Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Cacafuego posted:

I missed the part about it being his first car, so that would explain it. When I see a high deductible, I assume it’s because someone has had so many accidents, the only way they can afford insurance is that they select the highest deductible possible.

My wife and I have a $250 deductible on each of our cars with full coverage. We have newer cars. It softens the blow when a tree branch fell off and hit my (less than 6 month old) car causing $3000 worth of damage, and again when someone side swiped my wife’s car last year. We pay a little more in insurance, but it’s worth it. Can we afford to pay for $2-4k in deductibles every year? We can, but why do that, when full coverage for both of us with the lowest deductibles costs us ~$2500/year. Especially because we live in Florida, which is full of tourists, elderly snowbirds and lots of people who don’t have car insurance.

Now that most insurers do diminished value, the pain of high deductibles is less. The diminished value check covered the $1000 deductible when a tree attacked me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Known Lecher posted:

#BatWithMoney: The car price was 45k and I talked him down to $625 a month.

Art

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9phsc3/135k_in_cc_debt_new_job_at_75k_200_point_credit/

quote:

The story is, I had around $5K in CC debt in January, when I quit my job because I hated it. I'm decently qualified for my industry and working on a few master's degrees. I figured I could get a job fairly quickly, and could live off of the money I had saved. I didn't adjust my lifestyle, thinking that my unemployment was going to be short. Eventually, I gave up looking in favor of Uber and holding out for a more specific job. From May-ish to September, I began struggling to pay my bills, and consistently missed payments on everything but my student loans, which I put into deferment. I finally started a job in the first week of September in the industry I want to work in, and my take home each month is $4,837. By the beginning of this month, I had racked my CC's up to $13.5K and my credit score took a beating down to 560, from 750.

That's why you don't quit your old job until you find a new one.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

"a few" master's degrees?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Overdrift posted:

How the hell do you get damaged on the driver's side when turning left against an oncoming driver? Did he hit the other driver? :psyduck:

Guess is that he turned into the car as it was already past him, or tried to swerve back at the last second, but still hit the other car. Either way, guy is a colossal moron. I appreciated only being able to drive an 85 Chevy Celebrity for my first two years of driving (this was in 97-99). Car had zero power, and was worth approximately $500. It only shook a little at highway speeds.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

Guess is that he turned into the car as it was already past him, or tried to swerve back at the last second, but still hit the other car. Either way, guy is a colossal moron. I appreciated only being able to drive an 85 Chevy Celebrity for my first two years of driving (this was in 97-99). Car had zero power, and was worth approximately $500. It only shook a little at highway speeds.

Same, 92 Dodge Shadow that struggled to get up hills despite being made of aluminum foil.

If I ever buy a car for my kids to drive it's going to be an underpowered shitbox like that

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

I missed the part about it being his first car, so that would explain it. When I see a high deductible, I assume it’s because someone has had so many accidents, the only way they can afford insurance is that they select the highest deductible possible.

My wife and I have a $250 deductible on each of our cars with full coverage. We have newer cars. It softens the blow when a tree branch fell off and hit my (less than 6 month old) car causing $3000 worth of damage, and again when someone side swiped my wife’s car last year. We pay a little more in insurance, but it’s worth it. Can we afford to pay for $2-4k in deductibles every year? We can, but why do that, when full coverage for both of us with the lowest deductibles costs us ~$2500/year. Especially because we live in Florida, which is full of tourists, elderly snowbirds and lots of people who don’t have car insurance.

There is certainly an element of personal utility with these kinds of decisions, but if you can afford the deductibles comfortably, it without any question makes good actuarial sense for you to take the highest deductible offered to you on an insurance policy. Surely you will go many years throughout your life without making any auto insurance claims to offset rare events like a tree branch falling on your car. Auto insurers would not write the policies the way they do if it wasn't profitable.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

Same, 92 Dodge Shadow that struggled to get up hills despite being made of aluminum foil.

If I ever buy a car for my kids to drive it's going to be an underpowered shitbox like that

With a manual transmission to deter from distracted driving

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Wafer posted:

Now that most insurers do diminished value, the pain of high deductibles is less. The diminished value check covered the $1000 deductible when a tree attacked me.

