Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jimbozig posted:

So I actually clicked the link to see what this competitive D&D was going to be and was interested to see that it's not like the old tournament modules but is instead a PvP battle arena.

And apparently there will be a pick/ban thing? But how does that work... Will we never get to see any wizards or bards because those are the obvious best bans?

I wonder how much influence Wizards has over the content of the character builds and the team composition. The teams "competing" seem like they are not really competing so much as participating in a marketing stunt. When they have an open tournament with cash prizes and SA or 4chan or whoever enters a team of the most unbelievable twinked out minmaxed bullshit, then I'll believe it's a competition instead of a deceptive ad campaign.

My guess is (if the DMs they recruited to help build the characters were even vaguely proficient in the game) the premade casters will have some deliberately "suboptimal" picks in their available spells like direct damage spells, buffs, and situationally-useful things like water breathing over full save-or-dies and mass-disables. Some goofy poo poo will still slip through, and I don't expect that the melee classes will be able to do much anyway besides hit things and grunt, but it'll also depend on the character level too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Ran the first session of Marvel Heroic Roleplaying and it was alot of fun, not sure I was following all the rules but it was good enough for an intro and a little campaign hook. The only thing I"m missing from the basic book for the system is a bunch of enemy templates for BBEGs or just mooks to beat up on. I made stuff up on the spot figuring roughly what would be up to but is there like a monster manual equivalent for that system I could find?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

fool_of_sound posted:

Don’t give every card a point value. Hell, run it fairly narratively.

-Deck Theme: Bug, Dinosaur, Ocean, Sexy Lady, Cute, Wizards, ect

-Deck Style: Raw power, rare cards, tricksy bullshit, card theft, instant win, crazy combo

-Signature Cards: Blue Eyes White Magician & Castlebreaker Turtle, Monster Girl Sisters, Cartoon Archangel

-Secret Ancient Civilization Power: Sees through walls/backs of cards, memory rewriting, cheaty teleportation

Your card game tools are based mostly on your deck style, with a few bonus things based on theme and signature cards. Have a running narrative for the duel, and maybe throw in like power of friendship or cheat/countercheat type stuff that characters not currently engaged in the duel can do

i mean the real problem is that he seems to want to use actual yugioh cards but yeah honestly i would almost run it like a game of Dr magnet hands only less random

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Invisible Sun Kickstarter rises again!

quote:

Invisible Sun is an enormously complex product to make and deliver—almost certainly the most audacious RPG production of all time, and among the most complex of all tabletop games in any category. That’s why we’re taking the reprint to Kickstarter. A Kickstarter campaign not only funds a costly print run, it also helps us judge demand to ensure we make the right quantity. Too many is wasteful—not only of our resources, but at 33lb (15kg) per game, of the world’s as well. Too few leaves us in exactly the situation we’re in now, with gamers clammoring for a Black Cube that we can’t give them. A Kickstarter campaign helps us get the number just right.

"Kickstarter allows us to make just the right amount of product, so please back this, the same project again, because last time we didn't make enough."

From what I've heard and what little I've seen, is Invisible Sun actually all that complex? Or, is it more just needlessly arcane? I'll grant that it's certainly audacious!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Covok posted:

The Yu-Gi-Oh! one.

That...actually sounds kind of cool.

Actually, that is basically that Japanese game that I was almost in from one of the forum members here. He planned to translate as he went but...well, you can kind of see the logistic issuses in that. Translating an RPG book from japanese to english, even if you can speak both, takes time and effort and life affords us little "free" units of those in this capitalistic hellhole where we all simply commodities sold and bought by corporations like we were something as worthless as a candy bar or a condom.

I think the game was called "Card Spirit" and it seemed dope as hell, yo.

It ran pretty well, and since live gm, polymerize worked just like the show, and random things like using a catapult turtle to fling a monster at the castle to drop it on your opponent's monsters could actually happen.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lord help me I'm gonna play Pathfinder after almost a decade

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

Plutonis posted:

I'm sorry this is happening to you.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

Hold! Why do you do this! What you are doing is wrong!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Plutonis posted:

I hope you have fun with your friends

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

hey, don't go all badwrongfun on people

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Splicer posted:

Why isn’t there a ttrpg about Star Control? Aside from the license being a disaster at this point.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, do people still play fragged empire? Kind of feels like that game died out, though I did hear about more supplements coming out. I just don't hear no one talk about it anymore. I remember it got pretty popular for a hot minute then nothing. But maybe it's just the circles I swim in.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

So, do people still play fragged empire? Kind of feels like that game died out, though I did hear about more supplements coming out. I just don't hear no one talk about it anymore. I remember it got pretty popular for a hot minute then nothing. But maybe it's just the circles I swim in.

every time it comes up, the usual refrain is that it's a bit hard to grok at first blush

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Empire seems like more bookkeeping than I want to deal with but I'm outlining something for Aeteturnum.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Fragged is great, their discord is pretty healthy.

It could definitely use a module or two to help show the expected styles of play.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Any good Actual Plays of Fragged?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

I hope you have fun with your friends

Thank you. I'm making a mesmerist gnome.

