Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

It keeps most of the bad things of having an open office floor (lack of privacy, can't cooperate or have a conversation without disturbing your coworkers) while removing all of the good things (it's an open, less claustrophobic, more social environment) and making things way more awkward. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if Facebook might actually feel some pain for that video metric thing, since they were screwing the people with money who were paying them this time and not just their users.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i think facebook is "people with even more money" these days, but it'd be nice yeah

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rarity posted:

Sorry, cubicles were deemed to be too inpersonal and isolating expensive and made it too hard to keep an eye on the workers so everyone switched to open plan offices and now we need these blinkers to make things more inpersonal and isolating

ftfy

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

lol if you don't have screen watching technology installed on every PC in your office

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

itll be sick when we get cheap business grade vr headset-based workstations so they can make offices into big empty aircraft hangars

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they'll never work a day in their lives why would they need to learn how to type or use a website to find a job or mess with excel

I mean they didn't teach me that in school either. I learned to pass standardized tests

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I hate stuff like this because that was only true if you were the right kind of white male living in the right part of the country and that country was specifically America and also you hadn't been drafted to die in Korea 5 years prior.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Shame Boy posted:

I hate stuff like this because that was only true if you were the right kind of white male living in the right part of the country and that country was specifically America and also you hadn't been drafted to die in Korea 5 years prior.

Corrected:

20-something in 1958 (if a minority): *is lynched, nobody brings it up*
20-something in 2018 (if a minority): *is shot by a policeman, policeman is given a week-long paid vacation*

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Shame Boy posted:

It's still good to point out just how much workers have gotten screwed because a lot of people don't seem to realize how ridiculous things are now.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Grevling posted:

It's still good to point out just how much workers have gotten screwed because a lot of people don't seem to realize how ridiculous things are now.

Yeah like I keep bringing up how much it blows my mind that my grandfather was a high school grad and got a draftsman job at jpl that paid the modern equivalent of 80k+ and was able to support a family of 7 decently. Where as modern rocket scientists with a bs or higher can make less than that. Hell I'm an expert in my field and feel fortunate enough to make over the US household median income but I'm still far below that 80k mark and can barely support myself and my partner who made the grave mistakes of going into public education and having chronic illness so makes negative money.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if minimum wage tracked increases in worker productivity it would be over $20 right now

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Iliad Project.

AKA Rediscover Botulinum toxin. "Wow, this stuff work great on all the test bacteria! It must be good for healthy!"

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

we're gonna make the frogs straight again with the power of genetic engineering!

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Tastykake posted:

we're gonna make the frogs straight again with the power of genetic engineering!

You're supposed to kill the frogs at the end of the experiment but you know a lot of dipshits are gonna set their genetically modified frogs free

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Tastykake posted:

"After using this kit you will have learned how to perform FLEEB (Forumulated Liquid to Enhance the Engineering of Biology) experiments to genetically modify animals. The uses an IGF-1(Insulin like Growth Factor 1) gene therapy that causes increase production of growth hormone. The frogs that are treated with the FLEEB injection with increase in size and weight. You measure this by weighing the frogs over the course of the experiment.
The experiment takes around 5 weeks to complete and requires feeding the frogs once each day and performing injections taking about 1-2 hours once a week."

SA provides all the forumulated liquids I need. For now.
ps yeah the way it's written is pretty good for healthy. I wonder how much it costs to get frogs like that just as pets.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I mean technically I think the technique will modify the frogs, but they also won't be able to pass on the modifications? It sounds like there's not extra data that can be gained by this experiment and following it just makes frogs that are bigger than usual and does nothing else.

The frogs and all the poo poo is relatively cheap. The only things I don't know about are:

"10 syringes of 20ug DNA mixed with transfection reagent
10 syringes of PBS"

So. I dunno. That CRISPR thing is probably significantly more dangerous cause some dick is going to combine that with some hosed up thing and that's basically enforced heritability of traits.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I mean technically I think the technique will modify the frogs, but they also won't be able to pass on the modifications? It sounds like there's not extra data that can be gained by this experiment and following it just makes frogs that are bigger than usual and does nothing else.

The frogs and all the poo poo is relatively cheap. The only things I don't know about are:

"10 syringes of 20ug DNA mixed with transfection reagent
10 syringes of PBS"

So. I dunno. That CRISPR thing is probably significantly more dangerous cause some dick is going to combine that with some hosed up thing and that's basically enforced heritability of traits.

Maybe we should get a few kits and test whether big_frog_gene gets passed on

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grevling posted:

Some like near retirement age coworkers said I was "wrong" when I said the economy sucks for young people these days about a week ago. I kinda just shrugged at him like you're delusional bro.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

pbs is just phosphate buffered saline, its not expensive. dna is (iirc) also pretty cheap on its own, its the equipment and other reagents that are really pricey. and sequencing and poo poo like that. you probably wont get crispred offspring via sexual reproduction unless you specifically modify the germ line, but who knows, you wont be able to tell cuz aint no kit gonna have a sequencer in there and no one buying these things is gonna spring to get their gay frogs dna sequenced

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

but dont take my word for it, ive only transformed bacteria and eukaryotic cell cultures, we should consult a real expert on frog genetics:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

fart store posted:

Maybe we should get a few kits and test whether big_frog_gene gets passed on

I dunno. There's no explanation of what the mechanism is that makes the frogs bigger other than the injections somehow add extra copies of Insulin like Growth Factor 1(IGF-1). It doesn't explain how the genes actually get incorporated into the frog or how these extra copies cause embiggening, or what specific kind of bigness can be expected. It seems like this is an experiment that was done by actual scientists and that would probably explain everything without having to try and replicate it in a kitchen.

