Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

danbanana posted:

Compared to LA/Chicago/etc.? Nothing.

Fair State is close to 35W. And even if that's terrible in that area, it's a nice trip up through NE to the 694 loop to reconnect further north and away from downtown. Though it's been a couple years since I did that so maybe a lot has changed?

The more I think about the section I posted, the more I think that it's one of the 5 dumbest beer-related things I've seen. That dude is literally saying he saw something about a coffee type on the internet then bought some of it and- despite it being described as a "delicate" style- decided to toss LITERALLY THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OF HAZELNUTS in with it in his beer. Then boiled it down to paste.

He admits to doing this, as if we're supposed to be impressed.

I am 100% convinced he could have used Folgers instant coffee and came up with the exact same loving beer for probably 2/3 the cost.

"“A lot of people put me into this hype category – and I hate hype, I don’t want that, I just want to keep making the best beer possible and let the beer speak for itself."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

If you were gonna do two out of three between Fair State, Indeed, and Dangerous Man - I'd pick Fair State and Dangerous Man. Barrel Theorys hype (at least out of the people who have told me about them) comes from beer people into haze and stouts.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Flat Earth Brewing triggers me because it combines a culture I despise with something that I know is the truth.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I have 0 experience brewing with coffee but doesn't it turn into a bitter disgusting mess if you boil it for an hour? I always figured it was added separately.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Klaus Kinski posted:

I have 0 experience brewing with coffee but doesn't it turn into a bitter disgusting mess if you boil it for an hour? I always figured it was added separately.

we threw some in the mash when we brewed a big gently caress-off dark beer with Struise and it definitely added some bitterness. i think most people either add cold-brew to the whirlpool (once it's off the beans, heat won't bring out any acidity or tannins) or dose the finished beer (either with cold-brew or by aging it on beans); i would think adding beans to the boil could go wrong pretty easily if you didn't know what you were doing.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

we threw some in the mash when we brewed a big gently caress-off dark beer with Struise and it definitely added some bitterness. i think most people either add cold-brew to the whirlpool (once it's off the beans, heat won't bring out any acidity or tannins) or dose the finished beer (either with cold-brew or by aging it on beans); i would think adding beans to the boil could go wrong pretty easily if you didn't know what you were doing.

I'm not sure it matters when you cover it all up with a metric tonne of hazelnuts?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Homeopathic coffee stout

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Thanks for the Minneapolis/St. Paul recs, everyone. I'll be sure to write up my usual too-many-words review once I'm back. During my trip I'll be driving down to Toppling Goliath/Pulpit Rock. Are there any spots of note in Rochester, since I'll be driving through there on the way?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

bartolimu posted:

Are there any spots of note in Rochester, since I'll be driving through there on the way?

I haven't had anything from them but Forager gets some hype.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
Lololol there is a massive line at rev.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

gently caress.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

danbanana posted:

gently caress.

Great for them. I talked to Marty and he made it seem like they had a decent amount of stock but there were at least 300 people head me. No idea about behind.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

Great for them. I talked to Marty and he made it seem like they had a decent amount of stock but there were at least 300 people head me. No idea about behind.

I just got in line. There's a newborn about 30 people in front of me.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

danbanana posted:

Does the baby get an allotment?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

very stable genius posted:

Does the baby get an allotment?

She would be a bad mule if she didn't!

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

danbanana posted:

I’ve seen several sets of grandparents in line.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

I’ve seen several sets of grandparents in line.

Beer nerds just age quickly.

I forgot how real the stereotypes are. The dudes behind me brought their girlfriends as mules and they are definitely doing nothing but complaining about it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I love beer

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

My favorite part about drinking beer is all the standing in line.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

How else can I feel embarrassment for my interests?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

I once got my Dad to stand in line at Highland Park brewery (I'm a horrible monster, I know) for a can release. Some guys at the business next door asked him, "Hey, what's the line for?". My Dad told them it was for beer and they looked at him dumbfounded and asked him, "Is it free or something?".

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Aww, poor dad. That was nice of him though.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Compusaurus posted:

Did you guys get your VSOJ? This is going to be weird to say, but I kinda am bummed I missed this release.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I was at Suarez during the Domain #2 release and there was a 3' 90+ year old in front of me, which got my eyes rolling until she only ordered a herself pint and some growlers. Rock on, beer nana. :beerpal:

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

ChiTownEddie posted:

Did you guys get your VSOJ? This is going to be weird to say, but I kinda am bummed I missed this release.

I was much ahead of dan and got mine. Dan was also right behind an acquaintance (who got his) so I’m sure he’s fine.

Code shift is fine. VSOJ is, of course, good. Was it worth waiting in like nearly 1.5 hrs? Lol if course not.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

I was much ahead of dan and got mine. Dan was also right behind an acquaintance (who got his) so I’m sure he’s fine.

