Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah i'm more than happy to break down specific advice for you but i'll need a bit more data on precisely how you are dying. is it food? is it mood? is it raiders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Keeshhound posted:

Don't bother with solar unless you're making a hothouse. Batteries are a trap, they just mean that zzzt events will make a bigger explosion. Build a wood fired generator and use that to keep yourself going until you've researched chemfuel refining and use that for your early power needs; 70 wood becomes 35 chemfuel, 30 chemfuel is 1000 uninterrupted, reliable watts for a week.

This is good to know. Thanks for the tip.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It's also as good a way as any to get rid of any human or insect meat you happen to have if you haven't been blessed with any cannibals.

And now that I'm thinking about it I remember that it just uses 3.5 nutrition points of whatever ingredients you've designated, so once you've got your farm going you can start using 70 rice instead of having to keep sending loggers out, or if you want to put the extra work in, you can use simple meals for even less net rice used.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 19, 2018

wit
Jul 26, 2011

explosivo posted:

This is good to know. Thanks for the tip.

You can also just charge up batteries fully and uninstall them until they're needed. Keep the fully charged uninstalled batteries in your power room or whatever and its a two second job to plug them back in to your grid. Very few people seem to do this, but yeah you can physically store electricity.

I'm interested to know other people's first day plans. Generally, as soon as I land, and before I unpause I scan the map for geysers. They're a source of heat early on if you wall them in and a nice reliable source of power when you get geothermal power tech. If I land near one that otherwise isn't an awkward place (its not mud or rocky soil) I'll immediately build a biggish storehouse and put pawn sleeping spots in it as well as storage. If not, I'll put a roof over where we've landed by placing a pillar/single wall and making a roof area around it that covers most of the supplies they have. I'll put the plans down for the storehouse somewhere else on the map and they can start lugging everything over. In either case, I'll put down a horseshoe game before I'll even make a bed. More of my early colonies have died due to mental breaks than anything else. As early as possible I try to make a central crafting area too, and have all the beds and stuff made there, mostly from the trees that have had to have been cleared. Paths go down by day three Then its planting with a view to adding a wind farm to the crop fields and get all the kitchen stuff up and running.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

wit posted:

You can also just charge up batteries fully and uninstall them until they're needed. Keep the fully charged uninstalled batteries in your power room or whatever and its a two second job to plug them back in to your grid. Very few people seem to do this, but yeah you can physically store electricity.

I didn't know this, so you could build a battery, charge it, uninstall it, put a new battery in, charge it... and they keep the energy stored even when uninstalled? It can just be slotted in anywhere again later?

wit posted:

I'm interested to know other people's first day plans. Generally, as soon as I land, and before I unpause I scan the map for geysers. They're a source of heat early on if you wall them in and a nice reliable source of power when you get geothermal power tech. If I land near one that otherwise isn't an awkward place (its not mud or rocky soil) I'll immediately build a biggish storehouse and put pawn sleeping spots in it as well as storage. If not, I'll put a roof over where we've landed by placing a pillar/single wall and making a roof area around it that covers most of the supplies they have. I'll put the plans down for the storehouse somewhere else on the map and they can start lugging everything over. In either case, I'll put down a horseshoe game before I'll even make a bed. More of my early colonies have died due to mental breaks than anything else. As early as possible I try to make a central crafting area too, and have all the beds and stuff made there, mostly from the trees that have had to have been cleared. Paths go down by day three Then its planting with a view to adding a wind farm to the crop fields and get all the kitchen stuff up and running.

I tend to look for a large clump of rich soil, as long as it's not too far out from the center of the map. Proximity to geysers doesn't bother me too much as I can adapt to that. Any that I don't use I turn into a sort of defense platform, just bam a bunch of turrets around a geothermal power thing, as many as it can keep permanently powered. Somewhere defensible helps too but I tend to just wall sections off anyway.

First thing I do is make a wood "canopy", where x a block of wood:

code:

x.....x
...x...
x.....x

build roof, then it's an easy access but roofed wood storage, and shove everything I land with under that, then knock up a quick barracks. If for some weird reason the barracks isn't up yet, they can have a sleeping spot under the storage canopy. Once I build a proper little storage room, I leave the canopy storage just for wood. Kitchen gets up and running w/fridge (I use rimfridge so I tend to have those in the kitchen, but pre that the standard freezer room) then I get a stonecutting room going. Soon as I can, I get the colonists some individual rooms so they stop pissing and moaning about sharing.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Batteries self-discharge these days. It’s not super high, but they won’t hold charge forever like they used to.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Also, they only hold 600w. You're really just better off with constant power generators in almost all situations, since it's only the amount stored that effects the zzzt event.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What's everyone's optimal layout for bedrooms/barracks? I've been doing something like 6 rooms ~5x5 in size with a hallway in between the rooms that gets cooled by the AC's and vents connecting to each room. Sorta like this:

