Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

God you guys are merciless though. I get that we're more woke here than elsewhere and consider the personalities beyond the media we consume, but I get wanting to talk about games and not the monsters behind them holding the industry back.

I think containing the biggest problem guy into one thread is a bad way to go about it, but I don't think making a place for people to talk about general rule and settings that is seperate from talking about serial harrassers and their impact on the community is such a terrible idea, especially given the lack of reach we have to actually correct the former and that there are already 2 threads on that matter.

Basically give that boy a TG thread in The Imp Zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

there are places to talk about rules and settings, it's called 90% of the threads in this place

where the hell should people be talking about a serial harasser in the industry if not the industry thread?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Moriatti posted:

God you guys are merciless though. I get that we're more woke here than elsewhere and consider the personalities beyond the media we consume, but I get wanting to talk about games and not the monsters behind them holding the industry back.

I think containing the biggest problem guy into one thread is a bad way to go about it, but I don't think making a place for people to talk about general rule and settings that is seperate from talking about serial harrassers and their impact on the community is such a terrible idea, especially given the lack of reach we have to actually correct the former and that there are already 2 threads on that matter.

Basically give that boy a TG thread in The Imp Zone.

Find your mouse's clitoris and use it to move past the conversation elements you find troublesome.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Plutonis posted:

See, I'm aware I was an abrasive and rude person on this forum not long ago. I'm trying to make progress on that. I'm getting psychological help. I'm being able to act like an adult and try to talk to people like an adult and resolve situations like an adult. I think that's something that could help this forum as well, stopping with the pointless gossip derails that happen every week or so and take several pages.

The nature of the paid consultants on 5e and the well-justified anger towards them and Mike Mearls won't go away, but a "containment" thread would only lead to worse poo poo like it always does when you have a single topic thread dedicated to sustained anger/mockery. You could redirect people to discuss things in the industry thread instead of the 5e thread, but it's not going to stop recurring until 6e is released.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Plutonis posted:

See, I'm aware I was an abrasive and rude person on this forum not long ago. I'm trying to make progress on that. I'm getting psychological help. I'm being able to act like an adult and try to talk to people like an adult and resolve situations like an adult. I think that's something that could help this forum as well, stopping with the pointless gossip derails that happen every week or so and take several pages.

I wouldn’t call complaining about being unable to discuss imagination games because people care about feeling unsafe in this hobby talking like an adult, personally.

Edit: I’m actually going to apologize because I’m being way too harsh and dismissive of Plutonis and that’s not fair. Like, I get it. It sucks that every time you want to talk about these games you have to hear the same poo poo rehashed. But as someone who does bring up this poo poo a lot, it really loving sucks that every time people say that talking about them should stop I’m reminded that that they may be right? That this hobby can not and does not care to improve, that I am not safe in this hobby, that the little games and ideas I have stay in me because becoming active in this gamedev holds the risk that I will be outed and harassed and made physically in addition to emotionally endangered. And that dovetails into all the other poo poo I deal with in life, and the fact I have to look in a mirror every day and see someone who is not me because it is not safe to not present in a traditional way, and all I can do is this primal scream on a dead comedy forum. Is that really so intolerable?

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 20, 2018

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Why the gently caress haven't all of you put plutonis on ignore yet? He's the loving platonic ideal of trolls and yet you guys continue to feed him like there's an achievement for responding to dumbass bait posts 10,000 times.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

there are places to talk about rules and settings, it's called 90% of the threads in this place

where the hell should people be talking about a serial harasser in the industry if not the industry thread?

Nah, that's an ideal spot. I just get the wiplash of "Hey what's a good mecha game" right next to "and then Zak S did this lovely crime against the industry and kept us culturally in the 90ss"

I honestly wouldn't even change this thread, I'm saying put an Imp Zone thread for talking about Paladins falling and the like and leave threads like this for open discussion.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the ignore button is for cowards

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Okay, I'll bite because it's true you've been less bad lately:

This is chatting about the traditional games industry, which happens in both the thread for chatting about traditional games and the thread about the traditional games industry, because it's something that ought to concern everyone who plays traditional games.

I get that it's emotionally draining to be constantly exposed to these people, but unfortunately traditional gaming has a big problem where a bunch of nazi-adjacent people are deeply embedded in the community/industry, and burying our heads in the sand by not talking about it (or asking people to only talk about it in some "containment thread") is not going to solve this problem.

More importantly, complaining that the talk about bad actors in traditional gaming is "pointless gossip derails" is a really lovely thing to say, because you are dismissing the many bad things that those nazi-adjacent bad actors have done, including but not limited to organising years-long harassment campaigns that force people to move halfway across the world because the nazi-adjacent fans are stalking their children, attempting to get people to commit suicide, or actively pushing the acceptance of fascist ideas.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Plutonis posted:

I appreciate you getting help and trying to improve yourself, Plutonis. It's not an easy stept to take, and I speak from experience. You should be proud of yourself from that.

