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

See I totally get that but her tasteless poses in combat (see the stunned animation for instance) and overall representation are plain cringe worthy sometimes. Maybe it's a case of "too many cooks" where artists and writers were not quite on the same page as to who she is as a character, maybe it's just *anime* but it turned me off her really quickly.

I get that as well. When it comes to P5 I like it enough that at times I can tend to focus on what they were trying to do then what was actually achieved in the game which is why I am so disappointed that they are not planning to release a remake where they could have taken their time to rework the parts of the game that feel half done.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Particularly when Haru shows up and spends most of her screen time in a relatively tasteful thief outfit and a giant bulky sweater. Like hey, great, she's proof that the writers can create a compelling female character without really sexualizing her at all (granted she still deals with the omnipresent sexual assault drama that plagues almost every female confidant). Then you have Ann where it was a whole thing that Kamoshida neither knew nor cared about any aspect of Ann besides her physical appearance, as evidenced by his cognition of Ann being a brain-dead piece of meat in a bikini. The game rightly portrays this as disgusting. But then... the game itself focuses on nothing but her looks while mostly skirting around everything but the bare bones of her personality. It's pretty bad.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Sydin posted:

Particularly when Haru shows up and spends most of her screen time in a relatively tasteful thief outfit and a giant bulky sweater. Like hey, great, she's proof that the writers can create a compelling female character without really sexualizing her at all (granted she still deals with the omnipresent sexual assault drama that plagues almost every female confidant). Then you have Ann where it was a whole thing that Kamoshida neither knew nor cared about any aspect of Ann besides her physical appearance, as evidenced by his cognition of Ann being a brain-dead piece of meat in a bikini. The game rightly portrays this as disgusting. But then... the game itself focuses on nothing but her looks while mostly skirting around everything but the bare bones of her personality. It's pretty bad.

Yeah, that's a huge issue, and there's a lot of Memento Dialogue where Ann and to a lesser extent Makoto complain about their costumes, because there's a weird loving fetish Anime has about women being forced into sexy costumes against their will (the new SNK game even pulled this on Mai "Don't tell me how to dress" Shiranui of all people.)

And she gets - the whole nude painting thing immediately after Kamoshida, and Ryuji and Morgana being weird at her. It doesn't help Shiho is basically a prop, and the interesting things - like being half-white and her love of femme fatale villains get a brush over.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I think of Yusuke as being on the same level as Yukiko in that outside of their Social Links, the writers have no clue how to handle their characters. They're intelligent if a bit sheltered, and they often get reduced doing their one quirky thing as a joke over and over. So they just seem like they're just.....there, as far as the story goes.

Kith posted:

I'm willing to give Yusuke a pass for this 'cause teenagers are loving dumb (and for that matter, desperate). He took advantage of a situation to do something pretty hosed up, sure, but he never acted that way again, implying that he learned his lesson.

People do stupid and awful poo poo all the time, usually against their better judgment because they give in to temptation, and then they regret doing so later. I feel like this was one of those moments for Yusuke and, in my opinion, it makes him a slightly more compelling/believable character. I just wish that they had called more attention to the fact that he never did it again/never wanted to do it again (ideally through a private conversation with Protagonist/Ryuji) to drive home the point.

What makes Yusuke doing this even more boneheaded to me is that it came at the heels of Kamoshida's arc. The game wanted us to hate Kamoshida for the way he abused his power over female students, which is part of the game's themes. So when Yusuke tried to blackmail the party so that he could force Ann to do a nude painting, it's rather tone deaf that he ended up being a main character and the whole thing got quietly swept under the rug.

Also instead of a conversation with Maaku or Ryuji, maybe Yusuke should have had a private conversation with Ann and properly apologized for putting her in such an uncomfortable situation. I haven't checked, but I don't think we actually got a scene of them doing that, right?

Arist posted:

They’re crazier about Shido than ever before… When I think about how he used us… Dammit! It pisses me right the hell off. Well… it’ll be fine. The better his reputation gets, the more I look forward to tearin’ it all down. We’ll make him own up to all this bullshit. Then they’ll see who the real heroes are.

I like to think Ryuji shouted all this aloud and he just casually endangered Maaku again. Goddammit, Ryuji.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I’ve always felt that Yusuke’s earliest stuff is meant to be a reflection on Madarame and Madarame’s habits more than Yusuke himself. He’s acting in a way he thinks Madarame would support/appreciate, wanting to draw a painting of a beautiful woman and doing so in a “flirtatious” manner sounds exactly like something Madarame would do to sleep with someone.

Notably Yusuke always frames it as the pursuit of true artistic beauty, and after learning of Madarame’s crimes completely dropping any learned habits from Madarame would make sense, especially if Yusuke wasn’t personally invested in them in the first place which is how the narrative feels.

In regards to Ann one thing I think her story is trying to do is have her reclaim the parts of her life she used to let passively affect her. Including her physical attractiveness. It helps that honestly Ann only is truly upset by Kamoshida, an adult, a teacher and a man in a position of power over her, wanting to sleep with her. Every interaction with the other Phantom Thieves comes across a little more playfully and I think it makes sense that Ann isn’t as bothered by people her own age acting attracted to her, given they’re peers and equals.

This of course could have been written much better but I see what they were trying to do with both characters and appreciate the attempt if not the final execution.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Sydin posted:

I will chime in that I really dislike the second awakening personas, all of them feel like a step down design-wise from the initial ones. The thematic progression from folk-lore figure to god is kind of cool and mirrors the progression of the Phantom Thieves themselves, at least up until Okumura, but the designs are poo poo.

Robindaybird posted:

It does feel like the awakened persona except for Prometheus and Seiten Taisei dilute the theme. but yeah, Yusuke is just badly placed and not allowed to really do much, while Ann is more a collection of tropes.

I won't argue about designs but the theme the awoken persona share are each one rebelled against god/heaven/etc in some way. Off the top of my head,

Sun Wukong got offended by heaven so he stole some of their artifacts and beat the poo poo out of their army.

Hecate sided with Zeus in overthrowing her fellow titans.

Prometheus stole fire from Zeus and gave it to humanity.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

When you think about it Zeus was essentially Kamoshida with shapeshifting

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
Edit: someone else pointed out what I wanted to say.

Edit edit: Found something to mention.

Robindaybird posted:

Goemon - Benziten, one of the lucky gods associated with the arts, or Jizo the protector of children and the vulnerable.

Milady - Medea

Joanna - Hatshepsut (motorcycle to Sphinx)

Carmen - Lilith

Necronomicon - honestly, I feel like that should've been the final, with something else as the starter persona.

All of the final personae have a thing in common, their stories supposedly have an element where the Base Stole something.
Though looking through their entries some of them don't and others do, but eh.

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 20, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Speaking of Kamoshida, this is a trailer for the Spin off Persona Q2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ycL7Tf07yI

Also the opening for that game is cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpSt6-L2caw

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm a bit worried as PQ was a huge example of characters being reduced down to 1-2 exaggerated traits - and P5 already have issues with that with Ann, Yusuke and Futaba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nobody ever figured it out and I just remembered I asked people to guess forever ago so the link between Ryuji's Personas is literally just that they're both references to insanely popular manga. That's it.