code:
xxDDxx.xxDDxx.xxDDxx
x....x.x....x.x....x
x....x.x....x.x....x
x....x.x....x.x....x
xxxVxxxxxVxxxxxxVxxx
x..................x
AC................AC
x..................x
xxxVxxxxxVxxxxxxVxxx
x....x.x....x.x....x
x....x.x....x.x....x
x....x.x....x.x....x
xxDDxx.xxDDxx.xxDDxx
The big issue I run into is that hallway in the middle (that goes unused except as a cooling/heating room) has to be like -30F to really cool down the rooms effectively if it's really hot out and it seems incredibly inefficient.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you can still make use of battery backups by having a switch that you allow to charge every couple of days, but are disconnected most of the time. but in general i'd argue that its use is so limited i tend to agree with keeshhound and you are better off just focusing on sufficient power generation. batteries are mostly helpful for making pop-up turret bunkers against specific threats, and in those sorts of situations you can frequently charge one up sufficiently in the time it takes for your pawns to build the structure and install the turrets.

re: barracks i just literally do this:

look at the lower left with the beds

you can scale the block to whatever you need, and preferably not gently caress it up so all the apartments are of equal size. just put doors on the outer edge and boom, instant motel. note that with any design that has a hallway, you are losing a nontrivial amount of cool or hot through the roof of the building, so you're making life harder on yourself to no real benefit by adding the hall.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 19, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
If batteries didn't take components, I'd probably be more positive on them, but as is you might as well just eat the extra 30 steel plus whatever it takes to get a power line to your outpost and build a wood fueled generator so you don't have to worry about your turrets shutting off if the fight goes long.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 19, 2018

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Coolguye posted:

look at the lower left with the beds

you can scale the block to whatever you need, and preferably not gently caress it up so all the apartments are of equal size. just put doors on the outer edge and boom, instant motel. note that with any design that has a hallway, you are losing a nontrivial amount of cool or hot through the roof of the building, so you're making life harder on yourself to no real benefit by adding the hall.

Do you just shove AC units in the walls of each room? This makes sense, I figured something like this was happening as that hallway in the middle is basically a freezer most of the time.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

explosivo posted:

What's everyone's optimal layout for bedrooms/barracks? I've been doing something like 6 rooms ~5x5 in size with a hallway in between the rooms that gets cooled by the AC's and vents connecting to each room. Sorta like this:

code:
xxDDxx.xxDDxx.xxDDxx
x....x.x....x.x....x
x....x.x....x.x....x
x....x.x....x.x....x
xxxVxxxxxVxxxxxxVxxx
x..................x
AC................AC
x..................x
xxxVxxxxxVxxxxxxVxxx
x....x.x....x.x....x
x....x.x....x.x....x
x....x.x....x.x....x
xxDDxx.xxDDxx.xxDDxx
The big issue I run into is that hallway in the middle (that goes unused except as a cooling/heating room) has to be like -30F to really cool down the rooms effectively if it's really hot out and it seems incredibly inefficient.

Don't separate the rooms into their own standalone buildings, you're building twice as many walls as you need for no reason. Lose the hallway too and just build ac units in the walls, link the bedrooms with vents in their shared walls.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

explosivo posted:

Do you just shove AC units in the walls of each room? This makes sense, I figured something like this was happening as that hallway in the middle is basically a freezer most of the time.

pretty much. 2 AC units is usually enough for the whole block.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How do I change names of my colonists/create a pool of names for new people to draw from?

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How do I change names of my colonists/create a pool of names for new people to draw from?

I don't know if there's a coding way or a less technical way to do it, but using Prepare Carefully you can hand create people to sort of shove generally into the world for you to encounter at some point.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Had this going in 0.19. I put a couple dozen hours into it, which started as the Naked Tribal start with one pawn. Lots of mods but a pretty easy difficulty.

The area where the greenhouse is used to have a row of wind generators, but the activation of the Rimatomics plant in the upper right made them redundant so they were salvaged for real estate.

I'm not really into min-maxing or massive optimization and have generally no problems with raids given the length of the kill corridor. Somewhat disappointingly, the raids almost never try any other way in. A few raids have dropped right into my base and those tend to cause the most damage, but most of the rest just pour through the trap maze until enough die for the rest to flee. The few raids large enough to get someone through the maze get mowed down pretty quick by the turrets and gun emplacements (which definitely do trivialize some of the difficulty up to now).

The jade-filled room goes to whoever the current mayor is.

Big ups to the person who posted about that kitchen layout, my cooks work easily ten times faster now. Even with only 10-12 colonists, we go through meat faster than we can hunt it so I wind up trading patchleather for meat from a nearby settlement pretty frequently. I recently reorganized the stockpiles in the freezer to try to separate meals from ingredients and ingredients from corpses.

Next steps are to start getting some Rimatomics weapons up so I can make use of the huge amount of power the plant can put out. Right now I have it set at like 6%. Once I've got some good coverage I'll probably start on the space ship.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 20, 2018

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

im really dumb

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 20, 2018

wit
Jul 26, 2011

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Starting a new game to learn the entire early/mid/end game a little better: normally I start on the mid difficulty with the random ai. Should I stick with him and bump the difficulty down by one? Should I use a different ai?

