Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Boogalo posted:

Way back when corners in belts slowed products down, you wanted things to be straight as possible but now, go nuts. Spaghetti away!

People built these massive webs of splitters to turn their belts. Also, belts had a mysterious and unstable "middle lane" that allowed you to fit slightly more on a belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Also keep in mind that the main bus is going to be temporary. Eventually you'll replace the manufacturing centers for each of the materials once you get access to construction bots and can easily start building at scale.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Vic posted:

Your main bus doesn't have to go straight :eng101:

If you're all about that visual, take as many turns as the map requires because landfilling water is even uglier than building over resource patches.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/nicefill
The best visual only mod.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Appreciate all the help guys- I made my decision:

Now my plan is to being the process of setting up my oil and chemical processing.
I want to go after the oil fields to the southeast and northwest.

Where along this line would it be best to set up the chemical plants?

Also should I run petroelum, light/heavy oil and lubricants down the bus?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I honestly recommend barreling and unbarreling products from oil, especially once you get drones.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Kraftwerk posted:

Appreciate all the help guys- I made my decision:

Now my plan is to being the process of setting up my oil and chemical processing.
I want to go after the oil fields to the southeast and northwest.

Where along this line would it be best to set up the chemical plants?

Also should I run petroelum, light/heavy oil and lubricants down the bus?

You only really need lube and sulfuric acid on your bus.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Nalesh posted:

I honestly recommend barreling and unbarreling products from oil, especially once you get drones.

I've seen this recommended a few times and I'm curious about it. Do you barrel your liquids as part of your main bus? How do you manage empties? And how do you manage barrel production so you have enough to keep up with fluid demand?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

promising carl posted:

I've seen this recommended a few times and I'm curious about it. Do you barrel your liquids as part of your main bus? How do you manage empties? And how do you manage barrel production so you have enough to keep up with fluid demand?

Once you realize that barrels, once generated, are a forever thing and just a means of transport, it becomes a logistical problem.

The easy way is bots with requester chests and a centralized store of empty barrels that's filled by your barrel generation facility.

The hard way is planning out an "empty" belt back (or to an aforementioned central facility) for re-filling and distribution.

Technically once you fill your belts with empties/fulls, only expansion of your bus lines would cause your barrel generation facility to start up again, so you can start slow, especially since it's resource intensive.

Bonus points for hard-ness if you use barrels in railcars for transporting your oil/sulphuric acid to/from instead of using a tanker car.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Barreling is SLOW for any large projects as each only can do 250 fluid a second without any modules, it takes nearly 1000 pipe segments (note: a max length pipe to ground stretch counts as only 2, segments count not distance) to actually create a flow slower than that, so piping everything everywhere is basically never worse.

For transport, if you have a compact blue belt, you're still only moving 2000 fluid/s, which sounds good, as once you have 3 pipe segments, it's ability to transport decreases to less than that, but pipe to ground is instant travel across those 10 tiles, which means flow rate across a stretch of underground pipes is still faster until you're going more than 2000 tiles. At which point, why the hell are you belting that and not using a train? Speaking of trains, a fully loaded cargo wagon can only hold 20k fluid worth of barrels, AND you need to either use another train/wagon or sacrifice slots for bringing in empties. Or you could use fluid wagon and move 25k at a time with no loss of space or extra hassle.

It's also kind of easy to bottleneck the entire system by not paying attention and letting barrels buffer into it and it being overrun with empty barrels congesting everything so your emptiers can't unload.

The one huge benefit to using barrels over pipes and tanks is that when you want to clean up or remove a fluid site/project it's super easy to just reverse the empty stations into fill stations and just hoover your fluid back up. Whereas dealing with tanks while avoiding losses can be...difficult.

If you don't use pipes, and use drones instead of belts for moving them around, it is better for your FPS/UPS also I guess.

