Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BaconCopter posted:

I was really unsure before about the art style of PW, but after watching your the video of your blind stream I had to buy it once I saw that it was only $12. Not very far into it, but it has been drat fun so far.

Performance seems to be abysmal for the intensity of the game, a 60 FPS cap doesn't help.

I really dislike the way end level doors suck you in if you are anywhere near. No prompt, no button to hit, just boom done with the level. Hope you were looking for secrets. Since the end level screen goes away with any key press I've gone from looking for secrets directly into the next level already...

A full sized automap would be amazing.

Still fun and the graphics look way better when you're playing it.

Glad the stream swayed you! I have a tendency to do that with games I stream that people are on the fence about. Just a tip, exit doors are almost always guarded by one of those goopy wallhugger skull door enemies, so if you destroy one of those then the exit will usually be soon after it. Sometimes they disobey that and don't have one which is a bummer, I wish it was totally consistent, but that's a good enough indicator. A "press to exit level" key would be a good addition though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

catlord posted:

I really like Wolf3D, but it's hard to directly compare it to Doom. They have different game-feels. Doom is much easier to go back to again and again, it's got more variety in possible level layouts and gameplay, but Wolf3D has an elegant simplicity to it. Or at least, I enjoyed it enough to play Wolf3D, Spear of Destiny, the add-ons, and a bunch of mods.

Wolfendoom (The Original Missions) is a pretty cool recreation of Wolf3D in Doom from what I remember. It also has a bunch of other campaigns based on the Wolf3D assets but using regular Doom level design. Also it was created by this guy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Glad the stream swayed you! I have a tendency to do that with games I stream that people are on the fence about. Just a tip, exit doors are almost always guarded by one of those goopy wallhugger skull door enemies, so if you destroy one of those then the exit will usually be soon after it. Sometimes they disobey that and don't have one which is a bummer, I wish it was totally consistent, but that's a good enough indicator. A "press to exit level" key would be a good addition though.

I want to thank you for the stream, too, although for the opposite reason. I took a look at what was on the screen and knew I didn't want what they were selling.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Volte posted:

Wolfendoom (The Original Missions) is a pretty cool recreation of Wolf3D in Doom from what I remember. It also has a bunch of other campaigns based on the Wolf3D assets but using regular Doom level design. Also it was created by this guy.

Wtf there was a wolfendoom before blade of agony??

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Does Project Warlock have controller support?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

You needn't worry about LGR pivoting away from game reviews (that are decidedly not lazy), given he still occasionally does on like today's (well, yesterday's) video on F.E.A.R..

Also, I've still not played F.E.A.R..

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
Maybe you should play F.E.A.R.

It's good

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

You needn't worry about LGR pivoting away from game reviews (that are decidedly not lazy), given he still occasionally does on like today's (well, yesterday's) video on F.E.A.R..

I think he should have taken a longer break than the two weeks he took over the summer. It'd suck if he burned out and walked away from YouTube completely.

Personal opinion is thrift videos can be kind of boring, same for unboxing stuff people send him. I'd like if he'd go back to doing Year in Review type videos. I liked LGR Wraps but he only did that for a year and half. I look forward to the Christmas game reviews every year.

I only ever played the demo for F.E.A.R when it came out and it ran like poo poo on the lower end family Pentium 4 we had at the time. I got it in a Steam sale at some point and decided to play it after watching the video. So far it's crashed after the auto graphics adjust on first load, given an all gray screen, given and black screen and locked up after adjusting the resolution in the config, and then I had to go to bed.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 20, 2018

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

site posted:

Wtf there was a wolfendoom before blade of agony??

Wtf there was a Doom before Doom 2016??

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Amebx posted:

Maybe you should play F.E.A.R.

It's good

Seconding this. FEAR owns.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Volte posted:

Yeah, I've never bothered with the remakes, but the original ones are interesting. Incredibly hard too, or is that just me?

Edit: FEAR is fantastic.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
FEAR rules. i dug the expansions as well. Perseus Mandste was hella fun

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A.o.D. posted:

I want to thank you for the stream, too, although for the opposite reason. I took a look at what was on the screen and knew I didn't want what they were selling.