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Please ignore my roving blackouts, also since I took this picture a raid came and stole like 4 of my pawns and one died of an infection

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

redreader posted:

Starting a new game to learn the entire early/mid/end game a little better: normally I start on the mid difficulty with the random ai. Should I stick with him and bump the difficulty down by one? Should I use a different ai?

What I've learned is that both Cassandra and Phoebe escalate raids. Though Phoebe goes a bit easier on you, raids get progressively bigger and more serious. With Randy, they don't really scale - you might get an early 8 person raid and struggle to fight them off, then later take out a 3 person tribal raid using your shiny new power armour and charge rifles. I exclusively use Randy now because with C & P it just seems like an inevitable demise unless you leave the planet. With Randy, it feels like you can really live on that world, take your time and bumble around doing what you want. One of my big goals is to wipe all pirate bases from the entire world map. While yeah, making a colony on a new map should reset C & P's raids, with Randy it just feels... better overall.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
What a romantic place for a wedding :stare:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I gotta play this again now that it’s 1.0, don’t I? I hope my mods got updated.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I gotta play this again now that it’s 1.0, don’t I? I hope my mods got updated.

You do, it's in the contract.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
All the really popular mods have updated, get in there and start harvesting body parts :emo:

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

When and why should I be packing people up into a caravan to go make a new colony somewhere? What makes any random spot better than any other random spot, or are you supposed to only up and move when the starship location is revealed?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Caravans are for trading with local settlements and responding to various world events. Packing up and moving is a very situational thing for an entire colony - usually only done when you've got 30 hives you forgot to clear out or something. However, some people pack up and move more regularly to avoid things like toxic fallout. Depends on your play style.

I added RimQuest and More Faction Interaction mods to increase the number of world events, and Sparkling Worlds for different events.

You never HAVE you go caravanning. It can, however, be extremely profitable with the right circumstances.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Does resting after getting wounds treated reduce the chance the wound turns into an infection?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

Does resting after getting wounds treated reduce the chance the wound turns into an infection?

no, only the treatment quality does.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wow, finally hit release, guess that means its time to get back into it with a new colony.

Wasn't there a mod that made colonists smarter about hunting? Mostly just moving closer than maximum range so they might actually hit the target within the first twenty shots?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Hunting Restriction did that but it hasn't been updated to 1.0. The modmaker is active though.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Did they add lockable/permission doors yet or do I still need a mod for that?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wow, finally hit release, guess that means its time to get back into it with a new colony.

Wasn't there a mod that made colonists smarter about hunting? Mostly just moving closer than maximum range so they might actually hit the target within the first twenty shots?
Being further away now makes you less likely to provoke the animal into attacking back, so it's not a complete waste anymore.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Also, hunting is excellent shooting training. I assign every single gunner to hunting now, and the shittier they are, the more experience they gain from trying to hit rats.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

comedyblissoption posted:

I think it affects recovery speed though. So you need to weigh the production loss of not doing anything vs the lost production of working at less than 100%. This can be a big deal if the injury is slowing movement. Unless a thing needs to be done right now I prefer to commit the pawn to bed rest.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Coolguye posted:

no, only the treatment quality does.

Not entirely true. Room cleanliness helps a bit and sterile tiles are usually in the hospital.

Still not much of a difference if you have a good doctor though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

room cleanliness directly affects the treatment quality so it is subsumed in that

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It affects both the treatment quality and the infection roll. The wiki has all of the calculations here.

The relevant part being 'Clean rooms with sterile tiles have a 32% chance multiplier. In contrast, a regular room without any dirt has 50%, and outdoors spaces have 100%.'

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
What does 1.0-era early and midgame base defense look now? I haven't played since Alpha 15, and I see that traps have changed substantially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kestral posted:

What does 1.0-era early and midgame base defense look now? I haven't played since Alpha 15, and I see that traps have changed substantially.

Trap hallways are still really good but involve a proportionately higher amount of resource investment. Generally, for vanilla, I've found that a trap hallway(use wood or preferably steel depending on resource allowances, stone traps are trash) to winnow out a portion of incoming raiders leading into a killbox with sandbagged mini-turrets placed far enough in front of your colonist defense line is fairly reliable against most threats. The colonists should have alternating wall-sandbag-wall cover, with the colonists hiding behind the wall segments for maximum cover. Mini-turrets are terrible at actually killing anything but they'll soak up a lot of firepower that would otherwise be directed at colonists, which is their primary purpose.

Later on uranium slug turrets are fairly reliable en masse, albeit expensive to run. I find autocannon turrets are loving poo poo for cost because of their terrible range bands; they don't shoot as far as uranium slugs but are just as garbage when the enemy closes in, so they don't shoot far enough to snipe but they can't clean up a rushdown very well.

If you want to get saucy, IED roof traps are actually pretty good at killing pirate and tribal raids once you learn their approach paths and are willing to bother setting them up.