Barrels need a buff badly, if they could hold double the amount, that would be pretty balanced.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 15, 2018

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I only use a 2-lane main conveyor for iron plates and I keep seeing people with like 4 lanes or more and I wonder if I'm doing something bad and dumb.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

jokes posted:

I only use a 2-lane main conveyor for iron plates and I keep seeing people with like 4 lanes or more and I wonder if I'm doing something bad and dumb.
I feel like 4 lane buses are just really expensive chests. If you have more than 2 blue belts it seems like it's time to get wider instead of longer.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

jokes posted:

It's just a matter of scale, 2 lanes is fine if your goal is just to launch a rocket. If you want to go large scale megabase and get deep into repeating research you'll need more throughput but by then you'll be able to start up a new, larger base easily so it's not a big deal.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Let's be real, if you are pulling the scale card you are using bots for UPS anyway.

There's a hundred cooler ways to handle the time between rocket 1 and rocket 1/min like plate bases feeding trains into circuit bases into module bases that don't involve the wasted WIP and capital cost of 4 belts all going the same pace but not actually splooging their throughout till the end of the line.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Do I need any fancy belt balancing moves on the coal and ore mining side of my smelting arrays?

Right now I'm just merging multiple belts from 2 rows of 6 mines and routing them through the smelting furnaces.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I've never done anything special with furnace fuel. Fuel goes a much longer way than the ore itself. A single yellow belt of coal can support 592 steel furnaces, which is 12 smelting columns when using red belts for the ore/plates.
https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/calc.html#furnace=steel-furnace&items=iron-plate:f:592

If you start using red belts and solid fuel, you can keep over 3700 steel furnaces running.
https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/calc.html#furnace=steel-furnace&fuel=solid-fuel&belt=fast-transport-belt&items=iron-plate:f:3703

By the time fuel throughput would become an issue (which is basically never), you would have long since switched over to electric smelting anyway.

A balancer on the ore input is a good idea, particularly once you start pulling it off of trains.

I typically don't do anything too fancy with the starting smelting columns either, like trying to leave room for electric smelters in the starting belt layout. This pic isn't mine, but something similar to this is pretty standard for starting out. I usually run the fuel line perpendicular to the ore though, and pull of the same way to feed multiple columns. 48 stone furnaces can max a yellow belt, and 48 steel can max a red.

By the time you are switching to blues and electric, you'll have bots to do all of the teardown and rebuild.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 20, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I still leave room in my furnace setups to switch to electric but I usually build whole new furnace setups instead of replacing. Switching to more compact no-electric setups for the early game is a thought. Steel furnaces are just as fast and since they're more fuel efficient it doesn't make sense to switch to electric until you're ready to add modules.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Looking to get into Factorio again and while looking for mods I'm running into the same issue I always do, there's a ton of them and its overwhelming. Way back I played Arumba's bobs mods and angel ores pack because it was a quick and easy install, are there any good maintained mod packs or lists of mods that work well together for an advanced experience?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Demiurge4 posted:

Looking to get into Factorio again and while looking for mods I'm running into the same issue I always do, there's a ton of them and its overwhelming. Way back I played Arumba's bobs mods and angel ores pack because it was a quick and easy install, are there any good maintained mod packs or lists of mods that work well together for an advanced experience?

Try anonymods plus whatever QoL stuff you fancy. Saves having to work out what's compatible with what.

Otherwise there's the Bobs+Angels everyone uses at some point. Or you could try the Pyanodon set.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Demiurge4 posted:

seablock was the big popular one several months ago when I had spare time

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Trainwreck/SeaBlock

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Bhodi posted:

seablock was the big popular one several months ago when I had spare time

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Trainwreck/SeaBlock

Don't play seablock unless you like pain and suffering.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Alternatively, play Seablock by cheating yourself the machines and landfill to make a small factory, similar to how people tired of Minecraft Skyblock starts cheat themselves to cobblegen.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Seablock is best as an idler you leave running during the day and play for an hour or so at a time, just long enough to get the next production line up.

You don't need to cheat, you're given everything you need to get landfill generation running. Actually you're given more than you need to get landfill generation running. Don't try setting everything up right away, you can't afford to generate enough electricity for everything at first.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Alright, I'm trying to do circuits and I am absolutely not getting it.

