Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

golden bubble posted:

It's like American macro-economic policy. Most of the current heads learned that inflation is Satan during stagflation of the late 70s-early 80s. It might just take a generational shift for economic leaders to give inequality anywhere near as much prominence as inflation.

Inflation and inequality are really divorced from one another policy wise, the former being the responsibility of the Fed. It's simply that politicians don't care about income inequality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

psydude posted:

Inflation and inequality are really divorced from one another policy wise, the former being the responsibility of the Fed. It's simply that politicians don't care about income inequality.

The fed is also supposed to care about the employment rate I believe, but they traditionally weight inflation much more heavily.

But that's not inequality really.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Crakkerjakk posted:

The fed is also supposed to care about the employment rate I believe, but they traditionally weight inflation much more heavily.

But that's not inequality really.

A very simplified version of it is that a strong economy means low unemployment, but growing inflation and increasing consumer prices. So by raising interest rates they can help offset inflation.

But yeah, technically 99% of the workforce could work at minimum wage while we have low unemployment.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

golden bubble posted:

During the rise of St. Reagan, the democrats learned that a ultra-centrist platform was the best way to get votes. It's going to take a while for the old democratic establishment to learn that times have changed. For many of the old national democrats, they can't learn this new lesson, and have to be replaced instead.

It's like American macro-economic policy. Most of the current heads learned that inflation is Satan during stagflation of the late 70s-early 80s. It might just take a generational shift for economic leaders to give inequality anywhere near as much prominence as inflation.

Unfortunately we don't have the time to wait "a while" for the Dems to learn the times are changing. We don't have time to wait for a generational shift and it doesn't matter if we did. Those in power don't give a poo poo about inequality no matter the team.

Rome is burning. I just hope more people join the bucket brigade than take up the fiddle.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I don't think there's a single financial situation out there that has even begun to address the pretty fundamental fact that economies based around infinite growth don't work on one planet, so that'll be a fun little side project to figure out.

Of course we'll all be dead from climate change before that's a significant political problem.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Climate change will solve the jobs problem because in the dark future every hand will be needed for labor in the new world.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

Climate change will solve the jobs problem because in the dark future every hand will be needed for labor in the new world.

this but unironically

(leverage gained by the 25% deaths from the black death gave us the european improvement in living conditions)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Godholio posted:

It's gonna be this.

Edit:
"We got into a fistfight and we kicked his rear end so bad he just broke into a bunch of pieces."

I used to have a putty power ranger toy as a kid and when you hit a button on its chest all of the extremities would explode via spring away from the trunk.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Ohhh, so it was actually the democrats that have been moving so far left this entire time. It wasn't at all the GOP moving so far to the right there's barely anything to their right left anymore for the past twenty years.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1053355470449127424

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
I don't know why everybody is so concerned about devastating climate change when the solution is staring us in the face. We just need a nuclear exchange between Pakistan and India. The climate will drop, less people will be producing fossil fuels (not that they are even the cause of climate change), and a large amount of potential climate refugees won't be around to become climate refugees. We can even maintain our current existence of serving those who live in their towers of avarice while we subsist off the scraps they provide us. Checkmate libs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Ohhh, so it was actually the democrats that have been moving so far left this entire time. It wasn't at all the GOP moving so far to the right there's barely anything to their right left anymore for the past twenty years.

It's really cool how they're using the mob narrative to preemptively delegitimize the upcoming elections.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

BaconAndBullets posted:

I don't know why everybody is so concerned about devastating climate change when the solution is staring us in the face. We just need a nuclear exchange between Pakistan and India. The climate will drop, less people will be producing fossil fuels (not that they are even the cause of climate change), and a large amount of potential climate refugees won't be around to become climate refugees. We can even maintain our current existence of serving those who live in their towers of avarice while we subsist off the scraps they provide us. Checkmate libs.

One of my more useless skills is remembering Futurama jokes. Global warming will be cancelled out by nuclear winter.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

As Nero Danced posted:

One of my more useless skills is remembering Futurama jokes. Global warming will be cancelled out by nuclear winter.

We didn't think the four horsemen would be racing like it's at the track, but here we are.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

It's really cool how they're using the mob narrative to preemptively delegitimize the upcoming elections.

