Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KozmoNaut posted:

The world has moved on, Winamp isn't really relevant anymore.
Honestly true. As you said, streaming rules and we hardly give a toss about how the interface works as long as it has pause, play, next and volume control.

I'd still like it as an option for local playback. Call it dumb old syndrome but I'm comfortable with the way WinAmp looks and feels.

barbecue at the folks posted:

I always wondered as a kid how awful Mac users must have it, they had to use QuickTime Player for everything. The horror.
Eh. You had Windows Media Player (maybe) as its equivalent. QT Player was more stripped down. When they went to the version that included Apple Brushed Aluminum Millennium Silver colors and aesthetics it really did look nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

iTunes was at its best when it was SoundJam MP. Everything apple did to it since they bought it seemingly took it down hill. It’s old and terribly bloated now, and the interface is the absolute worst.

The database-driven metadata navigation stuff is shuffled away into a basically hidden feature now. It’s just depressing.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Am I the only dirty old grognard that stores :filez: for music locally? They can't take access away whenever they feel like it that way.

I even organize my :filez: by directory. One of the reason's why I paid for Poweramp on Android way back when was the ability to browse by folders.

I have interesting tastes, I suppose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a6EOyaMdqY

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Vanagoon posted:

Am I the only dirty old grognard that stores :filez: for music locally? They can't take access away whenever they feel like it that way.

I even organize my :filez: by directory. One of the reason's why I paid for Poweramp on Android way back when was the ability to browse by folders.

Nah, I keep my music on my NAS, all 200gb of it. About half of it is rips from my own CD’s, the rest is :filez: . I load selected playlists on my phone and old iPods updated with huge flash cards and listen to music that way.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a big directory of MP3’s but most of them are late 90’s bitrates, Untagged, and otherwise garbage.

I just use Apple Music. I yell at Siri about what I want to listen to and she for the most part brings it up correctly.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Vanagoon posted:

That’s the other reason I loved iTunes, well really the idea of iTunes. At the time it made sense to have your own music files stored locally, where Carnivore couldn’t take it away from you or whatever we were afraid of snooping for you talking about “impy trees” on IRC

DRM that could not render your music unplayable if you went offline? Instead of monthly streaming services where all that money is just thrown away with no music left behind if you cancel? Breaking the album model and allowing a la carte purchases? That’s downright consumer friendly!

... only now the Spotify model has taken over anyway, music has turned into a ubiquitous cloud service, and if someone wants to hear a specific song they just pull it up on YouTube. I find myself wondering why I ever thought this was so important

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

YouTube really is the only actually good streaming service. The artists get their cut, every song is there, and if it gets taken down, someone will reupload it

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Forget winamp, xmms for life!

Wikipedia posted:

Last release 1.2.11 (November 16, 2007; 10 years ago)

:corsair:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Vanagoon posted:

Yeah I do this too. Just got a bunch of CD's from family, gonna rip the whole pile. (Australian version of "supercalifragisliticexpealidotious???")

Only thing I miss from iTunes is how intricate the playlists could be. I would set up dynamic playlists, play them all day on an iPod, sync them, and it'd replace the 'played' tracks with fresh ones. Then that stopped working with some version of iTunes, and I got sick of every newer version, the podcasts app on iPhone was trash, and what was the point of dealing with their poo poo apps anymore.

The Big Word posted:

Itunes was at its best like five years ago when they had the album view that would generate a bitchin colour palette for the tracklist based on the cover art. gently caress em for getting rid of that + the giant album cover home screen on ios.
They went from this, which was nice enough but obviously added some CPU/memory bloat to an already bloated product, to a WHITE BACKGROUND for album art views. On a music player.

I realize this is terribly 1998 of me, but music players should not ever use the color white. (As I type this I notice that my player Clementine, being a Linux port to windows, has some white UI elements, but decide I don't care.)

doctorfrog has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Oct 20, 2018

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Unless I can find every album/song I'd ever want to hear on one streaming service and be confident it will be available forever I'm never going to abandon my library of mp3s.

So basically they'll just bounce from hard drive to hard drive, like they have for the past 12 or so years, until I die.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Spotify and Youtube are fine if you're American and only ever want to listen to American pop music, with some exceptions like Abba, Beatles, and Rammstein.

Solvalou
Aug 31, 2001
I'll stop using MP3 files when you pry them from my cold, dead hands.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I have a 10 gig or so mp3 collection that I've just been transferring from phone to phone whenever I upgrade. I haven't listened to any of it in years.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Spotify and Youtube are fine if you're American and only ever want to listen to American pop music, with some exceptions like Abba, Beatles, and Rammstein.