I understand linking up boxes, inserters, etc.: I can tell an inserter to enable/disable based on a condition of a chest's contents.

I've used an arithmetic combinator to track what an inserter has handled (connecting input to output, using "pulse" and read hand contents), and then disable those inserters when the count reaches a certain condition. I've done a similar thing linking a section of belt.

I think I understand channels. Each circuit network has a channel for every commodity, and you can manipulate the value of that channel. I'm struggling with the best ways to do that, though.

I am absolutely stumped on how I reset a counter on a network (I've been switching the arithmetic combinator from +0 to *0 to manually reset), and just the philosophy behind deciders and combinators in general. I'm decently proficient at programming languages but this is just not working for me at all. I've tried reading the tutorials and watching videos, but most that I've found are years out of date or have horrible instructions. I built a set/reset latch once, but have no idea what I was doing or how it worked, and now can't even recreate it.

If it helps, I'm using a loop for Kovarex enrichment as a means of practicing this - 40 units of U235 and 5 of U238 are inserted into a centrifuge, which then processes it and releases 41 and 2 of them, respectively. I want to have a counter count out 40 and then remove any excess U235 and resupply U238 when it goes below a certain threshold.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The common way of making a counter is to wire an arithmatic combiner's outback back to its input, so that you hold your value from tick to tick. If I want to count to 40, I could always wire it to an artihmatic combiner set to modulo 40.

The above will count the uranium moved by the inserter modulo 40. It starts at 0. Once 40 have been moved, it loops back to 0.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Channels count stuff. (The official name is "signal".) Like you said, there's a signal for each commodity, plus several virtual signals: A - Z, for example.
You manipulate them by outputting from a decider into that channel. Constant combinators can output a constant value onto a bunch of different channels.
A set/reset latch would be the best way to reset a counter, I think. The latch stores the count, then can be reset when you want to.

Circuit networks aren't really programming. They're logic, you're using gates (combinators) to control signals. You might find this tutorial useful: http://nandgame.com/
It's inspired by the "NAND to Tetrist" courses, and gives a pretty good introduction to logic circuits. In particular, the latch and a data flip-flop exercises will be the most helpful -- a lot of the earlier stuff is provided in-game by the combinators.

Edit: Filthy Monkey's answer is really good! So just do that. Unless you really want to learn circuits, which you don't need to.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I knew it quickly because I use something similar on my nuclear power plants to sync the reactors. On my eight reactor plant, for instance, I count the empty fuel cells removed modulo 8 via that method. One of the conditions for fuel insertion is that the count is equal to 0. If it is anything else, I know that all eight cells haven't come out yet.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 26, 2018

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Solumin posted:

Channels count stuff. (The official name is "signal".) Like you said, there's a signal for each commodity, plus several virtual signals: A - Z, for example.
You manipulate them by outputting from a decider into that channel. Constant combinators can output a constant value onto a bunch of different channels.
A set/reset latch would be the best way to reset a counter, I think. The latch stores the count, then can be reset when you want to.

Circuit networks aren't really programming. They're logic, you're using gates (combinators) to control signals. You might find this tutorial useful: http://nandgame.com/
It's inspired by the "NAND to Tetrist" courses, and gives a pretty good introduction to logic circuits. In particular, the latch and a data flip-flop exercises will be the most helpful -- a lot of the earlier stuff is provided in-game by the combinators.

Edit: Filthy Monkey's answer is really good! So just do that. Unless you really want to learn circuits, which you don't need to.

This is wonderful. I don't know if it will help me solve my issue, but it's been a good way to learn logic gates!

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
The final version of the game is going to cleanup some basically unused mechanics.

On the chopping block includes:

- Pickaxes (iron mining speed is the base speed, researching steel upgrades to steel pickaxe speed for mining/removing buildings)
- "Efficiency" in boilers (same effective energy output as before)
- Mining hardness and those other weird stats I never understood. All ores mine at the same speed now, and ores created/second is included in the mining drill tooltip.
- Maximum ingredients in assembly machines

And resistances are being streamlined and only included on relevant entities.