But please do not refer to people rightfully pointing out that assholes are assholes as "pointless gossip". People not talking about this poo poo gives the assholes power.

Serf
May 5, 2011

my protip is that if you're reading a post and you find that you're not enjoying it, just move on to the next one and try again. if there's been a lot of crap posts recently, just hit the last post button after a few days and see if things have changed

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Which is a better game: Savage Worlds or Fate Core? GURPS?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

4e next question.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nuns with Guns posted:

The nature of the paid consultants on 5e and the well-justified anger towards them and Mike Mearls won't go away, but a "containment" thread would only lead to worse poo poo like it always does when you have a single topic thread dedicated to sustained anger/mockery. You could redirect people to discuss things in the industry thread instead of the 5e thread, but it's not going to stop recurring until 6e is released.

there will never be a 6e

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Covok posted:

Moriatti posted:

4e next question.

But joking aside, it depends entirely on what you're trying to do with the systems and your comfort level towards crunch. SW is medium-crunch but plays pretty fast, and FC is lighter and more abstract. GURPS is as light or as heavy as you need it to be.

It'd be more appropriate to ask which is better for a game theme you're going for, like superheroes or pulp action or gritty inner-city/cop drama or whatever.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

there will never be a 6e

there will be one just in time for the d&d movie imho

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Covok posted:

SW = Minis & Tactics, FC = Narrating & Imagineering

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Brother Entropy posted:

we've had a few of those

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Brother Entropy posted:

this strategy went really well for world of warcraft

ETA: I actually watched the 2000 D&D movie the other day and it was charmingly awful

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

we've had a few of those

yes but they've said they're making a big new one in theaters sometime within the next few years

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Savage Worlds is more complete out of the box and relies more on reakinning to fit genres, while with Fate you're expected to build a lot off the base framework of the system.

It's worth noting too that Savage Worlds and Fate are both systems built around doing more than just attacking every round in combat. There are maneuvers and such in both systems that the game math assumes you're going to be doing to give yourself advantages or tweak the odds.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Moriatti posted:

Nah, that's an ideal spot. I just get the wiplash of "Hey what's a good mecha game" right next to "and then Zak S did this lovely crime against the industry and kept us culturally in the 90ss"

I honestly wouldn't even change this thread, I'm saying put an Imp Zone thread for talking about Paladins falling and the like and leave threads like this for open discussion.

The problem with that logic is that the Imp Zone does not have the culture that fosters mock threads, something that really endears it to me.

E: except for those BBG threads about funny lovely shovelware from ten years ago

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
If this was talking about Zak or Desborough again, I'd have some sympathy for the "can't we just move on" position. I know I'd be happier never hearing their names again. But I'd never heard of this boogie guy and I'm glad to have people here explaining what is going on.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Thank you. I want to play a game based on the high stakes world of children's card games and Fate seems like the best framework to make that fit in.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

Edit: I’m actually going to apologize because I’m being way too harsh and dismissive of Plutonis and that’s not fair. Like, I get it. It sucks that every time you want to talk about these games you have to hear the same poo poo rehashed. But as someone who does bring up this poo poo a lot, it really loving sucks that every time people say that talking about them should stop I’m reminded that that they may be right? That this hobby can not and does not care to improve, that I am not safe in this hobby, that the little games and ideas I have stay in me because becoming active in this gamedev holds the risk that I will be outed and harassed and made physically in addition to emotionally endangered. And that dovetails into all the other poo poo I deal with in life, and the fact I have to look in a mirror every day and see someone who is not me because it is not safe to not present in a traditional way, and all I can do is this primal scream on a dead comedy forum. Is that really so intolerable?

No, but it definitely does compel me to shitpost out of exasperation in response to people's exasperated shitposting over whatever drama is either eclipsing or outright consuming any discussion that doesn't revolve entirely around that specific issue, while doing any actual effortposting either offsite or in random bursts whenever things are vaguely less bad. I mean, the loving Exalted thread was unreadable for the better part of several years and would have more or less have descended to being the D&D 5E thread as it is now if it wasn't for the game line replacing the Dev team. Before that, even years after the original drama it had to rely on the community to do its own backseat moderation there because WinsonPaine was understandably sort of meh on the whole 'discuss anything other than the dev team' aspect of things. And now there is, for the love of god, actual constructive discussion in the thread instead of endless bloviation over the same two topics and drive-by shitposts, which is pretty nice to have. I don't know if I actually still give a gently caress though because again, there are still objectively better places that I found when things were at their most unreadable here, and I still prefer it there.