That's fair too lol

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

I can't think of an FPS that does AI better than FEAR even today tbh. Maybe it's just more subtle these days but FEAR sticks out so much. The enemy is always on the move trying to push you in, flank you etc. And the way they interact with the environment is really cool. You'll get flanked by some rear end in a top hat who crawled under a tipped-over shelf while you are busy dealing with his friends, jumping over railings and hurling themselves through windows, or iirc enemies pulling furniture out to use as cover.

It makes you want to use that slowmo just to get an edge on the dirty bastards.

Amebx fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 20, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Amebx posted:

I can't think of an FPS that does AI better than FEAR even today tbh. Maybe it's just more subtle these days but FEAR sticks out so much. The enemy is always on the move trying to push you in, flank you etc. And the way they interact with the environment is really cool. You'll get flanked by some rear end in a top hat who crawled under a tipped-over shelf while you are busy dealing with his friends, jumping over railings and hurling themselves through windows, or iirc enemies pulling furniture out to use as cover.

It makes you want to use that slowmo just to get an edge on the dirty bastards.

Not too long ago, I was reading an article (perhaps one that was even posted in this very thread) where one of the FEAR developers talked about the enemy AI, and how simple it really is. Yet it compels your opponents to do things that you still don't see in most FPS games...and that's sort of the brilliance of the whole thing. When you crack open their brains and see what's motivating them, you don't find these exhaustive and byzantine processes--just simple and clever stuff.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

I remember watching a youtube video about it, as well as the AI for Halo. I think yeah it might've been in this thread.

What is impressive to me is that this comes down to a single enemy type most of the time. In something like Doom you have different enemy types with different roles. Pretty simple to fight on their own, but when you put a variety in a room the player has to figure out the best way to dismantle that.

FEAR feels like 90% the same guys over and over and it never gets old.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Did anyone ever make a proper fix for the USB bug in the middle Lithtech games, or do I still have to keep unplugging my mouse?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Not too long ago, I was reading an article (perhaps one that was even posted in this very thread) where one of the FEAR developers talked about the enemy AI, and how simple it really is. Yet it compels your opponents to do things that you still don't see in most FPS games...and that's sort of the brilliance of the whole thing. When you crack open their brains and see what's motivating them, you don't find these exhaustive and byzantine processes--just simple and clever stuff.

Was it this? https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/04/03/why-fears-ai-is-still-the-best-in-first-person-shooters/

quote:

As Orkin explained, “Having A.I. speak to each other allows us to cue the player in to the fact that the coordination is intentional. Of course the reality is that it’s all smoke and mirrors, and really all decisions about what to say are made after the fact, once the squad behaviour has decided what the AI are going to do.” Smoke and mirrors it may be, but it really makes you feel like you’re facing an intelligent force.

Just gimme FEAR with multiplayer co-op and a map generator, that'd keep me pretty happy for a while.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

doctorfrog posted:

Was it this? https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/04/03/why-fears-ai-is-still-the-best-in-first-person-shooters/

Just gimme FEAR with multiplayer co-op and a map generator, that'd keep me pretty happy for a while.

Yup, that's the one.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Casimir Radon posted:

I look forward to the Christmas game reviews every year.

Oh yes, I kind of have to watch every single Christmas review he's made every... Christmas. I get a complete nostalgia overload every time I get to Santa Slayer; it's just one of those things that's lodged into my brain, even though it's barely a game and takes literal seconds to complete. It just ties in with some of my best childhood memories, and I'm so grateful to have Clint's soothing voice to guide me through memory lane every season.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

iirc they did something similar for the grunt AI in half life 1 that was very advanced seeming for its time

then you get the grunt AI in half life 2, which just seems terrible

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite thing about the grunts in HL1 is their dialogue, pieced together word by word via text file.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfoTP0Yyidk

It's so drat interesting and such a Late 90s As Hell solution to needing a ton of reactive combat dialogue.

I'M
GOING
TO
KICK
YOUR rear end
FREE
MAN

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
For anyone playing Project Warlock, if you want to replay a level you can from the main menu (that really should be an option at the mission computer but whatever), thing is you start the level with all your gear and levels from the main game, so if you want to go back and grab secrets or grind a bit you can.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Speaking of F.E.A.R.