I don’t listen to American pop music and Spotify has a ton of stuff :confused:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'll admit up front that I have a massive sunk cost bias in owning a ton of CDs and mp3s that are all organized just so. Also my music player is like a pocket survival library of my archive of sounds in miniature. I used Spotify for a bit, but I despise commercials and won't pay to make them go away.

doctorfrog has a new favorite as of 20:11 on Oct 20, 2018

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Fallom posted:

I don’t listen to American pop music and Spotify has a ton of stuff :confused:

Same. Spotify seems fairly indie friendly, there is a bunch of classic blues, plenty of chill electronica. I've always been able to find something worth listening to.

Haven't had an mp3 collection since Spotify launched in the US.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
When I did use Spotify, I just ended up listening to music I still own on CD or vinyl and ripped myself, so it just turned into paying for music I already had. iTunes was for syncing my iPod and podcasts with crummy RSS feeds. If I must stream music, I tend to just go to YouTube or download it from Soundcloud.

I've just been a faithful Winamp user since 1999 and I will probably remain that way even if Winamp 6 stinks. Winamp 3 was awful to me and I did stick with 2.9x for a while, but Winamp 5 is just perfect.

Anyone that prefers Foobar is a loving cop though.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I use Google Play Music. It means I can have all of my sunk-cost and obscure TV show/anime/bidya game soundtracks, mixed with streaming and stuff. Whenever I buy an album (like when Moulettes came out with Behemooth two years ago) it adds 320kbps files to my library. Then, whenever I set up a new computer or device I can download my entire library, including my purchased stuff and my old :filez: MP3s, to it through :siren:the cloud:siren:. Google even arranged things mostly correctly in a folder structure using file metadata. On the first download I had to kind of fix a few things that I had tagged strangely back in the day (mixing up Artist and Contributing artist, or putting "GAME OST" as genre, making playlists into custom albums instead of actual playlists, etc), but it's been peachy ever since.

Does anybody else remember a late-night commercial from like 2005-2007 where someone was on their phone trying to find a music file at a house party, and out of nowhere a black guy in a white leather suit and a motorcycle helmet with a lightning bolt zapped into the frame with a puff of smoke and organized his library? It was super low budget and awkward, and I never could figure out if it was a real product or service. Maybe on Adult Swim? Or maybe a fever dream.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Fool posted:

Same. Spotify seems fairly indie friendly, there is a bunch of classic blues, plenty of chill electronica. I've always been able to find something worth listening to.

Haven't had an mp3 collection since Spotify launched in the US.

I listen to a lot of folk and I like all the different playlists. My only problem with it is that listening to quiet study music for 2+ hours at a time ruins the recommendation system.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I have my frankly stupidly large mp3 collection backed up with CrashPlan.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Queen Combat posted:

I use Google Play Music. It means I can have all of my sunk-cost and obscure TV show/anime/bidya game soundtracks, mixed with streaming and stuff. Whenever I buy an album (like when Moulettes came out with Behemooth two years ago) it adds 320kbps files to my library. Then, whenever I set up a new computer or device I can download my entire library, including my purchased stuff and my old :filez: MP3s, to it through :siren:the cloud:siren:. Google even arranged things mostly correctly in a folder structure using file metadata. On the first download I had to kind of fix a few things that I had tagged strangely back in the day (mixing up Artist and Contributing artist, or putting "GAME OST" as genre, making playlists into custom albums instead of actual playlists, etc), but it's been peachy ever since.

Does anybody else remember a late-night commercial from like 2005-2007 where someone was on their phone trying to find a music file at a house party, and out of nowhere a black guy in a white leather suit and a motorcycle helmet with a lightning bolt zapped into the frame with a puff of smoke and organized his library? It was super low budget and awkward, and I never could figure out if it was a real product or service. Maybe on Adult Swim? Or maybe a fever dream.

Sounds like a Cinco product if I’ve ever hear one

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Spotify has a ton of obscure metal artists, where every tracks sits at "<1000 plays", even though it's been there for 5+ years.

I love digging for stuff like that.

Fallom posted:

I listen to a lot of folk and I like all the different playlists. My only problem with it is that listening to quiet study music for 2+ hours at a time ruins the recommendation system.

Switch it to a private session (or whatever it's called now), and it won't affect your recommendations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

KozmoNaut posted:

Spotify has a ton of obscure metal artists, where every tracks sits at "<1000 plays", even though it's been there for 5+ years.

I love digging for stuff like that.
I have to admit this is starting to sell me on Spotify. I wonder if that ad-blocker thing still works on it.

Speaking of tech relics, I once used an application produced by Adbusters to block ads on PointCast's desktop client, in the age of ~push technology~.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The recommendation system on Spotify seems genuinely good to me and I've found lots of thrash metal bands that I would have never heard of otherwise.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Star Man posted:

Anyone that prefers Foobar is a loving cop though.
fighting words m8

Winamp has a really hard time dealing with collections bigger than 5k songs, but to be honest, iTunes chokes on that as well. I always thought iTunes on Windows blew chunks as a kind of perverse incentive to switch to Mac where it at least would work right, but apparently it’s bad on OS X as well :v:

Foobar takes a while to index but after that it breezes through 100k of mp3 files no problem, and even has a decent hook for converters so you can go from WAV to FLAC or mp3 just with a new playlist and three clicks or so. It looks kind of spartan but at least it scales better on HD screens.

