Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
A pair of jack stands.

Then you can be the cool uncle/aunt who saved his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

wesleywillis posted:

Tow strap = good choice, I'll look in to that, and a jack.... What sort of jack won't kill him? Like I mean what is the stock Ranger jack of that era like? Is it ok if its never been used? Or is the stocker just bad all around (they usually are).

He's in highschool and has, or is taking some auto shop classes, so I'd hope that he's at least basically competent to change a tire/follow the instructions to put in a string plug etc.

Probably stock jack will be the typical scissor style. I view those as a once use only thing. A small trolley jack in a blow molded case isn't bad to have around and can probably be stuffed behind the seats with the tow strap, road flares, jumper cables, emergency rations, flare gun, emergency pistol, female corpse, etc.

But seriously, it is nice to see to someone like you doing the right thing.

This jack stuff reminds me of a funny story. Bought our Expedition used. Part of the jack is stored in a back compartment. I can't remember why but I opened it up (basically a back panel) and inside was an unused (thankfully) condom still in the wrapper. Nice to know I bought the Fuckwagon 5000 Express model.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Simple bottle jacks are often good for stuff like pickups, plus are more compact than trolley jacks.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

Tow strap = good choice, I'll look in to that

Be a little careful with what strap you get as well. I don't know a lot about it, but there are straps intended for different things with differing amounts of stretch in them. You see videos all the time of someone using a stretchy tow strap incorrectly and smashing out windows. A metal hook on the end of what is effectively a 30ft rubber band will do serious damage to whatever it hits.

I'd suggest one with as little stretch as possible.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If you are looking for jacks and stands don't forget to check Costco. For other ideas, what about an oil change kit? Quality drain pan, good quality 3/8 or even 1/2 drive ratchet and good filter wrench?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Kid with their first truck? Get him an air mattress and some sheets, lol. Hide a case of beer in there too. Best. Uncle. Ever.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Rangers of that era come with a teeny little bottle jack (at least, my '05 did). It still sucks to use, but it feels a lot safer than your standard scissor jack.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Definitely something heavy to put in the bed. My 03 was easy as hell to slide around in in the rain; they are super front heavy. Even more so if you throw a brushguard on there :v: Tow straps are good, but so are decent ratchet straps. Not sure of your budget, but a truckbox/toolbox would be cool if it's not an extended cab. He's got to have somewhere to throw all this stuff.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fats posted:

Rangers of that era come with a teeny little bottle jack (at least, my '05 did). It still sucks to use, but it feels a lot safer than your standard scissor jack.

Yeah if you get the bottle jack be the cool uncle/aunt that got him a long proper handle to loving use with it like my dumbass didn't get myself.

loving SSUUUCCKKSS trying to jack up the truck millimeters at a time when lovely lug wrench that you're using as a handle keeps slipping around in the handle fitting, robbing you of leverage and making a crummy day shittier.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Kid with their first truck? Get him an air mattress and some sheets, lol. Hide a case of beer in there too. Best. Uncle. Ever.

QuarkMartial posted:

Definitely something heavy to put in the bed.

Sounds like you are suggesting getting him a fat date.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Get some action while aiding traction?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Holy poo poo, all the suggestions! I can feel the goon love ITT.

MY budget is limited to maybe a hundred and twenty bucks because I'm a broke rear end, cheap uncle. Plus I imagine both sets of grand parents, parents, other uncles will be getting him related poo poo too.

I got the bed weight covered. My work has 50 pound bags of sand in stock all the time, so he's getting at least 3 of them. I'll even show him how to build a little 2x4 frame to keep them over the rear axle.

Thus far he'll be getting from me: 3-4 bags of sand, coarse, can be used for throwing under tires if necessary. Extendable breaker bar w/sockets for busting lug nuts, Re-gifted jumper cables, tire repair kit. I may just build him one after all, rather than get the kit I posted. Tow strap, and I'll ask my brother if the truck has a jack, if it doesn't I'll pick him one up.

Should I get him a short length of 4x4 wood to put under the jack? Maybe its not necessary if he jacks it up from the axle or control arm....

Probably a tool box that will fit most of that poo poo.

Do they take H4 bulbs? I might get him a decent set.

I want to make sure he doesn't go with some m4d sykk euro blue bullshit lights.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Holy poo poo, all the suggestions! I can feel the goon love ITT.

MY budget is limited to maybe a hundred and twenty bucks because I'm a broke rear end, cheap uncle. Plus I imagine both sets of grand parents, parents, other uncles will be getting him related poo poo too.

I got the bed weight covered. My work has 50 pound bags of sand in stock all the time, so he's getting at least 3 of them. I'll even show him how to build a little 2x4 frame to keep them over the rear axle.

Thus far he'll be getting from me: 3-4 bags of sand, coarse, can be used for throwing under tires if necessary. Extendable breaker bar w/sockets for busting lug nuts, Re-gifted jumper cables, tire repair kit. I may just build him one after all, rather than get the kit I posted. Tow strap, and I'll ask my brother if the truck has a jack, if it doesn't I'll pick him one up.

Should I get him a short length of 4x4 wood to put under the jack? Maybe its not necessary if he jacks it up from the axle or control arm....

Probably a tool box that will fit most of that poo poo.

Do they take H4 bulbs? I might get him a decent set.

I want to make sure he doesn't go with some m4d sykk euro blue bullshit lights.

Make the 4x4 a little bit longer and it can be used to whack off rusted rims when he gets a flat. Its better then any dead blow and doesn't damage the tire. Also can be used to do big piece of 4x4 things.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

boxen posted:

Be a little careful with what strap you get as well. I don't know a lot about it, but there are straps intended for different things with differing amounts of stretch in them. You see videos all the time of someone using a stretchy tow strap incorrectly and smashing out windows. A metal hook on the end of what is effectively a 30ft rubber band will do serious damage to whatever it hits.