Dec 26, 2012

Covok posted:

Yeah, I'm running it. It's a little hard to wrap your head around at first but pretty solid once you do (some stuff I do handwave though). Having now gone through Fragged Seas/Fragged Kingdom more I think they're a lot more streamlined permutations of the system (though still pretty weighty) - I hope there's an Empire v2 at some point that incorporates some of those changes.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I'm running a Fragged Kingdom game at the moment and it's going pretty well. I wish it had more premade encounters though.

Dec 26, 2012

That’s 100% true. More premade enemies would be welcome.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I am still running a game of Empire as well. It's monthly though, so gives me plenty of time to make stuff for each session.
I'd totally buy a book of premade enemies, and premade equipment etc (more than the armouries)

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

hey, don't go all badwrongfun on people

bad fun exists

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Elfgames posted:

bad fun exists

what about wrong fun

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ghost Leviathan posted:

what about wrong fun

It also exists but it's stuff like, dog fights or laughing at "cringe" people.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Coolness Averted posted:

Also isn't one of the big gimmicks the villains and Yugi were both cheating? Ranging from 'the magic ghost in my necklace lets me intuit the best plays' to
'I literally can make up new cards, see your hand, and kill you in midgame which somehow would also count as you forfeiting?' Or did later seasons move away from that?

It gets worse with every new Yugioh season. :allears:

Pretty much every Yugioh protagonist has done some form of cheating at some point or another, right down to the incredibly blatant ‘I’m going to magically transform this card I just drew into exactly the card I need to win’ trick.

Bullshitting and cheating the rules needs to be a core part of any Yugioh RPG.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Hi folks!

I'm going to be running a Panic! At the Dojo* game later today, the premise is that the Anime Club's president has kidnapped their club's president in order to invoke ancient school laws to take their club's budget. They'll have to fight through the Anime Club's next highest members, the Four Heavenly Kings (of Anime Club) in order to reach the president of Anime Club and rescue their president so they can save their budget!

*I know there's no ! in the name, it's just fun.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
That sounds awesome!

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

It's basically a huge excuse plot because I've never run PatD and need to alleviate my huge anxiety over running games.

Excuse plots are cool though. I already came up with all the stats I need, probably

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I kind of want to run Fragged Empires in the Vaxis universe (that is, after the Amory Wars when the entire galaxy is in shambles in the Coheed and Cambria metaplot). The more I think about it the more I want to make it happen.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Fuego, you ever finish your Dragonball game?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Thank you. I'm making a mesmerist gnome.

Trip report: had a grand old time spamming daze and stunlocking enemies while the rest of the party hosed them up

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Covok posted:

Fuego, you ever finish your Dragonball game?

It's been going through some revisions. I need to rework some of the playbook material and finish up the GM section improvements. While not exactly finished, it is at least playable for the time being. I've had a lot of promising feedback from playtesters that's been helping me move forward with it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is there a Fate thread? I have the core book and an idea for a game but I just don't really get it and want to read more hands on stuff about the system

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's on page 3.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Serious post time: I really really really loving hate internet celebrity gossip/drama poo poo and it's why I have grown to resent the grognards.txt thread because it degenerated into that all the time. But looking at the Industry thread and the 5E thread I realized that it being gassed led to it spilling towards the rest of the forum like the bhopal chemical disaster and I'm wondering if there should be a containment thread for Zak S or whoever so I can safely never click or read it ever.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I'm extremely sorry that people speaking out about malicious bad actors and serial abusers in the industry is making it harder for you to enjoy your elfgames.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Serious post time: I really really really loving hate internet celebrity gossip/drama poo poo and it's why I have grown to resent the grognards.txt thread because it degenerated into that all the time. But looking at the Industry thread and the 5E thread I realized that it being gassed led to it spilling towards the rest of the forum like the bhopal chemical disaster and I'm wondering if there should be a containment thread for Zak S or whoever so I can safely never click or read it ever.

You could just leave SA forever if it bothers you so much, that way everyone gets what they want.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

dismissing people being harassed out of the industry and zak s being a perpetrator of that as 'gossip/drama' is a pretty lovely take

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

You could just leave SA forever if it bothers you so much, that way everyone gets what they want.

See, I'm aware I was an abrasive and rude person on this forum not long ago. I'm trying to make progress on that. I'm getting psychological help. I'm being able to act like an adult and try to talk to people like an adult and resolve situations like an adult. I think that's something that could help this forum as well, stopping with the pointless gossip derails that happen every week or so and take several pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Plutonis posted:

See, I'm aware I was an abrasive and rude person on this forum not long ago. I'm trying to make progress on that. I'm getting psychological help. I'm being able to act like an adult and try to talk to people like an adult and resolve situations like an adult. I think that's something that could help this forum as well, stopping with the pointless gossip derails that happen every week or so and take several pages.

Edit: Meh, needling people over getting help is rude. Still though, calling horrible people out for being horrible isn't pointless gossip.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 20, 2018