Lazy Game Reviews - F.E.A.R. - First Encounter Assault Retrospective https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baBl99EzRQc

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
As someone who hates spooky games, I always deeply appreciated the fact that FEAR 1 clearly signposts both types of scenes (spooky/combat) so you can know whether to put your headphones on or take them off.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

This review is extremely good and he put a little joke in one of these "flashes" with certain Hollywood actor that made me chuckle.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I can't find where it says, that he's feeling burnt out or whatever.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

THE BAR posted:

I can't find where it says, that he's feeling burnt out or whatever.

It's at the very end of his last mailbag video

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Man, I wish I liked FEAR as much as you guys. I played all 3 FEAR games twice, including expansions, and didn't like the first one gameplay or graphics wise. I'm sure it's awesome on a technical/AI basis but as someone who loves all kinds of shooters, even of questionable quality, I sincerely couldn't find FEAR (1) fun, even with all the slomo and shotguns. I think it'll just be something that's not for me. :smith:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Karasu Tengu posted:

Did anyone ever make a proper fix for the USB bug in the middle Lithtech games, or do I still have to keep unplugging my mouse?

ha, i wasnt aware of one last time i played, so let me know if you come across one

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

boof posted:

It's at the very end of his last mailbag video

Ah, thanks, I usually skip these.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

juggalo baby coffin posted:

iirc they did something similar for the grunt AI in half life 1 that was very advanced seeming for its time

then you get the grunt AI in half life 2, which just seems terrible

They didn't really get to shine in Half Life 2 base, but they made some bigger non-linear arenas for the later episodes and the Combine AI really got the spotlight. The fight in the hotel in Episode 2 plays out differently every time it's up there with the best fights in FEAR. It helps that they redid the Combine Rifle sounds and stats to make it more punchy too.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

THE BAR posted:

Ah, thanks, I usually skip these.
He also took a two week break over the summer because he was feeling exhausted. He should have taken a longer one or went down to one video a week for a while.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Karasu Tengu posted:

Blood Sally posted:

ha, i wasnt aware of one last time i played, so let me know if you come across one

There is a fix now. It worked for me. I wasn't able to play for a while due to the frame rate tanking as the game freaked out about my Logitech devices., but now it's fine!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=759431266

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Arivia posted:

man put a warning before you blind link to some gamergate shithead

Haha holy poo poo, really? I saw one of his videos about the latest Wolfenstein and he was kvetching about a "muddled political message" or something. Makes sense now.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Talked about this awhile back but I recently completed FEAR and it was amazing. First game in a long while I played to completion. But I still need to spend more time on the expansions and wait for a cheap copy of Fear 2.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Someone's working on a mod for FEAR that combines the original game and all of its expansions that I'll probably check out when that's done.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Ularg posted:

Talked about this awhile back but I recently completed FEAR and it was amazing. First game in a long while I played to completion. But I still need to spend more time on the expansions and wait for a cheap copy of Fear 2.

Gog gets FEAR 2 for like three fifty when it goes on sale, for the record. And it also comes with its DLC, unlike on Steam where they forgot to ever discount it when it was sold on its own and now can only be bought as part of a full series bundle that even at a 75% discount still costs more than it used to if you're just going for that one DLC.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I got the FEAR collection as part of a Humble Bundle and it didn’t have that DLC either. Bought it really cheap during a sale and that was the right price, because it’s over really fast. It also doesn’t do anything special, it’s just more FEAR 2.

Really weird that it no longer is a separate product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Kadorhal posted:

Gog gets FEAR 2 for like three fifty when it goes on sale, for the record. And it also comes with its DLC, unlike on Steam where they forgot to ever discount it when it was sold on its own and now can only be bought as part of a full series bundle that even at a 75% discount still costs more than it used to if you're just going for that one DLC.

I noticed that, but I did get the fear expansions for fear 1 with the base game on Steam.

As the years go by having to pay anything more than $1-5 for DLC is gonna be such a pain. I still don't have any of the mass effect DLC, it's straight up easier to have a friend send me the dlc installers than it is trying to buy the dlc from the bioware store.