I'd suggest one with as little stretch as possible.

The elastic kind is a snatch strap. A tow strap will have a little bit of give to it, but not like you're describing. Definitely safer and more versatile than a snatch strap, unless you really know what you're doing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I wonder if I waltz into HF and as the clerk where the snatch straps are what would happen.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Colostomy Bag posted:

I wonder if I waltz into HF and as the clerk where the snatch straps are what would happen.

Ask for a snatch block while you're at it.

Once went in to a liquor store looking for whiskey. Asked a lady "Excuse me, you you have Black Bush"?

She was all :blush: Then I stammered out "whiskey"!!

She had black hair.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

wesleywillis posted:

Ask for a snatch block while you're at it.

Once went in to a liquor store looking for whiskey. Asked a lady "Excuse me, you you have Black Bush"?

She was all :blush: Then I stammered out "whiskey"!!

She had black hair.
I wanted a copy of The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas.

The girl working for my local HMV was very, very clearly unaware that it was a whimsical musical.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Free hat!

https://www.wd40.com/sema

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Getting one for my pops! Dude uses that stuff everywhere.

Any recommendations on a pliers set? I want a diagonal cutter and a needle nose for sure, but I wouldn’t mind a complete set.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

nitsuga posted:

Getting one for my pops! Dude uses that stuff everywhere.

Any recommendations on a pliers set? I want a diagonal cutter and a needle nose for sure, but I wouldn’t mind a complete set.
Knipex is the poo poo, and you're probably better off not buying a set. Knipex is available on Amazon but kctoolco.com often has deals as well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I like my Stanley Fatmax pliers with the compound joint mechanism for more leverage - but oddly, it seems they're not sold in the USA?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Thanks! KCTool looks like a site I could spend just a bit of money at, and I found some FatMax pliers on Acme.

Anybody got one of those Wera Tool Checks? I’d love a metric set, but I’m missing standards mostly.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I have a metric one with the mini ratchet etc. I think it's great. Useful on some real tight spots around the engine bay.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/wera-39-piece-tool-check-plus-combination-kit_p6060222

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Guys - so I have found myself owning a bunch of tools after getting a project car, and now I’m looking for a tool chest.

What are your favorites?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

morothar posted:

Guys - so I have found myself owning a bunch of tools after getting a project car, and now I’m looking for a tool chest.

What are your favorites?

Harbor Freight/US General.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I don’t know if every size is good, but the HF U.S. General 44” chests have a cult following, and they’ve got some cool expansion options if your collection keeps growing.

As an aside, I bought a 26” Clarke years ago, but often wish I had paid up for a 44”.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Harbor Freight/US General.

Seconded. They're easily the most well-built things in the store.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have the 26" inch red drawer from harbor freight by recommendation here years ago. I highly recommend it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I got a used husky at a garage sale and have been very happy with it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I personally don't own one, but the Costco/Kirkland units seem kind of nice.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
Another vote for the harbor freight 44" chest. I added the extra drawers on the side as well, works nicely in my setup. The box is five years old now, made two moves, gets decent use, and still looks almost brand new.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
HF 44" is unbeatable for the price. If you don't need the size, then there are other options. The 30" HF cart is nice too, with a bunch of drawers. Pretty hard to go wrong with either of those.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am sure I've said it before, but drat, it feels weird going into a Lowes and seeing the Craftsman logo everywhere.

At least the best part of Sears will live on, both sides of the border.

Anyone have any idea what's going to happen with Kenmore?

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
So home depot has there spend xxx dollars and get free power tools going on for xmas. I currently have ryobi one plus impact, drill, saw all and mini circular saw. The mini saw sees the least use as I'm using my craftsman worm gear circular way more even with its cord and saw all sees some use.

But the drill and impact see the most use. We have both ryobi and makita at our cabin and the makita just feels better. Is this a common theme with makita vs ryobi? I've got greens and blue ryobis. The green feels a bit better than the old blues.

Of course I went looking during this post and found this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XWT08...-11&ref=sr_1_11

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

stgdz posted:

So home depot has there spend xxx dollars and get free power tools going on for xmas. I currently have ryobi one plus impact, drill, saw all and mini circular saw. The mini saw sees the least use as I'm using my craftsman worm gear circular way more even with its cord and saw all sees some use.

But the drill and impact see the most use. We have both ryobi and makita at our cabin and the makita just feels better. Is this a common theme with makita vs ryobi? I've got greens and blue ryobis. The green feels a bit better than the old blues.

Of course I went looking during this post and found this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XWT08...-11&ref=sr_1_11

Makita is significantly better than Ryobi, but they're also priced accordingly. As long as you aren't too hard on Ryobi's, they're pretty good tools

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

stgdz posted:

We have both ryobi and makita at our cabin and the makita just feels better. Is this a common theme with makita vs ryobi? I've got greens and blue ryobis. The green feels a bit better than the old blues.

The same company makes Ryobi and Milwaukee. Ryobi is the budget brand, but still pretty good depending on your needs.

Comparing your makita tools to milwaukee would probably be more fair.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

I am sure I've said it before, but drat, it feels weird going into a Lowes and seeing the Craftsman logo everywhere.

At least the best part of Sears will live on, both sides of the border.

Anyone have any idea what's going to happen with Kenmore?

Isn't Kenmore largely just rebranded LG these days?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I've got a £10 voucher to use up in the next couple of days at a tool company (https://www.screwfix.com).

I don't need anything: suggestions for something useful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Consumables, they do a decent set of jobbing drills, flap discs, their led bulbs are the only ones I buy.