Wait what? I did not know this was a thing, I thought it was fairly cement that insurers will not do diminished value for your own property. This must depend on your state which makes for an opaque disappointing patchwork of laws/regulations. They almost certainly would not give you diminished value in Illinois.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

There is certainly an element of personal utility with these kinds of decisions, but if you can afford the deductibles comfortably, it without any question makes good actuarial sense for you to take the highest deductible offered to you on an insurance policy. Surely you will go many years throughout your life without making any auto insurance claims to offset rare events like a tree branch falling on your car. Auto insurers would not write the policies the way they do if it wasn't profitable.

This is especially true if you live somewhere with expensive car insurance. "Good with insurance" probably varies a lot depending on where you live and what you drive.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Something Offal posted:

Wait what? I did not know this was a thing, I thought it was fairly cement that insurers will not do diminished value for your own property. This must depend on your state which makes for an opaque disappointing patchwork of laws/regulations. They almost certainly would not give you diminished value in Illinois.

It is not implemented equally everywhere. Where I live you get it even if you were at fault. Definitely something to look into.

I got $1400 the first time, $1000 the second, and when my kid got hit by a really old women (she got out of the car in her dressing gown with a walker and a life-alert while on her way to the bodyshop for a different accident) she got $20 because my kid's car was so old that's all the value it lost.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2018/10/18/starkist-fixing-tuna-prices-collusion-fine/1688008002/

BWM: Getting caught price fixing
GWM: Being the first to narc and granted immunity after your buyout plan fails

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2018/10/18/starkist-fixing-tuna-prices-collusion-fine/1688008002/

BWM: Getting caught price fixing
GWM: Being the first to narc and granted immunity after your buyout plan fails

like most corporate crimes still just GWM

quote:

Bumble Bee Foods last year pleaded guilty to the same charge and paid a $25 million fine, $111 million lower than prosecutors said it should have been. Prosecutors said they feared putting the financially struggling Bumble Bee out of business with a high fine and agreed to let the company make interest-free payments for five years.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

MisterOblivious posted:

Driving history? What driving history?

He stalled the car several times trying to get it off the lot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Miata/comments/9mjm72/dealer_guy_contacted_me_about_the_new_miata_i

You failed to mention that he bought the Miata with money had made from trading bitcoin. Hopefully there's a follow-up about his huge and completely unexpected IRS problems.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Enos Cabell posted:

Ok I withdraw my previous support, that dude is a dumbass.

It gets better. He trades bitcoin...

quote:

I do have an autism-spectrum diagnosis and have every right to make fun of it, especially when relevant (they at the dealership were impressed by how I traded bitcoin for a living, and I doubt that a neurotypical person could withstand staring at a candlestick chart for 8+ hours a day and waking up to price alerts, with the requisite absolute lack of a social life or outdoor activity that entails).

...and when the sales person asked him how he was enjoying the car he replied pretending he wrecked the car and was paralyzed in the hospital while mocking his own autist state.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

very stable genius posted:

You failed to mention that he bought the Miata with money had made from trading bitcoin. Hopefully there's a follow-up about his huge and completely unexpected IRS problems.

AND THE CROWD GOES WILD

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CornHolio posted:

A brief story here: My younger brother and his wife announced their pregnancy in August but found out this week that it somehow has a full set of extra chromosomes and has pretty much every defect in the book - heart defects, brain defects, all sorts of deformities, etc... She's just about at twenty weeks and it's a miracle she hasn't miscarried, and if it gets to term its life is expected to be measured in hours. It's such a rare case that there's very little documentation on it.

Anyway, in Ohio I guess 20 weeks is the limit for terminating a pregnancy, and hospitals aren't allowed to do it anyway. They think that due to the circumstances it'll be allowed but they have to go to a clinic to have it done, or across the border in Indiana (they live near Cincinnati) and they don't know what insurance is going to cover at all. My understanding is that there is a long-term health hazard to his wife (cancer) but at the moment it isn't immediate.