There is no fixing the D&D 5E thread for as long as Mearls is writing for it, and as far as anyone not a part of this community goes, nobody gives a poo poo about what random consultants have done and so Mearls will not stop writing for it up until he quits of his own volition. So my advice is, in all seriousness, just to let the D&D 5E thread fester into whatever the gently caress it is right now, and if you really actually want to, then just discuss D&D on Reddit or rpg.net or Sufficient Velocity or something. Seriously. That's the only realistic option, because I don't think anybody is willing to let this go at least to the point where people are permitted to discuss other things.

I have absolutely no interest in D&D, and I think it's good that I'm not stupid enough or interested enough to want to discuss it here.

Serf posted:

my protip is that if you're reading a post and you find that you're not enjoying it, just move on to the next one and try again. if there's been a lot of crap posts recently, just hit the last post button after a few days and see if things have changed

Or just post somewhere else entirely instead of going 'yes this thread is terrible but there's the off chance it may be slightly less terrible on a good day.' Just accept that things like the D&D 5E thread are the personal FYAD for the exclusive use of specific regulars, rather than people with a casual interest and move the gently caress on.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

yes but they've said they're making a big new one in theaters sometime within the next few years

What are the odds that it'll be set in one of the many well known game settings or follow the plot of a D&D novel versus "whoa, a group of charmingly geeky but attractive people in the Young Person Demographic have gotten sucked into Fantasy Kitchen Sink #45"?

I mean, either way it wouldn't be great since there aren't any good D&D novels but I think option 2 would still be way more obnoxious.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bob Quixote posted:

What are the odds that it'll be set in one of the many well known game settings or follow the plot of a D&D novel versus "whoa, a group of charmingly geeky but attractive people in the Young Person Demographic have gotten sucked into Fantasy Kitchen Sink #45"?

I mean, either way it wouldn't be great since there aren't any good D&D novels but I think option 2 would still be way more obnoxious.

i mean, if you were in charge of making money off of a movie would you rather follow what warcraft did or what jumanji 2 did

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Bob Quixote posted:

there aren't any good D&D novels

It looks like somebody has neglected the masterwork that is the Drizz't Do'Urden series by the legendary R.A. Salvatore

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

It looks like somebody has neglected the masterwork that is the Drizz't Do'Urden series by the legendary R.A. Salvatore

let's be real: bob salvatore can only write his way out of a faux-italian, "swarthy" paper bag

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

i mean, if you were in charge of making money off of a movie would you rather follow what warcraft did or what jumanji 2 did

But Jumanji 2 made an incredible amount of money!?!?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bedlamdan posted:

But Jumanji 2 made an incredible amount of money!?!?

yes, this is the point i was making

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

let's be real: bob salvatore can only write his way out of a faux-italian, "swarthy" paper bag

:( I can never forgive Ed Greenwood for writing a book about a viking man escaping from slavery and killing Drow, and making it unreadably boring.

I don't know what Dark Warrior Rising was but I can never forgive it.

Brother Entropy posted:

yes, this is the point i was making

Ok good.

I'm glad Isekai is making a comeback in the West.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

Yeah, that's fair but Warcraft is also pretty garbage for a lot of reasons aside from being based off of Warcrafts terrible lore.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Bedlamdan posted:

Who amongst the Hollywood elite will be the first to try and film a drow in a way that won't be immediately called out as racist shenanigans? Even the WOW movie balked and doing Night Elves in real purples and went with whatever this is:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

theironjef posted:

Who amongst the Hollywood elite will be the first to try and film a drow in a way that won't be immediately called out as racist shenanigans? Even the WOW movie balked and doing Night Elves in real purples and went with whatever this is:

Fool, those are clearly High Elves or "Quel'dorei' in their tongue, and have always been traditionally Caucasian!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

like, i would be 100% down for the d&d movie to be the whole 'real group of friends fall into d&d land' trope. it lets you do cute stuff where you underline what's fun and unique about pen & paper gaming: doing it with your buddies and taking on roles different from who you are irl

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Bedlamdan posted:

Fool, those are clearly High Elves or "Quel'dorei' in their tongue, and have always been traditionally Caucasian!

Jesus, really? Everything about that movie is the worst.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

theironjef posted:

Night elves weren't a thing until Warcraft 3

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

theironjef posted:

The Warcraft movie depicts the First War (Warcraft I), night elves don't get involved until the Third War (Warcraft 3).

in the far future of world of warcraft those high elves have split into blood elves (with red hair and green or gold eyes) and void elves (with blue skin, dark blue or black hair, and black eyes), with a tiny handful of high elves still kicking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Andrast posted:

Night elves weren't a thing until Warcraft 3

Yeah they were. They just weren't in the games until Warcraft 3. I just figured from the white hair and purple eye glow that this was creative liberties.