I would be willing to do it with other goons but it seems like it's kinda less than ethical to be doing this without understanding what the gently caress you're actually doing. Like we would need to know how the gene gets integrated, where in what parts of the frog it gets integrated, and what is the actual normal heritability. What if it's like ok this frog has 2 extra copies in his brain and this one has 7 in her legs? Without the gene getting to the jizz or eggs it's not going anywhere. Also there may be strong selection pressure against having these extra copies cause they get enlarged extra explody hearts or something. Also I would be pretty worried I accidentally hurt a frog, you need to get them all doped up and stab them once a week and that could gently caress up a lot of ways.

The difference between this and the CRISPR one, other than one is frogs and one is bacteria, is that iirc CRISPER forces the gene to be transmitted and prevents it from leaving the genome normally. Except I'm not sure how it works with complex creatures, if the gene doesn't get to the reproductive system it's not going to continue on.

These guys also sell that gene that makes glow in the dark jellyfish so I guess if you can do big frog you can do glow frog.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I am going to inject myself with the exotic dna and report back. Soon i'll be able to see in the dark and my crap will smell like cinnamon cause my bile now contains cinnamaldehyde or whatever

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Does frog growth gene work on dicks? Asking for a friend.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

spankmeister posted:

Does frog growth gene work on dicks? Asking for a friend.

Sorta, makes it all green and slimy though.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Not even. The gene is also in humans. You have to inject it directly into the dong but if you gently caress up you'll get addict dick syndrome.

I would actually contribute to like a GBS style goon science project as long as it wasn't retarded, but I'm against this frog project thing. It really seemed kinda hosed up when I first saw it and I think the reason is it's not real science or even sciency. These aren't those mice that get tumors for research purposes, sure they're just frogs but it really seems slipshod. It's more like someone is using genetic engineering and bulk crates of frogs they got from somewhere to sell a toy to the I loving love science crowd. Except they're live animals.

I think maybe I would support glow in the dark frogs or something that provably was good or neutral for the frog lives while being aesthetically cool, but this seems kinda hosed up to me. Something about adding in a gene that stimulates growth seems different from a "cosmetic" gene, even though I bet almost no gene anywhere is truly cosmetic.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Zil posted:

Sorta, makes it all green and slimy though.

Sounds like an improvement to me!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It'd legit be cool to be able to take a frog like that and find the gene that makes the beige stripe and tack on a copy of some glowing gene or like the gene that makes beetle shells look metallic, but probably what would happen is the frogs are now blind because their eyes are full of chitin and they can't walk because the pads of their feet glow neat but have lost the ability to grip anything.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh my god i want exotic dna

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

It'd legit be cool to be able to take a frog like that and find the gene that makes the beige stripe and tack on a copy of some glowing gene or like the gene that makes beetle shells look metallic, but probably what would happen is the frogs are now blind because their eyes are full of chitin and they can't walk because the pads of their feet glow neat but have lost the ability to grip anything.

irl Spider-Man just pours silk out of every orifice until it suffocates at birth

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
there's a dude on youtube who bought black widows and is crushing them up and extracting their dna to create yeast that form I guess some kind of vat of spider silk. He mentioned maybe getting silkworms and changing them to use spider silk so it would be produced in a more easily harvestable way. I think he's trying to get a lot of silk to make some kind of thing out of it idk

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

there's a dude on youtube who bought black widows and is crushing them up and extracting their dna to create yeast that form I guess some kind of vat of spider silk. He mentioned maybe getting silkworms and changing them to use spider silk so it would be produced in a more easily harvestable way. I think he's trying to get a lot of silk to make some kind of thing out of it idk

I cant tell if hosed up or cool but im leaning towards cool

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I cant tell if hosed up or cool but im leaning towards cool

It's neither, it's dumbfucks with a modicum of education attempting to do something they don't remotely understand. If you could literally crush up a loving spider, "get the DNA out of it," and "put it in yeast" to get vats of spider silk, that poo poo would be everywhere because we'd already have done it. In reality, producing recombinatorial spider silk is an exacting process due to the nature of the protein produced, as well as being readily biodegradable.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

mycomancy posted:

It's neither, it's dumbfucks with a modicum of education attempting to do something they don't remotely understand. If you could literally crush up a loving spider, "get the DNA out of it," and "put it in yeast" to get vats of spider silk, that poo poo would be everywhere because we'd already have done it. In reality, producing recombinatorial spider silk is an exacting process due to the nature of the protein produced, as well as being readily biodegradable.

look at this nerd doubting the scientific rigor of crushing up spiders for youtube videos lmao

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

mycomancy posted:

plus, in order to get much of the strength right for spider silk it has to be extruded in the correct way, something that you won't get from just grinding up bacteria.

apparently, the biggest attempt so far involved creating "spider goats", that secrete spider silk proteins in their milk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioSteel

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

GoluboiOgon posted:

plus, in order to get much of the strength right for spider silk it has to be extruded in the correct way, something that you won't get from just grinding up bacteria.

Yup. Also, yeast are fungi, not bacteria. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

look at this nerd doubting the scientific rigor of crushing up spiders for youtube videos lmao

yeh we want spider guts vido