Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I can deal with the light conflict since the real delight in the series is how chill the lead is. I was worried it'd be a jerkoff fantasy show but really its chill slime God amassing a horde of buds to have a peaceful life with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dude just wants to relax and be cradled by pretty ladies. Hell, same

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Does a romance come up? It seems weird that one of the biggest things that first ep kinda drills is hes a virgin and felt real lovely how he died without ever even having a g/f and that could never be a thing.

Not that I'm complaining tbh

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

not really, no

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Well a later character appears to have a crush on him.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

OldTennisCourt posted:

Does a romance come up? It seems weird that one of the biggest things that first ep kinda drills is hes a virgin and felt real lovely how he died without ever even having a g/f and that could never be a thing.

that's just a gag setup lol

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

Speaking of which, despite all the praise and commentary I'd heard about the series prior to the first episode, I still became extremely nervous when the MC lamented not getting laid before dying and then claiming that he wouldn't hold back in the next life and acquired the PREDATOR skill. Thankfully all the praise was right and it is indeed so far Not That Kind Of Isekai Show, but boy was that a spooky moment.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Speaking of which, despite all the praise and commentary I'd heard about the series prior to the first episode, I still became extremely nervous when the MC lamented not getting laid before dying and then claiming that he wouldn't hold back in the next life and acquired the PREDATOR skill. Thankfully all the praise was right and it is indeed so far Not That Kind Of Isekai Show, but boy was that a spooky moment.

I assumed it was done in a way that mocks the genre since it didnt seem terribly sincere, especially when combined with all the other traits he picked up just from talking about dying.

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014
I wonder what does him naming the dragon and vice versa did?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

KomeradeCanadian posted:

I wonder what does him naming the dragon and vice versa did?

They go into it, briefly, in the most recent episode. Basically being given a name by another more powerful monster is a way of powering them up. Not quite sure what it does for Veldora but it definitely boosted Rimuru's abilities beyond their initial capabilities.

I think (I havnt read anything and am basing this solely off what little info they tossed at us in the show).

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Rimuru spent a lot of time eating magic rocks/plants too, so that probably factors into his stats too. And after that he went around eating probably low to mid tier monsters before he got out of the cave. One thing I'm a bit curious about is why exactly a sealed Verudora scares off direwolves and some empire but not the cave mobs.

Semquais
Dec 5, 2013

Caidin posted:

Rimuru spent a lot of time eating magic rocks/plants too, so that probably factors into his stats too. And after that he went around eating probably low to mid tier monsters before he got out of the cave. One thing I'm a bit curious about is why exactly a sealed Verudora scares off direwolves and some empire but not the cave mobs.

Because Veldora is a basicly a living nuclear deterrence.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Caidin posted:

Because Veldora merely adopted the cave. They were born in it, molded by it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Mebbe they real dumb. Just like those adventurers the slime snuck past.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they lived their entire lives immersed in verudora's dragon aura. why wouldn't they be used to it?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I just figured he was physically blocking a path or something.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they lived their entire lives immersed in verudora's dragon aura. why wouldn't they be used to it?

Rimuru was down there for awhile and didn't see any monsters until after eating Verudora so I just assumed his presence kept them in check or something. I mean the cave is hella big so them being in there the whole time and just avoiding the immediate area around the dragon is fair too I guess.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Konosuba did it, but I really hope this or another issekai series has an episode where the lead meets a dude being the typical harem power fantasy issekai hero and mocks the gently caress out of him.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm sure there are plenty other vaguely mean-spirited isekai parodies out there. that sorta thing doesn't really fit the tone of this one.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Okay holy poo poo this is really good. In sumnation:

1. Props to not getting hit by a truck like everyone else, instead dying heroically.
2. The interface was apparently made by SHAFT. There's nothing in that sentence I don't love.
3. Aaaahh oh my god the aesthetic is so coooooool!!! (insert a reaction that doesn't make me sound trite)
4. TSUNDERDRAGON
5. Why do I always write these at 2am.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 19, 2018

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

Konosuba did it, but I really hope this or another issekai series has an episode where the lead meets a dude being the typical harem power fantasy issekai hero and mocks the gently caress out of him.