Code shift is fine. VSOJ is, of course, good. Was it worth waiting in like nearly 1.5 hrs? Lol if course not.

They just tweeted that they're out of Code Switch but still have VSOJ.

I stood in line for those beers then got home and opened an Aqua Predator. Time well spent.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

ISO VSOJ FT mad props, fist bumps, shout outs

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
So yeah, let's meet up Chicagoons, even if Dan can't. I will bring some cool stuff and we will drink and have a merry time. What are the breweries to visit, hopefully kind of centrally located, I don't remember where our hotel is exactly but we won't have a car unless I do some kind of very short term rental deal as the parking at our hotel is insanely expensive. I wanna hit Haymarket, More, Revolution, Off Color, Half Acre ideally, but I'm sure there's more I've never heard of or forgotten. I also wanna go to Pi because my friend used to rave about their European styles.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

So yeah, let's meet up Chicagoons, even if Dan can't. I will bring some cool stuff and we will drink and have a merry time. What are the breweries to visit, hopefully kind of centrally located, I don't remember where our hotel is exactly but we won't have a car unless I do some kind of very short term rental deal as the parking at our hotel is insanely expensive. I wanna hit Haymarket, More, Revolution, Off Color, Half Acre ideally, but I'm sure there's more I've never heard of or forgotten. I also wanna go to Pi because my friend used to rave about their European styles.

It's looking less likely I'll be able to meet up since our babysitting job that weekend is going to take place in the southwest burbs, not our place. But make plans and I'll see how it works out.

Where you're staying is going to make a difference with what places are easily available without a car, though cabs in the city are obviously readily available. I'm going to assume you're going to be downtown if parking costs are that high. Haymarket is just west of the Loop, though it wouldn't be my first pick for a brewery to hit. Everything is good and the food is solid but nothing beer-wise is can't miss.

Off Color's Mousetrap is a few blocks from a Red Line stop and my extremely biased opinion is that they're the best brewery in the midwest, let alone the city. They'll likely have DinoS'Mores available at that time, given they just announced it's annual release will be on Halloween. Laffler and Dave loving hate it but it's a well-balanced gimmick stout. Rev's brewpub gets busy but is not far from a Blue Line stop and has good food. The brewery is a better space but harder to get to. Half Acre is further north (Brown Line) but also only a few blocks from Dovetail, so there's two good spots in the area. Begyle, too, but they're pretty meh. Basically, those 3 (OC, Rev, HA) are pretty spread out via public tansit but any or all of them are worth trying if you can get a car or pony up for other transit.

As for More... they're out in the western suburbs, though not an unreasonable walk from a Metra (regional transit; think Mini-Amtrak) stop. I am absolutely not their target audience since I'm not going to hype for pastry stouts and my known opinon of hazy IPAs is that they're mostly bad and I'm old and don't understand the kidz these days. But I was there once, found the IPA I had to be okay and a lactose porter to be an abomination. I think there's far better places to get your haze on and I'm betting the chances that one of their pastry stouts being on tap is small. Corridor has somewhat quietly done hazy stuff (GABF winner) and is in a cool area of the city. I'd also recommend Maplewood- who are my favorite of the new breed breweries- for their pale ales. And they're not far from Metropolitan, who are OG American craft lager brewers and opened their supposedly beautiful taproom a year or so ago that I still haven't been to because I'm lame. Basically: I don't think More is worth the effort since there's places closer that are generally considered as good if less hyped.

By "Pi" you mean Piece? Good beer, good pizza, always packed in a hipster packed area (right off Blue line).

As always, I recommend Beer Temple, whose taproom will get you solid locals and some regional stuff (Scratch, Transient) worth hitting. I know you weren't the most impressed with the early Transient things but I think their wild stuff got much better in time, even if their stouts have gone way too far to the pastry end.

Anyway, everyone keep me in touch with whatever plans happen.

Code Switch is... something? It's EXTREMELY fruity but I get why they kept pushing the dryness. It doesn't leave much residual cloyness at all given the ABV, style, and adjunct. That's kind of amazing. I'd almost compare it to a well made fruit wine. All that said, it's not something I want to drink on a regular basis.

Coffee Eugene is still loving great and I'm sad I'm down to my last 9 or whatever.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

danbanana posted:

Coffee Eugene is still loving great and I'm sad I'm down to my last 9 or whatever.

They still have (a lot) at the brewpub to go.

Rev also moved on to Crowlers from Growlers (at least at the brewpub) for whatever that's worth.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Compusaurus posted:

They still have (a lot) at the brewpub to go.

Rev also moved on to Crowlers from Growlers (at least at the brewpub) for whatever that's worth.

I also found a bunch in the north burbs this week. Lincolnwood or Skokie binnys had a ton of coffee eugene (and often have good stuff sitting on shelves).