The only thing I really miss is a plugin for Winamp called Pacemaker - it could do real-time pitchshifting and timestretching with a control directly visible in the user interface. You will discover new musical horizons with that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Queen Combat posted:

Yes, that was definitely a thing. I can’t remember the name of the software though. Very much a product of its time.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Data Graham posted:

I was an iTunes zealot from the day it was announced, the idea of navigating your music by its native metadata through database queries rather than long inscrutable filenames in folders was a nerdy revelation for me.

Every release past about 2.0 made it objectively worse though and now I have simply stopped listening to music rather than admit I was so wrong

In the beginning iTunes really hosed you if you had any mp3s on your system beyond it's own libraries.

When it asked if I wanted to import these mp3s into it's library, I said no thanks.

Then it nuked everything I told it not to import.

I was pretty harsh on it from the beginning.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Vanagoon posted:

:yossame:

quote:

I even organize my :filez: by directory.
e.g. <artist>\<album>\<track number>-<track name>.mp3, as the CD ripping software does by default? :v: That's how all of my files are stored.

I never got into the actual music library/database thing where the player knows all of the music I have, I still just drag files or folders from the OS to the music player like a neanderthal, and occasionally use playlists.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Laserjet 4P posted:

Winamp has a really hard time dealing with collections bigger than 5k songs, but to be honest, iTunes chokes on that as well.
I’m not gonna stand here and claim that dealing with iTunes is the favorite part of my day, but it’s managing a collection well over ten times that size for me with no real issues.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Once iTunes had enough runway, it tended to handle my library well enough, but boy howdy was it a long runway.

Buttcoin purse posted:

I never got into the actual music library/database thing where the player knows all of the music I have, I still just drag files or folders from the OS to the music player like a neanderthal, and occasionally use playlists.
If I did that, I might use something like 1by1. It has some smart features without requiring any library management, and looks just enough like shareware for my tastes.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
All the mp3s on my computer are rips from CDs I bought in Tokyo dive bars that I'm pretty sure don't exist anymore (both the band and the bar) but other than obscure stuff like that I like the convenience of "find song play song".

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Was it Napster that first let you browse through other folks' collections for other stuff you might like? That still sounds neat to me. Curated playlists on streaming services are a thing, I guess.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

doctorfrog posted:

Was it Napster that first let you browse through other folks' collections for other stuff you might like?
Yeah, that was a big selling point. I'll always remember a friend going
"You listen to Suzanne Vega?! Lol"

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

That is still a thing on Soulseek, which has managed to survive into the 21st century only because of the small number of users.
Occasionally you'll even get a friendly message from someone you're connected to like "Yeah, that album is cool, right? Check out this other thing on their label." (Or more likely, hawking their own demo)
It's a pristine tech relic that I'm glad still exists.
e: The other thing that allowed it to survive is probably only allowing music files, preventing the whole kazaa thing where tons of gross filenames show up for every search you do.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i miss turntable.fm

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Audiogalaxy was the poo poo. It had this thing that indexed every song that had ever been shared on its platform and which client shared it so if there was something obscure that only a few people had you could still mark it for download and it would grab it as soon as that user came back online. I had a really crappy metered ISDN connection back then and audiogalaxy had a command line Linux client. I would log into my web hosting account with telnet and set up the audiogalaxy client there, so it would always be on, then I’d check it when I got online to see what it had grabbed from my wanted queue.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

boar guy posted:

i miss turntable.fm

That deserved to last far longer than it did, it was fun for killing time with friends when I first got to college

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Buttcoin purse posted:

:yossame:

e.g. <artist>\<album>\<track number>-<track name>.mp3, as the CD ripping software does by default? :v: That's how all of my files are stored.

Something like that, buy I'm not too particular about the track numbers in the file name. So long as they're in the ID3 Tag or whatever metadata the format supports.

My way is the correct way, and y'all can step off with the foobar hate.

iPods and the like that will only allow you to access your music through a database make me loving insane. I hate them. I really wish Rockbox would get an Android port. Hell I wish they would roll it into a full fledged OS that you could flash onto old smartphones to make them into dedicated music players. They're all some variation of ARM anyway and who gives a poo poo if the baseband works at that point.

Vanagoon has a new favorite as of 06:52 on Oct 21, 2018

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Are shoutcast radios still A Thing? I recently went looking for Monkey Radio to find the original 24/7 chill study beats stream and it had been dead for a decade or so, lol. Luckily someone had made a Spotify playlist with most of the songs, which also tells just how much of even relatively obscure stuff is in Spotify these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I don’t know exactly when it happened, but I have given up the entire idea of a massive personal media library. There are some albums I keep around, but managing only a few precious collections is actually better than having all the Counting Crows albums “just in case”.