I think it's loving ridiculous that a legal medical procedure like that should have so many loopholes and it's adding so much additional stress to a grief-stricken couple that it makes me sick.

My condolences.

The silver lining is that the increased risk of cancer isn't real and is just an anti choice propaganda point (there was one bad study in `93 that showed a slight chance, it was refuted, surprise surprise no one mentions that part). So, there's no long term health care risk (nor has a casual link between abortion and depression been found, to had that one off too).

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
best to basically not trust any info about abortion unless you basically hear it direct from planned parenthood

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

Working in sales has to be up there on the BWM list, either that or it's got a self-selection problem where it attracts hilarious people who go into staggering debt to "appear successful"

It really just depends, there are legit sales jobs that pay well, and then there are sketch ones. You can make a lot of money with commission and quotas as well, but man does it suck when the company changes how they pay commission (a little bit of that is happening to me currently and it is not fun).

Sketch sales jobs though can be just really really bad. I interviewed about 10 years ago for some company that had you go door to door sales. The interview was a day following someone in the field, so even though I realized pretty quickly “oh poo poo these guys are all brainwashed and this pays poo poo” I had to pretend to be interested the whole day and follow them because they drove 50 minutes out of the city to do loving door to door sales.

The pay for that job: minimum wage IF you didn’t hit your commission goal. If you hit commission, you got that but not minimum wage. Beyond terrible. They expected you to work every day but Sunday 8am to 8pm, and it was one of those “work your way up so you can then own your own business” scam sales jobs.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

It really just depends, there are legit sales jobs that pay well, and then there are sketch ones. You can make a lot of money with commission and quotas as well, but man does it suck when the company changes how they pay commission (a little bit of that is happening to me currently and it is not fun).

Sketch sales jobs though can be just really really bad. I interviewed about 10 years ago for some company that had you go door to door sales. The interview was a day following someone in the field, so even though I realized pretty quickly “oh poo poo these guys are all brainwashed and this pays poo poo” I had to pretend to be interested the whole day and follow them because they drove 50 minutes out of the city to do loving door to door sales.

The pay for that job: minimum wage IF you didn’t hit your commission goal. If you hit commission, you got that but not minimum wage. Beyond terrible. They expected you to work every day but Sunday 8am to 8pm, and it was one of those “work your way up so you can then own your own business” scam sales jobs.

idk I've worked at 2 banks, a card processor, and the huge internet payment processor, and sales people at all of them have been like gyllenhaal's dude in nightcrawler but in smellovision. Just weird, off-putting, everything is "an investment" types who talk a big drinking habit but still find a way to tap out after a handful of Coors lights.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

In commercial real estate our guys are generally not too showy. We lead our market but these guys drive their Lexuses and Mercedes past 100k miles and buy hosues that are less than they make in good years.

At the same time, market is good, so we’ll find out who spent it all on hookers and nose candy soon enough.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

crazypeltast52 posted:

In commercial real estate our guys are generally not too showy. We lead our market but these guys drive their Lexuses and Mercedes past 100k miles and buy hosues that are less than they make in good years.

At the same time, market is good, so we’ll find out who spent it all on hookers and nose candy soon enough.

What aspect of CRE? Brokerage is flashy as hell, in my experience!

Appraisal not so much.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
four quadrants of sales: scum and short term, non-scum short term, scum long term, non-scum long term. long or short term as defined as "when they get commission"

scum short term: your stereotypical salesman. door-to-door encyclopedias, mattresses
non-scum short term: your average honestish street vendor
scum long term: your average oracle salesman
non-scum long term: professors getting at grants and poo poo

all 4 have vastly different outlooks on life

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What aspect of CRE? Brokerage is flashy as hell, in my experience!

Appraisal not so much.

I’m an appraiser so we don’t go flashier than Volvos, but the BSD brokers are pretty chill on the flashy car side. We’re one of the giant firms and in a top 20 metro, but our market is very much a not-showy market.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
How does anyone succeed in commercial real estate without a 2018 BMW M2? Asking for a friend

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Considering cars are how you GET to your job and not how you do it.... probably easily??