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

danbanana posted:

By "Pi" you mean Piece? Good beer, good pizza, always packed in a hipster packed area (right off Blue line).

As always, I recommend Beer Temple, whose taproom will get you solid locals and some regional stuff (Scratch, Transient) worth hitting. I know you weren't the most impressed with the early Transient things but I think their wild stuff got much better in time, even if their stouts have gone way too far to the pastry end.

Yes oops.

I loved early Transient actually, one of the Apple Brandy dark sours from the first or second club release was one of my top beers of all time, it was just that loving Cherry Pentameter I think that smelled like a warcrime.

https://dontdrinkbeer.com/2015/08/3...nine-rusticity/

thats my bottle in the tile picture lmao

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

danbanana posted:

And they're not far from Metropolitan, who are OG American craft lager brewers and opened their supposedly beautiful taproom a year or so ago that I still haven't been to because I'm lame. Basically: I don't think More is worth the effort since there's places closer that are generally considered as good if less hyped.

i asked Laffler where he likes to drink and he said Metropolitan and Dovetail (apologies if i'm repeating myself)

drank a great adjuncty-but-not-pastry stout from Kosher man called Querido y Perdido. despite having cinnamon, cocoa nibs, vanilla, and chilies, nothing overwhelms and it's actually balanced. some sweetness, some umami, and not so thick that i got tired of drinking an entire pint. and although i did feel it eventually, the 12% abv is really not apparent at all. looking forward to the second can, but sad that i feel the need to share it with someone.

very much delayed/reduced Aslin anniversary highlights (apologies if i'm repeating myself):

the brewers bottle share the previous evening took place in a weird bar/restaurant/club place that was far too small and loud, but i was lucky to end up in a quiet corner with a friend and the two owners of Bottle Logic. supremely nice dudes who opened a bunch of rad bottles and, after i asked, shared a few eye-rolling stories about the poo poo neckbeards pull to tick their beers.

the next morning, my prediction obviously came true: pretty much the entire VIP group lined up for Fundamental Observation and it was the first thing to kick. some of those people even left early to be first in line for the second VIP session and they of course went right back for more FO, which was again the first keg to kick. poo poo, over both sessions i saw almost as many FO (the actual beer, not the brewery) shirts as i did Hill Farmstead. didn't drink that much since i was planning on driving home, but i enjoyed Kosher man's hazy IPA and and Cloudwater had a dry-hopped pils that was excellent. aside from seeing vsg for a sec (i would have brought you a bunch of cans if i'd known you were going!), the highlight was from before the festival started when my jockey box disappeared while i was looking for ice. i walked around until i found it with Jennings, one of the Pen Druid owners, who was given it by one of the Aslin guys. he immediately tried to give it back, but he had already run sour beer through the lines and someone found me quick taps, so i assured him it was no problem. he found me at the break and it turns out he's a really great dude and a few days later he even sent me a couple bottles as a thank you, so check them out if you ever get the chance. other than them only having one inexperienced and understaffed food truck (the Aslin folks were quick to admit the mistake), i think it was a well-done festival and i'd recommend it if you're in the area.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Lurker recommendation req:

I'm going to be in Seattle in a week for a conference. I googled a bunch of breweries and have a short list but is there anything/anywhere that you guys recommend I try while I'm in town if I've only got one free night? Will be driving up to Vancouver the week following as well.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Holy Mountain is probably the best brewery in Seattle, they do a lot of things well, farmhouse/saison stuff, pales and whatnot, to their much-beloved stouts/barleywines/etc that neckbeards sell to pay their rent. Fremont is just OK despite having some really great bottled big beers. Brouwers is my favorite bar there, although I haven't been back in 2.5 years. If you have the time and are a meat-eater, Salumi is the best sandwich I've ever had in my life.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Seattle: Holy Mountain, Reuben's, Fremont, Cloudburst

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Holy Mountain is probably the best brewery in Seattle, they do a lot of things well, farmhouse/saison stuff, pales and whatnot, to their much-beloved stouts/barleywines/etc that neckbeards sell to pay their rent. Fremont is just OK despite having some really great bottled big beers. Brouwers is my favorite bar there, although I haven't been back in 2.5 years. If you have the time and are a meat-eater, Salumi is the best sandwich I've ever had in my life.

Thanks. Sounds awesome, holy mountain was top on my list as I really like funky dry beers. I saw salumi on the list of places to visit and it looks crazy good... They are giving us a pretty long lunch break so I'll see if I can't swing it one of the days

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
Going to Vancouver in a few weeks, anyone have a few good brewery recommendations downtown or in the near suburbs?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Anyone Las Vegas goons hitting the https://downtownbrewfestival.com/ tonight? I'll be out there helping sling pizzas and drink beer. Should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I know one goon whos going. Not an entirely bad lineup, but i'd be interesting to see what vegas breweries taste like.