Most of these things will still exist in the code for modding and such, but vanilla will be a bit more streamlined now.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Manyorcas posted:

- Maximum ingredients in assembly machines

Oh man, does that mean no surprise mandatory crafts halfway through a Lazy Bastard run?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jabor posted:

Oh man, does that mean no surprise mandatory crafts halfway through a Lazy Bastard run?

Yep, the devs even specifically call out that their one regret over the change is that it'll make Lazy Bastard way easier.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Sydin posted:

Yep, the devs even specifically call out that their one regret over the change is that it'll make Lazy Bastard way easier.

Let's be real though, the hard part was figuring out what the build path was and most people probably just looked up a reddit guide...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I rather like these changes. I kind of liked the assembler item limit, but I can't honestly think of a good reason to keep it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Solumin posted:

I rather like these changes. I kind of liked the assembler item limit, but I can't honestly think of a good reason to keep it.

At least the first assembler should be replaced, but after that blue assemblers are your bread and butter for the bulk of the game and the better assemblers are kind of expensive so.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
To that point I think the reason is that big dumbos like me would use gray assemblers for way too long if there wasn't the nudge to start using blues for items with more inputs.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've gotten better about using Assembler 2s, mostly because I automate them instead of building 1s.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I'm big on all of these changes.

And the big thing that makes lazy bastard easier is not removing the requirement to craft an assembling machine 2 or refinery, it's the removal of the pickaxe.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Solumin posted:

I've gotten better about using Assembler 2s, mostly because I automate them instead of building 1s.

As soon as I get automation for Assembler 1's up I set up Assembler 2's because they're literally the first assembler with more of the same materials and I might as well.

I feel that the speed someone moves to level 2 is entirely dependent on how hard someone goes in on early automation vs hand crafting.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I wonder if they should make item limit in assemblers a research item like with the faster pickaxe. If they have science packs that use ingredients that go into assembler2's and then assembler3's. That would ensure you are building the stuff required to build the assemblers around the time you need/unlock their capabilities.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm 114 hours into my co-op game and I've started to hit an issue where I'm experiencing game slow down or lag.

After about 15 minutes of playing my game will start running poorly. Essentially things will start stuttering. There doesn't seem to be anything gradual about this transition-- one second the game will be running completely fine, then next all the animations in the game will have a stutter to them. Once this occurs, it then gets worse and worse (the frequency of the stutter increases) over the next 15 minutes or so until the game is unplayable. If I just quit to the menu, and remake the game, it will still be performing poorly, but if I quit out of Factorio completely it will start running normally for another 15 minutes or so.

The strange thing is my girlfriend has not had a single issue, but she is on a much worse computer than I am. I'm on a fairly powerful desktop with an I7 processor & Titan graphics card, and she is on a 4 year old laptop not meant for gaming. I am the one hosting the game, so perhaps that is factored in?

Is there anyway I can identify the cause of and fix this issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Megasabin posted:

I'm 114 hours into my co-op game and I've started to hit an issue where I'm experiencing game slow down or lag.

After about 15 minutes of playing my game will start running poorly. Essentially things will start stuttering. There doesn't seem to be anything gradual about this transition-- one second the game will be running completely fine, then next all the animations in the game will have a stutter to them. Once this occurs, it then gets worse and worse (the frequency of the stutter increases) over the next 15 minutes or so until the game is unplayable. If I just quit to the menu, and remake the game, it will still be performing poorly, but if I quit out of Factorio completely it will start running normally for another 15 minutes or so.

The strange thing is my girlfriend has not had a single issue, but she is on a much worse computer than I am. I'm on a fairly powerful desktop with an I7 processor & Titan graphics card, and she is on a 4 year old laptop not meant for gaming. I am the one hosting the game, so perhaps that is factored in?

Is there anyway I can identify the cause of and fix this issue?
Go into graphics options and start tweaking stuff in advanced, drop lights render resolution to .25, make sure all the compress and optimize stuff is set, turning off smoke and tree sprite mipmaps was the big one for me. Factorio doesn't really configure itself properly based on what you've got and can sometimes set the defaults too aggressive.