There's one coming out, but instead of a female harem it is an otome harem. The protagonist reincarnated as the villain of her favorite otome game before she got killed by a truck.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

There's one coming out, but instead of a female harem it is an otome harem. The protagonist reincarnated as the villain of her favorite otome game before she got killed by a truck.

Off the top of my head I can think of two that fit that description. Is it Bakarina?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

The Evil Thing posted:

Off the top of my head I can think of two that fit that description. Is it Bakarina?

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/1053150131065827328

Semquais
Dec 5, 2013

The Evil Thing posted:

It is yeah

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh poo poo I hadn't heard that announcement. That loving rules, that's one I've been hoping would get adapted. My one big hope would be dungeon meshi by a good studio like bones. Only when it's finished, however.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Ace

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh good, this is indeed an anime adaptation of the slime isekai I was hoping for.

Even better, Bakarina in the works!

Maybe anime wasn't a mistake :unsmith:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

EponymousMrYar posted:

Oh good, this is indeed an anime adaptation of the slime isekai I was hoping for.

Maybe anime wasn't a mistake :unsmith:
Anime's only a mistake when Gimme tries to make us feel bad about watching and enjoying Isekai. :colbert:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Anime's only a mistake when Gimme tries to make us feel bad about watching and enjoying Isekai. :colbert:

Though there are many Isekai that I find abhorrent or cringy I can never truly give up the genre, because that would be mean turning away from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

And thus at its core, Isekai must be good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bakarina is an isekai and is great, accomplishments of a duke's daughter is an isekai and is great, slime isekai is an isekai and is great, saying all isekai is bad is basically being the rando non-anime-watcher saying all anime is bad because there are a bunch of bad shows

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I agree that it's wrong to completely write off the entire genre and I've definitely found some I really like, but having low expectations when you go in is just being realistic.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

Bakarina is an isekai and is great, accomplishments of a duke's daughter is an isekai and is great, slime isekai is an isekai and is great, saying all isekai is bad is basically being the rando non-anime-watcher saying all anime is bad because there are a bunch of bad shows
Is Re Zero great?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Grouchio posted:

Is Re Zero great?

If you don't mind a slow first half of a show, it ends up great.

Re:Zero undermines the isekai power fantasy in its own way. The guy who made it is a friend with the guy behind Konosuba, and there's similarities in how they treat the MC even though the shows are completely different in tone.

First and foremost though, it's a must-see for people who enjoy time fuckery like Groundhog Day, Stein's;Gate and All You Need Is Kill / Edge of Tomorrow.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Donnerberg posted:

If you don't mind a slow first half of a show, it ends up great.

Re:Zero undermines the isekai power fantasy in its own way. The guy who made it is a friend with the guy behind Konosuba, and there's similarities in how they treat the MC even though the shows are completely different in tone.

First and foremost though, it's a must-see for people who enjoy time fuckery like Groundhog Day, Stein's;Gate and All You Need Is Kill / Edge of Tomorrow.
:yeah:

Also, if you like borderline Saw-esque horror at times, Re:Zero has that going on for it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Thanks! I'm already a huge fan of it (and know what's coming up), but I wanted your opinion.
Yes there will be a Season 2 the second OVA is setting up for it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Rezero seemed really haremy at first, which I hate but it was less of that as it went on

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I liked the horror mystery arc and the balls to spend an entire episode of just a dialogue between two people and nothing else.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Re zero is a harem, but it's the baron's harem. Subaru is a part of it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mordaedil posted:

I liked the horror mystery arc and the balls to spend an entire episode of just a dialogue between two people and nothing else.

Gintama has an excellent episode that is just some of the characters sitting around a hotpot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ACCA is practically an entire series of people just talking to each other.