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

How does anyone succeed in commercial real estate without a 2018 BMW M2? Asking for a friend

When all the taxpayer addresses in town are your family office/lawyer’s office.

crazypeltast52 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 20, 2018

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Thanks for cropping out my license plate

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FAUXTON posted:

Working in sales has to be up there on the BWM list, either that or it's got a self-selection problem where it attracts hilarious people who go into staggering debt to "appear successful"

Every idiot hell fucker in sales will quote you his best quarterly bonus ever times four, ever, in the history of his life, adjusted for inflation, as his annual salary

This combination of boosterism and idiocy inevitably attracts some interesting people to the field of sales

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

crazypeltast52 posted:

When all the taxpayer addresses in town are your family office/lawyer’s office.

Oh I know how that turns out

it ends with wash trading charges and a fat fuckin lawsuit because you got caught bribing RIAs at institutions to generate fake trading volume between a few dozen LLCs (a structure you are lying about being a family office btw) so that you could get bumped to the front of the line for IPOs and dump them during the initial bubble rush

(see Detroit Street et al v Lustig et al, you may need pacer or something)

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I need to look that up tomorrow. All the search links are the filings which I can’t read this late.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

crazypeltast52 posted:

I need to look that up tomorrow. All the search links are the filings which I can’t read this late.

it's a doozy and the only reason they pulled it off for as long as they did was that their retail bank had a goddamn idiot for a branch manager, who kept loving lying to the AML people because she didn't want to lose this massive (ly fake and fraudulent) business.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

FAUXTON posted:

it's a doozy and the only reason they pulled it off for as long as they did was that their retail bank had a goddamn idiot for a branch manager, who kept loving lying to the AML people because she didn't want to lose this massive (ly fake and fraudulent) business.

Hey now not meeting your sales goals is BWM.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
GWM Boss

My boss took out a loan in my name and said told me it was a signing bonus.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9pq4zf/my_boss_took_out_a_loan_in_my_name_and_said_told/

quote:

So title, but he used my social to pull a line of credit for $3,000.00 and then gave me a check for the amount claiming it was my signing bonus. I only noticed because I got a hit on my credit report. Does this constitute fraud? It wasn't stipulated in my contract that my signing bonus would be a loan.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

I recently got to drive a 2018 M2, which was the nicest / most expensive car I've driven by a very long shot. I would say do whatever you can to buy one, it was loving amazing.

Miata idiot just needs to get his car fixed, $14000 in damage to a new car sounds like a lot, but to do a repair like that right just takes lots of time/money. If he takes the cash for the repair and tries to sell it wrecked he's an idiot, so he'll probably do that.

n8r fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 20, 2018

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I wrecked my car without insurance, what should I do next?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9pv9pv/i_wrecked_my_car_without_insurance_what_should_i/

quote:

Yesterday, while my mother and I were driving from Alabama to Florida to get lottery tickets, I was in a wreck. I was on I-10 when all of the cars abruptly stopped. I slammed on brakes but they locked up and the ground was wet so I felt us sliding. I didn't want to hit the person in front of me so I swerved to the left and scraped along the guard rail. I never hit anyone. My driver side door handle was taken off and has some scratches. The driver side back door was almost taken completely off. Part of my door is still on the guard rail. When the sheriff came, he said he put in the report that I had insurance but the city could call them if they want to come after me for hitting the rail. I haven't had insurance since August and I called them and they said even if I renewed it that it wouldn't cover that accident.

I still owe $9200 on the car. I am currently unemployed and have had a family member helping with car payments. I do not have the money to get the car fixed. I've thought about voluntary repo and just taking the hit to my credit but I know they won't get much money for the car and so I would still owe them money. I am honestly not sure what to do at this point. Do I try and get it fixed even if the damage is a couple thousand? Do I get it repoed? Also, will I get in trouble with the finance company if they find out I had no insurance? I am just a mess right now so any advice would be appreciated!

This is just sad in so many ways.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
He's hosed.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

n8r posted:

I recently got to drive a 2018 M2, which was the nicest / most expensive car I've driven by a very long shot. I would say do whatever you can to buy one, it was loving amazing.

Hell, you sold me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hell, you sold me!

I’ll take 2!