Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Koichi is a delinquent and all around a bad boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Johnny Joestar posted:

3. the lighter does not go out for 24 hours. the person returns to polpo with a lit lighter and has shown that they are dedicated enough to manage such a thing to where they should be allowed into the gang based on that alone. it's implied leaky eye luca managed this, as he did not have a stand.

That lighter does not have 24 hours of fluid. The actual third option is the person returns the unlit lighter to polpo and owns up to it, proving their trustworthiness.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think the amount of fluid is something that would come into play when it's literally part of a stand that summons a goddamn wraith that stabs people through the soul with an arrow

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also I did not really notice in the Manga, but man Black Sabbath has an awesome design.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I didn't know snakes were so fond of bread.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well duh. They evolved powerful coils to crush it into smaller and more easily swallowable pieces.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Option 5. The lighter goes out. You say "eh gently caress it" and throw it away and don't go back to Polpo.

Another gang member probably kills you

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RatHat posted:

It was very tasty

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also the wraith might show up even if you don't relight the lighter and accuse you of letting the lighter go out instead after he gets tired of waiting

also the lighter might go out no matter what you do

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Sindai posted:

Well duh. They evolved powerful coils to crush it into smaller and more easily swallowable pieces.

Snakes are bread's natural enemy and chief predator. The marks you often see on the tops of loafs of bread are scars from previous encounters with snakes.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

3. the lighter does not go out for 24 hours. the person returns to polpo with a lit lighter and has shown that they are dedicated enough to manage such a thing to where they should be allowed into the gang based on that alone. it's implied leaky eye luca managed this, as he did not have a stand.
I don't think there's any confirmation that leaky eye luca was or was not a stand user. Just because someone is a stand user doesn't mean they're going to bring it out every chance they get.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I doubt Polpo would’ve disposed of Luka if he was a stand user. Well, I assume the order was from Polpo, It could’ve been from the top boss.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Wait what about that part where Bruno says Polpo's tests are different depending on how he feels? I know most likely that was just "I plead the fifth" stuff but maybe they needed some aggro mook at the time to play loan shark duty and Polpo just asked Luca what 2 + 2 is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

I doubt Polpo would’ve disposed of Luka if he was a stand user. Well, I assume the order was from Polpo, It could’ve been from the top boss.

Umm Luka was dead, they did not dispose of him.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Umm Luka was dead, they did not dispose of him.

Giorno put him into a coma, Bruno finished him off with orders from above.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 20, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

Giorno put him into a coma, Bruno finished him off with orders from above.

Yeah for intimidation tactics. Cause you know Luka was brain dead from having half of his skull being caved in and was going to just uselessly take up space in a hospital. Like Stand user or not the situation would be the same, cause Luka would not recover.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Snakes are bread's natural enemy and chief predator. The marks you often see on the tops of loafs of bread are scars from previous encounters with snakes.

I'm not going to doubt that snakes eat bread, but does anyone know if they need a lot of it? If I get a snake, how many breads is it going to need to eat over its lifetime?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah for intimidation tactics. Cause you know Luka was brain dead from having half of his skull being caved in and was going to just uselessly take up space in a hospital. Like Stand user or not the situation would be the same, cause Luka would not recover.

Bruno says "Leaky Eye Luca was disposed of by our boss. He said that there's no point in him living anymore." Interpret that however you want.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Anime-only here, this season has some dumb bullshit so far but that was a neat episode.

Mr. Fowl posted:

how many breads have they eaten

Jackard fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 20, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
While I'm an anime-first JoJo experiencer, so I haven't seen the relevant manga chapter, I definitely feel like this episode in particular was enhanced by the addition of sound, colour, and motion. The whole episode had a fairytale vibe, with the meeting with Polpo in particular feeling like Giorno was petitioning some strange and terrible ogre for passage into fairyland.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

RatHat posted:

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh boy, are they going to have an egg on their face when some newbie joins a couple days later and it turns out his stand can heal people.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

While I'm an anime-first JoJo experiencer, so I haven't seen the relevant manga chapter, I definitely feel like this episode in particular was enhanced by the addition of sound, colour, and motion. The whole episode had a fairytale vibe, with the meeting with Polpo in particular feeling like Giorno was petitioning some strange and terrible ogre for passage into fairyland.

It's still pretty wacky and the abruptness of the bed and fingers were maybe a little better presented in manga form but the hallway being black and green as gently caress was an anime addition and was very nice.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dragonwagon posted:

Oh boy, are they going to have an egg on their face when some newbie joins a couple days later and it turns out his stand can heal people.

just as long as they don't insult the hair

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Did you guys know Batta did an English version of Chase as a bonus track on their new album? I don’t have a youtube link or anything but the album’s on Spotify, at least in Japan. Just like Fighting Gold in English, I think I had an easier time understanding the song in Japanese, but its still a cool novelty, I think!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

man with how wild and random some stands are it feels like a needless risk. you dont wanna poke someone with an arrow and it turns out their stand is a mobile telephone that is always broadcasting the user's conversations into the sky in the form of a banner held by an unidentifiable flying object (stand name: jefferson airplane)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm allergic to Wheat, suck it Dio!

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Kurtofan posted:

The lighter business was fukken hilarious

Love the comedic timing of Giorno going "I have a dream and I need this lighter to get there!" and then water immediately comes flying towards him.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
God this episode was so good. Meeting Polpo was violently surreal. I didnt think David Prod could get better at making anime but every season feels so much better than the last imo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah the atmosphere inside the prison was on-point

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It was Polpo's colours that really did it. He looked like some giant demonic toy in that super-gothic prison.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

wait, polpo didn't tell you about ligma???

*guards draw weapons*

drat, i thought that would work. my test has already begun...

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

So Polpo's stand Black Sabbath allows him to do this lighter thing, trick people into eating his own fingers and/or contort into a bed.

How much of Polpo is stand powers and the other natural talent? Also head canon says Polpo is Shigechi's estranged father similar to Dio/Giorno's relationship

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I think the bed thing is just how he sleeps, not a stand.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I think the bed thing is a stand ability

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eA-yr11XNc

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I mean, like, someone has probably drawn the part 4 characters in the Ed, Edd, Eddy style,right?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

So Polpo's stand Black Sabbath allows him to do this lighter thing, trick people into eating his own fingers and/or contort into a bed.

In much the same way that J. Geil's dome that protects him from water is never explained, I don't think Polpo eating his fingers ever comes up again.

Especially since we've seen Black Sabbath's power involves ripping out a person's soul and piercing them with the Stand Arrow. :v:

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I mean, like, someone has probably drawn the part 4 characters in the Ed, Edd, Eddy style,right?

I've seen it. Johnny was Kira.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I don't recall it being referred to as Black Sabbath or any name yet. Thanks for the spoiler manga readers :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

He just looks like a Black Sabbath, you know?