He's seriously hitting all the greatest hits of Fascism 101. "My political opponents are a violent mob, the political process is rigged if I don't win, reporters are the enemy of the people, your suffering is caused by this minority group, we need law and order, only I can protect you." Just waiting for words to turn into deeds.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
"Stop hitting yourself with a bonesaw, Khashoggi! Nooo. It was a suicide really. He just fell apart somehow. It must have been stress. Totally not us." -Saudi official line

"I am satisfied with the Saudi explanation. Very believable." -Trump

"Remember that governor who beat up a journalist? My kind of guy." -Trump, in the same week as above. :smugdon:

It's as if things that are said might actually matter, but who am I kidding? It's 2018.

Vote while you have the chance.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

He's starting to get that really tired look presidents don't get until term 2.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

EBB posted:

He looks like he's been losing weight. But like the kind of losing weight that drug addicts or depressed people do.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yes, rapid stress weight loss makes your cheeks a bit hollow.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

psydude posted:

He looks like he's been losing weight. But like the kind of losing weight that drug addicts or depressed people do.

I'm sure his blood pressure is increasing as well.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

EBB posted:

Good.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Typhus outbreak in Los Angeles and yes this is somehow current events and not news from the 14th century

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/18/los-angeles-typhus-outbreak-homeless

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

Typhus outbreak in Los Angeles and yes this is somehow current events and not news from the 14th century

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/18/los-angeles-typhus-outbreak-homeless

Vaccines cause autism

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
We put all these people in the poo poo gutter and now they are diseased, this is a most strange outcome indeed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Waroduce posted:

Vaccines cause autism

There isn't a typhus vaccine. Typhus spreads in crowded slums with poor sanitation via fleas and ticks.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Casual reminder that rich white people are vaccinating their children at a rate usually seen in one of the worlds most impoverished and war-torn nations.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/09/wealthy-la-schools-vaccination-rates-are-as-low-as-south-sudans/380252/

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Casual reminder that rich white people are vaccinating their children at a rate usually seen in one of the worlds most impoverished and war-torn nations.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/09/wealthy-la-schools-vaccination-rates-are-as-low-as-south-sudans/380252/

Thats an old article and US vaccine rates are up.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mlmp08 posted:

Thats an old article and US vaccine rates are up.

Not really

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/vaccine-rates-are-so-are-refusals-n838811

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This is a real goddamned headline from this goddamned week: Witches to 'hex' Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh; exorcists pray in response

This saddest part is that I honestly hope that hex poo poo works.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2018 headline of the year!

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

maffew buildings posted:

"By engaging the public sphere with their physical presence, women bring about all sexual harassment incidents, just solely by being present. This is a biological inevitability that only they can take responsibility for" - Dr. Jordan Peterson

"If we were to deconstruct cases of rape for what they are, miscommunication between genders, we would find there are far less occurrences than stated and gain a better understanding of how to eliminate the gender aggressions on male society" - Dr. Jordan Peterson

drat where did he say this?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

BigDave posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2018 headline of the year!

There’s still two months left in the year.

Apathetic Medic
Apr 22, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is a real goddamned headline from this goddamned week: Witches to 'hex' Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh; exorcists pray in response

This saddest part is that I honestly hope that hex poo poo works.

#imwitchher

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Witches go on chapo

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Witches go on chapo

:emptyquote:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

There isn't a typhus vaccine. Typhus spreads in crowded slums with poor sanitation via fleas and ticks.

There isn't any commercially available typhus vaccines
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhus_vaccine

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

There’s still two months left in the year.

Needs to have something about Fortnite or twitter in the headline to really be the headline of the year imo

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Don't forget pete and ariana.

Guillotine.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Don't forget pete and ariana.

Guillotine.

I need Pete and Ariana to stick it out so I can convince an idiot friend of mine brain meds work. (I'm only like 45% joking here)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'd rather listen to Arianas' idiot brother that was on big brother attempt to sing falsetto any of Whitney Houstons' catalog and murder my eardrums than acknowledge the "news" those two generate.

John Legend/Chrissy Teigen best celeb couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'd rather listen to Arianas' idiot brother that was on big brother attempt to sing falsetto any of Whitney Houstons' catalog and murder my eardrums than acknowledge the "news" those two generate.

John Legend/Chrissy Teigen best celeb couple.

I didn't know it was a thing until I googled it and now I hate everyone even more

• Locked thread